Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Dom4 is a week sale for steam this week for 18bux it seems so those of you on the fence buy buy buy. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey folks, I tried this game a while back with goons but I did the dumb thing and signed up for too many games and suffered extreme burnout which ended in me AI'ing myself in every game simultaneously out of frustration and exhaustion.

I want to try and get back into the game (reasonably this time) and thanks to the sale I've convinced a couple friends to get it too. Is there any recommended age for a first game, and also is it kosher to have one or two non-goons in a brainwinkle game?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

early age is fun and cool because (nearly) everyone is really magical and there's not nearly as much BLOOD/ASTRAL SUPREMACY that taints the later ages and makes those boring as poo poo sometimes

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

I think there are already some non-goons on brainwrinkle. Just jump on irc and him a message about your friends.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh ffs... I built an expensive Jade Mask and it's only usable by Ctis. :(

They should tag it as a national items for them (like Crown of the Shah or Black Laurel or Huaca Headdress), instead of being available to everyone but only usable by them.

I also learned that the cheap LA Pangea Stymphalian Bird are a great anti-Horror weapon. They beat a Gore Tide Horror with good consistency, flying and attacking in the first turn before he can act and use his great 50% regen, thanks to doing a shitton of attacks focused on a single target.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

early age is fun and cool because (nearly) everyone is really magical and there's not nearly as much BLOOD/ASTRAL SUPREMACY

What is the reason for this anyway? Is it the nations involved or some aspect of magic that changes between the ages?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Turin Turambar posted:

They should tag it as a national items for them (like Crown of the Shah or Black Laurel or Huaca Headdress), instead of being available to everyone but only usable by them.

Technically, it's only usuable by the cold-blooded. So Agarthans, Zotz, various pretenders, and Lamias can all use it.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

Turin Turambar posted:

Atleast now noone else can build it and use it against you!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Chomp8645 posted:

What is the reason for this anyway? Is it the nations involved or some aspect of magic that changes between the ages?

Yeah, it's mainly about the paths available to national mages. Although EA also has more common magic sites, and caps provide more gems than in other ages.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

early age is fun and cool because (nearly) everyone is really magical and there's not nearly as much BLOOD/ASTRAL SUPREMACY that taints the later ages and makes those boring as poo poo sometimes

That's not quite true, blood is rarest in MA. MA in general I find to be a more newbie-friendly age, EA just has too low of income and you're liable to hit the upkeep wall pretty quick and not know what to do about it (or at least that's how I felt trying to play EA games as a newbie). Though there are probably a handful of EA nations (elves) that, if built correctly, would be great for a newbie to play. In general I would be tempted to recommend MA as a good place to start.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 4, 2015

Melum
Oct 14, 2012
So, I'm playing EA C'tis in an mp game on another forum. My awake pretender is a E3S5 Net of Names, I have a fuckton (50+) of necromancers and a bunch of Adepts of the Silver Order A2S2 1(AEFS). I'm fighting EA Xibalba with a W9B4F4 imprisoned pretender, who has a very big lead on the next largest nation and is probably the best player. How should I fight this guy?

Xibalba counters a big chunk of Alteration (which I've thus neglected this game), since most of his units are blind, fly, and have magic weapons. I have Evocation and Enchantment at 7, and am currently planning to use rigor mortis, skellyspam, 300+ longdead horsemen and shimmering field via communion, with the slaves thunder striking and stellar cascading. He's grounded by Perpetual Storm, and will likely bring 300-500 sun guides and ozelotl. Is this going to be enough, or should I try for some research goal? I have the most research, and was considering going up Conjuration for Well of Misery, followed by tartarian gate, though I doubt I'll manage to get Gift of Health.

Also, should I keep my pretender at home or risk her in combat?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
E3S5 honestly doesn't seem that useful in battle unless you're doing stuff like using Astral Travel to cap thrones. Won a game that way.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

Dom4 is a week sale for steam this week for 18bux it seems so those of you on the fence buy buy buy. :getin:

Thanks for the heads up. Just picked this up, looking forward to trying a newbie MP game.

Cardtriq
Feb 21, 2015
I've had this game for a while, but only now have the time and inclination to start MP. Verr, could ya let me know if you find a good newbie game. I haven't see an open one in my thirty seconds of looking.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Turin Turambar posted:

I also learned that the cheap LA Pangea Stymphalian Bird are a great anti-Horror weapon. They beat a Gore Tide Horror with good consistency, flying and attacking in the first turn before he can act and use his great 50% regen, thanks to doing a shitton of attacks focused on a single target.

If you've got the bodhisattva pretender and you get the dragon girl special event, the dragon girl can also use that mask. It's not a bad mask for her, actually.

Melum
Oct 14, 2012

amuayse posted:

E3S5 honestly doesn't seem that useful in battle unless you're doing stuff like using Astral Travel to cap thrones. Won a game that way.

