Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My mom got a refurbished Oasis hot/cold tabletop water dispenser last year, and let me tell you, it works a treat. It survives well despite somewhat hard water. The tap is a bit slow, but worth it to have on demand water for tea a floor away from the kitchen. Ours is in the laundry room. Nice to always be just a few steps and a minute from a nice cup of tea at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I just scored a bunch of All-Clad MC2. When it showed up, I read the fine print, and it says not to add any salt until the food is already cooking and/or liquid is boiling (or it'll cause pitting). Are they actually serious? I don't care about "this has been used"-type discoloration, like my older regular All-Clad skillet, but pitting is not okay.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's the same steel as your old All Clads. Stainless steel is very resistant to pitting. I think pitting is going to be minimal and they're just telling you about it because of an over abundance of caution. Fear of pitting is why Olive Garden got laughed at for not salting their pasta water at all. If you didn't notice it on your older All Clads its not going to be noticeable on your new one.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 23, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Cool, I definitely didn't remember that from my older regular All-Clad, so I thought it was just an MC2 thing. Thanks.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

I just scored a bunch of All-Clad MC2. When it showed up, I read the fine print, and it says not to add any salt until the food is already cooking and/or liquid is boiling (or it'll cause pitting). Are they actually serious? I don't care about "this has been used"-type discoloration, like my older regular All-Clad skillet, but pitting is not okay.

They are serious because a metallurgist will tell you it will cause pitting. And it will, but you'll never notice, as stainless steal actually heals its chrome oxide coating throughout its life.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Does anyone here have experience with portable dishwashers? I'm moving soon into an older house that doesn't have a dishwasher, and so a portable model is a must. Any brand or model recommendations, or other portable dishwasher advice?

With the amount of cooking I do, a counter top model isn't going to work, so I'm looking exclusively at the models on casters that can also serve as counter space in a small kitchen.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
They work like dishwashers from the 80s work. That is, they're effective if you pre-wash, they sanitize well, but they're very loud and not very quick. They also take up a lot of floorspace in your kitchen. If it were me I'd just wash dishes by hand, which can be a very soothing nightly activity!

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
If you're struggling with a large amount of dishes you may want to change your washing process. Starting a dishpit before you start cooking can be tremendously helpful. Washing things during cooking 'downtime' (searing, roasting, reducing, waiting for water to boil, etc) can make the pile so much more manageable, especially if you run through as many spoons and containers as I do.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
If I'm interested in an electric mixer for making bread is there one that actually works decently for 50-100? I don't really feel like dropping 200+.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nothing in that price range is adequate. Except your arms, which are free.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I paid about $150 for a Bosch Compact last year and it works pretty well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

fart simpson posted:

I paid about $150 for a Bosch Compact last year and it works pretty well.
Symmetry had a lot of nice things to say about Bosch mixers, especially for bread, but they're $200 on Amazon right now, so roll up your sleeves!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 3, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Craigslist. That's exactly the kind of thing someone puts on their registry, uses twice in five years, then tosses.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Megasabin posted:

If I'm interested in an electric mixer for making bread is there one that actually works decently for 50-100? I don't really feel like dropping 200+.

You won't find any decent ones in your price range. Yes they will mix things, but bread dough is pretty tough. It can ruin gears and plastic parts easily and some of the "shafts" and cogwheels inside the gears of el-cheapo models tend to be plastic.

Unless you bake tons of bread I seriously recommend kneading with your hands, you need to learn to "feel the dough" as tacky as it sounds. You will soon be able to tell when the consistency is right etc.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've kneaded by hand for years, but when I got my Bosch Compact mixer I found myself really making bread a lot more often. It's much more convenient and I don't notice a difference in quality.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Don't some people use bread machines to knead the dough? You could probably get one of those at a thrift store for practically nothing.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Hopper posted:

Unless you bake tons of bread I seriously recommend kneading with your hands, you need to learn to "feel the dough" as tacky as it sounds. You will soon be able to tell when the consistency is right etc.

I dunno, it shouldn't quite be tacky, more claylike.

:v:

Anyway yes, Bosch mixers kick rear end for bread, even the small model. Now they're cheap, so go to it. They're useful for other stuff, too; basically anything you'd use a Kitchenaid for, a Bosch can do.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Is there an equivalent of this thread for laundry machines and other household stuff?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

various cheeses posted:

Is there an equivalent of this thread for laundry machines and other household stuff?

Product Recommendation Thread is usually pretty good.

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007

electricmonk500 posted:

So I've been thinking about electric grills, like the kind intended for Korean barbecue or yakitori. Are these things actually useful in a broader sense, or are they pretty much just for the novelty of grilling things at a table? Given that my current oven has a lovely drawer broiler which is kind of painful to use, I was thinking it might be useful as a replacement for some of that functionality as well.

I was eyeing this one since it has good reviews, main complaints being that it takes ~10 mins to heat up, and is only big enough for 1-2 people, neither of which bothers me. Curious if there is a consensus on these things over here, are they useless bullshit, or might it actually be useful on a day-to-day basis?

No opinions about these things? Better thread to post in?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

electricmonk500 posted:

My suggestion is not to bother. I've tried several electric grills (including the Livart) they are all underwhelming. They take so long to cook, I find myself wanting to just cook the rest of the meat on the stove.

If you want to do tabletop cooking, I'd advice getting an electric hotpot for shabu shabu. Much faster cooking and more satisfying.

