Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

thespaceinvader posted:

No more so than dominion is owning/developing land in the middle ages themed.

Ehhh. If you're going by Tekopo's "theme is different than setting", I'd argue that go's mechanics are more strongly tied to its theme than Dominion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

thespaceinvader posted:

No more so than dominion is owning/developing land in the middle ages themed.

E: and chess? War themed? How many wars do you know about where the king and queen line up together with 8 pawns in front of them, two bishops on either side of them, and mobile castles? Huh? How many :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow4cC-Cz5l8

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

JoshTheStampede posted:

For me at least, its not that it has a weak or absent theme, its that it feels really...like a tech demo. It doesn't even have the trappings of a full game around it. I know, neither does poker, but I don't enjoy poker either. It's a game in the way that rock paper scissors feels like a game.

It also just really feels like multiplayer solitaire in a way I dont like, and there's a nagging feeling that there's a mathematically correct solution to every tableau and the game is just about who sees it first.

Again, how does it not have the trappings of a full game around it? Because it's missing fiddly bits (it has fiddly bits, it has half a dozen mats, VP and coin tokens, albeit in the expansions)? Do fiddly bits make a game? Is rummy not a game? Hearts? Or to go another way, what about Dixit? Dixit has far fewer components and a lot less specific theme. What DOES count as something with 'the trappings of a game'?

The multiplayer solitaire thing is a point, perhaps, but for two issues, that a: dominion is as much about playing your opponents as it is the board, in a lot of cases, and b: it's a lot more interactive than it first appears anyway, given that there are several end conditions and you need to be careful that you don't leave your opponents the opportunity to end the game whilst they're ahead.

Single-solution boards... yeah, again, there's something there, especially only with the base set - except it's been fairly elegantly demonstrated that you can build a board from the base set alone on which there are three different, roughly equally likely ways to win, any one of which will beat one of the others and be beaten by one of the others, making it about working out what your opponent is playing and countering him, more than about just doing the beep boop solution. Some boards do have a best option, though, you're quite right. But even with that, there are better and worse ways to get to it, and in most cases, tactical choices on a hand-by-hand basis to go with the overall 'pick the beep boop strategy' decision.

silvergoose posted:

Ehhh. If you're going by Tekopo's "theme is different than setting", I'd argue that go's mechanics are more strongly tied to its theme than Dominion.
Yeah, I'll give you that much. Go is almost pure tactics/strategy in a way very few other games are, to the point where I only barely scratch the surface in understanding how to play it, let alone having any real idea how to win it.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 3, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
All things being equal I'd rather have a theme than not have a theme. I feel like it's more satisfying to come out the other end of a game having won because you did the most thing rather than just having the most points and not really knowing what that means. I can play Caverna and say "I built the best cave dwelling!" and that's enjoyable. I can play Viticulture and say "I made the best/most/whatever wine!" Good mechanics are important, but it's also fun to be able to come out the other end of a game with a little story or narrative. It doesn't mean that theme has to trump mechanics, but I think when the two play off each other it makes for a more enjoyable rewarding experience.

I own Trains, and I'm looking to pick up Rising Sun whenever I can find a deal on it because it adds some "missions" for the route building in the game. And the board is interesting but it doesn't always feel balanced. The board should either be more diffuse or the game last longer in order to have more opportunities to do stuff. I certainly won't say Trains is stronger mechanically, but it's stronger thematically, and I also really enjoy train games. All that said, neither Dominion or Trains get much play in my group, because reasons.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

You can do all that stuff in dominion as well, so...

Put it this way: there's little more satisfying than owning someone so hard in Dominion that your best way to win is to use Ambassador to give them a Colony in order to empty the colony pile, and still win.

Trains is basically just Dominion with the 'one action per turn' art taken out, and some of the VP cards give you junk as well, and it has dramatically fewer cards than even the base set did IIRC. All of the things you can do with pollution in trains, you can do with trashers in dominion, only better.

