Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cole posted:

Again, the movie shows him joining up because of 9/11. It is not his fault the people in charge sent him somewhere that had nothing to do with 9/11.

He joins up in the movie because of an Embassy bombing, 9/11 comes later in the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

So what do you want them to do? Depict some bullshit stance on the subject? Because people are arguing about how this movie is bullshit propaganda, but you're asking to change the climate of war to some bullshit propaganda by not showing the actual climate of the war.

I'd rather the movie have put on full display the monstrous, hosed up person that Chris Kyle had become. To make a statement about how just because in one moment of decision it's "necessary" to kill, that doesn't mean a shitload of mistakes weren't made that led to it. I get what you're saying about how the movie is from Kyle's perspective and he didn't give a poo poo about any of the politics, but there are ways to get that message across without having to show Kyle himself being concerned about them. Of course Kyle isn't concerned about why he's in Iraq, he just wanted to shoot some people. The military turned him into that.

The real-life Kyle maybe would have been shocking enough to shake something loose in people's heads and cause them to ask these difficult questions. Again, just to be clear I'm not saying its the filmmakers "responsibility" to do that, but it sucks that they didn't even try.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Cole posted:

In the movie? 9/11. It's why the 9/11 footage was shown, to give him motive for joining the military. Which, given the events, is not a bad reason to join the military. Once you are in, you are not responsible for where you get deployed.

This is a pretty accurate exchange of how troops talk about things though. So why is it bad that it was presented in that way? Literally nobody is innocent in the minds of troops given the climate they were in and the things they were told about the area, so why would they change the dialogue to negate what the actual mindset was?

Again, the movie shows him joining up because of 9/11. It is not his fault the people in charge sent him somewhere that had nothing to do with 9/11.

The difference is that the movie isn't showing that "no one is innocent in the minds of the troops," they are showing that no one is innocent in the world of the movie and that the fact that the military clings to the illusion that there could be innocents there is one of the things harming our soldiers.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Danger posted:

Well now I'm sorta confused on your position in contrast to your earlier statement: "

"Not really, but i am going to humor your point anyway."

Did you ignore the "not really. and even if it did..." portion?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The difference is that the movie isn't showing that "no one is innocent in the minds of the troops," they are showing that no one is innocent in the world of the movie and that the fact that the military clings to the illusion that there could be innocents there is one of the things harming our soldiers.

The world of the movie took place in Iraq, where no one was innocent to American troops. So I guess I agree with you?

Basebf555 posted:

I'd rather the movie have put on full display the monstrous, hosed up person that Chris Kyle had become. To make a statement about how just because in one moment of decision it's "necessary" to kill, that doesn't mean a shitload of mistakes weren't made that led to it. I get what you're saying about how the movie is from Kyle's perspective and he didn't give a poo poo about any of the politics, but there are ways to get that message across without having to show Kyle himself being concerned about them. Of course Kyle isn't concerned about why he's in Iraq, he just wanted to shoot some people. The military turned him into that.

The real-life Kyle maybe would have been shocking enough to shake something loose in people's heads and cause them to ask these difficult questions. Again, just to be clear I'm not saying its the filmmakers "responsibility" to do that, but it sucks that they didn't even try.

You are asking for a movie that is not about Chris Kyle at all though. You're asking for a movie by Michael Moore.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

He joins up in the movie because of an Embassy bombing, 9/11 comes later in the narrative.

Instead of nit picking, just get the point I'm making maybe?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

You are asking for a movie that is not about Chris Kyle at all though. You're asking for a movie by Michael Moore.

The movie I'm asking for would feature Chris Kyle as the main character, and he would be portrayed as accurately as possible using his own biography. I don't understand how it would "not be about Chris Kyle at all." The real guy was a broken human being who had been twisted up to the point where he enjoyed killing people. I'm just asking that the real person be presented in the movie instead of a person with his name that never existed.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ooh sorry, wasn't a criticism. This thread is much more interesting than every other thread in CineD. You just don't get people justifying child murder in the comic book threads!

Carry on!

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Ooh sorry, wasn't a criticism. This thread is much more interesting than every other thread in CineD. You just don't get people justifying child murder in the comic book threads!

Carry on!

