Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Do the Amiibos unlock the character for that specific stage or can I borrow one and just have the character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

elf help book posted:

I'm moving near a high school soon I hope I get a lot of street passes.

Isn't this against the terms of your release??

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

noirstronaut posted:

Do the Amiibos unlock the character for that specific stage or can I borrow one and just have the character?

I think you're supposed to rescan the character if they happen to die, but that's it I think. I'm not entirely sure though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

codenameFANGIO posted:

Isn't this against the terms of your release??

101 yards away from the school

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

Calm down dude, it's gonna be okay. People generally expect those things to take a while when its a person doing them, less so when it's a computer in a video game.

I still don't see how the wait is any worse than Advance Wars, FFT, or FE, especially on a map that has fog-of-war.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fryhtaning posted:

I still don't see how the wait is any worse than Advance Wars, FFT, or FE, especially on a map that has fog-of-war.

Because in those games, enemies who didn't move were ignored. So, if a team of fifteen guys has only three of them move, then you'd see three guys move and now it's your turn.

In Steam, a team of fifteen guys means you're watching fifteen guys, even the ones who don't move, they'll have an idle animation where they look around a bit but continue standing there doing nothing, and it takes about 5 seconds to watch them do nothing. It's beyond baffling. Every enemy turn takes ages because of this.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Because in those games, enemies who didn't move were ignored. So, if a team of fifteen guys has only three of them move, then you'd see three guys move and now it's your turn.

In Steam, a team of fifteen guys means you're watching fifteen guys, even the ones who don't move, they'll have an idle animation where they look around a bit but continue standing there doing nothing, and it takes about 5 seconds to watch them do nothing. It's beyond baffling. Every enemy turn takes ages because of this.

It's going to stop me from getting the game for now, too. I liked the demo otherwise (and never played Valkyrie Chronicles, so I have no point of reference). It wasn't bad at the first part of the demo with one or two characters, but in the later levels where you have four characters of you own and the number of enemies increases to match that, it' really grinds to a halt.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Like someone else said, the big issue is that there are enemies that won't be moving around cause they're just waiting for you to pass to sneak up on you but you keep having to wait for them to make their turns too and it just gets really annoying waiting for that especially when you're just trying to maneuver your units closer to each other and topping everybody's health off.

The other issue I had was that the camera felt way too zoomed in. Combined with how cluttered some of the stages are, it felt like there was way too much poo poo on screen and without being able to zoom out the camera a little I was stuck trying to make shots with John Henry's grenades or Lion's jetpack jump without being able to see where they were hitting due to high angle shots and stuff.

I still want the game tho, I had fun with it despite those two big flaws

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

Fog of War rocks when it's like 20 units moving and the only thing you can do is listen to a bunch of tank treads and boots stomping.

And you got like 5 units working their hearts out to try and get this base conquered before you get destroyed.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The wait isn't that long, the demo is fun, and you people are such babies about the stupidest poo poo. Gonna play the gently caress out of Codename STEAM when it comes out and scan all of my stupid amiibos as well.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I do not think I am going to buy the game, based on my experiences in the demo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

same

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I am going to buy it at some point I think, but not on release.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I can't stop playing Monster Hunter.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I can't stop playing Monster Hunter.

This. So many times this.

I don't even know why I'm buying other 3ds titles because I haven't even exited MH since I bought this new 3ds.

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides

Supercar Gautier posted:

I do not think I am going to buy the game, based on my experiences in the demo.

Me as well.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Red Robin Hood posted:

This. So many times this.

I don't even know why I'm buying other 3ds titles because I haven't even exited MH since I bought this new 3ds.

This is myself as well. Though I did just buy Super Smash Bros and Omega Ruby because they were $20 / piece.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Is Codename STEAM enhanced by the New 3DS features besides amiibo? This info is surprisingly hard to find online.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Etrips posted:

This is myself as well. Though I did just buy Super Smash Bros and Omega Ruby because they were $20 / piece.

I did the same thing and I'm not going to touch 'em!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

mancalamania posted:

Is Codename STEAM enhanced by the New 3DS features besides amiibo? This info is surprisingly hard to find online.

If you mean the additional cores, the only game to take advantage of them that's currently announced is Xenoblade.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Had a :3: Nintendo moment today. My 9 year old nephew brought over his Super Mario Bros. 25th Anniversary edition DSi XL I got him for his 5th birthday and we download played Mario Kart DS against my n3DSXL. It was an awesome experience.

And boy do DS games look much sharper and brighter on his DSi XL. I was kinda jelly.

I know this is a 3DS thread but what are other fun games to play versus single cart through DS Download? Or any other fun multiplayer DS games?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Sade posted:

If you mean the additional cores, the only game to take advantage of them that's currently announced is Xenoblade.

Smash Bros and Monster Hunter do as well, I believe

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Housh posted:

Had a :3: Nintendo moment today. My 9 year old nephew brought over his Super Mario Bros. 25th Anniversary edition DSi XL I got him for his 5th birthday and we download played Mario Kart DS against my n3DSXL. It was an awesome experience.

And boy do DS games look much sharper and brighter on his DSi XL. I was kinda jelly.

I know this is a 3DS thread but what are other fun games to play versus single cart through DS Download? Or any other fun multiplayer DS games?

Here's the full list
http://www.dssinglecard.com/gamelist-name.html

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why would a game look better on a DS than a 3DS?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Waltzing Along posted:

Why would a game look better on a DS than a 3DS?

Native resolution.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You can start DS games in their native resolution if you hold select on start up. I'd only recommend doing that if you have an XL though.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
Any grips made their way to US stores yet? I don't mind paying extra for a Japanese one, I just don't want to wait around for it to get here.

Monster hunter is destroying my hands.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can start DS games in their native resolution if you hold select on start up. I'd only recommend doing that if you have an XL though.
That's insane. A normal size DS is really that small?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Housh posted:

The DSLite was about the size of an OG 3DS. Yeah, it is that small.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Housh posted:

I love it because the pixel size is basically the same if you do it in 1:1 mode on a XL.

e: that sentence doesn't really make any sense, but you know what I mean. Also works for GBA games!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yep, that's their size.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

That's a large picture of a tiny screen

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Saagonsa posted:

That's a large picture of a tiny screen

Because phones apparently save the biggest pictures they can.

EDIT: What I really want to know what I did differently than everyone else because I have intact hinges on my release DS Lite while everyone else's seemed to have hinges made out of butter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Housh posted:

I swear going back to a DS Phat from even an OG 3DS makes you wonder how you played anything on it.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
The regular size 3DS is really tiny I was shocked when mine arrived, got used to it don't want it any other way.

The screen is 3.5" diagonally.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SeANMcBAY posted:

Wow. I'ts like 1/2 the screen size but sooo much sharper.

E: I am so on the fence about amiibos. On one hand I'd like to try them out but there aren't many that really interest me. On the other, I can see myself going nuts buying them and spending too much $$$.

Are they worth it?

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 4, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Mythbusted

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pixel density is also a thing between the screens.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Did I do this right? :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Waltzing Along posted:

E: I am so on the fence about amiibos. On one hand I'd like to try them out but there aren't many that really interest me. On the other, I can see myself going nuts buying them and spending too much $$$.

Are they worth it?

The people going nuts over them right now only really care about having/collecting figures, pretty much. Most of them don't really do anything outside of Smash, and there's no guarantee that a lot of the more obscure amiibos will ever do anything interesting.

For (New) 3DS specifically, you can use them to train AI partners in Smash and you'll be able to add Fire Emblem characters to Codename STEAM, that's everything worth mentioning.