Picked those levels to make rings of sorcery/wizardry, but figured I could whip out earthquakes if needed, especially now that I have mass flight. But again, Xibalba.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

amuayse posted:

It can crank out gifts of heaven, aka the chaos dunk. How does having more paths than needed to cast a spell work with cross path spells? Will any extra paths reduce the fatigue cost or just specific ones?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
only the primary path counts for scaling / penetration / fatigue reduction

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
I was wondering this, can you use a gem to boost up your secondary path for a crosspath spell?
Can a B1F1 cast Hellfire (B1F2) by burning a F gem?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

M_Bison posted:

I was wondering this, can you use a gem to boost up your secondary path for a crosspath spell?
Can a B1F1 cast Hellfire (B1F2) by burning a F gem?

No.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Chomp convinced me to buy this game. That may have been a mistake. I've been reading the manual and I think that I'm going insane. Send help.

(At least I'm used to the overall style, since I played and liked Conquest of Elysium 3.)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Corbeau posted:

Chomp convinced me to buy this game. That may have been a mistake. I've been reading the manual and I think that I'm going insane. Send help.

(At least I'm used to the overall style, since I played and liked Conquest of Elysium 3.)

I've been teaching Stallion on Skype already, when you have some time soon let me know and I'll try to run you through the basics.

If any other noobs are jumping on the sale I'm probably go try and organize a game to start next weekend.

e: also the IRC channel in the OP is a great resource for random questions or strategy advice like "how do I make a pretender that doesn't blow" or "does this pretender I made blow?"

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 5, 2015

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Chomp8645 posted:

"does this pretender I made blow?"

The answer is always yes. Everyone has a terrible, crippling flaw in their PGs that they hope no one notices.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Imprisoned immobile means the flaw is your pretender basically doesn't exist. :shepface:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gaghskull posted:

The answer is always yes. Everyone has a terrible, crippling flaw in their PGs that they hope no one notices.

Not pigod :colbert:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gaghskull posted:

Kitfox88 posted:

Imprisoned immobile means the flaw is your pretender basically doesn't exist. :shepface:

Wisdom.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Kitfox88 posted:

You say that. But I saw my army of giants get wiped out because you dropped Irminsul on their heads. :colbert:

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory
I've been playing around with tri-bless MA Ermor, and it really is a lot of fun. So far my favorite build is N9D9B9. It doesn't pack the punch of N9D9W9, but that B9 makes it very hard to counter my super tough sacreds with priests/early mages. Are there any other cool builds I should try?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Azram Legion posted:

I've been playing around with tri-bless MA Ermor, and it really is a lot of fun. So far my favorite build is N9D9B9. It doesn't pack the punch of N9D9W9, but that B9 makes it very hard to counter my super tough sacreds with priests/early mages. Are there any other cool builds I should try?

B9 is a lot of points in a path you are effectively incapable of using. You're right that it's fun, but it's very uncompetitive, particularly since you need to be awake.

Try e8/9 for reinvig on your mages, or f9 to double-stack the bonus damage. But w9 will probably be the best 'third bless' for MA Ermor. Your mages aren't sacred

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 6, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Smoking Mirror can get you pretty wacky stuff.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You have the Dom score to recruit two jaguars per turn, but those two jags are the hardest motherfuckers alive.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

amuayse posted:

no f9 :destiny:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I've been teaching Stallion on Skype already, when you have some time soon let me know and I'll try to run you through the basics.

If any other noobs are jumping on the sale I'm probably go try and organize a game to start next weekend.

e: also the IRC channel in the OP is a great resource for random questions or strategy advice like "how do I make a pretender that doesn't blow" or "does this pretender I made blow?"

Very down! What age are you thinking?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

amuayse posted:

D9 :nallears:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Verr posted:

Very down! What age are you thinking?

Probably EA. I like the idea that it has the most crazy stuff and diversity of nations so there is something for everybody.

I'm hop on IRC tomorrow and try to get the hosting details set but I'm think we aim start by next Friday. The sale ends on Monday I think so that gives everyone the rest of the week to learn how to function in game. If it turns out that I'm the only person in the match with any experience at all then I'll choose some retarded gimmick for myself/play an underwater nation.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

That MR Resists bonus damage is so tempting :v:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So how long the "undead are rising from their graves!" (and they attack the province) event is usually?

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

quote:

Also, about the Fire vs Death blesses: the Fire bless does nothing 50% of the time against Protection 12 units (since it is AP 6 damage), and does pretty much the same damage as the Death bless when it damages them.

Is this correct? Against decently protected units the Fire and Death bless is almost the same? Assuming average MR of humans to be 10-11.
EDIT: Someone did an analysis and:

quote:

Fire weapons have a 38% chance of dealing at least two damage versus 12 armor, which is comparable to death weapons' 54% * 70% = 38% chance of dealing at least two damage versus MR 10.

I guess D9 is not as garbage as I thought it was.

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 6, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Death Bless damage is I think 2 AN MR Negates damage (which may also have an affliction chance), Fire Bless is straight AP 6 fire damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
I found a thing
http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/?page=wpn&showmoddinginfo=1&showids=1&showkeys=1&wpnkey=id&wpnval=448

• Locked thread