The main reason it's a better game, is because it was playtested a tonne more. I feel safe in saying that despite not knowing how trains was playtested, because it was designed and published after Dominion, and there hasn't been enough time since dominion was published for it to have been playtested as much as dominion is claimed to have been.

I'll never understand this idea that dominion is somehow not a game because it has weak theme. Is chess somehow not a game because it has weak theme? What about draughts/checkers? Go? Every single game using a normal 52-card deck of playing cards? it's not like there's any loving theme at all to poker.

I am not saying Dominion isn't a better game mechanically, quite the opposite. But trashing VP cards is not an option in Dominion, and that seems like the closest comparison for waste in Trains.

It also isn't that the theme is weak, it's that it has no real readable board state. There is nothing to visually analyse, unless you remember what who bought. To me, that makes it feel like there is no game, just a well executed mechanic. Like the engine of a Ferrari without a car attached. Trains puts a Fiat on a weaker engine, but at least it's a full car.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

All other things being equal, I'd prefer to have a mechanically strong, well-designed game. If I'm going to spend a bunch of money and time on it, I'd far rather it went into making a balanced game which I have a fair chance of winning if I don't gently caress it up, than it went into shiny artwork and fun story. If I want shiny artwork and fun story, I'll read a comic book. If I'm playing a game, I want a GAME.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

BonHair posted:

I am not saying Dominion isn't a better game mechanically, quite the opposite. But trashing VP cards is not an option in Dominion, and that seems like the closest comparison for waste in Trains.

It also isn't that the theme is weak, it's that it has no real readable board state. There is nothing to visually analyse, unless you remember what who bought. To me, that makes it feel like there is no game, just a well executed mechanic. Like the engine of a Ferrari without a car attached. Trains puts a Fiat on a weaker engine, but at least it's a full car.

Trains is the designers selling the engine to buy the rest of the Ferrari so you can sit in it and make VROOM noises.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

BonHair posted:

gently caress off. Apprentice, Salvager, Chapel (hell, part of the BASIC IDEA OF THE DECKBUILDER is to trash the lovely cards you start with, which includes oh wait, your three estates), Bishop, Trading Post, Forge, Remodel, Remake, Expand, Upgrade, Rebuild (a card whose ENTIRE PURPOSE IS TRASHING VP CARDS), Trader, Governer, Butcher, Feodum, I could go on and on and on and on there are entire strategies built around getting a little bit ahead and then buying a trashing VP so your opponents can't get them.

You can't read your opponents' decks, yeah, again, I'll give you that, and the 'did he buy one province or two' thing bugs me in in-person play, because I struggle to track who bought what well enough most of the time. But you can definitely read the board state, and being aware of what;s happening with piles and the end game is a critical skill in the game.

BonHair posted:

I literally don't understand what you're on about here. It has a start and an end, it has a win condition, it has tactics and strategy, it's a game. It's a full car. If we must do cars, Dominion is a well-designed race car which went through a lot of track testing and user testing until it was the best-tuned, lightest, tightest car available, but that left it without things like electric windows, sound system, and trick suspension. Trains adds shiny bits, and takes away some of the control and handling in order to give it downlight LEDs under the chassis and suspension that bounces up and down.

If what you want is a race car, play dominion. If what you want is an obnoxious boy-racer-mobile, buy trains It's just as complete a game. it just doesn't perform as well. :iiaca:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If you haven't tried Dominion with pre-fabricated Kingdoms meant to interact with each other, you should give it a shot. It's a lot of fun. Might feel less mechanical.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11100.0
http://www.dominiondeck.com/games/popular

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

thespaceinvader posted:

The main reason it's a better game, is because it was playtested a tonne more. I feel safe in saying that despite not knowing how trains was playtested, because it was designed and published after Dominion, and there hasn't been enough time since dominion was published for it to have been playtested as much as dominion is claimed to have been.

Dominion had a thorough development period, sure, but it wasn't 6 years. Dominion was created in October 2006 (see The Secret History of Dominion) and released at Essen in October 2008. Enough time has passed to playtest 3 generations of knockoffs as much as the original. The fact remains that there's no way Trains got 2 years of playtesting, but the passage of time has at least made it possible.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

As an addendum, don't play seven player games of 7 Wonders because it's poo poo with that many people anyway.

7 Wonders works better than almost any of its direct competitors would at 7 (which is somewhat faint praise, but I've certainly enjoyed it a lot at 6 and 7 players). 7 is just an awkward number for a single game (especially if the 7 is a mix of experienced and new players). Yes it can be a bit slow - but at least it goes as slow as your slowest player, rather than the sum slowness of all your players. For my group, we all learned the base and then the expansions at the same time, so we never had big issues with teaching. For a while, we were playing 6 or 8 player "team 7 Wonders" every day during lunch hour, and the game held up fine for prolonged, reasonably competitive play. Balance isn't perfect, but it's not terrible either, and there's a lot of variety, interaction, and potential for strategic tight play (especially with teams).

I've also pulled out the base game randomly with new players a few times, and generally had very favorable response from a variety of types of players. While we don't play it much any more I'm surprised anyone has much ill-will for it; it's just generally a solid, if not overly awe-inspiring, game that happens to have the rare property of playing OK with 6-8 players.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

thespaceinvader posted:

Again, how does it not have the trappings of a full game around it? Because it's missing fiddly bits (it has fiddly bits, it has half a dozen mats, VP and coin tokens, albeit in the expansions)? Do fiddly bits make a game? Is rummy not a game? Hearts? Or to go another way, what about Dixit? Dixit has far fewer components and a lot less specific theme. What DOES count as something with 'the trappings of a game'?

My complaints about Dominion are almost entirely "feel" based. I'm not saying it's not a game, I'm saying it feels like a halfway-developed game. If that isn't substantial enough a complaint, sorry, but it's why I don't really enjoy Dominion.

I'm sure the game gets better when you put more effort into learning what boards are balanced and best, but that is a lot of effort to put into a game that I didn't really enjoy the first ten or twenty times I played it.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Half the fun in Dominion is figuring out how to make the chosen kingdom cards work well together. But that's me - i haven't played Trains before, and i probably lose more dominion than I win since I try for dumb or goofy gimmicks with the kingdom cards.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Poopy Palpy posted:

Dominion had a thorough development period, sure, but it wasn't 6 years. Dominion was created in October 2006 (see The Secret History of Dominion) and released at Essen in October 2008. Enough time has passed to playtest 3 generations of knockoffs as much as the original. The fact remains that there's no way Trains got 2 years of playtesting, but the passage of time has at least made it possible.

I'll concede that point, although, to some extent it depends what you consider as 'Dominion' - there are cards being released in current sets which were initially considered way back in 2006, and have been in the gradual process of being playtested since then.

But that's maybe not a fair comparison with Trains.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

My complaints about Dominion are almost entirely "feel" based. I'm not saying it's not a game, I'm saying it feels like a halfway-developed game. If that isn't substantial enough a complaint, sorry, but it's why I don't really enjoy Dominion.

I'm sure the game gets better when you put more effort into learning what boards are balanced and best, but that is a lot of effort to put into a game that I didn't really enjoy the first ten or twenty times I played it.

There's no accounting for taste, I guess.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

The playing interface itself isn't very ludic and there's not enough of a skinner box attached to make it feel gamey. This also contributes to some of the problems that beginners have with dominion. Buying a bunch of villages "feels" a lot better because there's an immediate reward when you play them.

Playing dominion electronically helps make it gamier by introducing sound effects.

There are probably some ways you could keep the mechanics the exact same but make the interface a little gamier. For example spreading out the province cards in a 4x2 row in the middle so that when you buy one it reinforces the fact that the card is physically gone, and that no one else can buy it. Silly things like that with no impact on the game mechanics can sometimes make a difference for some people.