Yes, because it is that black and white.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Cole posted:

The world of the movie took place in Iraq, where no one was innocent to American troops. So I guess I agree with you?

Which is exactly why that scene is not horrifying in the way that you and smoothrich are portraying it. It's not horrible to shoot someone who isn't innocent (and all Iraqi children are guilty in the world of American Sniper). There's no horror there - putting down an Iraqi child, in the movie, is as meaningful as putting down a tiger. The horrifying aspect of the scene is the idea that anyone could be punished for doing it in the first place.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Basebf555 posted:

The movie you seem to want to see would contain the political maneuverings that led to the invasion and continue to this day. It would put a very specific spin on the movie that Eastwood seems to have deliberately avoided.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Cole posted:

"Not really, but i am going to humor your point anyway."

Did you ignore the "not really. and even if it did..." portion?

Your earlier position was that the marketing did not go to any length to portray the story as an actual depiction of the real life Kyle, and even if it did it would be a silly criticism (which is true, as this is a creative work) because it is not a depiction of the real life Kyle (comparing the movie to the same 'based on' motif of Hurt Locker); but them continue with further criticism that it is likewise silly to devote any portion of a movie about Chris Kyle to something Chris Kyle didn't really know poo poo about (which is false, as the Kyle character itself is an ideological expression). I'm having a hard time piecing together what your particular reading of the film is or is not based on.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Which is exactly why that scene is not horrifying in the way that you and smoothrich are portraying it. It's not horrible to shoot someone who isn't innocent (and all Iraqi children are guilty in the world of American Sniper). There's no horror there - putting down an Iraqi child, in the movie, is as meaningful as putting down a tiger. The horrifying aspect of the scene is the idea that anyone could be punished for doing it in the first place.

Actually the rules of engagement said "military aged males" were the enemy, not children or women, and the only child shot in the movie was carrying a bomb, which falls under "hostile act and hostile intent," which defaults whoever is exhibiting that, even if they are in a wheelchair, blind and rolling the wrong way, as an enemy combatant.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cole posted:

Yes, because it is that black and white.

No, I get it. Sometimes you gotta blow a kid away right? Pop pop.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

There are other ways to view it. I was horrified by it even though it was justified under the circumstances. The equation between killing a child and killing a deer is horrific. I suspect that most people viewed it as horrifying but maybe I'm wrong.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mr. Flunchy posted:

No, I get it. Sometimes you gotta blow a kid away right? Pop pop.

If they are running at a group of people with a bomb intent on blowing up that group of people? Yeah, sometimes it is justified. But at least you get it.

What would you rather have happen? Pretend like this isn't a war, pretend like it is a child running at random civilians in New York. Should a police officer just let that child run up and blow a fuckton of people up?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
At this point it's probably either based on being contrarian, a paycheck through a State Department NGO, or just trying to stave off a guilty conscience

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Cole posted:

Actually the rules of engagement said "military aged males" were the enemy, not children or women, and the only child shot in the movie was carrying a bomb, which falls under "hostile act and hostile intent," which defaults whoever is exhibiting that, even if they are in a wheelchair, blind and rolling the wrong way, as an enemy combatant.

Exactly, the horrifying realization comes from the context of the earlier 9/11 imagery (a building full of military aged males).

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Danger posted:

Exactly, the horrifying realization comes from the context of the earlier 9/11 imagery (a building full of military aged males).

Actually the horrifying realization that he shot a kid comes when he shoots a kid.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cole posted:

If they are running at a group of people with a bomb intent on blowing up that group of people? Yeah, sometimes it is justified. But at least you get it.

What would you rather have happen? Pretend like this isn't a war, pretend like it is a child running at random civilians in New York. Should a police officer just let that child run up and blow a fuckton of people up?

Sometimes tough men have to make the calls that noone else can. They don't enjoy it, but this is the way of the soldier, right?

And if it ends with a smouldering ruin of a country and millions dead. Well... That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Tough calls. Real men. HUUH!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

Pretend like this isn't a war, pretend like it is a group of heavily armed foreign soldiers coming down a street in New York. Should a woman who owns a grenade just let them invade her city?

It's the same problem that a lot of people have with Ender's Game, funnily enough. It's a scene that should ask questions, but its depiction leaves no room for any other interpretation than "it was the right thing to do, and justified."

