Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

seiferguy posted:

I'm thinking of picking up an iPad Air 2 on craigslist. How can you tell the difference between the Air 1 and 2?

The Air 2 has no mute/rotation lock switch, is slightly thinner, and has a single row of large holes for its speaker grill instead of the Air 1's multiple rows of tiny dots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Karsh posted:

The Air 2 has no mute/rotation lock switch, is slightly thinner, and has a single row of large holes for its speaker grill instead of the Air 1's multiple rows of tiny dots.

And a touch ID sensor instead of a traditional home button.

Note that the Apple retail box just says 'iPad Air', but the photo of the device shows no mute switch on the Air 2.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

seiferguy posted:

I'm thinking of picking up an iPad Air 2 on craigslist. How can you tell the difference between the Air 1 and 2?

This is old but it helps identify older models.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ipad/which-ipad-do-i-have-3528437/

The air 2 is pretty obvious because it's absurdly thin and light. If you pick it up and say, "holy poo poo" it's an air 2. If you're just like, yeah, nice, it's an air.

Really though, You can tell at a glance because it has no orientation switch above the audio controls and also has TouchID instead of a normal home button. The button should be featureless, not showing a rounded square.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

I bought the iPhone6 when it first came out (got the 64GB version) and then later was given an iPad Air 16GB as a work bonus.

I've quickly found that 16GB doesn't amount to diddly squat when storing TV shows and was wondering if there was a way for me to transfer files from one device to the other without iTunes/a wifi network?

If you use plex, it will see the other iDevice as a plex server and you can stream from it. Getting it there requires plex pass though.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

tuyop posted:

I think AirDrop needs wifi to work, but it's perfect for what you need to do.

The other option is Dropbox or google drive. That way you'll be able to access the videos from both devices without using space in either. That'll also eat your data so wifi would be good.

I've transferred using airdrop on a long train ride before. I don't think I was tethering at the time, just Bluetooth to Bluetooth.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Hed posted:

Also, is there a one-stop shop to buy all of the replacement materials I'll need? I have a heat gun, tools, bench, clamps, etc. Thanks!

edit: iPad Air 1 if it matters. Screen is still functioning perfectly.

edit2: I just googled some more and bought a kit off ipadscreenrepair dot com
Good luck - when I had to get mine fixed there was a local joint that did it overnight; with a facebook like discount and some other tomfoolery I ended up paying $120 for the fix, and it came back like new - http://www.missionrepair.com/ - I know you bought the kit already, but maybe someone can use this info.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

I've transferred using airdrop on a long train ride before. I don't think I was tethering at the time, just Bluetooth to Bluetooth.

Yeah airdrop uses only Bluetooth.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Yeah airdrop uses only Bluetooth.

AirDrop sets up an adhoc wifi connection for the data transfer and uses Bluetooth for the initial handshaking and advertising. It doesn't need both devices to be connected to the same AP.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
In brief, I wanted to ask this thread if I should keep the iPad I just bought.

I have wanted an iPad for a long time, but I could not afford 5-700 dollars for a high-memory model of one of the recent pads. Very recently, I picked up a very gently used iPad 3, 64 GB, for what I think is a good price of $256 American, and I can return it by the end of March if I don't want it any longer. It would only see fairly light use; I have an iPod 5 and I just want to use the pad for a few videos, a few apps that the iPod is too small for screen-wise, and my quite large collection of .pdf files, both recreational and professional.

My major concern is, this being 2 generations old, am I going to run into software compatability problems? I had an original iPhone for a long time, and that happened to me after several years. My secondary concern is if this is a good deal. Seems to be, but I want to make sure I did not get ripped off. It came with charger and some of those crappy iBuds or whatever that do not fit into human ears.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

I have wanted an iPad for a long time, but I could not afford 5-700 dollars for a high-memory model of one of the recent pads. Very recently, I picked up a very gently used iPad 3, 64 GB, for what I think is a good price of $256 American, and I can return it by the end of March if I don't want it any longer. It would only see fairly light use; I have an iPod 5 and I just want to use the pad for a few videos, a few apps that the iPod is too small for screen-wise, and my quite large collection of .pdf files, both recreational and professional.

