Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Hey shut-ins, get out and march!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

So commit suicide Tony Abbott, you know.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gough Suppressant posted:

What are the odds of him going to jail for longer than an indigenous teenager who steals his third mars bar from a Darwin corner store

WELL...

quote:

The commission has just heard that Dr Paterson was more interested in finding out if then music teacher Barrie Stewart was a homosexual than asking him if he had molested a child.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Lid posted:

WELL...

hosed up if true and we know it's true

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birb Katter posted:

hosed up if true and we know it's true

Dr Paterson was the one who said it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gough Suppressant posted:

What are the odds of him going to jail for longer than an indigenous teenager who steals his third mars bar from a Darwin corner store

I know this a reference to mandatory sentencing in the NT, but can you remind of the story of that kid?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I know this a reference to mandatory sentencing in the NT, but can you remind of the story of that kid?

To my knowledge it is not a reference to any one specific case

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
There was recently a case where a young indigenous man spent the weekend in jail, and afterwards, nobody could work out why.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mithranderp posted:

There was recently a case where a young indigenous man spent the weekend in jail, and afterwards, nobody could work out why.

hosed up if true

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

hosed up if true

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-16/man-considers-legal-action-after-spending-weekend-in-jail/6119998

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

Here's the obvious, succinct and comprehensive answer: because he was indigenous

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

cpaf posted:

Here's the obvious, succinct and comprehensive answer: because he was indigenous

Yep.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

When does the Royal Commission into covering up Child abuse get around to investigating DIBP?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I take back what I'd said about This Changes Everything being the most depressing thing I'd ever read. I'm going to put down current news articles and go back to that book.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Joe Hockey on the national accounts figures.

This is the strongest outcome for household consumption in three years. Household savings continued to drift down from higher levels as consumers become more confident. Housing investment rose by 2.5% in the quarter to be a remarkable 1% higher than it was a year ago.

kill yourself

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

quote:

When a court security guard started to open the door leading to the court cell, Magistrate Woodcock intervened.

"I should think he should be walking out of court now," Magistrate Woodcock said.

Mr Fejo was ushered out of the dock and paused briefly in the public area of the courtroom before leaving through the door used by the general public.

the NT is amazing/terrifying

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Palmer.

:suspense:

EDIT: I know what the next thread title will be.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Sydney news: 2Day FM may have to be taken off the air over the Royal Prank a few years back.

And there was much rejoicing.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
To "commit political suicide", or an act/decision being considered "political suicide" is pretty common parlance. In the context of what Palmer was saying, it's pretty drat clear this is what he meant.

But of course the media will have a field day with it because it'll generate far more hits/reads than boring poo poo like data retention, the TPP, our Iraq deployments, actually being governed, etc, and it'll be helped along by armchair internet lefties looking for their next moral outrage crusade that requires no actual thought on their behalf, just being angry because Palmer said a bad word.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Palmer was just endorsing euthanasia.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Mattjpwns posted:

To "commit political suicide", or an act/decision being considered "political suicide" is pretty common parlance. In the context of what Palmer was saying, it's pretty drat clear this is what he meant.

But of course the media will have a field day with it because it'll generate far more hits/reads than boring poo poo like data retention, the TPP, our Iraq deployments, actually being governed, etc, and it'll be helped along by armchair internet lefties looking for their next moral outrage crusade that requires no actual thought on their behalf, just being angry because Palmer said a bad word.

Lets not do this. If this was Abbott or Morrison saying this we would never ever try to make it a media blow up and instead it would be used to re-enforce the views we already have of them being stupid and callous and even if context was given we wouldn't be an apologist no more than "poo poo happens".

Don'0t bend the rules because its not your enemy in the limelight and always, always look at a situation as if your most reviled politician said it and see if that at all changes your reaction.

What Clive said was loving dumb and will haunt him and it will be blared louder because of the media make up but at no point should we then flip it to be tjat he, an elected MP of federal office, is a victim.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Lid posted:

Lets not do this. If this was Abbott or Morrison saying this we would never ever try to make it a media blow up and instead it would be used to re-enforce the views we already have of them being stupid and callous and even if context was given we wouldn't be an apologist no more than "poo poo happens".

Don'0t bend the rules because its not your enemy in the limelight and always, always look at a situation as if your most reviled politician said it and see if that at all changes your reaction.

What Clive said was loving dumb and will haunt him and it will be blared louder because of the media make up but at no point should we then flip it to be tjat he, an elected MP of federal office, is a victim.

Oh get hosed. I've routinely stood up and said "yeah, this is overblown as poo poo" regardless of the side of politics. If you can't manage that, that's fine. He misstepped by not including "political" before suicide, but this is a total loving beatup - it pisses me off all the more as someone who does suffer from chronic depression, because I've already seen people out and about going "but suicide is are sers thingggg!!11". No poo poo. But how about tackling the actual causes, of which this is not one.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Mattjpwns posted:

Oh get hosed. I've routinely stood up and said "yeah, this is overblown as poo poo" regardless of the side of politics. If you can't manage that, that's fine. He misstepped by not including "political" before suicide, but this is a total loving beatup.

I don't believe you.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It wasn't a misstep, he knew what he was saying.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Birdstrike posted:

Hey shut-ins, get out and march!

It was good.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
This one's back in the news again:

Margaret Cunneen: High Court to rule whether ICAC can investigate NSW prosecutor

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-04/high-court-ruling-icac-investigation-margaret-cunneen/6278452

quote:

The High Court is to rule whether NSW's anti-corruption commission has the power to investigate allegations prosecutor Margaret Cunneen tried to pervert the course of justice.
ICAC believes its powers, current inquiries and many past findings are under threat after Ms Cunneen successfully blocked its plans to investigate the claims.
Ms Cunneen has been accused of advising her son's girlfriend to feign chest pains to avoid a breath test after a car accident in May last year.
Ms Cunneen has denied the claims and said ICAC did not have the jurisdiction to investigate such allegations.

The NSW Court of Appeal agreed, prompting today's hearing in the High Court.
Submissions by ICAC lawyers to the court claim the case has the potential to seriously curtail its work.
ICAC said reports on current high-profile inquires into the Obeid-related Australian Water Holdings and NSW Liberal Party had been deferred until the case was resolved.
The submissions to the High Court also suggest 26 past findings of corruption by ICAC may now be in doubt.

"The Commission is charged with an important role in promoting the integrity and accountability of public administration in New South Wales," ICAC's submission read.
"It is of public importance for this court to resolve authoritatively which of the divergent views expressed below, as to the scope of that important role, is correct."

But lawyers for Ms Cunneen disagreed there would be wider implications.
They have quoted the purpose set out in the Act, for the Commission to direct its attention to serious or systemic corruption.
"The interpretation contended for by the applicant goes far beyond the concept of corruption contemplated by the objects of the Act," Ms Cunneen's lawyers said in their submission.
"There is no allegation that the first respondent [Ms Cunneen] misused her public office .... or that she attempted to exercise her public functions to influence any person at the scene of the accident.
"There is simply nothing in the allegations that demonstrates the adverse affectation required to enable ICAC to take jurisdiction."

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Profile: NSW Opposition Leader Luke Foley on the challenge of being unknown

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

Glad to see some ribald discussion from yesterday. Tonight I will follow up with a sequel about what is likely to happen during and after a "bubble bursting".

The Sunk Cost Fallacy figures large in several ways about home ownership:

- Mortgage payments cheaper than rent, for example (and I know someone in that position in a capital city but it's a rabbit hutch really)

- the concept of rent as "dead money" (sure I'll just get in my time machine and make a better decision next time!), and of course

- "I can't stop/can't move because I've paid so much off"

So it's not purely the emotive term of ownership, it's the fallacy of defining value on the basis that you define value, and as people are saying, there's no security to base that fallacy on any more, but it still applies because people are nuts about houses.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thanks for all the great housing chat thread, great to read. Especially to Les Affaires for the effortposts.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Truly he has turned this thread around.

BloatedCorpse
May 11, 2005
Downstairs

SynthOrange posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUU AUSTRALIAAAAAAA

Police investigate Save the Children whistleblowers over Nauru abuse report
Exclusive: Immigration department asks AFP to investigate submission to Human Rights Commission detailing sexual and physical abuse of children

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/04/police-investigate-save-the-children-whistleblowers-over-nauru-abuse-report

Isn't Nauru outside of the AFP's jurisdiction?

MaxwellsEquations
Oct 21, 2010

He achieved greatness unequalled
-Max Planck
Sussan Ley used the term "supreme fail" in QT.

Also, Ley asked to be allowed to continue listing ALP failures in health in response to a question about bulk billing. By 'continue listing', I am referring to a previous question where Ley just went on and on about labor waste in health, to the point where Bishop told her to sit down.

Bishop allowed Ley to go on...

gently caress me dead, Bishop is terrible

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Real estate agents bewildered by forced sale of $39m Sydney mansion

The forced sale of a $39 million Sydney mansion has left local real estate agents bewildered and prompted concerns about how it will impact the market.

On Tuesday, a Hong Kong-owned business was ordered to sell Villa del Mare within 90 days, five months after it was purchased.

One real estate agent told the ABC that 50 per cent of homes with a harbour view worth over $5 million are now purchased by people of Chinese descent and it is difficult to know if they are Australian citizens or foreign investors.

