Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
WELP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Preechr posted:

There's an explanation on the leaks page.

...huh.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I just can't believe how badly DR hosed up the game. It's staggering.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Asimo posted:

Well, as noted, it's pretty inevitable. Cryptic made the biggest mistake they could possibly do: loving over the insane whales who dump thousands into their dumb game.

Well after everyone else got it, they were the only ones left.

It really is unbelievable how quickly the game has done a 180 turn to poo poo, it's kind of an achievement all unto itself.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
So how long before CBS notices and pulls the license?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So uh what other options are there in Space MMO town, assuming I don't want to fly a starfighter? Just EVE and Elite?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
SW:TOR, I guess.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Dootman posted:

SW:TOR, I guess.

Doesn't the spaceship portion just have starfighters for piloting?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
I don't know what the space portion is like yet since I'm only level 10. STO will literally be dead in a year, either because there's no one left playing it or CBS pulls the license. Gotta find something fill that space mmo fix, might as well do it with lightsabers.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Yeah, guess I dont have to worry about doing another anniversary grind.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Well after everyone else got it, they were the only ones left.

It really is unbelievable how quickly the game has done a 180 turn to poo poo, it's kind of an achievement all unto itself.

Authentic to the Voyager experience.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Preechr posted:

Damnit. It's like a reverse-Enterprise.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Damnit. It's like a reverse-Enterprise.

We're basically in season 5 of Andromeda right now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Preechr posted:

We're basically in season 5 of Andromeda right now.

Andromeda? This is entering B5 territory.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
The annoying thing is that the story and setting had been getting good as well. I'm only a couple of missions into the DR stuff but certainly the missions they put out between LOR and the Dyson arc were all fantastic, and the state of the universe with the three powers reaching an alliance and facing down against the Iconians was great. Then... More wasted potential, from what I've seen so far.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

SKY COQ posted:

More wasted potential, from what I've seen so far.

Like Voyager all over again.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Doesn't DR only have a couple of missions? All I remember about DR was just an endless stream of patrols. And Neelix making me run around his station doing stupid poo poo.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

I just can't believe how badly DR hosed up the game. It's staggering.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

It's absolutely goddamn depressing. I've said it before, but I unironically think that STO was one of the best MMOs on the market before Delta Rising hit. It had a lot of issues with tutorials and QA and all, sure, but it was genuinely casual, there was no huge pressure to buy in (sure later ships were better, but you got all the inventory slots and such you needed as a F2P player and you could do fine with the freebie boat), and the PVE was... easy but even the dumbest pubbie could find something to do. There was no raids, no random drop bullshit, just flying around in silly uniforms and shooting lasers for fun. And the it was paying off! The game was growing and raking it in! But then Delta Rising and the things leading up to it hit, and the amount of player loving went through the roof.
  • Increased difficulty and hard failures in queues for no goddamn reason beyond dumb fucker grognard developers.
  • Addition of an open-ended unthrottled advancement system, then banning people for doing the logical thing and grinding it ASAP through the fastest available means.
  • The addition of the upgrade system and all its RNG bullshit, cash sink glory.
  • The increase in the price of c-store ships to $30.
  • The addition of yet another paid ship upgrade token (on top of the fleet modules you already got)
  • The multiple unnecessary nerfs to XP game, making the leveling process a tedious slog.
... and on and on, I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. :psyduck: People who weren't already spacerich were hit with this double whammy of unfun tedious bullshit content and sudden massive cash sinks, and everyone I know who played the game basically quit the week after the expansion released. It's astounding, especially when you compare it to the huge boom in population after the last, not hosed up expansion. About the only regressive grog bullshit they didn't add was putting random drops back into queues, and you could argue they captured the essence of that with the upgrade RNG stuff. Except somehow even worse because it could be fueled by cash money.

Whoever's in charge of the game right now needs to be drug out into the parking lot and shot.

Tighclops posted:

So how long before CBS notices and pulls the license?

Dootman posted:

I don't know what the space portion is like yet since I'm only level 10. STO will literally be dead in a year, either because there's no one left playing it or CBS pulls the license. Gotta find something fill that space mmo fix, might as well do it with lightsabers.
Fielding the question seriously: the only people who know are Cryptic. The license is likely in longish increments (my guess would be two or five year segments) and they've probably had it renewed one or more times already. Getting it renewed again would probably depend a lot on whether anyone else is actively seeking it, just how far into the toilet the sales have fallen, and other factors. I can see the game limping along for another year or three at least, but there's really no way to tell without knowing the arrangements; we could get a shutdown notice tomorrow. :shrug:

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Asimo posted:

Fielding the question seriously: the only people who know are Cryptic. The license is likely in longish increments (my guess would be two or five year segments) and they've probably had it renewed one or more times already. Getting it renewed again would probably depend a lot on whether anyone else is actively seeking it, just how far into the toilet the sales have fallen, and other factors. I can see the game limping along for another year or three at least, but there's really no way to tell without knowing the arrangements; we could get a shutdown notice tomorrow. :shrug:

I'm sure CBS has a clause in the license agreement that lets them back out. They've already yanked the license for this game from somebody else before they gave it to Cryptic.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Asimo posted:

It's absolutely goddamn depressing. I've said it before, but I unironically think that STO was one of the best MMOs on the market before Delta Rising hit. It had a lot of issues with tutorials and QA and all, sure, but it was genuinely casual, there was no huge pressure to buy in (sure later ships were better, but you got all the inventory slots and such you needed as a F2P player and you could do fine with the freebie boat), and the PVE was... easy but even the dumbest pubbie could find something to do. There was no raids, no random drop bullshit, just flying around in silly uniforms and shooting lasers for fun. And the it was paying off! The game was growing and raking it in! But then Delta Rising and the things leading up to it hit, and the amount of player loving went through the roof.
  • Increased difficulty and hard failures in queues for no goddamn reason beyond dumb fucker grognard developers.
  • Addition of an open-ended unthrottled advancement system, then banning people for doing the logical thing and grinding it ASAP through the fastest available means.
  • The addition of the upgrade system and all its RNG bullshit, cash sink glory.
  • The increase in the price of c-store ships to $30.
  • The addition of yet another paid ship upgrade token (on top of the fleet modules you already got)
  • The multiple unnecessary nerfs to XP game, making the leveling process a tedious slog.
... and on and on, I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. :psyduck: People who weren't already spacerich were hit with this double whammy of unfun tedious bullshit content and sudden massive cash sinks, and everyone I know who played the game basically quit the week after the expansion released. It's astounding, especially when you compare it to the huge boom in population after the last, not hosed up expansion. About the only regressive grog bullshit they didn't add was putting random drops back into queues, and you could argue they captured the essence of that with the upgrade RNG stuff. Except somehow even worse because it could be fueled by cash money.

Whoever's in charge of the game right now needs to be drug out into the parking lot and shot.

I wonder if the game would be better served by s different developer picking up the concept and setting it on the JJ era.

Edit: I'd also have loved to see the story adapted to a single-player console game. Mass Effect ground combat coupled with addictive space shooting and a Diablo-esque gear progression system would be great.

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 4, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

About the only regressive grog bullshit they didn't add was putting random drops back into queues, and you could argue they captured the essence of that with the upgrade RNG stuff
How many dentariums do you get from undine ground?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

SKY COQ posted:

I wonder if the game would be better served by s different developer picking up the concept and setting it on the JJ era.

Wouldn't that require Paramount to get in on the action as well since the movie rights are theirs? If the 3rd JJ movie is an improvement on the last STO may be the last time we ever see the original ST universe aside from Netflix.

Hopefully PWE looks at the numbers and the responsible parties get Old Yellered before the game tanks that far, a lot of us already walked away once after launch due to the flaming lack of any sort of endgame, it's not like the game is unfixable- they just need a new direction asap.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Tunicate posted:

How many dentariums do you get from undine ground?

Yea, I'm not even sure where delta rep power cells come from aside from rep boxes for filling the projects.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. A lot of us probably forget how things look to most people playing since we're used to knowing all the tricks to a good build, to make credits en masse, and so on, but if you're not in that permission it's just a massive wall. You probably don't have the damage to kill the inflated enemy HP quickly, you're going into queues and failing half the time (or more likely, looking at queue pops, going in once or twice and then never trying again), you're looking at the new ships and their higher price tags or looking at your favorite old ones and yet another upgrade surcharge, you've got the tedious grind to 60 and the even more tedious specialization grind afterwards, that and the huge upgrade costs that make it near impossible to play alts...

I mean every last person I know who played this game who wasn't a space rich goon has long since quit and probably never coming back without massive changes. It's pure anecdote, I know, but from the look of things it's hardly a unique one.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

SKY COQ posted:

Edit: I'd also have loved to see the story adapted to a single-player console game. Mass Effect ground combat coupled with addictive space shooting and a Diablo-esque gear progression system would be great.

Not sure if trolling...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%282013_video_game%29

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume he meant 'one that isn't infamously poo poo'.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Asimo posted:

... to make credits en masse,...

I could use some information - I have 500 zen coming in a month with the lifetime account (which I got cheap), and am trying to work out the best way to cash up on zen without dropping anything further into the game.

I'm currently manipulating the doff system and listing good ones on the exchange (I usually am better off), is working the dilithium exchange viable? (dropping in a bit, selling high, buying low)?

Also how to cash up on EC's. What's the best way?

The random upgrade system has got to go. But I have a funny feeling "working as intended" is all we will get.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

While we're throwing ideas at the wall, scrapping the item upgrade system and just allowing items (and ships?) to level up would be a huge goodwill gesture.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SKY COQ posted:

While we're throwing ideas at the wall, scrapping the item upgrade system and just allowing items (and ships?) to level up would be a huge goodwill gesture.

Don't scrap it, just have equipped items gain 1 tech point per spec point.

Also fix spec points

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Tunicate posted:

Don't scrap it, just have equipped items gain 1 tech point per spec point.

Also fix spec points

Just make exp advance as fast as it does 1-50 (it arbitralily reduces dramatically whatever you do once you hit fifty) get rid of the ship upgrade modules by making all T5 ships automatically T5U and reimburse everyone with fleet modules per ships upgraded.

Edit: oh also make some new actually good end game repeatable content

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Edit: oh also make some new actually good end game repeatable content
Unfucking the old queues would be a good start, hell.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, keep the item upgrade system, just make it so that a single upgrade upgrades an item fully.

Also keep ship upgrades but cut the price and have them upgrade a proper tier. And let you upgrade any ship. So you can upgrade any ship from any level to T6 if you want to spend enough upgrades.

Asimo posted:

Unfucking the old queues would be a good start, hell.

Unfucking the old queues would increase the endgame content of this thing by like ten times, it'd be an amazing effort::result ratio for the devs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Actually, I'll hold off on declaring 'game dead' just yet.

They still haven't put in playable borg ships.

Oh hey, a new C-lister hired to VA

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1391801

Liam McIntyre is really what this game needs to turn around!

quote:

How this came about was very simple (and fortunate!):

The voice director we work with, Lani Minella, contacted us and said Liam was interested in working on STO. We said "Sure thing! Here is a part that would work for him." (Well, not exactly those words, but you get the drift.)

He was awesome, and I hope we have him back again soon.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 4, 2015

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The rant threads about the bugship are being locked left and right in the STO forums, no replies from anyone on the development team. I am certain that everyone is just shocked by this unexpected twist!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Actually, I'll hold off on declaring 'game dead' just yet.

They still haven't put in playable borg ships.

The Cooperative was obviously inserted for borg ship lockboxes.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Man, seeing this game enter a death spiral is so sad. Legacy of Romulus was legit one of my favorite MMO expansions.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Preechr posted:

SKY COQ posted:

Jeeeeeeeeeesus

wdarkk posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

Well? What the hell was it?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

Well? What the hell was it?

The inmates are running the asylum.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Man, seeing this game enter a death spiral is so sad. Legacy of Romulus was legit one of my favorite MMO expansions.

There's just nothing like it, either. gently caress. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Actually, to be honest, Cryptic is probably super relieved about the Dental celebrations on Vulcan; they took some heat off the Devs, if only for a short while.

While the T6 bugship threads are being locked left and right, the mods are allowing the "loving troll" threads to remain open for days before closing them, even if half the posts -- well, all, really -- are loaded with flaming, trolling, naming and shaming, etc.

The current thread raging over Zombie/Ghost Spock is already approaching 8 pages, while several "gently caress cryptic" threads have been locked and removed. They have to know that the troll thread exists, that it's specifically calling out Dental, but as long as rage is being directed elsewhere, no problem.

Here's the thread, by the way: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1391601

The OP is the same guy who created the bugship whine thread. He's created at least four complaint threads in the last few hours alone, but I think at least one was quietly deleted.

• Locked thread