Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

If you're an android person like me, I recommend the tab s 10.5. It's the best gameboy I've ever had, and is great for browsing bullshit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
I'm considering picking up a tablet, mostly because they are much more portable than my bulky laptop. I wouldn't be using it for anything more than Twitter, Twitch, and Netflix, with occassionaly browsing and email writing. Suggestions?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I guess I'm looking for something 10in-ish that I can use when I go back to school at the end of the year. Just something for Internet/Word with Netflix and HBO thrown in. I would, oddly, really love to play Morrowind on this thing as well. Any sold recommendations? Price would probably max out around 500.

I had an iPad Air 1 but I'm just honestly totally over it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You're going to want a gaming laptop. I'm not sure if there are any at the 500 price point.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Think so? Think even basic, unmodded Morrowind would cripple a tablet? Hmmm

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

omg chael crash posted:

Oh the old one. I thought you were talking about the newest Elder Scrolls game.

Anyway, you'll want a Windows tablet. They're all poo poo plus you'll need a keyboard and mouse anyway. Also it will be running Win8 so I have no idea how an old game like that will perform.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

omg chael crash posted:

Don't listen to him. I've played Morrowind on Acer Aspire Switch 10 that has an Intel Bay Trail Z3735F processor (2M Cache, base 1.33 GHz, burst up to 1.83 GHz) and 2 GB of RAM. It's going to get hot and probably going to drain your battery but it's more than possible.

$500 could get you an Asus Transformer T200.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

omg chael crash posted:

How could you possibly play Morrowind with just on screen touch controls?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

How could you possibly play Morrowind with just on screen touch controls?

You can't but if you have a tablet with a detachable keyboard dock, you can add a mouse.

(I remember reading about some program that can add user customized on screen controls but I can't imagine that working well at all)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 4, 2015

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

I'm looking into getting a tablet for uni, never bought one before so I'm after this threads advice since I have no clue when it comes to portable tech.

I would be using it primarily for reading pdfs and web browsing, good video streaming and other features are a bonus but are ultimately not necessary. Since I'm a student cheaper would be better but I can manage ~500 NZD give or take, so say up to 400USD.

edit; http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=1594 this website should give some rough reference for pricing in NZ

Trompe le Monde fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 4, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like an iPad mini 2 is at the top of your price range. The only other thing I'd recommend there is a 2nd generation Nexus 7, but not for nearly $400. If you can find an eBay seller who will ship to NZ, you can get one for like USD150 or so all day.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I'm an engineer that's trying to move away from the billions of printed sheets I go through right now. Part of that involves being able to mark up drawings that are either 11x17 native size or still legible when scaled down to that size.

Obviously I can't get a tablet that size, but I'd like a reasonably large size to minimize scrolling, plus a stylus. I'm going to leave it at work just for this, do I'd prefer not to spend a ridiculous amount of money.

The other thing I'm considering is a wacom on my normal computer, but it feels kind of unnatural

Any thoughts?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only tablets with a good stylus are the Samsung Galaxy Note line and the Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I'd go for the SP3, myself, and even the i3 model should do what you want from it.

Maybe see if you can get a used Wacom and see how that works first?

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Looks like an iPad mini 2 is at the top of your price range. The only other thing I'd recommend there is a 2nd generation Nexus 7, but not for nearly $400. If you can find an eBay seller who will ship to NZ, you can get one for like USD150 or so all day.

Thanks for the recommendation, I can get a slight education discount on the ipad mini 2 so I guess I'll go for that.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

What's the cheapest tablet with HDMI out? Specs shouldn't matter, I just wanna hook it up to a tv to display my google calendar.

edit: or just any way to get video out

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 8, 2015

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Pertplus posted:

What's the cheapest tablet with HDMI out? Specs shouldn't matter, I just wanna hook it up to a tv to display my google calendar.

edit: or just any way to get video out

The Microcenter Windows tablet has mini-HDMI out (as well as Miracast if you've got it) and is $99. You'll need to use the web interface or a third party app to get Google calendar support, though; a Google/Microsoft slap fight means that the stock Win8.1 calendar app is locked out. On the plus side, though, it's a full x86 computer running Windows for a hundred bucks straight up.

If you want Android and don't actually need a tablet, you could also use an Android stick.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
My note 3 broke last night, and I am thinking of just replacing it with a tablet. I only used the phone via blue tooth anyway. Is there a tablet any size that supports voice calling out of the box? Ideally i would like to just pop my current sim car in a tablet and call it a day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think there's any that made it to the US, but I recall there being some Samsung that did that.

Maybe compromise with a Nexus 6?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
How is Skype over cellular? It works relatively fine on my school's lovely wireless for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's going to depend pretty heavily on your cellular connection, but given that LTE can be faster than a lot of home connections, it would probably be fine.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
I am reading on XDA that the Shield Tablet supports voice calls but it is software restricted at this time. In the few days some one gets that rocking or at least close I am picking one of them up.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I am looking for something to read, browse (poo poo post) and maybe play some games.

I don't really want to spend a lot of money (max 250€) so I think I've narrowed it down to Asus MeMo Pad 7 ME572C or the Acer Iconia Tab 8 A1-840FHD.

Now I gathered the Asus is informally hailed as the Nexus 7 successor but can you tell me anything about the Acer?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My dad wants an e-ink ebook reaker (e.g.: a Kindle) since he's tired of reading stuff on his iPad.