And once again, even if you can justify that act (and the film can) you would hope that the film would wonder, at least a little, how everyone involved got to that point. The film presents it as a video game level, though. Nothing came before or after, it's entirely free of context or consequence.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 3, 2015

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Cole posted:

Actually the horrifying realization that he shot a kid comes when he shoots a kid.

Exactly. And the American audience is meant to feel that they pulled the trigger as well.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Would you expect those foreign soldiers to just allow that woman to run up to them holding a grenade?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Cole posted:

We aren't talking about the actual rules of engagement, we are talking about the movie "American Sniper." There's a reason that both of the major child characters in the movie are portrayed as engaging in "hostile act and hostile intent" and it isn't verisimilitude, it's to set up, firstly, that there can be no moral question about anything the "American Sniper" does. We have to establish that there can be no possible moral problems with his actions, period, before we can establish that him feeling anxious is unjust. If the movie didn't establish that, then his suffering later would be viewed as mere weakness and "heart-bleeding" instead of the stoic patriotism that we get.

socketwrencher posted:

There are other ways to view it. I was horrified by it even though it was justified under the circumstances. The equation between killing a child and killing a deer is horrific. I suspect that most people viewed it as horrifying but maybe I'm wrong.

In the south, deer hunting is viewed as evidence of skill. I think many people who saw the movie would view a comparison between killing a child-terrorist and killing a deer as an example of how his mastery filtered through to all aspects of his life, including his life as a civilian.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

socketwrencher posted:

The movie you seem to want to see would contain the political maneuverings that led to the invasion and continue to this day. It would put a very specific spin on the movie that Eastwood seems to have deliberately avoided.

This is a political issue, there's no getting around that. As hard as Eastwood may have tried, there's no way to make this film in a political vacuum, not now. So yea, I wanted to see Kyles story used to put out a message that I agree with, that I feel would actually be productive for our society. As it is the movie puts out the same message that's gotten us to this point where we invade countries and then act surprised when people shoot at our guys.

If Eastwood purposely made a movie with the generic "war sucks" message, that's cowardly in my opinion, but you're not wrong that this is political.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Basebf555 posted:

This is a political issue, there's no getting around that. As hard as Eastwood may have tried, there's no way to make this film in a political vacuum, not now. So yea, I wanted to see Kyles story used to put out a message that I agree with, that I feel would actually be productive for our society.

You're asking for a movie called "Anti-American Sniper," it seems.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

You're asking for a movie called "Anti-American Sniper," it seems.

Pretty much! A little on-the-nose though.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mormon Star Wars posted:

We aren't talking about the actual rules of engagement, we are talking about the movie "American Sniper." There's a reason that both of the major child characters in the movie are portrayed as engaging in "hostile act and hostile intent" and it isn't verisimilitude, it's to set up, firstly, that there can be no moral question about anything the "American Sniper" does. We have to establish that there can be no possible moral problems with his actions, period, before we can establish that him feeling anxious is unjust. If the movie didn't establish that, then his suffering later would be viewed as mere weakness and "heart-bleeding" instead of the stoic patriotism that we get.

what the hell does this even mean

RoE: Hostile act, hostile intent

Mission: Protect ground troops.

Chris Kyle: shoots a kid under those guidelines, struggles with it and moves on.

These are accurate depictions of how people act in war. What the hell do you want from the movie?

Watch Home of the Brave with 50 Cent and Jessica Biel. It seems to fall more in line with what you want from a war movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

Would you expect those foreign soldiers to just allow that woman to run up to them holding a grenade?

Would you be defending their right to shoot her? Or wondering how the hell we got to the point of foreign troops wandering around New York and its citizens fighting to kick them out?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Snowman_McK posted:

Would you be defending their right to shoot her? Or wondering how the hell we got to the point of foreign troops wandering around New York and its citizens fighting to kick them out?

Answer mine and I'll answer yours.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

Answer mine and I'll answer yours.

No, of course not. I'd also be really uncomfortable and horrified if a film came out depicting that as unambiguously the right thing to do.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

In the south, deer hunting is viewed as evidence of skill. I think many people who saw the movie would view a comparison between killing a child-terrorist and killing a deer as an example of how his mastery filtered through to all aspects of his life, including his life as a civilian.

