Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

You can also put the bar on top and tell the Wii it's on bottom, or vice versa. This can help you get a more comfortable range of motion depending how your furniture is set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Tender Bender posted:

You can also put the bar on top and tell the Wii it's on bottom, or vice versa. This can help you get a more comfortable range of motion depending how your furniture is set up.

But I don't wanna muck up my perfect pristine home theater setup by having an ugly sensor bar sitting there!

:argh: NINTENDOOOO :argh: WAGGLE :argh:

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
wii's problem was so much shovelware and garbage poo poo that it just vastly outnumbers the real/good games. like go to an ebgames or whatever and check the wii section and you'll not see an actual game, but 500 cases of toilet trash

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Ruddha posted:

wii's problem was so much shovelware and garbage poo poo that it just vastly outnumbers the real/good games. like go to an ebgames or whatever and check the wii section and you'll not see an actual game, but 500 cases of toilet trash

Hmm, if only people had access to some sort of vast information superhighway with which to learn what the good games are/were. Maybe even with devices that fit in our pockets!

Yeah that sure would be awesome. But, alas, we must instead rely upon instinct and box art alone when we try to decide between Super Mario Galaxy and Ninjabread Man at EBGames.

Devil Wears Wings fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 3, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Goo Gone brought to you by ExtremelyBuffOranges.com

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ruddha posted:

I have been buying consoles since Atari and literally every single one of them can be described like this. The Wii had plenty of amazing games just like every reasonably successful console before its time, but it also had tons of stuff that was not fun.

Edit: Every house should have a bottle of Goo Gone. It is good stuff.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
wii attracted a different level of shovelware compared to ps3/xbox360. like look at their catalogue and most of it is actual games for a human to play, but wii was probably 90%+ absolutely bargain basement bull poo poo trash with some very good games hidden underneath poop mountain

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

You don't have to use the adhesive unless you're constantly adjusting your TV or your living room is very windy.

Both my TVs are really thin with angled bevels, so it won't stay there unless something was used to adhere it.

Edit: Are people just trolling because I said something that may be construed as negative towards Nintendo? I feel like it's pretty normal to have a TV thin enough to not hold a sensor bar on the top and also don't want to start sticking stuff to it. I'm way less OCD about my electronics than most people, but I don't want to start putting stickers on my $1000+ TV.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 3, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Ruddha posted:

wii attracted a different level of shovelware compared to ps3/xbox360. like look at their catalogue and most of it is actual games for a human to play, but wii was probably 90%+ absolutely bargain basement bull poo poo trash with some very good games hidden underneath poop mountain

Either it was really easy to develop on or it's just the fact that there were a ton of the drat things out there I would guess. But yeah holy poo poo there is so much garbage- seemed to me there were a lot of collections of minigames people whipped up and carelessly slung out the door.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Ruddha posted:

I remember that, there was a metric ton of terrible 3rd party games on Wii. I would never have bought a single one, I kind of welcome the cleaner smaller game catalogue we have now.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The Wii was basically the Playstation 2 the second when it came to shovelware of 3rd parties trying to capitalize on an insanely high install base. 3rd parties (minus Ubisoft) came late to the game with Wii titles when they realized that there was money to be made and hastily moved ports in the hopes that idiot old people would buy whatever came out.. and they did.

Behold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGPEnsrCZJA

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

miiverse is going to be a much lonelier place

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fremry posted:

Both my TVs are really thin with angled bevels, so it won't stay there unless something was used to adhere it.

Edit: Are people just trolling because I said something that may be construed as negative towards Nintendo? I feel like it's pretty normal to have a TV thin enough to not hold a sensor bar on the top and also don't want to start sticking stuff to it. I'm way less OCD about my electronics than most people, but I don't want to start putting stickers on my $1000+ TV.

Is scotch tape not an option?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Louisgod posted:

The Wii was basically the Playstation 2 the second when it came to shovelware of 3rd parties trying to capitalize on an insanely high install base. 3rd parties (minus Ubisoft) came late to the game with Wii titles when they realized that there was money to be made and hastily moved ports in the hopes that idiot old people would buy whatever came out.. and they did.

Behold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGPEnsrCZJA

My brother gave me a stack of Wii games and this was included in it. I couldn't find out for the life of me why he bought it, but in that review when he said "It's gotten a little bit of a cult following on the internet", and it makes sense now. He makes questionable decisions if something is hyped on the internet.

Edit:

ChaosArgate posted:

Is scotch tape not an option?

Honestly, it's tolerable the way it is right now and there aren't a lot of Wii games I want to/plan on playing, so it's really not worth going into the hassle. I was just pointing out that it's not a perfect system since it's based on line of sight and the fact that that can be messed up easily.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 3, 2015

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
My sensor bar is taped to my Kinect.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My favorite thing about Ninjabreadman is the speedrun of it where on the "you completed the level" screen, if you mash fast enough, you hit the confirmation button twice so it assumes you beat 2 levels instead of 1

Also that it's just a graphical reskin of another game by the same dev, some game called anubis 2.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Fremry posted:

"I'm way less OCD about my electronics than most people but gently caress if I'm gonna let a bit of sticky goo stick to a part of my TV that nobody even sees unless they're standing directly over it."

Yes, people are trolling you because you said something negative about Nintendo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I put a couple of dabs of superglue so the cat wouldn't knock it over.. Somewhere out there, I'm sure one of you just had a heart attack at the sanctity of my monitor.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I had my Wii sensor bar stuck to the top of my TV with electrical tape. So when I got the Wii U, I did the natural thing and taped the Wii U sensor bar on top of the Wii sensor bar.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

KennyMan666 posted:

I had my Wii sensor bar stuck to the top of my TV with electrical tape. So when I got the Wii U, I did the natural thing and taped the Wii U sensor bar on top of the Wii sensor bar.

Well the Wii U is two Wiis duct taped together after all

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ruddha posted:

This was never an actual problem though because the Wii had plenty of really fun games worth playing amongst the garbage. This is no different than any other console. You are correct when you say that there was a lot of shovelware but that was not a flaw with the Wii. You will see this with any console that manages to establish such a large install base.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fremry posted:

Actually that's pretty weird

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

This was never an actual problem though because the Wii had plenty of really fun games worth playing amongst the garbage. This is no different than any other console. You are correct when you say that there was a lot of shovelware but that was not a flaw with the Wii. You will see this with any console that manages to establish such a large install base.

The Wii's ratio of quality titles (nearly all first-person) to garbage shovelware was outrageously skewed compared to the 360 and PS3. How the hell is this even in question.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Buy two New Nintendo 3DS XLs and leave them open next to your TV on opposite sides. The IR light for the face tracking should make a sensor bar.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Who cares how bad the ratio of good-to-crap games are on any given console unless you are buying then playing every single game on that platform?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

greatn posted:

Buy two New Nintendo 3DS XLs and leave them open next to your TV on opposite sides. The IR light for the face tracking should make a sensor bar.
Also make sure you enable Spotpass so you can get new puzzles lol

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The ratio of shovelware to good games is much less important than the actual total number of good games. The good games don't get less good if they're outnumbered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Wii U doesn't seem to be getting shovelware. I don't know how it is on the eshop though, but the number of shovelware retail games is very low this time compared to the Wii. It helps that EA Games and UBISoft pulled out of making games for Nintendo systems. Good riddance to both too, their absences aren't even noticed.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I said come in! posted:

The Wii U doesn't seem to be getting shovelware. I don't know how it is on the eshop though, but the number of shovelware retail games is very low this time compared to the Wii. It helps that EA Games and UBISoft pulled out of making games for Nintendo systems. Good riddance to both too, their absences aren't even noticed.

Well considering that shovelware has historically been an indicator of the health of a console I'd say it's pretty well missed, regardless of how lovely those games are. As great as the games are on the WiiU, it does need those games.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

The ratio of shovelware to good games is much less important than the actual total number of good games. The good games don't get less good if they're outnumbered.

No man you don't understand, the existence of so much shovelware just completely ruins any enjoyment I might have derived from the good games because

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Well considering that shovelware has historically been an indicator of the health of a console I'd say it's pretty well missed, regardless of how lovely those games are. As great as the games are on the WiiU, it does need those games.

The PS3 and 360 didn't get the shovelware titles that the Wii did though. All three systems sold around the same. The Wii was specifically targeted with intentionally garbage games, I don't know why that was but I don't think it had to do with the health of the system.

