Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Sounds like more of a curiosity to me than anything else then, I'm not that big a fan of crunch. Maybe there'll be a sale or I can find a secondhand copy or something, because "D&D with sound mechanics" seems like a cool idea, but from the way it sounds I wouldn't be a fan of all the extra mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Siivola posted:

Okay so think 3.5. Now imagine if you put together a team of competent engineers and technical writers, and told them to rewrite it to be fair and cool.

What I'm saying is, it's thick and dense and has a lot of mechanics.

It's a truly beautiful game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

There's no such thing, though.

Are you trolling or being disingenuous on purpose?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Are you trolling or being disingenuous on purpose?

I would think that as a master of both you would be able to distinguish the two.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

All Exalted characters I played and some of the ones my friends made were on fleek.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Stop replying to the Imp Zone shitposters, you idiots.

I guess that with February over, post history racism is OK again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

All Exalted characters I played and some of the ones my friends made were on fleek.

Much like one's children, a person's pretendmen always appear cool despite reality.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Impermanent posted:

The poster you quoted, duderino. No one cares about Plutonis.

I care about Plutonis. :unsmith:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Can we all at least agree that the Apocalypse popcorn recipe is an embarrassment?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fosborb posted:

Can we all at least agree that the Apocalypse popcorn recipe is an embarrassment?

i never bothered with it but the only review I heard was that it wasn't actually spicy at all or whatever

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't tell who's being serious and who's not in this thread anymore. Is that bad?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't tell who's being serious and who's not in this thread anymore. Is that bad?

something something poe's law

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm being sincere, if that helps at all.

Edit: Sincere and sarcastic, you choose exactly where. But still both.

Glorified Scrivener fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 3, 2015

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

fosborb posted:

Has there ever been a TG recipe that wasn't really bad? Excepting of course the D&D 5E Cooking and Riddle Megathread.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Reminder before anyone decides to continue last page's proud posting traditions:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Stop replying to the Imp Zone shitposters, you idiots.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Davin Valkri posted:

Speaking of war-fighting, I've been wondering how to represent enemies in physical conflict in games, and I'm wondering if part of the problem of absurdly long fights is that most such combat heavy games like to stat out the opposition as individuals. Like, that old classic about "40 Kobolds in playtesting of D&D 5e" is an obvious example. 40 individual enemies is obviously way too many for a person to handle without computer assistance. But if you statted it out as "Kobold Platoon Command", "Kobold Section A, B, C," and "Kobold Magic and Effects Squad", that seems a lot easier to visualize and manage. D&D started out as a wargame, why not use those roots to make things simpler? They already do it with horde enemies; standardize it to apply to any enemy, or at least smaller ones.

FFG'S new Star Wars game has NPCs in combat rated as minions, Rivals, and Nemeses. Minions are very weak and easily defeated by the PCs (sorta like 40 kobolds), Rivals are like orc sergeant or something, not quite as powerful as the PCs. and the Nemeses are as powerful as the PCs. The amount of stats for each increases as the npc becomes more powerful. Also for minions they tend to fight as a group, so there's less book keeping involved.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Reminder before anyone decides to continue last page's proud posting traditions:
Sorry, but we will not move to the back of the bus. We will also not move to the front of the bus. We are going to stand in the middle of the bus, holding the rings, talking just a little too loudly.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

How am I supposed to know who's an Imp Zone poster? I took one look at that place and istantly backed out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What is the best song for playing an RPG? I think it's either Ween's "Your Party," Elvis Presley's "Party," or "Aaron's Party" by Aaron Carter. That last one assumes your party's Cleric, Artificer, Shaman, or Bard is named Aaron.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Or "Get The Party Started" by Pink, but you have to play this one before the session begins.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

What is the best song for playing an RPG? I think it's either Ween's "Your Party," Elvis Presley's "Party," or "Aaron's Party" by Aaron Carter. That last one assumes your party's Cleric, Artificer, Shaman, or Bard is named Aaron.

Weezer's "In The Garage".

e: or Pink because Pink owns.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Weezer's "In The Garage".
I don't get this one. Maybe if it was "Party in the Garage."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

I've got a Dungeon Master's guide
I've got a 12-sided die
I've got Kitty Pryde
And Nightcrawler, too
Waiting there for me
Yes I do, I do

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
"It's My Party Too", if you've got a Runepriest, Seeker, are using Monster Manual races, etc.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Serf posted:

So while talking with a friend about 13th Age, we got on the subject of D&D-alikes and they mentioned one I've never heard of: Fantasycraft. They described it as "D&D but with more cool stuff and fighter-types get nice things", which is always a neat idea in my mind. I was wondering you folks thought it would be worth picking up even if only to pick apart for its ideas.

It is a good game, but very rules heavy. Only for people who really like crunch.

