Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

rovert posted:

Like I've been saying Regal has been gaining power while Demott's has decreased.

Considering how fond of Regal Hunter is, I'm shocked Regal hasn't been the head trainer from the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

fart blood posted:

I kinda wonder how guys like KENTA, Devitt, Steen, etc would react to Demott's actions if he tried that on them (assuming this is all true.)

That kind of poo poo is probably par for the course in the dojos Devitt and KENTA came up in.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

fart blood posted:

Considering how fond of Regal Hunter is, I'm shocked Regal hasn't been the head trainer from the beginning.

*MS Office joke*

Regal is also really soft spoken. Imagine him shouting across the Performance Center with 90 people in it working out in various forms and 6 rings squeaking and banging away. I don't think he is the guy. He can also be very aloof/weird at times. Some people are kind of disappointed after meeting him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Again, not trying to defend Demott, but I'd say one of the most important skills a wrestler can have in the modern style is cardio. So it would make sense for basically all the drills to be cardio & bumping for a long while. It's not like you can just skip all that, do your 2 minute Raw matches, then all of a sudden train cardio when Vince decides to put you in a main event on a whim.

Not saying you should be pushing guys so hard they get injured, though. Obviously you can take the training too far.

Yeah, but they're not training for cardio, they're trying to break the new guys like. If their cardiovascular improves it's a nice side effect. At least in a New Japan dojo they learn how to wrestle. WWE for a while produced nothing but a bunch of impressive bodies that looked worthless the second they talked or even moved.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yeah, but they're not training for cardio, they're trying to break the new guys like. If their cardiovascular improves it's a nice side effect. At least in a New Japan dojo they learn how to wrestle. WWE for a while produced nothing but a bunch of impressive bodies that looked worthless the second they talked or even moved.

Won't hear a bad word about copying a system that worked

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not entirely sure the powerplant wasn't some sort of political move by the guys on top in WCW to ensure there'd be no new talent to take their spots.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

LordPants posted:

Ring Of Honor and to a lesser extent the other indies seriously has been the best feeder territory for them.

It's really a bit embarrassing in that regard.

It is going to be interesting to see if all this money they put into their Performance Centre pays off down the road and they show a better track record of developing talent in house. As of now their top "developmental" guys are all from indies or Japanese feds and are better than most of the people on the main roster.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

God, the Natural Born Thrillers were just the worst.

They were the most average group of guys ever (except for Mike Sanders, obviously), so it's not like there's even some ironic enjoyment to get out of them.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 3, 2015

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

rovert posted:

He can also be very aloof/weird at times. Some people are kind of disappointed after meeting him.

How so?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

I think people just come in with too high expectations and think he is going to regale them with stories or something. But he is someone who has fought through "demons" and has a melancholy side.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thauros posted:

It is going to be interesting to see if all this money they put into their Performance Centre pays off down the road and they show a better track record of developing talent in house. As of now their top "developmental" guys are all from indies or Japanese feds and are better than most of the people on the main roster.

I feel like the non-indy/Japan talent have gotten better since the influx of talent due to working with these guys so much.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

rovert posted:

I think people just come in with too high expectations and think he is going to regale them with stories or something. But he is someone who has fought through "demons" and has a melancholy side.

I'm shocked, I thought English people were known for their warmth and being outgoing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

And when you consider his bombastic commentary style, that really goes against type.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Really curious as to the thought process of keeping Demott. It's not like you can point to any main roster guys and say they for sure wouldn't be there without Demott's help.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd say just hand Billy Gunn the keys with Regal and Steamboat as advisors. I'm no huge fan of Billy's work, but he understands the basics of ring psychology and the WWE style, is probably more than capable of getting in somebody's face WHEN NEEDED, and most importantly, he's Mr.rear end.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 3, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Did DeMott train people at the Power Plant? I know the regimen there from DeWayne Bruce was nothing but extreme cardio and strength training.

triplexpac posted:

Reading more of the Jan 5 1998 Observer issue this morning. The ECW review is hilarious, I'm shocked that WWE chose to not put this stuff on the Network.

I like how Dave clarified for everyone what a bong was, just in case.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 3, 2015

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd say just hand Billy Gunn the keys with Regal and Steamboat as advisors. I'm no huge fanof Billy's work, but he understands the basics of ring psychology and the WWE style, is probably more than capable of getting in somebody's face WHEN NEEDED, and most importantly, he's Mr.rear end.

Billy is in incredible shape for a 51 year old who has been wrestling for two and a half decades. I'd want him teaching guys at NXT just for the secret to keeping healthy for that long.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Great White Hope posted:

Billy is in incredible shape for a 51 year old who has been wrestling for two and a half decades. I'd want him teaching guys at NXT just for the secret to keeping healthy for that long.

Step 1) Get in a tag team where the other guy has to do all the selling

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Great White Hope posted:

Be the guy who sits around saying "and if you ain't down with that, I got two words for ya"

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

its all in the rear end

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

This all sounds like great advice and I'm looking forward to Mark and Jay Asscoe.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

sportsgenius86 posted:

I feel like the non-indy/Japan talent have gotten better since the influx of talent due to working with these guys so much.