Or you could get a induction plate and a really shallow pan. You'd have better results.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 4, 2015

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
All the tabletop grills for home are puny weaklings because grilling creates smoke and homes don't have vents right above the dinner table. Tabletop grills would also be more dangerous and nobody wants to be responsible for home fires so they make them weak.

There are a few Japanese grills that can use coal on the tabletop but they're super small and can just do a couple skewers at a time. Anything larger is labeled "for outdoor tabletop use" for the obvious reasons.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 4, 2015

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

icehewk posted:

Starting a dishpit
I keep reading this as "dipshit" and it's making me giggle :laugh:

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007

.Z. posted:

My suggestion is not to bother. I've tried several electric grills (including the Livart) they are all underwhelming.

Steve Yun posted:

All the tabletop grills for home are puny weaklings

Ok, pretty much what I expected then. Thanks!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Can anyone in the industry recommend me a water filtration system? My brother needs some for his restaurant and wanted to know what brands to look at and which to avoid if any.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

deimos posted:

Can anyone in the industry recommend me a water filtration system? My brother needs some for his restaurant and wanted to know what brands to look at and which to avoid if any.

Hoshizaki, pretty much the industry standard.

notmandatory
May 18, 2006

Kalista posted:

Does anyone here have experience with portable dishwashers? I'm moving soon into an older house that doesn't have a dishwasher, and so a portable model is a must. Any brand or model recommendations, or other portable dishwasher advice?

With the amount of cooking I do, a counter top model isn't going to work, so I'm looking exclusively at the models on casters that can also serve as counter space in a small kitchen.

I had one for several years, and it was definitely a pain. We wound up using it pretty regularly, though, just because we suck at doing dishes. It actually cleaned pretty well, but it took up so much space, and it was annoying not to be able to use the kitchen sink for a couple of hours while it ran. Something important to consider if you do get one is that it uses a special adapter attached to your faucet to connect. Some modern faucets cheap out and use plastic threads to hold the screen in. The pressure of the dishwasher connection is too much for the plastic threads, and the adapter will fall right out. Be sure your faucet has metal threads. We actually wound up having to buy a new one (and the old one was Delta, so don't assume that to ok, just because it is name brand).

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Kalista posted:

If you've got a laundry laundry room close to the kitchen, an option is to just put a regular dishwasher in there, like we do in our current rental. We stacked the dryer on top, actually works out well since the dryer is at eye level now. Yeah, it's annoying to haul the dishes in there, but we just pile them in a washtub and carry everything at once, so it's not a massive inconvenience. Anything that gets me out of washing by hand is worth it.

I can't remember how it was in the US, but here in Australia most regular dishwashers can be had with a finished top, so look fine if they're not under a counter. At our previous rental, the dishwasher was just sitting up a against a wall next to the kitchen, and I ran the drain and water hoses out the bottom of a cupboard and along the baseboard over to the dishwasher. Not the prettiest, but it's not like I could drill holes in the walls. Most dishwashers should be good for 3-4m of drain hose length, so you've usually got some placement options.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Any recommendations for a baking stone/sheet? Looking to bake pizzas and bread. Price is around 50-70 dollars.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Find a steel mill near you that will cut you a 14x16 slab of 1/4 inch thick a36 steel for about $45. File the edges, scrub with soap and steel wool. Rub with oil and bake at 500 for an hour.

Now you have a baking steel!

(If you still want a stone go to Home Goods or Ross or TJ Maxx, they should have stones for $12)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Find a steel mill near you that will cut you a 14x16 slab of 1/4 inch thick a36 steel for about $45. File the edges, scrub with soap and steel wool. Rub with oil and bake at 500 for an hour.

Now you have a baking steel!

(If you still want a stone go to Home Goods or Ross or TJ Maxx, they should have stones for $12)

To be more specific, you would need to find a sheet rolling mill. Not every mill produces this type of product.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sur la table sells baking steels for $79. I"m sure you can buy them cheaper elsewhere without going to the trouble of finding a steel mill in the US in 2015.

edit: here's a $42 (plus shipping) one on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LBKWSKS/

edit the second: That guy also sells a ½" thick one. Is it overkill to go that thick? Is ⅜ a better compromise?

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 6, 2015

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
This one too

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NMLKW6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_JYA-ub0SXW3VJ

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm hoping baking steel gets their new griddle steel released soon:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/the-food-lab-the-new-reversible-baking-steelg.html

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That one lists the thickness as .1 inches though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

electricmonk500 posted:

Get an induction burner!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That one lists the thickness as .1 inches though.

Oh well gently caress that then

Edit: someone in the reviews says its "about a quarter inch thick" but who knows just buy the other one its not that much more.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm hoping baking steel gets their new griddle steel released soon:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/the-food-lab-the-new-reversible-baking-steelg.html

$159 for a steel slab with a troth milled to catch grease?

If you're that interested in having a griddle, you should just get a griddle, you can get commercial tabletop models for about double that price, and they have actual grease traps. And you'd have the convenience of access to your burners.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Can someone explain to me why I'd want a baking steel over a baking stone? All I can really see are downsides: weight, corrosion, lack of moisture wicking from stoneware, possible flavor effects due to rusting, which is accelerated by high temperatures, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

$159 for a steel slab with a troth milled to catch grease?

If you're that interested in having a griddle, you should just get a griddle, you can get commercial tabletop models for about double that price, and they have actual grease traps. And you'd have the convenience of access to your burners.

I already want a baking steel, this one just has an extra feature. I really, really don't want a standalone griddle.

• Locked thread