My major concern is, this being 2 generations old, am I going to run into software compatability problems? I had an original iPhone for a long time, and that happened to me after several years. My secondary concern is if this is a good deal. Seems to be, but I want to make sure I did not get ripped off. It came with charger and some of those crappy iBuds or whatever that do not fit into human ears.

I still use a third generation iPad and haven't really run into any issues with compatibility. There are a few apps that run a bit slow now given that the devices are several generations old now, but overall I don't have any major problems. I use mine mostly for watching Netflix and reading PDFs, so if that will be the bulk of what you're doing, it should be just fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's actually three generations old and feels pretty long in the tooth at this point. Looking at Swappa, it looks like you got an okay deal. I'm not sure it will get the next version of iOS. That said, for what you want to do with it, it'll be okay.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The iPad 3 aged worse than the 2 and it's the bulkiest. If it works for you then more power to you but realize that it's basically not a very good iPad experience.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't think that's a good deal at all. The iPad Mini 2 32GB is $399 refurbished as an example (on Apples website) and it's just a way better buy. I'm sure you could find other deals online or ebay. At the very least get the 4th Gen, the 3rd is pretty well known for being slow at this point. But for something you are going to want to use for 2-4 years, it's really worth spending extra to get either the Mini 2 or one of the Airs, they'll just last longer.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't think that's a good deal at all. The iPad Mini 2 32GB is $399 refurbished as an example (on Apples website) and it's just a way better buy. I'm sure you could find other deals online or ebay. At the very least get the 4th Gen, the 3rd is pretty well known for being slow at this point. But for something you are going to want to use for 2-4 years, it's really worth spending extra to get either the Mini 2 or one of the Airs, they'll just last longer.

If someone's specifically looking at full-size iPads, I wouldn't recommend a Mini.

I have an iPad 2 and an iPad 4, and I bought my girlfriend an iPad Air 2 for Christmas. I don't dig the smaller screen of the Mini at all, and she agrees.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Just want to say that while I was in the States last month I picked up the Logitech K811 people recommended in the thread. It's pretty much the best keyboard ever. Small and compact enough to fit in my bag, but still feels amazing to type on. Plus I love how you can switch between devices so easily. I wish it had more functionality, but for just typing it's great. Really recommend it to anyone who wants a bluetooth keyboard.

Does anyone happen to have any keyboard case recommendations for the keyboard? I would like for it to be a bit more protected inside my bag.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cryptoclastic posted:

Just want to say that while I was in the States last month I picked up the Logitech K811 people recommended in the thread. It's pretty much the best keyboard ever. Small and compact enough to fit in my bag, but still feels amazing to type on. Plus I love how you can switch between devices so easily. I wish it had more functionality, but for just typing it's great. Really recommend it to anyone who wants a bluetooth keyboard.

Does anyone happen to have any keyboard case recommendations for the keyboard? I would like for it to be a bit more protected inside my bag.

Cosmos Neoprene case for the K810/K811. Use it all the time and it fits perfectly.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I have an iPad Mini (1st gen) for sale in SA Mart if anyone is interested.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to thank everybody for the feedback about my post from a few days ago. I ended up returning that iPad 3, mostly for financial reasons but also because it was dated and they would have stopped updating the OS on it within 2 years, tops. Also, as stated, I did play with it a bit and it seemed to run slowly in general. I didn't mind the bulkiness as I am a big man with big hands, so for me smaller is not always better.

Perhaps someday I will have a decent job with some actual security and I can afford to get myself a proper, modern tablet, but that's as may be.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Uh, is there a filebrowser or something for iCloud Drive on iOS?

