Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

http://kut.org/post/besomebody-speaker-draws-controversy-austin-high-school

tldr high school calls out ted messiah complex person about their 'passionaries'

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

duTrieux. posted:

dude randomly capitalizes poo poo like a nutjob, too

oh my god it's like a nonreligious televangelist

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Metrication posted:

they all went to private school btw

that's the one that is called public school in america, since british "public schools" are what you would call private schools in america, right?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

sa is not the last vbulletin 2.x site in existence, but it appears to be the last one that isn't full of online pharmacy spam

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Powered+by%3A+vBulletin+Version+2%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

doomworld's forums run vbulletin 2.2.5 and ain't full of spam either

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

graph posted:

tldr high school calls out ted messiah complex person about their 'passionaries'

there were billboards all over austin for this poo poo when i was there for tcea in february.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

loooool

“It’s really crazy how close to real life we can get with art,” marvels Gizmodo.
“The results are incredible, so much so that you’ll probably spend most of the time loudly shouting at the screen as your brain refuses to cave in and accept the truth,” gasps Huffington Post Tech.
“The photo-realistic images show how skilled computer artists have become – thanks to advancements in image manipulation software,” exclaims The Mirror.

loving lmao

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
job listings that start out asking if you are PASSIONATE about mobile software or social networking or whatever are giant blinking red lights, signalling that what they really want are programmers who are so excited to work in domain X that theyll happily allow themselves to be lowballed and exploited because darn it theyre realizing their PASSION

not just programmers/it/tech jobs either - somebody repost that rogue brewing job advert

oh, and gently caress anyone who thinks that what the kidz today need to succeed is some rah-rah talk about following your dream and trying real hard. properly fund schools? ensure equitable access to higher education? end the student loan racket? do away with mostly-mandatory unpaid internships? gently caress that noise, we'll just send some motivational speakers out to talk about the importance of trying really hard (so the kids will internalize the explanation that if they dont succeed its because they didnt try hard enough and passionately enough, and not because the system is increasingly rigged against you if you arent born into the top 5 percent )

good on those austin high schoolers for calling out that bullshit for what it is :unsmith:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i had a mandatory unpaid internship as one of my degree requirements. the company wanted to pay me but my school wouldnt let them

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

good on those austin high schoolers for calling out that bullshit for what it is :unsmith:

yeah, the kids are pretty much allright

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux. posted:

yeah, the kids are pretty much allright
love that dumbass flipping out. hey idiot, what if those kids' shared PASSION was for calling out bullshit? seems like theyre pretty INSPIRED to me!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

you're not a passionary so you just can't understand INnovation and how to DISRUPT the paraDIGM with a PROtestant work ethic.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Dolomite posted:

there were billboards all over austin for this poo poo when i was there for tcea in february.

yeah, i was wondering what the hell all those were, and this actually makes perfect sense.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its like the dude types in that weird lame graphic design that all the 'modern churches' use

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
guys did you know? we can buy a 7% smaller sign if we just take out all the spaces and bold every other word

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

guys did you know? we can buy a 7% smaller sign if we just take out all the spaces and bold every other word

spaces? let's get rid of the vowels! i mean, it worked for the jews right?!?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

duTrieux. posted:

spaces? let's get rid of the vowels! i mean, it worked for the jews right?!?

I dunno, it's pretty hard to beat the romans @ shortening things

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
what if they also didnt use vowels though? it would be ultimate maximum efficiency ownage

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FMguru posted:

oh, and gently caress anyone who thinks that what the kidz today need to succeed is some rah-rah talk about following your dream and trying real hard. properly fund schools? ensure equitable access to higher education? end the student loan racket? do away with mostly-mandatory unpaid internships? gently caress that noise, we'll just send some motivational speakers out to talk about the importance of trying really hard (so the kids will internalize the explanation that if they dont succeed its because they didnt try hard enough and passionately enough, and not because the system is increasingly rigged against you if you arent born into the top 5 percent )

what are you talking about??? as the head of proctor and gamble's social media marketing for nine straight years, this man who graduated fifteen years ago and has never held a non-management/non-manager position in his life is fully qualified to tell poor people how to get ahead. hell, he even quit his job once!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Jonny 290 posted:

its like the dude types in that weird lame graphic design that all the 'modern churches' use

I work across some Vineyard church thing and that kind of graphic is everywhere.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
as somebody who had to spend a quarter of a million dollars and leverage numerous corporate connections and contacts in order to pursue my dream, let me tell you all about how easy it is to pursue your dream, a dream somebody just paid me one million dollars to continue following

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
ted audiences are literally dumber than a bunch of high school seniors.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Greatbacon posted:

looks less like theyre shortening him and more like theyre stretching him out tbh

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

ted audiences are literally dumber than a bunch of high school seniors.

this guy isn't even ted, he's tedX

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

graph posted:

"passion economy" :barf:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

actually more like
:barf:
"passion economy"

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
hey what do they call that economy where money is exchanged for goods & services?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Greatbacon posted:

idk revolutionary france was pretty good at shortening also

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

duTrieux. posted:

this guy isn't even ted, he's tedX

tedx is like an unsupervised special needs class

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Maximum Leader posted:

not cool
don't insult the special needs ppl man

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Pinterest Mom posted:

time to disrupt student debt
with a lottery

I'm just waiting for them to pull the uber "we're not a ___ company we are a technology company therefore laws don't apply to us" but instead of taxi, gambling.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wild EEPROM posted:

I'm just waiting for them to pull the uber "we're not a ___ company we are a technology company therefore laws don't apply to us" but instead of taxi, gambling.

A tech company that specializes in providing cash incentivized statistic experiments with a mobile service distributed via a cloud platform.

We call it gamblr.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it isn't gambling they are just soliciting information regarding which bank accounts are willing to have $1 withdrawn from them and providing information regarding where an algorithm determined is the ideal location for the sum of those withdrawals.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

Meanwhile, others came to Shaikh’s defense in the comments section, saying they were inspired by his message.

"This is one the REALEST posts I have ever read," wrote one commenter. "Man, it jumped up and grabbed me by the throat and forced me to listen. I am not surprised it sparked some animosity to those being called out as the culprits endorsing a passionLESS existence. It seems to me, after working 40 years in the Education industry, that many of the teachers and administrators – while well-intentioned – are bitter and stale."

loooool "others"

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
discreet end to end shipping placing a premium on privacy, smugglr

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Phoning It In posted:

hey what do they call that economy where money is exchanged for goods & services?

prostitution?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

autisanal posts about Islam and computers that are all technically correct

mechr

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

FMguru posted:

looks less like theyre shortening him and more like theyre stretching him out tbh

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
quote/username combo

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Phoning It In posted:

Who needs money to have an economy? Not us in the next decade, according to this expert.

It's like buying houses, but with bitcoin :v:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Maximum Leader posted:

the only good tedx was the one with goldie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts