Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I gotta admit I'd be disappointed if they introduced Ventress only to never have her show up or have Vader kill her early on. I think she's the single strongest character to come out of the whole Filoni production, and I definitely think there's room enough for her to take a prominent role without stealing the spotlight, especially with the second season being longer. She's also a really interesting contrast to Ezra and Kanan in that she actively doesn't want to be a Jedi, which I can't recall ever having been a thing before.

ftfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I hope we never encounter youngling Leia.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Ventress would make a good Inquisitor 2.0. At first I thought that she would never work with Palpatine, because he ordered Dooku to kill her, but then I remembered that she wouldn't know that. She may have pieced it together after the whole Palpatine reveal though. There are a few characters from Clone Wars that I would like to see pop up, either for the Empire or the Rebels. Hondo and Cad Bane were both great characters that could work in this universe.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

swickles posted:

Ventress would make a good Inquisitor 2.0. At first I thought that she would never work with Palpatine, because he ordered Dooku to kill her, but then I remembered that she wouldn't know that. She may have pieced it together after the whole Palpatine reveal though. There are a few characters from Clone Wars that I would like to see pop up, either for the Empire or the Rebels. Hondo and Cad Bane were both great characters that could work in this universe.

Hondo was confirmed by Jim Cummings.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Alchenar posted:

Yeah how long before New Hope are we? 5 years out? Luke and Leia'd be about Ezra's age wouldn't they? Something they have to be careful around now that Bail's been outed as the head of their section for the Rebellion

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

swickles posted:

Yea Ventress wanting to go and serve someone seems to make zero sense for the character, that would be so far out of place your essentially using a completely new character.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Aces High posted:

Yeah how long before New Hope are we? 5 years out? Luke and Leia'd be about Ezra's age wouldn't they? Something they have to be careful around now that Bail's been outed as the head of their section for the Rebellion

Why would Bail have outed himself in the Finale? He wasn't even there in person and none of the corvettes were Tantive IV. The three CR90s were the one from Gathering Forces (presumably Fulcrum's ship) and two others in markings very different from Bail's Corvette from Droids in Distress.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
My bet is that Hondo supplies arms to the Rebellion, owing to Ahsoka's familiarity with him.

Otherwise, I'm guessing Boba Fett will show up to establish some of his credentials outside the films (where he really doesn't do much aside of look cool), based on the Rebel Recon episode mentioning how season 2 will see their bounties raised and such. He'd be late twenties by now, so more than enough to go gallivanting around the galaxy solo (and possibly chasing after Solo). A young Leia wouldn't surprise me, but I'd hope they'd show restraint enough to make it like, a cameo, or otherwise a discreet role. She and her father have to keep up the facade of loyalty to the Empire until A New Hope, after all.

My two biggest interests going forward are A) Who Vader's frontman/woman will be, since the general indication is that he'll more of a looming spectre to the Ghost crew rather than a regular, recurring combatant (though probably enough to make clear that he is the big fish in this pond) and B) How Ahsoka and Kanan will align, since odds are they'll have entirely different views of the Jedi Order and what it should be if it ever comes back (if the concept behind Ahsoka's armour is canon, then she's likely been delving into their history), and there's still the only known pupil in the galaxy to teach.

Beyond that, really hope we get to delve into more backstories next season - which they are promising, so fingers crossed - since we only got an in show look for half the cast really. The expansion to travelling to other worlds should give them more than enough room to find opportunities to tell those stories.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kingcom posted:

Yea Ventress wanting to go and serve someone seems to make zero sense for the character, that would be so far out of place your essentially using a completely new character.

She is a bounty hunter now, so if they said we will give a bazillion space dollars to go take out this rebel cell, she would do it. She has no loyalty, and her only real goal is to gently caress over the people who killed her people and tried to take her out, most of whom she believes to be dead.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

swickles posted:

She is a bounty hunter now, so if they said we will give a bazillion space dollars to go take out this rebel cell, she would do it. She has no loyalty, and her only real goal is to gently caress over the people who killed her people and tried to take her out, most of whom she believes to be dead.

She was a bounty hunter for all of 1 episode. The second time it happened she ended up helping Ahsoka try and clear her name. I don't really think shes as much of a 1 dimensional character as you seem to imply. Definitely not an inquisitor 2.0

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Alchenar posted:

Did someone order an Ezra and Leia romance episode? That's where she got her first taste of mercenary hoodrats.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kingcom posted:

She was a bounty hunter for all of 1 episode. The second time it happened she ended up helping Ahsoka try and clear her name. I don't really think shes as much of a 1 dimensional character as you seem to imply. Definitely not an inquisitor 2.0

Thats kind of my point, she isn't one dimensional and basically goes where her whims and money take her. If it was something she wanted to do, she would do it. There is no reason to think she wouldn't take it, but you could easily write in some motivation other than money for her to do so.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Why would Bail have outed himself in the Finale? He wasn't even there in person and none of the corvettes were Tantive IV. The three CR90s were the one from Gathering Forces (presumably Fulcrum's ship) and two others in markings very different from Bail's Corvette from Droids in Distress.

not outed as in the Empire knows but we, the audience, and the Ghost crew know he is one of the leaders. Since the Ghost crew is now an official Rebel cell they will probably have more direct correspondence with Organa, as well as Ashoka instead of with "Fulcrum"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ventress is cool and I hope they do more with her, but there are enough brooding antiheroes out there, and I don't think she needs to become a regular. Ahsoka is unique in that she's a good character who cast away her beliefs due to hypocrisy and was fully justified in doing so. In a show where two of the main characters are desperately trying to revive the Jedi tradition, having a dissenter who isn't secretly evil just because she doesn't like the Jedi is potentially a way more interesting dynamic than anything Ventress could offer, in my opinion.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I've watched this show in two spurts, and holy poo poo it's legit good even if a bit goofy? I was turned off by the Clone Wars cartoons - or at least the few first ones, are they worth watching as well?

...My only problem so far is that the Blockade runners were way too fast - even for their namesake. :colbert:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Ventress is cool and I hope they do more with her, but there are enough brooding antiheroes out there, and I don't think she needs to become a regular. Ahsoka is unique in that she's a good character who cast away her beliefs due to hypocrisy and was fully justified in doing so. In a show where two of the main characters are desperately trying to revive the Jedi tradition, having a dissenter who isn't secretly evil just because she doesn't like the Jedi is potentially a way more interesting dynamic than anything Ventress could offer, in my opinion.

I never got the idea that she was casting away her beliefs in any respect. She just purely seemed to look at the jedi as big giant organisation as not something she wants to be a part of, nothing else about how she viewed life/the galaxy seemed to change.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

This summer's Dark Disciple novel will be about Ventress and Quinlan Vos and is based on what would have been episodes for season 7. It could shed some light on Ventress' life after the Clone Wars and how it might fit into Rebels.

The finale was great, I'm really looking forward to the next season. I hope the first episode gets on the internet in April or so after Celebration.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Minnesota Manatee posted:

This summer's Dark Disciple novel will be about Ventress and Quinlan Vos and is based on what would have been episodes for season 7. It could shed some light on Ventress' life after the Clone Wars and how it might fit into Rebels.

This is kinda the most disappointing part for me, I'm not really interested in her going off with a jedi so this kinda stops me really caring about the character. I don't really want to see her redeemed, I just want to see what she chooses to do with her freedom.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kingcom posted:

I never got the idea that she was casting away her beliefs in any respect. She just purely seemed to look at the jedi as big giant organisation as not something she wants to be a part of, nothing else about how she viewed life/the galaxy seemed to change.

That's what I mean, though. Any other typical Star Wars character would just turn to the dark side immediately, but Ahsoka didn't. That and she apparently doesn't even identify as a Jedi anymore. Ezra and Kanan are basically trying to do things the traditional way, and Ahsoka being there could put another spin on it, which is an idea I find really appealing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

That's what I mean, though. Any other typical Star Wars character would just turn to the dark side immediately, but Ahsoka didn't. That and she apparently doesn't even identify as a Jedi anymore. Ezra and Kanan are basically trying to do things the traditional way, and Ahsoka being there could put another spin on it, which is an idea I find really appealing.

I'll be honest and say I don't really follow anything EU related so I'll take your word for this being a unique thing but it alone is not enough for me to really want to see the character engage with them again. I think your enjoyment of the character isn't really going to change too much if you saw her in the clone wars.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kingcom posted:

I'll be honest and say I don't really follow anything EU related so I'll take your word for this being a unique thing but it alone is not enough for me to really want to see the character engage with them again. I think your enjoyment of the character isn't really going to change too much if you saw her in the clone wars.

I'm sure that has been done in the EU at some point, but that's irrelevant to the larger point that basically no "canon" Star Wars product has ever had a good character willingly walk away from being a Jedi for totally understandable and relatable reasons. I don't know why people still dislike Ahsoka after all this time, but the character dynamic is completely different now and she doesn't have Anakin there to stink up the place.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm sure that has been done in the EU at some point, but that's irrelevant to the larger point that basically no "canon" Star Wars product has ever had a good character willingly walk away from being a Jedi for totally understandable and relatable reasons. I don't know why people still dislike Ahsoka after all this time, but the character dynamic is completely different now and she doesn't have Anakin there to stink up the place.

My understanding was that I was one of the few people who didn't like Ahsoka.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kingcom posted:

Depends on how much CW you watched. If you only watched the first few episodes or even the first season, you probably dont like her. She got better as the show went on.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

kingcom posted:

She got better as Clone Wars went on. In the start, she was the main reason why I couldn't get past the first few episodes.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

swickles posted:

Depends on how much CW you watched. If you only watched the first few episodes or even the first season, you probably dont like her. She got better as the show went on.