Alternatively: how can I store my 3rd party books such that my iBooks progress/notes are synced. My macs are happy enough to open them from arbritrary locations but I guess iPads not so much

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JustJeff88 posted:

I just wanted to thank everybody for the feedback about my post from a few days ago. I ended up returning that iPad 3, mostly for financial reasons but also because it was dated and they would have stopped updating the OS on it within 2 years, tops. Also, as stated, I did play with it a bit and it seemed to run slowly in general. I didn't mind the bulkiness as I am a big man with big hands, so for me smaller is not always better.

Perhaps someday I will have a decent job with some actual security and I can afford to get myself a proper, modern tablet, but that's as may be.

Good call. The bulkiness isn't so much physical size -- more so that it's like roughly the exact same dimensions and thickness of the iPad 2, but noticeably heavier. The extra weight just makes the thing awkward if you're going to be holding it like a book in order to read or watch videos.

I'd keep an eye out on the Apple refurb store from time to time for a refurb Air. You may strike a good deal on it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Milkman posted:

Annoyingly , no. Another half-thought out release from Apple! Considering the proper iCloud photo app is only coming out this month , I'd say it'll be a while before we see anything like this.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

The Milkman posted:

Alternatively: how can I store my 3rd party books such that my iBooks progress/notes are synced. My macs are happy enough to open them from arbritrary locations but I guess iPads not so much

Download Documents 5 and use that -- it's still not ideal, but it's as good as you'll get.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Accipiter posted:

If someone's specifically looking at full-size iPads, I wouldn't recommend a Mini.

I have an iPad 2 and an iPad 4, and I bought my girlfriend an iPad Air 2 for Christmas. I don't dig the smaller screen of the Mini at all, and she agrees.

I really really was dead set on the newest Air. Super dead set. And I only "Regret" it because the hardware is actually closer to my 6+ instead of being a full gen behind. But the size itself? I'm so glad I went mini instead of larger. I actually carry this thing around, I'm not 18-25 with a backpack/purse, and its the perfect pair for when I want more than a phone and not a computer.

Without a doubt I'd make the same choice again. Love my mini 3 and love it to pieces.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

EbolaIvory posted:

I really really was dead set on the newest Air. Super dead set. And I only "Regret" it because the hardware is actually closer to my 6+ instead of being a full gen behind. But the size itself? I'm so glad I went mini instead of larger. I actually carry this thing around, I'm not 18-25 with a backpack/purse, and its the perfect pair for when I want more than a phone and not a computer.

Without a doubt I'd make the same choice again. Love my mini 3 and love it to pieces.

Even though I mostly use my iPad 3 for Netflix and other media consumption, I'll definitely be getting a Mini when I upgrade. While the Airs are much, much lighter than the iPad 3, I also heavily prefer the smaller form factor like you do. I personally think it's better for reading and throwing around throughout the day, whether that be at home or out and about.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I really prefer the mini over the full size as well. I hope the next upgrade cycle isn't a joke like the last one.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

EbolaIvory posted:

Wait, you seriously have a 6+ and a mini?
That combination really does seem redundant.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I just recently switched from the mini to the Air 2 and it feels like the same weight and I love the larger screen.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Man, after about a month my touch sensor to unlock the iPad Air 2 has had lots of problems. It's like it doesn't recognize my print at all from time to time. It will not work for a couple of days, suddenly work again, then stop. And when I say it doesn't work, I mean it cannot even sense that I'm putting my finger down. I'm sure I am doing it correctly because I've been using the touch sensor on my iPhone for over a year.

Oh and my power adapter doesn't work anymore either. Just bad luck.