Agreed. I also think that many people see it another way. That's what makes it interesting. There are people who think we are still justified in being in Iraq, some that don't, some who don't think about it much at all.

I just think that most people take away from the movie what they bring into it, and that concern about how it's interpreted changing or reinforcing opinions is overblown.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Cole posted:

what the hell does this even mean

RoE: Hostile act, hostile intent

Mission: Protect ground troops.

Chris Kyle: shoots a kid under those guidelines, struggles with it and moves on.

These are accurate depictions of how people act in war. What the hell do you want from the movie?

This isn't real life, this is a movie, so when director's put in characters and scenes they are doing it for a reason, and it's usually not "oh it would be very accurate to have this here." The child in the movie is a character in the movie, and his character is included for a reason - to cement the sainthood of the American Sniper so that later we can empathize with his suffering. The child is there because it washes away all moral questions: It's the moment that establishes that he couldn't ever really do anything wrong, because the people over there really are that bad, even (and especially) the children. This is repeated later when the child picks up the rocket launcher.

That has to happen because, if killing the child was portrayed as something he had to struggle with (as opposed to struggling with "going to leavenworth" for doing his job) then later, when he is suffering from the PTSD symptoms you described in an earlier post, his PTSD would be viewed as weakness. It wouldn't be him suffering in innocence, it would be him suffering because he empathized with a cold and evil enemy. It would change the entire tone of the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

To know if those soldiers are in the right for shooting a woman with a grenade I'd want to know the full context of why the soldiers are there.

Killing in that situation is understandable, but that doesn't make it right. For it to be right I'd have to know a whole lot more about the situation. For instance in Iraq it was never right to shoot anyone because we shouldn't have been there in the first place. That doesn't mean I blame individual soldiers, I understand their actions but they were not right or just.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Snowman_McK posted:

No, of course not. I'd also be really uncomfortable and horrified if a film came out depicting that as unambiguously the right thing to do.

It was unambiguously wrong for us to invade Iraq in the first place. I will always agree to that. It is one of the biggest foreign policy fuckups in United States history.

However, the people who went to Iraq had no decision making power. A lot of people who are a part of the initial invasion of Iraq joined for reasons not related to Iraq at all. At that point, they were forced into a dogfight and had no choice. Sure you can make the case for being a conscientious objector, but given the way troops are trained, you put them in a mindset that it is the right thing to do. Call it brainwashing if you want.

Once the troops were there, it was a "kill or be killed" scenario. That is not their fault. That is the fault of the government that put them there.

If a woman in New York ran up on an invading army with a grenade and was shot because of it, I would want retribution. However, completely ignoring why that foreign army is there in the first place (in this case it wasn't the army that put them there, it was the civilians in charge of that army that put them there) is shortsighted.

I would be more angry at the government that put that foreign army in the situation to shoot that woman, and I would rather take the fight directly to them than fight the ground troops that were invading. Unfortunately, you have to deal with your closest enemy because that is the most dangerous enemy at the moment.

From the individual soldier's prospective, shooting someone coming at them with a bomb is unambiguously the right thing to do. However, how they got there, if you want to keep it based on the invasion of Iraq, is really hosed up.

I am admittedly very horrible at explaining my stance on this.

Honestly, if troops were invading the US based on a foreign policy agenda, I would feel bad for them being stuck there moreso than I would feel angry that they are there at all. I wouldn't feel bad for the government that put them there, that's where my anger would be concentrated.

E: When you join the military you are a slave to your government's political agenda.

Cole fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 3, 2015

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I think, that killing people, is bad.

I also, think, that American Sniper is, bad, but not for, that reason.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Cole is making a valid point, that you should be reading the film in front if you. The movie portrays the logic of Kyle (his sainthood to borrow from the previous post) as an unambiguous truth, and it is. The correct conclusion is not to abandon your horror, however (and portraying Kyle as an aberrant sociopath would be doing just that). The true reading should be to extend your outrage that Kyle is a perfectly logical extension or distillation of American exceptionalism and neo liberal western democracy. He is a saint eventually interned in the church of AT&T stadium. Of course, as a viewer now with additional context, we can appreciate the ironic joke off the ending: that Kyle was shot by a mentally ill man who was subsequently "sent to Leavenworth".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cole posted:

It was unambiguously wrong for us to invade Iraq in the first place. I will always agree to that. It is one of the biggest foreign policy fuckups in United States history.