FMguru posted:

I think Hasbro regards D&D as a potentially valuable nerd nostalgia brand, in much the same way that a largely-forgotten series of 1980s robot toys turned out to be the keystones of a multi-billion dollar movie franchise 25 years later. Keeping it around and in-print in a nerd nostalgia format (5e, plus those reprints of earlier corebooks and classic adventures) is probably the smart move.

Absolutely. D&D is a great brand as far as brand equity is concerned despite how much of a money pit TRPGs are. I wouldn't be surprised if WotC's strategy is "put just enough money into D&D to keep it alive so we can sell the merchandise that actually makes money."

Also, I know absolute poo poo about magic, but the whole "premise" is that there are multiple planes of existences fighting, right? How bad of an idea would it be for WotC's to a limited print run where some iconic D&D characters are made into cards? Not that I think they should do it, it's just a thought I had and, since I know jack poo poo about Magic, I don't know how bad of an idea it is and am now curious.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Davin Valkri posted:

Speaking of war-fighting, I've been wondering how to represent enemies in physical conflict in games, and I'm wondering if part of the problem of absurdly long fights is that most such combat heavy games like to stat out the opposition as individuals. Like, that old classic about "40 Kobolds in playtesting of D&D 5e" is an obvious example. 40 individual enemies is obviously way too many for a person to handle without computer assistance. But if you statted it out as "Kobold Platoon Command", "Kobold Section A, B, C," and "Kobold Magic and Effects Squad", that seems a lot easier to visualize and manage. D&D started out as a wargame, why not use those roots to make things simpler? They already do it with horde enemies; standardize it to apply to any enemy, or at least smaller ones.

If we're considering wargame-hybrid things you could try a "morale" system to deal with larger numbers. Like compared to the average trash enemy a party of PCs is like a tank platoon: you could swarm them with raw numbers, but you have to be extremely brave and it's probably not going to work. But if they have the motivation and an effective commander they can actually do things that could affect you. Take out enough leaders and the rest will just run away.

And...now I'm imagining a bunch of Kobold Commandos standing in a human-suit, buying up all the whiskey in town to make Molotov Cocktails. Monsters can do some interesting stuff if they work together.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 3, 2015

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
My weekly FFG Star Wars game has a bit of a play list:

Goodbye Horses - Q Lazzarus
Gentleman - Psy
Bubble Pop! - Hyuna
Anything by the band W.A.S.P.
Summer Reggae Rainbow - 7nin Matsuri
Horsey Noises - Venetian Snares
Ice Cream - Hyuna
Also anything by the Swans

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Covok posted:

Also, I know absolute poo poo about magic, but the whole "premise" is that there are multiple planes of existences fighting, right? How bad of an idea would it be for WotC's to a limited print run where some iconic D&D characters are made into cards? Not that I think they should do it, it's just a thought I had and, since I know jack poo poo about Magic, I don't know how bad of an idea it is and am now curious.

Magic is kept as far the gently caress away from D&D as possible. WotC doesn't want D&D fans anywhere near their cash cow.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemon Curdistan posted:

FFG Star Wars is actually pretty bad. It suffers from wanting to try to do fail forward/fiction first while also being mechanics-heavy (which doesn't work), the core of its mechanical system is Dark Heresy (which completely clashes with the fail forward/fiction first thing it says it wants to try for, and also doesn't work for Star Wars), the custom dice don't add anything other than making it a pain to arbitrate results as a GM, and they're so swingy that you can expect starting PCs to gently caress up more than they succeed on "average" difficulty checks.

It's basically a tedious, poorly-thought-out Dark Heresy hack which doesn't fit the pulpy space adventures feel of the supposed source material.
Yo I typed this up earlier but forgot to hit send.

SWEotE isn't fail forward, it's multi-layered success, and I'm confused by the unbolded dice bits and your Dark Heresy comparison. However these are all fairly subjective (and I've not really played DH), so my main :psyduck: is the bolded bit.

Assuming you're using a 3 die characteristic untrained against an average roll with no situational advantages and no light side points spent you're going to get at least a conditional success about 60% of the time. If you're using a level 1 trained skill with two characteristic dice under the same conditions it's 50%. If you're using a 3 die characteristic with level 1 skill (aka an unoptimised starting character's "good" skills) it's 65%. This goes up if you have situational modifiers, spend light side points etc, which you're supposed to do, and does not include "good" failures (no successes but one or more advantages) which are more likely the less worse you do otherwise, making your actual chances of doing something useful much higher than what I listed above.

So that thing you said just isn't really true.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

FactsAreUseless posted:

Or "Get The Party Started" by Pink, but you have to play this one before the session begins.
Andrew W.K.'s "Party Hard" could work in a system that has poorly balanced mechanics.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quarex posted:

Andrew W.K.'s "Party Hard" could work in a system that has poorly balanced mechanics.
Or an erotic RPG.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lesly Gore's "It's my Party" when someone gets all in your protected niche.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

e: or Pink because Pink owns.