I guess I have to go to the Apple store. I hate dealing with those guys. Last time I went in there I mentioned something about hooking my iPhone up to a PC and I had to listen to them try to sell me a Mac for 5 minutes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

wooger posted:

It is, but in a backwards rear end way because of app compatibility. I want to watch Netflix and play Hearthstone while pooping, but I have to watch Netflix on the 6+ and play Hearthstone on the mini. The 6+ should really just run iPad apps natively, goddamnit.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

It is, but in a backwards rear end way because of app compatibility. I want to watch Netflix and play Hearthstone while pooping, but I have to watch Netflix on the 6+ and play Hearthstone on the mini. The 6+ should really just run iPad apps natively, goddamnit.

gently caress I can barely do one extra thing while pooping.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's not that hard. Hearthstone is a simple game with lots of downtime :v:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

wooger posted:

As much as people think the 6+ is huge, Its not much bigger than my LG G3 I moved from. Also, Its much smaller than my iPad mini. 2 inches diag is a big deal. More so when its such small screens to begin with. I mean look at the jump from a 24 inch monitor to 27. Feels giant.

Plus, I really dislike using a small phone. I use it for navigation, music in my car, and heaps of other poo poo that a smaller screen would be bad for, and the iPad even being a mini is just too loving big to throw in and out of a dash mount, or the cup holder, or the hole above my radio, etc. iPads used for in the house, iPhone still fits in my pocket. Good combo honestly. I totally get why some people wouldnt want a 6+ for the size though. Theres a ton of wasted bezel space and considering the screen is only .2 of an inch larger than my G3 and my G3 is legit smaller all around, its shocking they couldnt shave a little off. No complaints though, With the leather case its just the right size :)

Bottom Liner posted:

It's not that hard. Hearthstone is a simple game with lots of downtime :v:

Also one of the reasons I got an iPad. Hearthstone. Was totally bummed when my 6+ couldnt grab it though :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Also one of the reasons I got an iPad. Hearthstone. Was totally bummed when my 6+ couldnt grab it though :(
Suppooooooosedly coming soon™. You can install it via jailbreak now, but you have to manually update it every patch.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bottom Liner posted:

Suppooooooosedly coming soon™. You can install it via jailbreak now, but you have to manually update it every patch.

Yeah I got the iPad so I could stop throwing hacked copies on my phones (android). No jailbreak for me. Too much work.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bottom Liner posted:

The continuing ability for developers to take the piss like this is a blight on iOS.

Look at Tweetbot: iPhone version was updated for iOS8 within weeks. iPad version isn't even updated for iOS7 yet. The versions must share 99% of code, and in fact the iPhone version works perfectly on iPad *if* you jailbreak.

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

Has anyone here used the new Adonit styluses for notetaking? I have a first gen iPad Air.

I have no art skills whatsover, so this would be used solely for scribbling notes/in lieu of a whiteboard. I've tried the Bamboo styluses before, but found the tips too big (I typically prefer 0.5 or 0.7 mm tip pens). If the Adonits are good, does anyone have thoughts on Jot Mini vs Jot Pro?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

wooger posted:

The continuing ability for developers to take the piss like this is a blight on iOS.

Look at Tweetbot: iPhone version was updated for iOS8 within weeks. iPad version isn't even updated for iOS7 yet. The versions must share 99% of code, and in fact the iPhone version works perfectly on iPad *if* you jailbreak.

What is broken about the iPhone version if you don't jailbreak? The iPhone version shows up in the App Store on my iPad. I know bitmap images look pixelated, but I wouldn't think jailbreaking would fix that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

dpbjinc posted:

What is broken about the iPhone version if you don't jailbreak? The iPhone version shows up in the App Store on my iPad. I know bitmap images look pixelated, but I wouldn't think jailbreaking would fix that.

If you jailbreak you can use something like FullForce to make the app use all of the iPad screen, instead of running it in compatibility mode.

Tweetbot works just fine like this -- the UI looks like it's running on an iPhone 6+++, but at least it uses the whole screen for content and it's rendered natively instead of through the fake low-res filter.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Are there any screen protectors that actually help against smudging from my greasy goon hands? Not terribly worried about actually protecting the screen since I have a cover+case thing but it seems to get dirtier much faster than my iphone which has some sort of protector on it but I don't remember what brand it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The tempered glass ones generally come with an oleophobic coating.