Is there a clearly superior one in the market or do I need to start comparing reviews?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The Kindle Paperwhite is pretty much the best you can get.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/22/7434175/best-e-reader-you-can-buy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Kindle Paperwhite is fantastic. The Voyage is even better, but probably not worth the price jump over the Paperwhite.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
That's what I figured. Thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Been considering a Galaxy Tab, is this $200 ebay deal of the day a pretty sweet deal for a 4?

Super Mario Shoeshine
Jan 24, 2005

such improper posting...
Well...It seems the ol Galaxy Note 8 needs a replacement. Are the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 or any of the Galaxy Tabs a good alternative? Keep in mind i really like crisps resolutions and good memory management.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Medullah posted:

Been considering a Galaxy Tab, is this $200 ebay deal of the day a pretty sweet deal for a 4?

RVProfootballer posted:

The Galaxy Tab line (no Pro, no S, no Note) is the budget line, I wouldn't recommend any of them. They're not the best budget tablets and they're definitely not the best tablets if you want to spend $400-500.

RVProfootballer posted:

The budget line is the "Galaxy Tab" line, like Galaxy Tab 4 10.1, Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, etc. Then the current high end line is Galaxy Tab S, with several sizes. In the past, the Galaxy Tab Pro line and Galaxy Note line have been their high end tablet. But anything that is just "Galaxy Tab [numbers]" is bad: 1024x600 display on the 7", 1280x800 display on the 10.1", slow and bad.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That doesn't really answer if it's bad for that price, just at retail.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GoodBee posted:

That doesn't really answer if it's bad for that price, just at retail.

Try reading those posts again!

RVProfootballer posted:

The Galaxy Tab line (no Pro, no S, no Note) is the budget line, I wouldn't recommend any of them [editor's note: "I wouldn't recommend any of them", not "I wouldn't recommend any of them at retail price"]. They're not the best budget tablets and they're definitely not the best tablets if you want to spend $400-500.

RVProfootballer posted:

The budget line is the "Galaxy Tab" line, like Galaxy Tab 4 10.1, Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, etc. Then the current high end line is Galaxy Tab S, with several sizes. In the past, the Galaxy Tab Pro line and Galaxy Note line have been their high end tablet. But anything that is just "Galaxy Tab [numbers]" is bad [editor's note: just bad, not "bad for the price"]: 1024x600 display on the 7", 1280x800 display on the 10.1", slow and bad.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 12, 2015

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Try reading those posts again!

I read and comprehend. I'm not trying to argue that $200 is a good price but what's a better 10" tablet for a similar price? What's a better, smaller tablet for a similar price? I don't know what he prioritizes in a tablet.

The Galaxy Tab is worth something. I'm not shopping for a tablet but I'd probably buy one if it was $50.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
My mum's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 broke recently and I'm looking to get her a replacement. I'd just give her my old nexus 7, but she seems to prefer a bigger screen. iPads seemed to be the best option for that a while ago. Is that still the case or are there any alternatives I should take a look at?

I think anything would be a step up though. I used the Galaxy Tab a couple of times and oh man it was not fun to use.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bryter posted:

My mum's Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 broke recently and I'm looking to get her a replacement. I'd just give her my old nexus 7, but she seems to prefer a bigger screen. iPads seemed to be the best option for that a while ago. Is that still the case or are there any alternatives I should take a look at?

I think anything would be a step up though. I used the Galaxy Tab a couple of times and oh man it was not fun to use.

iPads. Check apple for refurb pricings.

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
My dad would like something to read SD cards from his deer camera. He was considering picking up a cheap digital camera, but I suggested the HP Stream 7 ($79 at Microsoft Store). However, he is not too keen on using an OTG SD card reader (which I think the Stream can use?) or carrying extra accessories.

Are there any tablets out now with SD card slots? If not, any recommendations for a cheap tablet to view pictures/video and recommendation for a reliable OTG SD card reader? He's not tied to Android or Windows and would consider either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Stream 7 has an SD card slot. I'm not sure it'll do what he wants, though, since 1 GB of RAM is *really* limiting.

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
I would normally agree on the 1GB RAM, but he will not be using it for anything more taxing; he doesn't play games or use apps now and I don't see that changing.

The HP Stream has microSD (and micro-B USB 2.0), but he wants to use SD, preferably without an adapter. The deer camera only takes SD and he's having enough trouble fumbling around with those in the woods without adding microSD and microSD to SD adapters into the equation.

I'm not even sure what he wants is currently available on the market. If it is not, anyone have experience with the HP Stream?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

harmless_fun posted:

I would normally agree on the 1GB RAM, but he will not be using it for anything more taxing; he doesn't play games or use apps now and I don't see that changing.

The HP Stream has microSD (and micro-B USB 2.0), but he wants to use SD, preferably without an adapter. The deer camera only takes SD and he's having enough trouble fumbling around with those in the woods without adding microSD and microSD to SD adapters into the equation.

I'm not even sure what he wants is currently available on the market. If it is not, anyone have experience with the HP Stream?

Aren't there just simple SD shells/adapters that the microSD slides into? Seems like a really simple and cheap solution.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

The Stream 7 has an SD card slot. I'm not sure it'll do what he wants, though, since 1 GB of RAM is *really* limiting.

While it does have an SD slot getting the back off is an incredible pain in the rear end. After doing it once you never want to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Try a battery powered photo frame if such a thing exists.