I finished it except for skipping jar jar plot arcs and I didn't really care for her character. I had a bunch of problems with CW in general though so I don't really know if that just folds into all of that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well that was exciting. Lots of moving pieces around the board, setting up season 2, etc. I also had the 'Evacuate? In our moment of triumph?' in my head.

I know that Hera and Kanan are supposed to be together, or what have you, but sometimes the writing/acting seems like Kanan and Ezra are having the better relationship.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Kanan and Ezra are having the better relationship.

They are by a long shot.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I never really like ashoka but I think the way she left the order is very interesting and a plotline I'd like to see. As another poster commented, based on yodas teachings you are either on the path (Jedi) or you are in the ditch (dark side/Sith?). Having someone fall outside that dichotomy is interesting. Especially when you have a very inexperienced "master" and a cynical-for-children's-entertainment trainee. It'd be a good opportunity to have someone who is earnestly antagonistic without being an antagonist. Especially since we know how RoTJ goes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

kingcom posted:

They are by a long shot.

They're like this close ---> <--- to kissing.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Who says Ventriss gets "redeemed" just because she's hanging with a Jedi? Besides, Vos isn't exactly a normal straight-laced Jedi himself.

Dessel posted:

I've watched this show in two spurts, and holy poo poo it's legit good even if a bit goofy? I was turned off by the Clone Wars cartoons - or at least the few first ones, are they worth watching as well?

...My only problem so far is that the Blockade runners were way too fast - even for their namesake. :colbert:

Yes. TCW is pretty good but the first two seasons are a bit mediocre. By season 3 it starts to find its groove and just gets better and better.

As far as the Corvettes, why wouldn't they be pretty fast? We never really see any capital shios racing flat out in the OT movies except the Tantive IV chase, where a lack if reference point makes it hard to judge speed. Considering the CR90 looks nearly half engine in mass, I'd expect them to be fast. Its not like the were pulling any crazy and agile maneuvers . They just did a highspeed U-turn, plowing through the TIE cloud guns blazing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Really, my only complaint was the assertion that the little transport ship wouldn't fit in the Star Destroyer's hangar.

Props to whoever did the voice analysis work to figure out Fulcrum was Asohka.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Madurai posted:

Really, my only complaint was the assertion that the little transport ship wouldn't fit in the Star Destroyer's hangar.

It does and it doesn't. It fits into the huge opening on the underside of the ISD, as seen in the pilot. However it doesn't seem to fit inside the hangar bay(s) attached to the open area, at least not as they are depicted in Rebels.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Season 2 cast news:

quote:

Sarah Michelle Gellar is heading to a galaxy far, far away.

The actress will lend her voice to Disney XD's "Star Wars Rebels" animated series in a recurring role for Season 2, the network announced on Tuesday.

No other details on her character were revealed.

"We’re thrilled to have Sarah Michelle Gellar on board for season two. She is a true 'Star Wars Rebels' fan and her passion undoubtedly comes through in the voice recording sessions," executive producer/supervising director Dave Filoni said on Tuesday at the time of the announcement.

"Star Wars Rebels" will be a bit of a family affair for the former "Buffy" star – her husband Freddie Prinze Jr. is already featured in the series (voicing Kanan Jarrus).

Read more at http://www.accesshollywood.com/sarah-michelle-gellar-joins-star-wars-rebels_article_104992#swKLCAiFfsybgQ3s.99

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I wouldn't mind Jason Isaacs coming back again because he's great, but I hope that was the end of the roto-saber.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

kingcom posted:

Yeah at this point I imagine Barriss will probably show up as a Inquisitor, as she a fallen Jedi who probably got corrupted to be one.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rirse posted:

Yeah at this point I imagine Barriss will probably show up as a Inquisitor, as she a fallen Jedi who probably got corrupted to be one.

Seems like Vader would just straight murder her if he ever saw her again. I think anakin would be blaming her for his apprentice leaving but yea definitely makes more sense both logically and narratively to have Barriss as someone who is loyal to the empire than ventress.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 4, 2015

I eats my spinach
Jan 16, 2005

'sup gordon
Maul is possibly still kicking around as well from Clone Wars, and Palpatine spared his life with some stated purpose in mind

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Professor Awesome posted:

Maul is possibly still kicking around as well from Clone Wars, and Palpatine spared his life with some stated purpose in mind

I hope his top half got chopped off so now hes just a head rolling around.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Professor Awesome posted:

I was just assuming that stated purpose was Cybernetic Augmentation Test Subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Madurai posted:

Cybernetic Augmentation Test Subject.

:3:

• Locked thread