Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Awesome! posted:

attack up xl owns gently caress defense

Gem in Potential 2 into monoblos armor and live dangerously with the other skill that makes you sometimes take extra damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Huxley posted:

Dumb question time: Is there any reason to hold off jumping into pubbie groups on low rank with my Jaggi set/Knight Lance? Is it going to match me up with like-geared folks or with high level people slumming? Or just never fire since it's low rank?

there's no matchmaking really. you make a room and people join or you join someone else's room. you can search for 1* rooms or make your own

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
^5 people not wearing Velicoprey S~

But yeah, seriously just eat for defense or elemental resistance if you are getting creamed ever in LR/HR.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Awesome! posted:

attack up xl owns gently caress defense

gently caress yes. I'm done playing safe, full Kut Ku S gear, decorated for attack XL, live on the edge, it makes you get better quicker.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Can you dye armor? If so how?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Drythe posted:

Can you dye armor? If so how?

in your equipment box, go to change appearance. The last option can dye armor.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Only certain parts can be dyed, it's not a great system. I guess I understand why they skimp on a cosmetic system but I wish they add one in a future game.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It's game changing information regardless.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Just depends on the armour really. Zamitros makes you look like the pink ranger.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Madtrixr posted:

gently caress yes. I'm done playing safe, full Kut Ku S gear, decorated for attack XL, live on the edge, it makes you get better quicker.

This is what I've been doing. It's great. Even if you look ridiculous because Kut-Ku armor is silly.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Help Im Alive posted:

Any Gunlance users, which one are you using in G-rank? Also what skills should I be looking out for? I've just been picking armor that looks cool but I guess at this level I should probably start putting more thought into it.

I'm using the Seregios gunlance upgraded to rarity 9 (kill many Seregios and some Molten Tigrex). For an armor set I am using Hermitaur X gemmed for Artillery master, so I have defense/guard/artillery. Please note: This armor is laughably weak to fire, so I'll probably replace it as I move on with some clown suit which gives me pretty much the same thing.

Both of those are relatively easy to get once you get to G-rank though Molten Tigrex needs to be unlocked. Such a fun fight though in an "Oh god why" sort of way.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Everyone should wear full Mono gear and get Attack Up XL. When the quest is over (quickly) everyone can crouch and pretend to be bulls.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm going to kill ten million Seregios and make his sword and X armor and then slot in wide range +2 and just roll around and use potions.

e: I wish wide range worked with mega potions, even if it worked to limited capacity. I guess you want to bring a full stack of potions and a full stack of herbs/shrooms.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 3, 2015

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Something I didn't realize until some nice goon enlightened me, if you're seriously weak to an element that you know you're going to be facing, go for one of the food resist skills instead of fire/water/etc up. The combo is veggie + dairy, and the different cooking types cover the different resist categories. The skills will boost your resist to 8 no matter how low they are (I was fighting G rank zinogre with like -20 thunder which sucked, so this was great).

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What are good HR bug sticks? Brach and Fatalis come to mind?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

ankle posted:

So what exactly is the difference between a poison Switch Axe with an elemental phial and a poison Switch Axe with a poison phial?

The elemental phial increases the poison application damage by 25% (not the poison dot). in sword mode.

I asked earlier in this thread because I couldn't see any reason for poison/dragon phials to still be around, and someone said that the poison phial increased the proc chance to 100% in sword mode, which sounded reasonable to me - you choose between "poison damage in axe mode and more poison damage in sword mode", or "no poison damage in sword mode, 100% poison procs in sword mode".

But I tested it myself with the G.Jaggi SA line, which has a poison phial and latent poison, and it doesn't proc 100% of the time in sword mode.

So I think that they're really just as they used to be in previous games, which is they grant awakening in sword mode and nothing else. Gaijinhunter says in his vid and a number of comments that all SAs get native awakening in sword mode, but I can't test that until I can make a certain SA that has a power phial and latent fire damage (http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/switchaxe/elite-switch-axe if you want to try it yourself).

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
So how do the drops on Hunt-a-thons work? Is there an upper limit to how many you can get? Diminishing returns? Or do you really just get a monster's wroth of parts with each one downed with no limit? Is it a better idea to just farm a lot of enemies, or just get two and out?

Drythe posted:

What are good HR bug sticks? Brach and Fatalis come to mind?

The Nerscylla one is pretty great if you just want to kill things and don't care much about breaks. Poison is great.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Got to Monoblos in Caravan. Monoblos? More like...Easyblos :smug:

Really though it just seemed like a super easy urgent compared to how big they were talking him up. "Oh no, it's a Monoblos! Good luck hunter, I think you'll need it!" *kills him in 10 minutes with no cards and barely using heals* "OH MY GOD WE CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID IT!"

I'm looking at new sets to make, right now I've got Tetsucabra S, but I'd like something with Sharpness+, or maybe I'll make that Nerscylla armor since they're easy enough to farm in the Hunt-A-Thon.

It's always something that's tickled me about these games. You get the build-up for something like lagiacrus or gore magala, huge monsters that are doing something incredibly destructive like shaking the foundation of an island or spreading a monster-frenzying disease...

...then you transition into high rank and NPCs are like, "great job with that walking god... Oh no! A monoblos! It wiggles in the dirt and eats cacti! Save us hunter!"

"A seregios? It's too dangerous! It fights other wyverns, and that's your job! Get out of there!"

