Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Venom Snake posted:

If Walker is a home made sandwich with cheese and mayo level of bland, Ben Carson is just a slice of bread sitting in a desert.

ben carson is a slice of bread, walker is a box of conversation hearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Scott Walker, republican governor of Wisconsin, dealt with the past union dispute in his state admirably. I'm impressed! He reminds me of Herbert Hoover or Hubert Humphrey, the senator for Minnesota in the 50's that made it to the VP spot serving president LBJ

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Uh oh! A sacred republican cow has been broken

Lincoln entered office with the Southern states having already seceeded, then he sent in the Army to Fort Sumter. The war began less than two months into office.

How exactly will Scott Walker treat abortion in similar manner?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

A3th3r posted:

Scott Walker, republican governor of Wisconsin, dealt with the past union dispute in his state admirably. I'm impressed! He reminds me of Herbert Hoover or Hubert Humphrey, the senator for Minnesota in the 50's that made it to the VP spot serving president LBJ

Everyone knows who Hubert Humphrey is, haven't you listened to Tom Lehrer?

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

SCOTT WALKER '16 - THE FABRIC OF AMERICA
"I'm threading the needle!"

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

It's pretty incredible that the only reason Carson is a candidate because of a goddamn prayer breakfast

this is what happens when an one entire half of a two-party system is motivated by racial/cultural spite.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Uh oh! A sacred republican cow has been broken

He talks like a person recovering from a recent head injury.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Del Capitan posted:

If I recall properly, haven't there been a few nonscandals like this over the past couple years, where someone uses a personal email address in defiance of recordkeeping and security rules? I swear there was something about Palin doing similar, some years back.

It should be a loving scandal. Rules about emails exist for a reason and the only reason to do this is to avoid oversight which is not something people should be cheering for. It was bullshit whem Cheney did it, it was bullshit when Palin did it. It's bullshit now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I read this as "Ben Carson, a retarded surgeon."

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

katlington posted:

It should be a loving scandal. Rules about emails exist for a reason and the only reason to do this is to avoid oversight which is not something people should be cheering for. It was bullshit whem Cheney did it, it was bullshit when Palin did it. It's bullshit now.

Of course it should be, but it won't be.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

That video was entirely too long.

Still I wouldn’t underestimate Ben Carson as a candidate. He won’t win, but he could give the front-runner a run for his money. He seems to be able to talk about conservative issues without coming across like a idiot/nut-job.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

katlington posted:

Yeah, she should have followed the law that didn't take effect until two years after her resignation!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Deep Hurting posted:

He talks like a person recovering from a recent head injury.

He should be able to fix that. He is a neurosurgeon after all.

ChickenRiceNPeas posted:

That video was entirely too long.

Still I wouldn’t underestimate Ben Carson as a candidate. He won’t win, but he could give the front-runner a run for his money. He seems to be able to talk about conservative issues without coming across like a idiot/nut-job.

You must have missed how he called Obamacare the worst thing to happen in/to the United States since slavery. On multiple occasions.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 4, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

richardfun posted:

If he loses the support of the Republicans-with-recent-head-injuries bloc he might as well just go home now.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

richardfun posted:

You must have missed how he called Obamacare the worst thing to happen in/to the United States since slavery. On multiple occasions.

Also when he compared homosexuals to murderers. Or when he explained that gay marriage is a Marxist conspiracy to impose the New World Order. Or when he said that Obama might be guilty of treason. Or when he blamed Ferguson on Women's Lib.

The man is a joke, and I'm glad he's running for office.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

What's the chance that the seat flips? By that I mean to ask whether they will hit up some fuckup like Coakley or Sink who will just piss away the seat to some carpet-bag jackwagon with big money on speed dial like that witch lady.

Basically none, given 1) it's a presidential year and 2) MD Dems have the very recent tanking of Brown to rember. Maryland hasn't elected a Republican to the Senate since 1980, and the state had only gotten bluer since. I expect the primary to be a knock down, drag out of unbottled ambition, probably among some DLC types (Van Hollen) and progressive types (Edwards, Mizeur?). The MD GOP is so marginal they'd have a tough time finding a statewide candidate for a federal office. Andy Stern ain't playing statewide.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tobermory posted:

Also when he compared homosexuals to murderers. Or when he explained that gay marriage is a Marxist conspiracy to impose the New World Order. Or when he said that Obama might be guilty of treason. Or when he blamed Ferguson on Women's Lib.

The man is a joke, and I'm glad he's running for office.

A link to some of his classic lines: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/11/15/top-10-quotes-that-prove-neurosurgeon-ben-carson-doesnt-have-the-brain-to-be-president/

quote:

“So if there were a container of contaminated urine, and somehow it managed to find its way to someplace a lot of damage could be done. Someone comes up to a lab worker. He knows he’s got the urine. ‘How would you like to have a million dollars?’ … Such things have been known to happen.”

And here's just from this weekend:

quote:

ossible Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson suggested over the weekend that religion was necessary for testing scientific theories because the science could be “propaganda.”

On Sunday, NBC’s Chuck Todd asked Carson, a former neurosurgeon, how science could coexist with his conservative Christian principles.

“A person’s religious beliefs are the things that make them who they are, gives them a direction in their life,” Carson opined. “But I do not believe that religious beliefs should dictate one’s public policies and stances.”

“I find, a very good measure of correlation between my religious beliefs and my scientific beliefs — people say, how can you be a scientist, how can you be a surgeon if you don’t believe in certain things?” he continued. “Maybe those things aren’t scientific. Maybe it’s just propaganda.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/ben-carson-religion-is-needed-to-interpret-science-because-maybe-its-just-propaganda/

He's pretty amazing. Ben Carson being in a primary debate would be basically like setting up a speaker that blares out random WND articles.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
"Politics is the entertainment branch of industry"

Zappa was right as usual

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Shageletic posted:

He's pretty amazing. Ben Carson being in a primary debate would be basically like setting up a speaker that blares out random WND articles.

Which is why he's going to stay in the top three for most of the primary season. The man has already been thoroughly vetted by Republican voters, and they really do love him.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Carson has already amassed a surprising amount of talent for his campaign. He's a top dog now:

quote:

Ben Carson’s general election strategy

By Jonathan Topaz and Katie Glueck

Ben Carson may be a long shot for the Republican presidential nomination, but that’s OK — he’s already thinking about the general election.

As the retired neurosurgeon launches an exploratory committee and staffs up for his all-but-certain campaign, aides say he intends to raise $130 million and win the highest share of the popular vote in November 2016 since Ronald Reagan more than 30 years ago.

These are lofty goals for a man who has never held elected office and will likely struggle for traction beyond a small conservative base. But Carson’s advisers insist they’re being clear-eyed about his chances, and they argue that Carson will win the GOP nod because he will call for bolder reforms than opponents with more political experience.

Career politicians “fidget with the dials. They take baby steps,” said Terry Giles, a Houston lawyer who is set to serve as Carson’s campaign chairman. “But generally politicians lack either the will or the courage, because it can perhaps affect your political career, to take the bold steps necessary to turn this country around.”

Carson’s exploratory committee announced Tuesday that Doug Watts, who worked as advertising director for the Reagan-Bush campaign presidential campaign in 1984, will join as communications director. Edward Brookover has joined to help assess whether Carson should jump in and is expected to be the campaign’s senior strategist, and the group will unveil a campaign manager and deputy campaign manager on Wednesday.

In an interview with POLITICO earlier Tuesday, Giles said the Carson team expects to raise $65 million between now and the Florida primary next year, and another $65 million between then and the general election. The Carson campaign is aiming to win 55 percent of the general-election vote, he said, the highest by a nominee in either party since Reagan in 1984.

Carson is a darling of the right, but appealing more broadly is seen as an uphill battle for him. He has limited name recognition and a penchant for making provocative statements — he has compared homosexuality with bestiality and on several occasions likened the Affordable Care Act to slavery.

In stating their high aims, his advisers appear to be rebuking the notion that Carson doesn’t have a chance. Giles said Carson’s personal story — a rise from inner-city Detroit to becoming the director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins at age 33 — will resonate widely as soon as the likely candidate becomes better-known.

Carson is slated to announce whether he will run in the first week of May. He can’t do so sooner because he is still on contract for paid speeches with the Washington Speakers Bureau until then, Giles said. By the end of May, he is expected to deliver a major economic policy address and will give a speech on foreign policy by the end of June.

Giles said he expects Carson, who would almost certainly be the only African-American 2016 GOP candidate, to run. “You don’t announce an exploratory committee unless you’re pretty doggone sure your candidate is going to run,” he said.

Carson has been making the rounds to top conservative- and libertarian-leaning think tanks — the Heritage Foundation, Hoover Institution, Cato Institute and American Enterprise Institute — to huddle with experts on foreign policy. Carson’s soon-to-be-announced foreign policy team will be meeting in Washington for several days later this week.

Retired Maj. Gen. Robert Dees will head Carson’s military preparedness team and the campaign has identified an Israeli woman who will lead its Israel policy team and help with Jewish outreach if he chooses to run, according to Giles.

Carson plans to court low-income voters and centrist Democrats with a message of raising people out of poverty and limiting government dependence, Giles said. He added that Carson will plan offer tax credits to businesses that get people off welfare and believes Carson “cares a lot more” about low-income people than Democrats, whom he argued have trapped Americans into government dependence to get votes.

Carson’s decision to form an exploratory committee — first reported by The Wall Street Journal — comes after several weeks of staffing up, particularly in Iowa and South Carolina.

Amy Pass, who worked for Newt Gingrich’s 2012 campaign, has signed on as national finance director, while another former top Gingrich official, Ruth Sherlock, will run Carson’s South Carolina operation. Giles boasted that Carson has the strongest organization of any potential GOP candidate in Iowa, an office headed by Hawkeye State operative Ryan Rhodes, who worked on Michelle Bachmann’s 2012 Iowa campaign.

Carson became a conservative grassroots favorite following his critique of President Barack Obama at the 2013 National Prayer Breakfast. He had a strong showing at last week’s Conservative Political Action Conference, where he finished fourth in the straw poll and had scores of visible supporters walking the halls, despite having a tough early Thursday morning speaking slot.

Following his speech, Carson spoke at a standing-room only coffee event co-hosted by Citizens United. In an interview with POLITICO, Citizens United President David Bossie said Carson had “an amazing presence” at CPAC and was struck by the potential candidate’s broad level of support at the conference.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/ben-carson-general-election-strategy-115713.html

Walker and Jeb are probably very, very afraid right now. Except some frantic course correction announcements in the coming days.

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 4, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

quote:

Amy Pass, who worked for Newt Gingrich’s 2012 campaign

quote:

another former top Gingrich official, Ruth Sherlock

quote:

Ryan Rhodes, who worked on Michelle Bachmann’s 2012 Iowa campaign

I'll admit I'm surprised these people are considered campaign talent.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Gingrich led the polls for quite a while until a personal failing brought him down. There's no evidence that his staff was anything less than exceptional throughout the campaign.

Belome
Jan 1, 2013
Intend to raise lots of money and get lots of votes. A great strategy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Gingrich's moment in the sun was all about his personal performance in several debates and had nothing to do with his campaign operation, who first quit en masse as soon as they figured out that they'd been hired to promote a book tour and were replaced with a skeleton crew who couldn't set up an office.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Which is why he's going to stay in the top three for most of the primary season. The man has already been thoroughly vetted by Republican voters, and they really do love him.

Will there be any cognitive dissonance when he does not become president even though Obama was only elected because he was black?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
No, it'll be because Democrats are the real racists. I've seen it plenty before. Supporting Obama, but not Ben Carson, is cause Democrats hate black people who can educate minorities on how welfare is a Democrat trap.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 22, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's a good excuse to watch Caucus, the documentary about the Iowa 2012 race. See if you can spot any staffers at the Gingrich appearances, other than the guy wearing the plushie elephant costume.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Nah man, the two-week Greek Vacation Cruise at the start of the campaign season was all part of the masterful plan to something something. The dude was a joke whose campaign only got as far as it did by running on the fumes of Newt's unbelievable hubris. Such self-aggrandizement can take you a bit, but just that -- only a bit.

Hey the fumes of his hubris did almost get him a unity ticket with Santorum.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hey the fumes of his hubris did almost get him a unity ticket with Santorum.

I like to imagine this went like Matt Santos meeting Bingo Bob to try and form the unity ticket , but like ten times as awkward and egotistical

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

richardfun posted:

I was talking about Walker, but I still enjoyed this response because it reminds me of that bit from Futurama about the Professor trying to remove his own brain.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Career politicians “fidget with the dials. They take baby steps,” said Terry Giles, a Houston lawyer who is set to serve as Carson’s campaign chairman. “But generally politicians lack either the will or the courage, because it can perhaps affect your political career, to take the bold steps necessary to turn this country around.”

"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious, bodily fluids. "

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Deep Hurting posted:

"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious, bodily fluids. "

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 22, 2016

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

Gingrich's moment in the sun was all about his personal performance in several debates and had nothing to do with his campaign operation, who first quit en masse as soon as they figured out that they'd been hired to promote a book tour and were replaced with a skeleton crew who couldn't set up an office.

And massive amounts of money from Sheldon Adelson.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Hilary was able to pull off some devastating owns in the 08 campaign like being the first to mention that Obama was raised in a madrassa

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Holy poo poo my sides have entered outer space

quote:

8. “I think most people when they finish that course, they’d be ready to go sign up for ISIS.”
~Ben Carson, claiming the AP History curriculum will cause students who learn about civil disobedience in this country to join a violent terrorist group, September 2014.

This dude is FAR crazier and entertaining than Herman Cain ever was.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh my god my I can't breathe send help

quote:

5. “I think what’s happening with the veterans is a gift from God to show us what happens when you take layers and layers of bureaucracy and place them between the patients and the health care provider. And if we can’t get it right, with the relatively small number of veterans, how in the world are you going to do it with the entire population?”
~Ben Carson, thanking God for dead soldiers in an attack on ObamaCare amid the Veteran’s Affairs military healthcare scandal in which veterans died waiting for medical care, Memorial Day Weekend 2014.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
God 4 president 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Venom Snake posted:

This dude is FAR crazier and entertaining than Herman Cain ever was.
Dude's a neurosurgeon? I'd expect proctology given how far his head is up his rear end.

But... I'd sign on to his campaign (as a consultant... And at a very high salary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I like how First Semester Debate Competitor carson's presentation style is

gonna be fun to watch on stage with Jeb "I am a Very Serious Businessman" Bush, Uncle Huckster, the Randpaul and Walkerbot

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 4, 2015

• Locked thread