Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Man I can't wait for the campaigns to begin in earnest. Both parties running primaries is going to be a gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Hasters posted:

The FISA courts are almost 40 years old and are within Congresses power to create, if you don't want congress creating Federal Courts your solution is to amend Article 3.

No the solution is to appeal to the Supreme Court based on the constitutional merits of the case oh wait it's impossible to prove damages because it's a super big secret guess it's within Congress's powers for the government to do whatever with respect to Article 4

Hasters posted:

Just because you disagree with the laws Congress passes doesn't mean you get to break the law consequence free.

I guess it's a good thing the rule of law is so strong and evenly applied in the United States, the goon posted as a concomitant discussion occurred regarding a former Secretary of State and powerful politician curating which official emails they send gets put into the public record despite that being the law with no one suggesting any serious consequences for a violation of federal law

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Combed Thunderclap posted:

No the solution is to appeal to the Supreme Court based on the constitutional merits of the case oh wait it's impossible to prove damages because it's a super big secret guess it's within Congress's powers for the government to do whatever with respect to Article 4

Do you mean Amendment 4?

quote:

I guess it's a good thing the rule of law is so strong and evenly applied in the United States, the goon posted as a concomitant discussion occurred regarding a former Secretary of State and powerful politician curating which official emails they send gets put into the public record despite that being the law with no one suggesting any serious consequences for a violation of federal law

That has yet to be determined, as long as she can produce the emails, or reasonably explain why she can't the law hasn't been broken.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Hasters posted:

Do you mean Amendment 4?

Yes it was, thanks for the correction!

quote:

That has yet to be determined, as long as she can produce the emails, or reasonably explain why she can't the law hasn't been broken.

The regulation is clear that records should always be stored on the agency system. "All's well that ends well" and other reasonable explanations determining whether or not a law has been broken aren't necessarily good indicators of a strong rule of law either.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The regulation is clear that records should always be stored on the agency system. "All's well that ends well" and other reasonable explanations determining whether or not a law has been broken aren't necessarily good indicators of a strong rule of law either.

Not necessarily, also State has administrative subpoena power, if they really thought something was missing they could go to the e-mail provider and get it.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

How is it that she can selectively pick what emails to turn over?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

She's like you or I using a gmail! At least she's not like [AOL joke + GOP] Please donate to Hitlary for Progress 2016!

It is very easy to wave off, especially when both she and Jeb/candidate are gonna likely gaffe it up. Other things will occur.

Secretary Clinton, why won't you release the records requested by the House Committee? Isn't exactly waved off by "lol aol" or "I just kept using my blackberry"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Alabama's Supreme court orders halt to same sex marriage licenses. Because Alabama.

From the 144 page order

quote:

Every day, more and more purported "marriage licenses" are being issued to same-sex couples by some of the probate judges in this State. Every day, the recipients of those licenses and others with whom they interact may be, and presumably are, relying upon the validity of those licenses in their personal and business affairs. Every probate judge in this State, regardless of his or her own stance on the issuance of such licenses, will soon enough be faced, in his or her judicial capacity, with a universe of novel derivative questions unprecedented in their multiplicity, scope, and urgency. The circuit courts of this State will confront a similar experience...

It is clear that no other court in this State has the jurisdiction to provide the relief necessary in this most unusual of cases. There is a need for immediate, uniform relief among all the probate judges of this State, and no circuit court has jurisdiction over any probate judge outside its territorial jurisdiction...

The "magnitude and importance" of the issue before us is unparalleled. And the "special reasons" that compel us to act are unlike any other in the history of our jurisprudence... we are clear to the conclusion that this Court has the authority to act in this matter to maintain and restore order in the administration of our laws by the probate judges and the courts of this State.

I like how they put marriage licenses in quotes just to be extra dicks.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Trabisnikof posted:

Am I the only one seriously worried that emailgate will derail the Clinton campaign?

Remember the Romney email scandal of 2011?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Joementum posted:

Remember the Romney email scandal of 2011?

I don't remember the House committee investigating it.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Actually that is probably not true, the Federal Records Act didn't require that till an executive order signed in 2014 made that so http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/03/hillary-email-scandal-not-so-fast.html

As a former DoD contractor we all had a .GOV email address but no one used them because they were a hassle unless you were a ~true~ federal employee. Also as long as other rules for classified info was followed there would be no way for there to be a leak because classified data isn't stored on the internet but a very large intranet called SIPRnet.

Also, speaking of making contractors lives miserable, after the Manning leak poo poo got real annoying for us.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, Heres what Im thinking in interest of saving face. ~ Nancy Pelosi's first words to John Boehner on a phone call last Friday night.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, Did you see Nancy Pelosi on the floor. Complete disgust. If you can get through all the surgeries, theres disgust. ~ Lindsey Graham.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Trabisnikof posted:

Am I the only one seriously worried that emailgate will derail the Clinton campaign?

It won't but say hello to fox news' newest cudgel to hit her with.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, Did you see Nancy Pelosi on the floor. Complete disgust. If you can get through all the surgeries, theres disgust. ~ Lindsey Graham.

*in jon stewert falsetto voice* Why I do declare!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So in the wake of right to work in Wisconsin, Minnesota's House Business Committee is helping businesses who don't like RTW relocate to Minnesota.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"Oh dad, I'm so sorry...."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Oh hey it's the exact look he'll have on his face when he wraps up his losing candidacy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Pat Boone studied Leviticus, and apparently also Chuck Johnson's Twitter feed, on the way to Bibi's speech.

quote:

Back toward the reception, guests were figuring out when or whether they could enter. Pat Boone, the evangelical Christian singer, stood to the side of a rope line clad in a bright blue blazer and a blue tie emblazoned with tiny Israeli flags. Hed hoped to be recognized by NetanyahuIve known him for yearsas an evangelical friend of Israel, but the prime minister wasnt moved to do so. That wasnt a problem.