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

So how do the drops on Hunt-a-thons work? Is there an upper limit to how many you can get? Diminishing returns? Or do you really just get a monster's wroth of parts with each one downed with no limit? Is it a better idea to just farm a lot of enemies, or just get two and out?
IIRC, you will only get rewards for up to 5, but can continue hunting and carving up to 9. I'm probably wrong about this though

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The left hand of the Stygian Zinogre gunner armor is just a small version of a Gore Magala Dual Blade. This bothers me every time I see my hunter.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Colapops posted:

It's always something that's tickled me about these games. You get the build-up for something like lagiacrus or gore magala, huge monsters that are doing something incredibly destructive like shaking the foundation of an island or spreading a monster-frenzying disease...

...then you transition into high rank and NPCs are like, "great job with that walking god... Oh no! A monoblos! It wiggles in the dirt and eats cacti! Save us hunter!"

"A seregios? It's too dangerous! It fights other wyverns, and that's your job! Get out of there!"

Similarly I was dreading Pink Rathian after all the thread hype and then was super smug after downing her in one go. Red Khezu was more than happy to cut me back down to size though, fucker triple carted me in like 5 minutes

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is G rank Molten Tigrex DLC or something? I've done all my available elder hall quests but I don't see him.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

The Moon Monster posted:

Is G rank Molten Tigrex DLC or something? I've done all my available elder hall quests but I don't see him.

He is one of the ancient text you need to be Bronze Crown and then you start unlocking more quest.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Remember watching this poo poo back almost four years ago?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0OosCOxrw

This was right after the MH3G announcement trailer so people were all like uhhhhh ok at the destructible environments and climbing and mounting. Then the MH4 logo popped up and everybody went whaaaaaaaatttt

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
So if I keep grinding this Guild quest I'll eventually get the monster to G Rank right? If so, around what level does that start happening?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'd probably run as well if I had to fight a Tigrex with a buster sword.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Kooriken posted:

So if I keep grinding this Guild quest I'll eventually get the monster to G Rank right? If so, around what level does that start happening?

i think 30s or 40s for high rank and 86 for G rank. If you are low / high rank the quests go up 3 levels at a time, if you are G they go up 5 at a time

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Glowku posted:

i think 30s or 40s for high rank and 86 for G rank. If you are low / high rank the quests go up 3 levels at a time, if you are G they go up 5 at a time

Neat, thanks. Still gotta slaughter a few more of these Kut-Kus then.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Remember watching this poo poo back almost four years ago?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0OosCOxrw

This was right after the MH3G announcement trailer so people were all like uhhhhh ok at the destructible environments and climbing and mounting. Then the MH4 logo popped up and everybody went whaaaaaaaatttt

It's crazy how much they actually kept from the concepts

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kooriken posted:

Neat, thanks. Still gotta slaughter a few more of these Kut-Kus then.

Keep in mind you'll need a G rank HR to do G rank guild quests.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

a room with pillars like that even shows up in expeditions

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

how many skills can I reasonably expect to get on high rank/g-rank sets or clownsuits? Folks are talking up Attack L/XL but I still really want to get and try Evade+1 and Evade Distance / Guard+1 and Guard Boost when lancing.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Ciaphas posted:

how many skills can I reasonably expect to get on high rank/g-rank sets or clownsuits? Folks are talking up Attack L/XL but I still really want to get and try Evade+1 and Evade Distance / Guard+1 and Guard Boost when lancing.

Depending on the particular set of skills and talisman, between 4 and 7

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I currently have 4 skills on my G rank armor but you can expect 3 easily 4 potentially depending on difficulty of getting them

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Ciaphas posted:

You don't get Attack Up on G Rank sets. It gives a fixed value, so it's trash in G-Rank when you have high attack values. Lance is also better when you focus on either Guard or Evade skills, since it can be hard to make a set that gives high levels of both. There's nothing wrong in going for both, though.

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 3, 2015

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Emalde posted:

Depending on the particular set of skills and talisman, between 4 and 7

Are you counting like evade 2 as 2 skills? i've never seen a set with 7 skills

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ciaphas posted:

A couple if you are just talking about the armor sets themselves. The rest come from gems and the charm. It's why the charm becomes really important later on.

Don't forget those defensive skills can translate into increased damage over time, so go ahead and experiment. I really like Evade+1/Evade Distance myself on SA. Guard+1/+2 is pretty important with the CB too because Guard Point procs where you don't flinch can combo directly to the Super Burst attack.

There's a lot of random poo poo like this so just look around.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Basically have fun and play the way you like to. Just don't build awful skills and no one will comment.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Riftling posted:

You don't get Attack Up on G Rank sets. It gives a fixed value, so it's trash in G-Rank when you have high attack values. Lance is also better when you focus on either Guard or Evade skills, since it can be hard to make a set that gives high levels of both. There's nothing wrong in going for both, though.

I don't think this is true. Crit is only better when you are over 400 true raw and that is really hard to get too. Anyway most people dont get attack up anymore because Edgemaster is Attack up L and Sharpness +1 so most people try to just fit that in by default instead.

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/102419570327/mh4g-popular-template-sets

You can see in the first post of this thread he talks about a guard lancing set that has 6 skills so its possible to get a lot if you have good charms.

Vire fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Vire posted:

I don't think this is true. Crit is only better when you are over 400 true raw and that is really hard to get too. Anyway most people dont get attack up anymore because Edgemaster is Attack up L and Sharpness +1 so most people try to just fit that in by default instead.

what are the equations to find a weapons true raw, because weapons like hammer and GS have retarded high numbers (1500 etc)

• Locked thread