I like dominion just fine, but you're definitely not alone in your opinion here.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This confirms my impression that people who call Dominion "single player solitaire" are just really bad at it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Wait so are we saying that skinner boxes enhance the "game-ness" of something now?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Wait so are we saying that skinner boxes enhance the "game-ness" of something now?

I don't know who "we" is but I am saying that there are design elements besides just mechanics that contribute to how the game "feels" from a subjective standpoint. There's no reason why King of Tokyo needs to have cardboard standup figures to move in and out of Tokyo, but it probably makes the game feel better than keeping track on a pad of paper.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah I doubt many people would even play X-wing if it was just little cardboard rectangles with stats on it.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

sector_corrector posted:

This confirms my impression that people who call Dominion "single player solitaire" are just really bad at it.

Exactly
If you aren't basing your strategy almost entirely on your opponent's moves, you aren't playing dominion correctly

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

My impression is also that beginners love the poo poo out of Dominion. One of the things that I really appreciated from playing Dominion a ton this weekend with some normies (and in stark contrast with 7 Wonders) was that we could all have fun while people were learning. I'd make some janky silk roads deck or something and they would putter along with some village monstrosity or maybe a deck full of torturers and even when they lost they still seemed satisfied. Furthermore, everyone's strategy and tactics are pretty much exposed for everyone, so observant players will pick up quick just by example.

Whereas with 7 Wonders, most people didn't understand the victory conditions until after the fact, even after explaining it a few times in between ages.

edit:

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah I doubt many people would even play X-wing if it was just little cardboard rectangles with stats on it.

That's kind of Disk Wars, as I understand it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

esquilax posted:

I don't know who "we" is but I am saying that there are design elements besides just mechanics that contribute to how the game "feels" from a subjective standpoint. There's no reason why King of Tokyo needs to have cardboard standup figures to move in and out of Tokyo, but it probably makes the game feel better than keeping track on a pad of paper.

I don't mean to sound dismissive when I say this, but do you know what a skinner box actually is? Nothing you just said relates to it, and nothing I said implied that mechanics are the only thing which contribute to a game's atmosphere.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

skinner boxes should be used more often in board gaming - to stop people from playing munchkin.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Countblanc posted:

I don't mean to sound dismissive when I say this, but do you know what a skinner box actually is? Nothing you just said relates to it, and nothing I said implied that mechanics are the only thing which contribute to a game's atmosphere.

I was using it as shorthand for meaningless positive reinforcement for players to continue, like adding bells and whistles. I probably could have used a different term?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

silvergoose posted:

What is the theme of Go? Autism simulator?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

esquilax posted:

shorthand

Theirs your problem never use shorthand arround goons.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
They hate it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

If you aren't basing your strategy almost entirely on your opponent's moves, you aren't playing dominion correctly

I'm not good at Dominion, but do you have an example of how you'd alter your strategy based on what other people are doing, besides the obvious "Buy Moats/defense cards if people are buying attack cards"?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not good at Dominion, but do you have an example of how you'd alter your strategy based on what other people are doing, besides the obvious "Buy Moats/defense cards if people are buying attack cards"?
Let's take the classic strategy Big Money (buying just Silver, Gold, and Provinces). It's a baseline speed strat, with very little in the way of attack or defense. If your opponent is playing Big Money, then you know you need to be faster than Big Money, or you need to significantly slow down Big Money. Any card that can't help you do one of those things is a worthless buy.

Edit A good example counter-buy in that situation would be Thief, while a bad purchase would be Feast.