I was reading Leviticus on the plane, said Boone. I hadnt noticed this before, but amongst all Mosess instructions to the people of Israel was that to stand idle when a neighbor is threatened is a sin.

Was the Obama administration committing a sin? No, they are doing some things theyre almost obligated to do, said Boone. But President Obama, unfortunatelyits not his faultwas educated by his father, stepfather, and Frank Marshall Davis, to believe that America was a colonialist oppressor, not worthy of leadership in the world.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh hey it's the exact look he'll have on his face when he wraps up his losing candidacy.
The nut doesn't fall far from the tree. I'm sure he'll have that look on his face at least 2-3 more times in his life.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Joementum posted:

Jesus. Was he waving a pinky finger in the air at the time? Both pinky's?

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Joementum posted:

Pat Boone studied Leviticus, and apparently also Chuck Johnson's Twitter feed, on the way to Bibi's speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JntLaT-MAt4

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Joementum posted:

"Oh dad, I'm so sorry...."

randgolfclap.gif

Don't think this little transgression went unnoticed!

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/414746/unenthused-rand-paul-lifelessly-applauds-netanyahu-speech-brendan-bordelon

Demands for fealty to Dear Leader, aside, anyone know what "HIS HATE IS AS horeass" means?

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Alabama's Supreme court orders halt to same sex marriage licenses. Because Alabama.

From the 144 page order

I like how they put marriage licenses in quotes just to be extra dicks.

So am I misunderstanding this, or is the State of Alabama once again openly defying the Federal government on a Civil Rights matter? At what point are federal agents dispatched to enforce SCOTUS's order?

Ah well I guess my cartoon's relevant again, at least. :P

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope all of you are looking forward to Ben "Veterans dying is a Gift from God" Carson's presidential run

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/11/15/top-10-quotes-that-prove-neurosurgeon-ben-carson-doesnt-have-the-brain-to-be-president/

quote:

5. I think whats happening with the veterans is a gift from God to show us what happens when you take layers and layers of bureaucracy and place them between the patients and the health care provider. And if we cant get it right, with the relatively small number of veterans, how in the world are you going to do it with the entire population?
~Ben Carson, thanking God for dead soldiers in an attack on ObamaCare amid the Veterans Affairs military healthcare scandal in which veterans died waiting for medical care, Memorial Day Weekend 2014.

personally I just can't wait.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
And MN previously encouraged WI gay couples to come get married there.

As a Wisconsinite: please, MN, continue to troll the poo poo out of every one of our rear end in a top hat policy updates.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

eat the midwest, Minnesota!

there is a Star in the North!

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Hasters posted:

Yeah I don't get the Snowden love in this thread; he stole top secret documents regarding legal survellience programs and passed them on to a journalist, who by the way should also be in prison.

Yeah let's just start jailing journalists. That's always gone over well.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

PupsOfWar posted:

eat the midwest, Minnesota!

there is a Star in the North!

I'd be fine with the Minnesota absorbing the Midwest into one cool, liberal state.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Pascallion posted:

And MN previously encouraged WI gay couples to come get married there.

As a Wisconsinite: please, MN, continue to troll the poo poo out of every one of our rear end in a top hat policy updates.

As a fellow Wisconsinite, I agree. I want to see Minnesota stick their finger in the eye of this state more.

I should probably just move there. But, then again, Minnesota means the Vikings and I'm already a Bear fan in hell :suicide:

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

The Rokstar posted:

Yeah let's just start jailing journalists. That's always gone over well.

yeah what we do is so much better

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/06/obama-abuse-espionage-act-mccarthyism

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

To compare what's happening now to McCarthyism is like comparing a poorly powered light bulb to the blinding radiance of a nuclear blast.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Hasters posted:

The FISA courts are almost 40 years old and are within Congresses power to create, if you don't want congress creating Federal Courts your solution is to amend Article 3.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't the Snowden leaks confirm that the NSA was lying to and/or bypassing both FISA courts and Congressional oversight?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't the Snowden leaks confirm that the NSA was lying to and/or bypassing both FISA courts and Congressional oversight?

Yes, to both.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The only argument I can think of for Snowden doing the wrong thing is that it's necessary for the CIA to act extra-legally in order to do its job.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Cross-posting from the SCOTUS thread, court analysts see SCOTUS having 5 votes to strike down redistricting commissions.

Gerrymandering for everybody!

Am I misunderstanding this case or would setups like California be untouched by the ruling unless 5 justices want to be broad assholes?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Samurai Sanders posted:

The only argument I can think of for Snowden doing the wrong thing is that it's necessary for the CIA to act extra-legally in order to do its job.

He was at least a lot more responsible in his leaks than Manning.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Cross-posting from the SCOTUS thread, court analysts see SCOTUS having 5 votes to strike down redistricting commissions.

Gerrymandering for everybody!

What makes you think redistricting committees in general prevent gerrymandering? A whole bunch of states have them and they just reinforce gerrymandering, even.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
California is notoriously gerrymandered.
edit: oh it's :fishmech:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

James Garfield posted:

California is notoriously gerrymandered.
edit: oops I didn't notice it was :fishmech:

California is highly unusual in having a redistricting commission that actually did its job. In most other cases, they just get used as rubber stamps to maintain gerrymandering.

Sorry it hurts your feelings to question the almighty concept of redistricting commissions. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread