Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Strange Matter posted:

This G50-80 is new, not refurbed, has a 15.6" screen,

You say that like a 15.6" screen is a positive. I'd say it is a string negative especially at 1366*768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojoJak
Jul 20, 2007

Dominoes posted:

My Sager 8651 arrived : It's really loud.

It looks and feels well-made, and is about half the thickness of the ASUS ROG laptop from 4 years ago it replaced. I expected the fans to be loud during CPU/vid intensive things, but the idle noise is unpleasantly high as well.

No other complaints.

I was looking at this model. Any other impressions now that you've had it for a few days?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dissss posted:

You say that like a 15.6" screen is a positive. I'd say it is a string negative especially at 1366*768

Christ, 15 inches at 1336*768? That's horrifying.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Part of this is probably because I haven't touched a new laptop in years, but the gen 2 X1 Carbon arrived today, and drat is this thing nice. Keyboard is amazing for the size, and the screen is leaps and bounds better than what I used to have (T60). May get a little annoyed by the shortened backspace key though, didn't realize my finger goes out to the lateral side of the backspace key instinctively, and I've been tending to hit the oddly placed delete key a fair bit.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Though my GE72 was going to show up tonight.

Guess not.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TopherCStone posted:

Thinkpads are objectively beautiful. There's a reason that Steve Jobs wanted to hire Richard Sapper but had to settle for Jony Ive since IBM had already scooped up Sapper.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Thinkpads are utilitarian as gently caress, and until recently were bulky as well. I personally like the design, that said.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

Guess not.

Those are nice. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, whenever it does show up.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Everyone's loving spoiled these days. I spent 7 years with a 1280x800 resolution on a 15.6" screen. And I liked it :corsair:

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
XPS13 arrived today. Was the cheapest model offered. Shipping didn't take nearly as long as they suggested. Kind of weighty given how big it looks. But still compact and perhaps elegant, even.

Biggest downsides so far: track pad button is super loud, compared to every other laptop I've used before. And oddly, there is a few millisecond delay between when your finger starts to slide along the trackpad and when the cursor designs to start moving. Not sure where that stems from. Even more noticeable when two-finger scrolling. It just takes a brief moment before it starts moving. I guess Apple still reigns supreme in this regard. It only happens when your finger first contacts the trackpad, though. So if you keep your finger on the trackpad from then on, the cursor will immediately respond to finger movement without issue.

Chiclet keyboard isn't as good as chiclet keyboards on Thinkpads, either. A bit mushy but positive enough. I kind of wish they stuck up a bit higher, but then I'd have a thicker laptop I suppose.

Screen is insane...

All in all, very happy with the purchase so far, but I guess that's almost expected for new gadgets.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 4, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

There is probably some palm rejection setting hidden in the track pad control panel somewhere which will help with the delay.

Might also be something in the Metro settings app so look there too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

Guess not.

Email them, you'll probably get some money back.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...0e48e7cc19den02

Anyone have any experience with one of these? The specs look good for the price to me but then again I'm dumb so eh?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Strange Matter posted:

T440 for $500

Seriously considering this, although the issue I'm coming across is, do I really need it? I don't move my laptop around too much, so it doesn't need to be NASA rated. This G50-80 is new, not refurbed, has a 15.6" screen, a better Graphics card and more RAM in exchange for a slower hard drive. I'm kind of torn between which one is technically better vs which one is more suited to my needs.

That T440 is the exact same model I grabbed 2 weeks ago for 492, albeit with a 1600x900 screen. I'm pretty darn happy with it, and as someone that came from an 8 year old laptop with an extraordinarily lovely trackpad, I'm perfectly happy with the one this model has. Be aware though, that if you're used to a better trackpad from other Lenovo models (someone in here probably will be able to explain in better detail than me), it would be a pretty big adjustment.

Other than that, definitely look for a screen better than 1366x768.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Aphrodite posted:

Email them, you'll probably get some money back.

Oh I've emailed them, and chatted them, and shamed them on facebook, and called them. Their excuses were:

1. We told UPS to ship it via air, they shipped it via ground. (this was before UPS even picked it up)
2. Laptops have lithium batteries which are considered HAZMAT and can't be sent via air. (This is false, spare batteries can't be sent via air, installed batteries are fine.)
3. The package was damaged and had to be returned causing a delay (According to UPS it was never damaged and never returned)
4. There was a "delay in transit with UPS" (Shipping label shows standard ground and is on time for a standard ground delivery)

The result: I get to wait 6 days longer than planned. But hey, I got my $9 shipping charge back! :toot:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Everyone's loving spoiled these days. I spent 7 years with a 1280x800 resolution on a 15.6" screen. And I liked it :corsair:

My first laptop in 2004 had a beautiful matte 1920x1200 15.4in display. It also had a pentium-m (which was hot poo poo back then) so you couldn't actually play full HD video without it stuttering, but it was still sweet.

I think every laptop I've had since that one has had a progressively worse screen, which is why I'm glad you can finally get decent displays these days.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SouthLAnd posted:

My first laptop in 2004 had a beautiful matte 1920x1200 15.4in display.

I was also thinking this, and too have a Dell Latitude D800 that still works around here. Good screens aren't new, but somewhere along the way, poo poo screens became the default until now, when it's picking up again. Although you can still get 1366x768 15", so we're not finished yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SouthLAnd posted:

My first laptop in 2004 had a beautiful matte 1920x1200 15.4in display. It also had a pentium-m (which was hot poo poo back then) so you couldn't actually play full HD video without it stuttering, but it was still sweet.

Ah, the Pentium M. Saved Intel's arse, that little thing.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
So my ASUS u52f appears to have bricked. Yay! Not really surprising given that I've put, conservatively, over 15,000 hours into it.

Anyway, so I'm in the market for a replacement. I highly value reliability since like I said I use and abuse these things, day-in day-out. Want a good screen but it doesn't need to be phenomenal or anything, I won't be watching movies or editing video or anything. Could give a gently caress about sound. Mostly I just want a lot of storage space for media and the ability to browse twenty webpages while chatting on four different programs at once cuz I'm ADD as hell. So yeah. Don't need a beast here.

Recommendations?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

MikeJF posted:

See this doesn't bother me in the least because my current laptop is that exact same size and resolution, so everyone saying that 1336*768 on a 15.6" screen is some kind of affront to nature just sounds petty to me, because I honestly don't know any better.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Strange Matter posted:

See this doesn't bother me in the least because my current laptop is that exact same size and resolution, so everyone saying that 1336*768 on a 15.6" screen is some kind of affront to nature just sounds petty to me, because I honestly don't know any better.

We moved past 768 vertical pixels in the early 90s. Suddenly sometime after 2000, it came back. Please don't defend poo poo monitors just because you don't care.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can get a 1080p G80 for $530 right now. 8gb ram, Broadwell CPU.

The hard drive is upgradeable in the future. Don't worry about HDD/SSD/RPM stuff right now when you're trying to fit a budget. They're easy to change. Screens are technically replaceable but you probably don't want to.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Strange Matter posted:

You can do the laundry manually if you don't know any better. You can calculate projectile trajectories with a pencil and paper if you don't know any better. You can move to a new place on a bicycle if you don't know any better.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Truga posted:

We moved past 768 vertical pixels in the early 90s. Suddenly sometime after 2000, it came back. Please don't defend poo poo monitors just because you don't care.

What? In the late 90's you'd see websites saying they were optimized for 1024x768 and people getting mad about them being too wide for their 800x600 screens.

Edit: I found a picture of Truga in the early 90's:

sarehu fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 4, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sarehu posted:

What? In the late 90's you'd see websites saying they were optimized for 1024x768 and people getting mad about them being too wide for their 800x600 screens.

Back then you could choose between dithered 256 color 1024x768 or 16-bit 800x600. Unless you had a 2MB video card and then you could do 16-bit 1024x768. And then you just had to deal with the monitor being interlaced or .39 dot pitch on a 14" curved as poo poo CRT, unless you had $800 for a nice 17" Trinitron...

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Aphrodite posted:

Holy smokes, did that just get put on the site? I swear I didn't see that yesterday.

Yeah probably going to go with that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

Holy smokes, did that just get put on the site? I swear I didn't see that yesterday.

Yeah probably going to go with that.

Looks like the sale just started, yeah.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Aphrodite posted:

The hard drive is upgradeable in the future. Don't worry about HDD/SSD/RPM stuff right now when you're trying to fit a budget. They're easy to change. Screens are technically replaceable but you probably don't want to.

Oh hey jumped on this. Perfect.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Criminal Minded posted:

Oh hey jumped on this. Perfect.
Same here. Real excited about this. $510 on Barnes and Noble.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

Strange Matter posted:

Same here. Real excited about this. $510 on Barnes and Noble.

Thanks for reminding me about the B&N Gold thing in the OP!

I jumped on the deal too. Really hope the 1080p part isn't a typo because that's a pretty drat fine package for the price. I'm going to wait a few days and then order another 850 EVO from Amazon to replace the HDD inside. I doubt there's room for both of the drives in there, but we'll see when it gets here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does the B&N link give you any discount on Lenovo's outlet or just new stuff?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Just new stuff, the outlet is already criminally low.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

republic posted:

Thanks for reminding me about the B&N Gold thing in the OP!

I jumped on the deal too. Really hope the 1080p part isn't a typo because that's a pretty drat fine package for the price. I'm going to wait a few days and then order another 850 EVO from Amazon to replace the HDD inside. I doubt there's room for both of the drives in there, but we'll see when it gets here.

Yeah, it's one bay. Here's the service manual: http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g_z_50_series_hmm.pdf

Page 37 has the pictures for the HDD.

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, it's one bay. Here's the service manual: http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g_z_50_series_hmm.pdf

Page 37 has the pictures for the HDD.

Thanks! I figured as much. For my use case I don't foresee needing much storage beyond what an SSD can provide anyway. 2 questions:

a) Are Samsung 850 EVO's still the way to go? It looks like the Intel 730 is pretty well rated though as well.
b) I'm planning on doing a clean install of Win 8.1 on the laptop it when it arrives to wipe out factory bloatware (and :tinfoil: regarding Superfish). It's been some time since I've dealt with purchasing a pre-made system. With new laptop purchases does there tend to be a slip of paper in the packaging with the Windows key on it, or does one need to navigate into the Control Panel to jot it down before wiping it clean?

republic fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 5, 2015

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
For those who have used a Surface Pro 3, is it useful for engineering programs like Fluent, MATLAB, COMSOL? The specs certainly look good, I'm just wary that there's something I'm missing. Most reviews I see online seem to be from creative types, and people interested in the media part of it. I wonder if anybody is using this thing for coding.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

republic posted:

Thanks! I figured as much. For my use case I don't foresee needing much storage beyond what an SSD can provide anyway. 2 questions:

a) Are Samsung 850 EVO's still the way to go? It looks like the Intel 730 is pretty well rated though as well.
b) I'm planning on doing a clean install of Win 8.1 on the laptop it when it arrives to wipe out factory bloatware (and :tinfoil: regarding Superfish). It's been some time since I've dealt with purchasing a pre-made system. With new laptop purchases does there tend to be a slip of paper in the packaging with the Windows key on it, or does one need to navigate into the Control Panel to jot it down before wiping it clean?

Yeah, the Evo is still your best bet.

The key will either be on a sticker on the machine, or embedded in the BIOS and the install will pick it up from there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a dedicated thread for SSD; Intel or Samsung 850 are both top tier.

hey santa baby posted:

For those who have used a Surface Pro 3, is it useful for engineering programs like Fluent, MATLAB, COMSOL? The specs certainly look good, I'm just wary that there's something I'm missing. Most reviews I see online seem to be from creative types, and people interested in the media part of it. I wonder if anybody is using this thing for coding.

The processor in the SP3 is the ULV model which in today's world is pretty dang powerful but it's still the low energy model so it's only going to be ~60% as powerful as an i5 in a "full size laptop". If you're just doing homework assignments it should be ok but that might be too little CPU for serious "on the go" scientific research.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

A lot of 'full sized' laptops come with ULV processors now too so watch out for that.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
That's fine. More thermal envelope for a bigass dGPU.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

code:
1280x800 is objectively superior to 1366x768
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

blowfish posted:

code:
1280x800 is objectively superior to 1366x768
:goonsay:

Kinda is because some dialogs don't completely fit on the screen at 768