Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How can something apparently inspired by the 90's sound so un-radical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It is kind of a shame that there aren't too many good mapping projects for ZDoom, yeah. Not much out there really taking advantage of all the additional features like 3D floors, slopes, polyobjects or even finer-grain control over door/lift speeds than even Boom.

I want to say it'd be nifty if there were an effort to produce such a mapset, especially one that's light on the scripted cutscenes and custom weapons/monsters and such and just focused on traditional Doom gameplay, but I think the guys at Doomworld actually tried that recently (well, they allowed at most two custom monsters per submission, IIRC) and the end result was a mixed-bag. (Probably chalk it up to how community projects in general tend to be mixed bags.)

Hell, I'd probably try my hand at it myself, were I particularly good at Doom mapping in the first place. I do kind of want to make a map that takes place up in some sort of tree village, kind of like Endor but more inspired by the "Hell's Aerie" secret level in Saturn Quake.

Segmentation Fault posted:

Early-FPS inspired Share-em-up Gunscape is quickly approaching release quality! Check out its Steam page for more info.

You can grab the latest version of the game directly from their site. Come try out some of the maps that I and a few others in the community made!
I tried this a while back, since they had a thread on it in Games (I mean, it's goon-made, so). It wasn't too bad, but something felt a bit off about the few single-player maps available. I'm still interested to see what's come of it in its final release, at least.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

How can something apparently inspired by the 90's sound so un-radical?

Hey, nerd.

Sharing IS caring.

:kamina:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Seeing weird behaviour in ZDCMP1 - there's a room with two switches that require red and blue skull keys. I have all 6 keys and can't activate either. Looking at a playthrough video it seems like they should be usable at this point. Is there any way to force these switches so I can finish the map?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Could always IDSPISPOPD.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow Hog posted:

Could always IDSPISPOPD.

rude

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Shadow Hog posted:

Could always IDSPISPOPD.

Inconceivable

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Yeah I ended up noclipping. The map has a fair bit of back-tracking as areas open so I was hoping to avoid that, it turned out that I only needed to go through that area once so it wasn't too much of a hassle.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Two levels into Operation Eisenfaust Legacy and if any of the loving guards see you they hunt your rear end down with pin point accurate rifles that strip 20% of your health away with every shot. gently caress off.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Two levels into Operation Eisenfaust Legacy and if any of the loving guards see you they hunt your rear end down with pin point accurate rifles that strip 20% of your health away with every shot. gently caress off.

Drop the difficulty a bit, I had trouble with that too. Eventually the levels give way to less open maps and it really starts to pick up.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

catlord posted:

Drop the difficulty a bit, I had trouble with that too. Eventually the levels give way to less open maps and it really starts to pick up.

Oh, I'm the ultimate casual and play everything on the easiest difficulty, and these dopes still drop me in 3 shots. This is just plain bad design, but looking at some youtube videos of later levels it does look like fun, so :colbert: I GUESS :colbert: I can still give it a try.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Given the VBC Doom2 callout thread at the top of this forum, would anyone like to play some Doom2 DM in a more relaxed way? I'm itching to do so and being awful with some goons would be fun.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sadly, Night Dive Studios can't get NOLF rights to re-release 1&2 :(

(sorry for the kotaku article but it's what Night Dive linked)
http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

Edit: I decided to check for psychal copies of it on amazon.es, play.com and amazon.co.uk (wich doesn't ship to spain). I'm kind of bummed because I'd love to replay them.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 28, 2015

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

E: nevermind works with zdoom!

field balm fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 28, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guillermus posted:

God is punishing them for having broken their promise to release SVE on GOG.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

God is punishing them for having broken their promise to release SVE on GOG.

Guessing it may not have sold that well :(

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The first public beta of Golden Souls 2 is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfDapTiwBg0
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47574&p=808023#p808023

Yes, that is a Mario Paint rendition of Cowboys From Hell, and it is adorable.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Dominic White posted:

The first public beta of Golden Souls 2 is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfDapTiwBg0
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47574&p=808023#p808023

Yes, that is a Mario Paint rendition of Cowboys From Hell, and it is adorable.

Am I the only one who thinks the first was a really cool concept, but a complete chore to actually play?

First person platforming is terrible especially with Doom's floaty as poo poo physics and having to peck away at high HP enemies with lovely guns. :shrug:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Platforming on small platforms in Doom does tend to be a pain given the Doom guy's tendency to slide off of them as he's trying to come to a stop.

On the other hand, removing that bit of slow momentum loss would probably make the game not feel much like Doom.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Some dumb idiot posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the first was a really cool concept, but a complete chore to actually play?

First person platforming is terrible especially with Doom's floaty as poo poo physics and having to peck away at high HP enemies with lovely guns. :shrug:

He said he's gonna improve on all of that, so i hope the zdoom forums hold him to it.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Some dumb idiot posted:

Yeah my feelings were the same, I had to edit the plants to have about a 1/10th of their health (because bullet sponge immobile turrets are such a fantastic and challenging enemy to fight) and buff weapon damage and it was still just so dull to play. The imagination on display was alright at least, hopefully he's learned from the first one though.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Jblade posted:

Yeah my feelings were the same, I had to edit the plants to have about a 1/10th of their health (because bullet sponge immobile turrets are such a fantastic and challenging enemy to fight) and buff weapon damage and it was still just so dull to play. The imagination on display was alright at least, hopefully he's learned from the first one though.

I think it would be kinda cool if he increased jump height for the marine, and let you stomp on enemy heads to kill them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jakcson posted:

I think it would be kinda cool if he increased jump height for the marine, and let you stomp on enemy heads to kill them.

Reminds me of the goomba mod for Enemy Territory. Land on someone's head from a great enough height and they instantly die, leaving behind just a helmet with two boots sticking out from underneath it surrounded by blood spatter :allears:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Geight posted:

Don't let the whiny babies get you down

:ironicat:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Guillermus posted:

(sorry for the kotaku article but it's what Night Dive linked)
http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead-pc-game-that-cant-come-back-1688358811

Edit: I decided to check for psychal copies of it on amazon.es, play.com and amazon.co.uk (wich doesn't ship to spain). I'm kind of bummed because I'd love to replay them.

Jesus christ what a ridiculously stupid situation

gently caress video games

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Don't think I saw this posted yet. Unreal Tournament: The New One has its first fully-textured map up and running, and it looks fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4tNU2jgTZU

Still cutting-edge graphics with a big fancy skybox, but the overall aesthetic is closer to Mirror's Edge than Gears of War. Clean, crisp, easy to tell what the hell you're actually running around in. I have high hopes!

You can download the latest pre-alpha from the sidebar at http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/ with a free registration. It's got an actual full-blown installer and all that, very easy to set up.

Oh, and apparently Unreal Engine 4 is 100% free now as well, no developer's subscription or anything.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

*squirt*

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Welp, that looks amazing. Looks like CliffyB leaving the building was a good thing afterall.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sir Lemming posted:

Don't think I saw this posted yet. Unreal Tournament: The New One has its first fully-textured map up and running, and it looks fantastic:

Still cutting-edge graphics with a big fancy skybox, but the overall aesthetic is closer to Mirror's Edge than Gears of War. Clean, crisp, easy to tell what the hell you're actually running around in. I have high hopes!

Pretty sure you just accidentally posted a Halo 5 video :cheeky:

Seriously that map could come straight out of Halo 4 or 5.

And maybe the whole point is to show off how much you can do with some basic lighting and SSAO, but the walls are all really really unfinished. I guess texture work comes later? But some things clearly have textures. Hrm.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

All the other maps are currently flat grey and the odd bit of colored lighting, this map has actual textures and proper lighting set up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sir Lemming posted:

You can download the latest pre-alpha from the sidebar at http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/ with a free registration. It's got an actual full-blown installer and all that, very easy to set up.

Oh, and apparently Unreal Engine 4 is 100% free now as well, no developer's subscription or anything.

Is this the free to play ut that was talked about a while ago?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

site posted:

Is this the free to play ut that was talked about a while ago?
Yes.
The shock shock rifle sounds so good. I always thought the old one sounded a bit weak.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Regarding that UT video, I actually really like the look of the two weapons I've seen so far. The Flak Cannon closely resembles the UT'99, in the sense that it looks like a piece of caution-striped industrial equipment and provides all the satisfaction of watching something that is clearly a shell get popped into the breach after every shot.

Compare that to this idiotic thing:

...which was basically indecipherable. Is it a spaceship? Is is an auto-shotgun from Serious Sam 2 (which bizarrely succeeded in looking more like a gun than the UT3 Flak Cannon)?

It didn't feel good to shoot, which is a pretty big deal in a FPS, because (to me), my brain couldn't really figure out how it was supposed to be a gun. It wasn't satisfying. It was like playing a racing game where the "car" was just a cube.

Now, UT3's shock rifle wasn't so bad...but I think I still prefer the one in this video. They're both look like advanced "laser guns", but the video's shock rifle is cleaner and sleeker (and certainly sounds better), and just feels more like something that's going to shoot a hot blast of "shock" at you without looking like the modeler got bored and started throwing random busy-bits all over it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

On the other hand, the new Enforcers are ugly as poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Any of you guys know of a good guide for setting up virtualization to run old Windows games in Windows 98 SE? I keep running into stuff like "VirtualBox doesn't support Windows 98" and "VMWare player doesn't support 3d acceleration under Windows 98" and it's confusing the hell out of me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Elliotw2 posted:

On the other hand, the new Enforcers are ugly as poo poo.

Oh man, I haven't seen those yet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pretend 3D Realms put out a new trailer for Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction Bombshell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8A7rDu405g

It's a lot better than the last trailer, I'll give 'em that much.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Any of you guys know of a good guide for setting up virtualization to run old Windows games in Windows 98 SE? I keep running into stuff like "VirtualBox doesn't support Windows 98" and "VMWare player doesn't support 3d acceleration under Windows 98" and it's confusing the hell out of me.

Install VirtualPC 2007, it has full native support for Windows98 and still runs on modern windows. VMWare is also acceptable. Virtualbox barely supports Win98 and even if you get everything working it runs really badly.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Pretend 3D Realms put out a new trailer for Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction Bombshell:

Well drat, that actually looks...fun? I love me some isometric shooters, and as long as it doesn't fall prey to the horrible-camera-disease that kills similar games, this one looks like it can scratch that "diablo-but-with-robots" itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've been pondering talking about it here. It looks decent enough, I think, and that one dude immediately made me think of Dr. Proton, so I kinda like that they're just barely hiding that it's supposed to be Duke Nukem. I'm a little surprised they redesigned Bombshell herself, but then again, I don't dislike either design.