Edit2 VVVV And that.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 4, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GrandpaPants posted:

This biggest decision is deciding whether to go for provinces, or to three-pile the game out early. Making that decision correctly requires judging how fast your opponent's deck will be once it's running, and how long it's going to take them to get to that point, and comparing that against your own options.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
If it was a "multiplayer solitare" the best strategy would be playing the combo deck that buys up everything on one turn. In reality that's only the best strategy when your opponents are doing the same thing but less efficiently than you

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

drat it board games thread, now I'm missing Isotropic again, despite the fact that I stopped playing on it before Dark Ages/Guilds came out.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

To give an example from this weekend, I was playing a game with Intrigue. From the random Kingdom, there were Harem, Saboteur, Torturer, Tribute, Trading Post, Mining Village, Scout, Mascarade, Great Hall and Swindler.

From the beginning, I saw that people weren't picking up the Saboteur, but did pick up the Torturer, so I used Mascarade and Trading Post to thin my deck, and rid it of curses. If my opponents were watching what I was doing, they probably would have picked up Mascarade to use against me, as I frequently had hands full of Provinces, Harems, and Gold.

EDIT:

Jabor posted:

This biggest decision is deciding whether to go for provinces, or to three-pile the game out early. Making that decision correctly requires judging how fast your opponent's deck will be once it's running, and how long it's going to take them to get to that point, and comparing that against your own options.
This was also a concern because there weren't any extra buys to rush 3 piles, but if I were to keep losing money from the attack cards, the game might have been forced down that route.

unpronounceable fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 4, 2015

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Does anyone have any thoughts on Warmachine High Command? FWIW, I enjoy playing Star Realms and Core Worlds so my opinions on games may not be totally in line with the majority of the thread.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

unpronounceable posted:

To give an example from this weekend, I was playing a game with Intrigue. From the random Kingdom, there were Harem, Saboteur, Torturer, Tribute, Trading Post, Mining Village, Scout, Mascarade, Great Hall and Swindler.

From the beginning, I saw that people weren't picking up the Saboteur, but did pick up the Torturer, so I used Mascarade and Trading Post to thin my deck, and rid it of curses. If my opponents were watching what I was doing, they probably would have picked up Mascarade to use against me, as I frequently had hands full of Provinces, Harems, and Gold.

Just in general your opponents made a mistake not picking up masquerade, it's one of the best actions in the game on just about any board.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Elyv posted:

Just in general your opponents made a mistake not picking up masquerade, it's one of the best actions in the game on just about any board.

Also isn't it the linchpin in some awesome 4 card deck hate combo?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Also isn't it the linchpin in some awesome 4 card deck hate combo?

Yes, you can trash your opponent's entire draw every turn by reducing your deck down to village/king's court, king's court, militia/goons/ghost ship, masquerade, but that's not really the point that I'm after. The card is just very good on its own.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Multiplayer Dominion creates a lot of choices based on pile splits. I don't want to be the third player going for Minions, so I build a hunting party deck instead. I only need a few Fishing Villages, but they are being bought by other players so maybe I get some on my $4 and even $5 turns. In a Fools Gold game, I might grab one or two to deny them to my foes and convert to real gold at the first opportunity.

Elyv posted:

I feel like Swindlers + money, maybe even opening two Swindlers, is devastating there thanks to scout and great hall. Masquerade + silver into mining village/torturer is also pretty good of course though you might not get the village consistency you want (multiplayer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rchandra posted:

Multiplayer Dominion creates a lot of choices based on pile splits. I don't want to be the third player going for Minions, so I build a hunting party deck instead. I only need a few Fishing Villages, but they are being bought by other players so maybe I get some on my $4 and even $5 turns. In a Fools Gold game, I might grab one or two to deny them to my foes and convert to real gold at the first opportunity.

I feel like Swindlers + money, maybe even opening two Swindlers, is devastating there thanks to scout and great hall. Masquerade + silver into mining village/torturer is also pretty good of course though you might not get the village consistency you want (multiplayer).

Right, multiplayer. :downs: I think I'd still open Masquerade/Silver and if I couldn't get a real torturer/village engine going(and probably even if I could), buy a second and maybe even a third Masquerade.