Other than the main event, NXT would be wise to pair an indie darling with an in-house product to help develop talent. That way someone like Baron Corbin can focus on having the best match of his career every night, while someone like Finn Bálor can focus on playing to the hard camera the best he ever has while having a relatively vanilla match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did DeMott train people at the Power Plant? I know the regimen there from DeWayne Bruce was nothing but extreme cardio and strength training.

I think it's more that that used to be how wrestling schools worked*. You take their money, you work em till they're too sick of the bullshit, or too beat up to keep going, and pocket the cash. The few that stay, you maybe teach the basics and get them a couple bookings, then tell them they owe you 10% of all their future earnings.

*Yeah, yeah, I know. "Used to?".

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

triplexpac posted:

Step 2. Do a lot of steroids.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

LordPants posted:

Ring Of Honor and to a lesser extent the other indies seriously has been the best feeder territory for them.

It's really a bit embarrassing in that regard.

it's neither surprising nor embarrassing that people who have been working a bunch of big matches around the country and world are developing better than people who haven't

people seem to think that the national promotions taking the best talent from the territories is something that's unsustainable and will be the death of the WWE, instead of it being hte way wrestling has worked since the time that there's been national promotions

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Reading more of the Jan 5 1998 Observer issue this morning. The ECW review is hilarious, I'm shocked that WWE chose to not put this stuff on the Network.

I like these two bits:

quote:

There were several fights in the stands in New York and a woman did take off her top, which is kind of becoming the in-thing at the New York shows.

Reports are that Sandman is looking even worse in the ring than before.

Fights, tits, poo poo wrestling!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ch3cooh posted:

I like these two bits:

America. :911:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ch3cooh posted:

i'm looking forward to seeing Dave's reaction at this combination causing the hottest period in wrestling for some time

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Alain Post posted:

i'm looking forward to seeing Dave's reaction at this combination causing the hottest period in wrestling for some time

It's kind of eerie, in this weeks old Observer he notes that "There wasn't much wrestling (20 minutes in a two hour show) but the Raw on 12/29 from the Nassau Coliseum was maybe the best Raw in a while"

Of course they had a much better show than us, featuring "Goldust dressed up as the New Year baby in a diaper with a large bottle doing his reading with the exaggerated stereotypical voice. Steve Austin came out and they dropped (clumsily I might add) an outhouse from the ceiling and Austin put Goldust in it twice, turning it over the second time"

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

triplexpac posted:

It's how Roman got to be in the main event of mania.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

triplexpac posted:

It's kind of eerie, in this weeks old Observer he notes that "There wasn't much wrestling (20 minutes in a two hour show) but the Raw on 12/29 from the Nassau Coliseum was maybe the best Raw in a while"

Of course they had a much better show than us, featuring "Goldust dressed up as the New Year baby in a diaper with a large bottle doing his reading with the exaggerated stereotypical voice. Steve Austin came out and they dropped (clumsily I might add) an outhouse from the ceiling and Austin put Goldust in it twice, turning it over the second time"

:stare: I had no recollection of this but, uh, yeah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXEGabD2a5k

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nerokerubina posted:

it's neither surprising nor embarrassing that people who have been working a bunch of big matches around the country and world are developing better than people who haven't

No, it's embarrassing that a multi million dollar company can't develop their own talent. Especially when you realise they had NO TROUBLE doing it themselves when it was OVW (who produced the current crop of stars). FCW has for the most part just 'retrained' a bunch of ROH guys.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Didn't Batista hate OVW because they never actually taught him anything, and he mostly got where he was in spite of them?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LordPants posted:

No, it's embarrassing that a multi million dollar company can't develop their own talent. Especially when you realise they had NO TROUBLE doing it themselves when it was OVW (who produced the current crop of stars). FCW has for the most part just 'retrained' a bunch of ROH guys.

Rusev, Wyatt, Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns are not ROH guys.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alain Post posted:

Rusev, Wyatt, Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns are not ROH guys.
Ambrose is an indie veteran at least. And technically he has wrestled in Ring of Honor.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 4, 2015

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

Didn't Batista hate OVW because they never actually taught him anything, and he mostly got where he was in spite of them?

Yeah apparently they thought he was the bee's knees but he didn't like it there. :shrug:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

OVW taught him only what he needed to know to be a well protected big man and Batista did not appreciate that.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

OVW only booked Batista in 5 minute squashes when he actually wanted to learn how to work so he isn't the fondest of his days there

e; what ultimo said

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of FCW Dave's line about The Wolves in FCW was funny

(it was pretty much) "You saw a match between the Wolves and The Ascension and you picked The Ascension? You can pass on The Wolves because Davey Richards is an rear end in a top hat but that wasn't the reason that they did!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
That was in NXT, right?

• Locked thread