You're missing a Floyd or two in there. :colbert:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glory and Gore

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Covok posted:

Like half the creatures in "Legends" were based on D&D characters from the designers' games. This turned out awfully, but probably only because that was before they really knew what they were doing.

On the other hand, Zendikar was basically designed to be "D&D World" in terms of adventurers seeking out ancient ruins for lost treasures. Also, in terms of adventurers loving up catastrophically in the process.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, the problem with Legends was less its subject matter and more that it was made by a bunch of playtesters early on. No one had developed the understanding of games that R&D has now, let alone understanding of Magic specifically.

That said: they will never cross the streams because Magic prefers to use weirder and more creative worlds than 'generic D&D fantasy setting.' (Zendikar, for example, is much weirder than most D&D settings, given it's based around a plane where the environment is in constant flux due to an overabundance of mana.)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Mors Rattus posted:

(Zendikar, for example, is much weirder than most D&D settings, given it's based around a plane where the environment is in constant flux due to an overabundance of mana.)

Also is littered with giant floating stones that are literally keeping three extra-dimensional cosmic horrors and their broods imprisoned so they don't devour the entire multiverse one world after another.

Well, were keeping imprisoned. See above re adventurers loving things up for everyone.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
WotC tried multiple times internally to develop Magic/D&D hybrid products. They all got shelved because no one could make a business case for them. The Magic team's time is better spent making Magic products for Magic players (current and potential) instead of muddying up their IP trying to bring in D&D players (who, if they haven't already started playing Magic, are unlikely to begin playing now), and D&D's team is better off making D&D products instead of pounding square pegs into round holes for an IP that doesn't map particularly well to D&D's setting and play assumptions anyway. And the business case has only gotten worse over the years, as Magic gets bigger and bigger and D&D gets smaller and smaller.

Magic is growing unstoppable dynamo. Why muddle that up by mixing in a fading, backwards-looking IP?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Splicer posted:

SWEotE isn't fail forward, it's multi-layered success

The game claims that the advantage/threat results let you have "positive failures" or "negative successes," i.e. tiered successes (which naturally lends itself to fail forward), and the game itself tells you it wants to be those things. Even if it had binary pass/fail, you would still want it to be fail forward because there's literally no reason ever to not have failing forward. :psyduck:

Splicer posted:

and I'm confused by the unbolded dice bits and your Dark Heresy comparison.

Most of the damage system comes from DH et al., complete with the d% random critical injury table. Dark Heresy is a d% game, so the critical injury chart actually uses the same dice as the rest of the game, unlike FFGSW where it's horribly tacked-on. The high lethality also comes from DH, where it makes a lot more sense than in Star Wars (do you remember that bit where Luke and Leia fight Storm Troopers, and they keep getting knocked out by a blaster shot and stimpacking each other back up every round?).

Splicer posted:

Assuming you're using a 3 die characteristic untrained against an average roll with no situational advantages and no light side points spent you're going to get at least a conditional success about 60% of the time.

Yep, I didn't do the maths. :shrug: The numbers you provided still lead to the PCs failing on rolls more often than is desirable for something like Star Wars unless they've dumped 90% of their starting XP into raising their primary characteristic and are specifically rolling for a skill that uses it. It plummets even further if you put them out of their comfort zone at all. On top of that, the amount of crunch in the rules just doesn't lend itself to just treating the action narratively enough to a) work for Star Wars' brand of pulpy action and b) work with the tiered success system unless you go out of your way to ignore the rules when adjudicating advantage on failures/threat on successes (this is not helped by their decision to not include suggested narrative effects for threat/advantage in the skill rules).

Instead of trying to hack FFGSW so that the damage system actually uses the fancy dice, the lethality isn't off the charts and the system is pared down enough for their tiered success system to work, I'm just converting our group to Fate because it will do everything FFGSW claims to want to do, except better (and I say this as someone who doesn't like Fate).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Sorry to make this my "Personal Reactions to the Adventure Zone" thread, but the following exchange just happened on the pudcast:

Fighter: Alright, I want to leap upon the spider's back!
DM: Hmm, ok, well, he'll take an attack of opportunity against you then.
Fighter: Nevermind...

Bringing back all the hits, baby! Mmmmm

To be fair, the DM was nice to the Fighter earlier and let him one-shot a monster by smart application of an environmental feature.

But it's just killing me, the Fighter player clearly wants to do rad stuff and the DM is just making him roll dice and take penalties to do piddling effects. Meanwhile the Wizard casts a spell, gets what he wants. Painful to listen to.

• Locked thread