[edit]
Here is a more accurate explanation of what happened during the height of the Wii's popularity: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/wii-is-a-shovelware-dumping-ground-nintendo-doesnt-have-a-formal-concept-approval-process.201664031/ Basically Nintendo had no approval process in place (not sure about now), making it a huge dumping ground for garbage games. The DS was the same. Easy to make, cheap games that turned a profit due to Nintendo's lack of restrictions. The same would have happened on the 360 and PS3 but Microsoft and Sony had systems in place to weed that sort of thing out.

Another explanation for the lack of shovelware now is that phones are the better platform now for dumping that stuff.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

No man you don't understand, the existence of so much shovelware just completely ruins any enjoyment I might have derived from the good games because

No one is actually arguing this. The question that was raised on this page is whether or not the Wii had significantly more shovelware then the 360 and PS3. And it decidedly did. No one is questioning whether or not this really mattered in the grand scheme of things.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 4, 2015

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

It doesn't matter if Tetsuo is surrounded by a bunch of weird flesh and garbage and bad thoughts and problems, his heart is good, so there's no problem right now. - Kaneda, as Tetsuo expands into the weird flesh monster body horror thing

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ruddha posted:

It doesn't matter if Tetsuo is surrounded by a bunch of weird flesh and garbage and bad thoughts and problems, his heart is good, so there's no problem right now. - Kaneda, as Tetsuo expands into the weird flesh monster body horror thing

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Wii U General Discussion - a bunch of weird flesh and garbage and bad thoughts and problems

No but seriously this thread is no longer cute and needs to go back to being cute, everybody go take a couple days off or something. I'm gonna go play my WiiU.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I get my hard drive enclosure in the mail today (putting a 250gb hard drive in there), so I can finally start buying some games since I prefer digital. Going to get Wonderful 101, Hyrule Warriors, and Wind Waker HD.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I said come in! posted:

I wish they would make another NBA 2k for the Wii U. I'd spend too many hours in GM modes on the gamepad.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Ultigonio posted:

Shake It is the best Wario Land game.)

pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

The PS3 and 360 didn't get the shovelware titles that the Wii did though. All three systems sold around the same. The Wii was specifically targeted with intentionally garbage games, I don't know why that was but I don't think it had to do with the health of the system.

[edit]
Here is a more accurate explanation of what happened during the height of the Wii's popularity: http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/wii-is-a-shovelware-dumping-ground-nintendo-doesnt-have-a-formal-concept-approval-process.201664031/ Basically Nintendo had no approval process in place (not sure about now), making it a huge dumping ground for garbage games. The DS was the same. Easy to make, cheap games that turned a profit due to Nintendo's lack of restrictions. The same would have happened on the 360 and PS3 but Microsoft and Sony had systems in place to weed that sort of thing out.

Another explanation for the lack of shovelware now is that phones are the better platform now for dumping that stuff.

No one is actually arguing this. The question that was raised on this page is whether or not the Wii had significantly more shovelware then the 360 and PS3. And it decidedly did. No one is questioning whether or not this really mattered in the grand scheme of things.

Also making HD games are expensive. The Wii's much lower specs would've made it a much more viable platform for cheap games to be knocked out on. Ditto for the PS2 during the middle/later years of its decade-long lifespan. And yes, you're simply not going to see a rush of retail console shovelware on anything again to the extent of the Wii/PS2 because it's much cheaper to dump'em on phones.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Do people still care about Metroid Prime impressions? Cuz I just beat a pain in the rear end boss- Omega Pirate. poo poo, that was stressful! I'm still shaking, gently caress.

While fighting him I was thinking, "I'd better get a drat good prize for beating this pain in the rear end!" After using up almost ALL of my over 160 missiles (I forget just how many I have...) fucker goes down and um... yeah. That was... a thing!

Time to collect stuff! I have all but one of the Chozo artifacts thanks to picking up all the hints and going after them when I was in the area. It's relatively painless that way! Guess I'm almost at the end of the game... It's been a fun ride! Great game! I'll move on to the sequel once I have this one beaten!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love hearing the Prime impressions. That fight has an awesome ending and is really tough the first time you play it.

A few years back I running the game fast as I could and my path took me to Omega Pirate with no Gravity Suit and only 4 Energy tanks. All I remember is that I survived with literally 1 Health left after jumping off a Space Pirate to land the final hit. That was intense. I think i finished with an ingame time of 2 hours 30 minutes exact.

• Locked thread