However, the people who went to Iraq had no decision making power. A lot of people who are a part of the initial invasion of Iraq joined for reasons not related to Iraq at all. At that point, they were forced into a dogfight and had no choice. Sure you can make the case for being a conscientious objector, but given the way troops are trained, you put them in a mindset that it is the right thing to do. Call it brainwashing if you want.

Once the troops were there, it was a "kill or be killed" scenario. That is not their fault. That is the fault of the government that put them there.

I would be more angry at the government that put that foreign army in the situation to shoot that woman, and I would rather take the fight directly to them than fight the ground troops that were invading. Unfortunately, you have to deal with your closest enemy because that is the most dangerous enemy at the moment.

From the individual soldier's prospective, shooting someone coming at them with a bomb is unambiguously the right thing to do. However, how they got there, if you want to keep it based on the invasion of Iraq, is really hosed up.

E: When you join the military you are a slave to your government's political agenda.

And you don't think any of these thoughts could have been included in American Sniper? Why not explore any of this? You're saying the movie is better for having ignored all of this?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Danger posted:

neo liberal western democracy

:roflolmao: if you think that in any way describes US foreign policy as seen by basically any other country in the world

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Basebf555 posted:

And you don't think any of these thoughts could have been included in American Sniper? Why not explore any of this? You're saying the movie is better for having ignored all of this?

I don't think you could make a movie with Chris Kyle as your focal point and effectively explore the things I mentioned. Could you make a movie that had Chris Kyle's character in it and explore those things? Yes, but it wouldn't be about Chris Kyle at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cole posted:

There's a better phrase for it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichmann_in_JerusalemI mean, I hate to Godwin myself out of the argument, but that is, almost word for word, the Nuremberg defence. It's the essence of the phrase 'the banality of evil'
If you agree that the war in Iraq was unjustified, then it's weird that you don't get people's problem with the film. To not even consider the right and wrong of the war and just focus on "in that moment, he totally had to kill that kid/woman/guy" is myopic. To structure the film as something that has a payoff (he kills Mustafa, allowing him a real, military triumph in a war that had no military triumph) frames the war in a nice, palatable way, rather than a pointless, slogging occupation. Actually, think about how the message of the film changes if you move the sniper duel to the first half.
It puts it more in line with something like "The Men in Green Faces." I don't know if you've read it, but it starts out as a team of Navy SEALs fighting in Vietnam, and ends with a loving Kung Fu fight against the evil North Vietnamese colonel.

quote:

Who are notably absent from this film, even by mention.

quote:

If a woman in New York ran up on an invading army with a grenade and was shot because of it, I would want retribution. However, completely ignoring why that foreign army is there in the first place (in this case it wasn't the army that put them there, it was the civilians in charge of that army that put them there) is shortsighted.
So does it follow that you think the film is shortsighted?

quote:

See, I disagree with this, but I suspect it's just word choice. It's unambiguously the correct tactical (or practical) choice in that moment, but using the word right suggests a moral dimension that I don't think you're going for. Killing someone who's going to squeal on you for murder is also the correct practical choice, but it'd be weird if you called it the right thing to do.'

quote:

Honestly, if troops were invading the US based on a foreign policy agenda, I would feel bad for them being stuck there moreso than I would feel angry that they are there at all. I wouldn't feel bad for the government that put them there, that's where my anger would be concentrated.
That's probably true, but I think you'd feel worse for the US civilians, and be really angry if, later on, they were depicted as being all combatants with no hint of a moral dimension.

Cole posted:

I don't think you could make a movie with Chris Kyle as your focal point and effectively explore the things I mentioned. Could you make a movie that had Chris Kyle's character in it and explore those things? Yes, but it wouldn't be about Chris Kyle at that point.
It's already not about Chris Kyle, it's about a stoic patchwork of a character that gets into a sniper duel that didn't happen.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 3, 2015

• Locked thread