The palatial mansion on Wolseley Road in Point Piper has sweeping views of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, and was sold by recruitment entrepreneur Julia Ross to a company called Golden Fast Foods.

But the sale was deemed illegal because Golden Fast Foods is controlled by Hong Kong Property billionaire Hui Ka Yan.

The co-agent for the sale, Bill Malouf from LJ Hooker Double Bay, said the intervention of the Federal Government yesterday left him bewildered.

"We asked [the purchaser] if this was subject to a foreign investment review board ruling but were told it was to be purchased under an Australian company structure," he said.

"We have had no calls from Treasury questioning the sale.

"There were two lawyers involved and a major accountancy firm."

Mr Malouf said he and his co-agent were yet to speak to the purchaser about how he planned to meet the 90-day deadline to sell the property or risk having it repossessed by the Commonwealth Department of Public Prosecutions.

"Putting 90 days on a top-end sale is a bit ridiculous," Mr Malouf said.

"Sometimes it can take 12 or 18 months to sell. It depends who is looking at that level."

Mr Malouf said he did not believe that foreign nationals are playing a role in inflating prices for prime real estate.

"There have been more sales to local Australian buyers. They do not over bid," he said.

"We are now getting a lot of interest from expats because the Australian dollar has dropped."

Another real estate agent, Steven Zoellner of Laing and Simmons Double Bay, had a different view.

"[For] every house worth over $5 million with a view - one in two buyers are Chinese," Mr Zoellner said.

"It is hard to know who is actually an overseas buyer. You only find out if they need to get FIRB (Foreign Investment Review Board) approval.

"The sales we have made have are, as far as we know, to Australian residents."

Mr Zoellner said the surge in interest from Chinese investors had come over the past two years and contributed to a "very slight" increase in eastern suburb property prices.

However Mr Zoelner said low interest rates are the main driver of burgeoning residential property prices.

"Properties below $1.5 million are the most popular and have had the biggest price increases," he said.

Treasurer Joe Hockey told Parliament yesterday that the Government was "very serious about integrity in our foreign investment system".

Mr Hockey and Prime Minister Tony Abbott last week announced a raft of changes to laws that govern the ability of foreign buyers, temporary residents and non-residents, to purchase Australian residential property.

Unveiling the key contents of a consultation paper, Mr Hockey said the proposed measures were designed to restore confidence in a foreign investment review system that had not prosecuted anyone for breaching the rules since 2006.

Mr Hockey made the Villa del Mare order before Question Time on Tuesday after receiving advice from the government solicitor.

"We welcome foreign investment. It is hugely important," Mr Hockey said.

"But it is vitally important that every Australian knows that the rules relating to foreign investment are going to be enforced."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-04/agents-bewildered-by-forced-sale-of-39m-sydney-mansion/6279270

Anyone wanna kick in a few dollars for the Auspol Mansion?

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 4, 2015

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

So long as the rent isn't more than $400 a week.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Les Affaires posted:

Awesome posts

Thank you so much for this. Have you thought of turning it into a post that we could turn our friends/relatives/etc to? It's a great primer into this topic.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

MaxwellsEquations posted:

Sussan Ley used the term "supreme fail" in QT.

Also, Ley asked to be allowed to continue listing ALP failures in health in response to a question about bulk billing. By 'continue listing', I am referring to a previous question where Ley just went on and on about labor waste in health, to the point where Bishop told her to sit down.

Bishop allowed Ley to go on...

gently caress me dead, Bishop is terrible

Peter Slipper was too good for this parliament. What a speaker. I doubt (unlike say Albo) I'd enjoy sharing a beer or even talking to him but he took the office seriously in all the right ways and a couple of unnecessarily ceremonial but hilarious ones.

But he got knifed. And now he's exonerated but of course he was always going to be, it was an obvious stitch up at the time. Not that his electorate seemed to notice. Mal loving Brough of all people sitting there now and their patsy James Ashby hung out to dry.

gently caress this fascist fetish earth

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 5, 2015

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

So I'm thinking, poorly thought through attempt at creating some good news? Either that or Hockey had a stroke. Having seen his performance taking press questions today I'd call it 60/40.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
impotent rage double post

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Just as a quick aside from housing chat, which shouldn't stop as its fascinating, the greens are even advertising through grindr now

Sorta NWS http://i.imgur.com/lsGwKhL.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

hawaiian_robot posted:

Thank you so much for this. Have you thought of turning it into a post that we could turn our friends/relatives/etc to? It's a great primer into this topic.

It just so happens I have the whole thing saved in a word document at home. I can tidy it up, and add some extra bits.

I need some feedback from Auspol though. What would be the best form that something detailed like that would take shape as?

• Locked thread