Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

The White Dragon posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about this look. It's reminiscent of the movie-licensed crap games of the 16-bit generation. And Bubsy. It's an unfortunate combination.

Pretty much this.

I will always hate pixel games that use special effects at the monitor's pixel level instead of the game's pixel level. It looks like poo poo in every retro game I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's cargo-cult game design.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.
The current art style is some kind of uncanny valley retro art style but I can save any complaining for when it's not in alpha.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
It's a lack of art direction. Look at the tree outside the house or the earthy bits underneath the house compared to a lot of the stuff inside the house. It's like they are two different styles, among other things. They don't mesh.

Compare that to the art direction of Terraria, which is consistent throughout. There are lasers and guns and ships and all kinds of weird crap, but at least from an artistic point of view, they all look like they belong in the same game.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

It's cargo-cult game design.

This is the best way I've heard it described. Matches my feelings exactly.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I started playing this a few days ago and it's super fun, although apparently I am still struggling with house requirements. Can someone speculate on what's wrong with A, B and C in this screenshot? D is suitable although unoccupied at the moment due to a recent goblin army attack.

I tried putting a door where I'm standing (next to the slime statue) but that didn't help.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
With C at least, there needs to be at least an open 2x3 bit of floor where an NPC can stand at night. If any of those dirt walls are naturally occurring (as in you didn't put that wall there, it was there when you dug the space out) then that will not be valid.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Glare Seethe posted:

I started playing this a few days ago and it's super fun, although apparently I am still struggling with house requirements. Can someone speculate on what's wrong with A, B and C in this screenshot? D is suitable although unoccupied at the moment due to a recent goblin army attack.

I tried putting a door where I'm standing (next to the slime statue) but that didn't help.

Pretty sure A is too big. Try putting a door beside the slime statue and it should be good. God knows rooms being too big has gotten me before.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Also, try tapping a few of those corners with a Hammer. Unless you prefer your stuff to look like that, but you said you were new and may not know this one neat trick that Clones hate!!

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
B looks like it has dirt tile background, and I believe NPCs will refuse to move in if you haven't placed that dirt yourself.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I did place the dirt walls myself in all of these rooms but just to be sure I replaced the one in B with a different type and it made no difference. The other suggestions also didn't work. :( Weird. I wonder if this might be this thing that's listed on the wiki page for houses:

Terraria wiki posted:

1.2.4.1: Opening doors will once again cause a room to be unsuitable, but only if two doors are opened into the same room. (Depends on size of room)

I guess I'll try sealing some of these off and see if that makes a difference. Also that hammer trick is cool, I will make some use of it!

edit: That didn't work, but at least for C I've found two options, either remove the door or remove the bunny cage outside the door. Either way makes it suitable again. I guess something's bugging out here or I dunno.
edit2: Sorted B out by moving the platform with bathtub one tile higher. :confused:
edit3: Gave up on A, instead turned it into a dining area which also leads to the bunny dorms. Removed the other two statues but left the bunny one at the top. I'm satisfied. Thanks for the help. :)

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 24, 2015

ThatNateGuy
Oct 15, 2004

"Is that right?"
Slippery Tilde
May I get an invite to the group, please? :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/thatnateguy/

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

ThatNateGuy posted:

May I get an invite to the group, please? :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/thatnateguy/

I don't believe the group is locked, so you should be able to join.

ThatNateGuy
Oct 15, 2004

"Is that right?"
Slippery Tilde
Said "invite only".

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Is there a list of suggested mods anywhere? I played the heck out of the base game, and I enjoyed it.

also, invite to the steam group please;

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Edwar505/

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edwhirl posted:

Is there a list of suggested mods anywhere? I played the heck out of the base game, and I enjoyed it.
Unfortunately, Terraria is very opaque to modding, and there's very little available for it compared to say, Minecraft or Starbound.
A lot of the mods I've seen are pretty barebones or haphazard, thrown together with little care or consistency, and many just add more weapon tiers for everything which seems dumb.

One I might recommend though is Grox's GRealm mod, which I talked about some months ago. New items, monsters, tools, a new invasion and a new boss, plus 3 NPCs, including one who sells ore. Some of the utility stuff is really great and should be in the vanilla game.

Earlier post linked here:

Vib Rib posted:

And speaking of new utilities...

The mod is almost worth it for this alone. These rods are a godsend, especially when you just need to find a god-damned extractinator, magic mirror, or ice skates. They're super simple to use and at this point would probably do well to be included in the actual game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's a nice mod, but it's a little crashy in my experience. YMMV, and don't bring your friends because you'll have two layers of crash chance: client and host, and that's just asking for a bad time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hey, Terraria thread. Long time no see.

I was talking with someone about the game, and I realized I never posted pictures of the finished sword online! I got really sad, since I'd uninstalled the game and thought it was gone for good, but I reinstalled, and lo and behold! So I took some pics, and decided I might as well share them with you all, too.

The sword on the map. Also included is my mushroom house.

And the sword itself.

Edit Now we can take my half-finished shame out of the OP.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 4, 2015

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Edit Now we can take my half-finished shame out of the OP.

And it is so! The finished sword is looking very nice!

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Makes me sad to never see anybody give their NPCs' homes any love. It's always the tiniest possible prison cells. Once I tore down my original shanty town, all my residents got two story homes made of solid silver bricks with shining gold walls, cause I wanted them to go blind or something. And full of books and goldfish bowls too. They were very grateful.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
somebody build a literal prison complex for their npcs

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I usually give them a little room, but I like to put them in a park area where they can walk around with each other :unsmith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nonbaka posted:

Makes me sad to never see anybody give their NPCs' homes any love. It's always the tiniest possible prison cells. Once I tore down my original shanty town, all my residents got two story homes made of solid silver bricks with shining gold walls, cause I wanted them to go blind or something. And full of books and goldfish bowls too. They were very grateful.
In my defense, they were tiny homes inside a giant sword.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I arranged my NPC's homes around elaborate deathtraps that were intended to murder them randomly when they wandered astray. I don't think I ever got the deathtraps working though. Or finished.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm just not creative enough to make anything nice. I'd love to have a nice housing system for everyone but I'm just not someone who builds impressive things. I'm a Red Faction Guerrilla guy. Not a Minecraft guy.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I like to think my 3 block wide, 10 block high wooden "cells" with a single torch, woodworking table and chair are excusable given I'm protecting people from being torn apart by zombies and floating eyeballs every night. It's better than the "residence" I typically have, which is nothing besides a workshop and storage.

Besides, if they wanted to get out of the cells, they could always jump up the platforms and escape via the roof hatch. Granted, they're on a floating island fortress comprised of only of cells, workshop and storage space, and don't have anywhere to immediately go besides the deadly shallow lava pits far below, but such is the price of zombie-proofing.

Man, now I'm extra-jonesing for 1.3 to come along and screw up my go-to.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I tend to put varying levels of effort into NPC housing. In my main world, my floating fortress has medium-sized themed rooms for everyone (The Dryad gets some grass and flowers, the Merchant has chests and a mannequin, the Clothier has half a dozen mannequins and a piano, the Goblin Tinker lives in my bathroom). My hardcore world has 3-block-tall tenement housing for everyone except the Dryad and the Party Girl, who have a dance club and a garden on top of the tenements that everyone else winds up in (Plus the Shroom and Witch Doctor have their own biomes high above the building). In the most recent multiplayer world I was in, I dismantled a lovely plain stone NPC ghetto and built Glorious NPC Nippon with dynasty wood.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
For those holding their breath, Re-Logic's GDC blog announced a couple days ago that "our goal is to have Terraria 1.3 ready for release in June 2015​".

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tollymain posted:

somebody build a literal prison complex for their npcs

I do this sometimes and it's just a supermax facility with active block levers and poo poo

Nonbaka posted:

Makes me sad to never see anybody give their NPCs' homes any love. It's always the tiniest possible prison cells.

:colbert:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 6, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
At best, I put my npcs in apartments. It's just too convenient to have them any other way. Also easier to defend.

I hope Terraria 2 gives me a better reason to spread out my npcs and/or give them more luxurious living spaces.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Kenny Logins posted:

For those holding their breath, Re-Logic's GDC blog announced a couple days ago that "our goal is to have Terraria 1.3 ready for release in June 2015​".

They also released a pretty cool teaser screenshot:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Potential BFF posted:

They also released a pretty cool teaser screenshot:

The Penetrator of Worlds.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
hey this trailer looks cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1HpkvoMXnw

now I can drop starbound like the hot garbage it is :thumbsup:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If you hate Starbound so much did you really need an excuse to drop it? Wouldn't Terraria have been enough?

Also I guess we watched the same thing but I'm not seeing anything in there so amazing or definitive as to set anything aside, let alone pre-order. I mean isn't this sort of pre-alpha, highlights-only, no-context gameplay footage exactly the kind of thing that got people to buy Starbound in the first place? Glomming onto Otherworld over this just makes it seem like you haven't really learned your lesson.
Nothing about it stands out that much to me. A lot of it seems kind of bland or derivative, the gameplay doesn't look amazing, and the art style kind of grates on me with how loose they are with rotating aliased sprites and mismatching pixel sizes. I'm not trying to rant against it; I'm sure it could still be a lot of fun, but all I'm saying is it's going to take more than some guy walking around a pretty landscape and sometimes shooting at enemies for a few seconds to convince me.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Vib Rib posted:

If you hate Starbound so much did you really need an excuse to drop it? Wouldn't Terraria have been enough?

Also I guess we watched the same thing but I'm not seeing anything in there so amazing or definitive as to set anything aside, let alone pre-order. I mean isn't this sort of pre-alpha, highlights-only, no-context gameplay footage exactly the kind of thing that got people to buy Starbound in the first place? Glomming onto Otherworld over this just makes it seem like you haven't really learned your lesson.
Nothing about it stands out that much to me. A lot of it seems kind of bland or derivative, the gameplay doesn't look amazing, and the art style kind of grates on me with how loose they are with rotating aliased sprites and mismatching pixel sizes. I'm not trying to rant against it; I'm sure it could still be a lot of fun, but all I'm saying is it's going to take more than some guy walking around a pretty landscape and sometimes shooting at enemies for a few seconds to convince me.

I played terraria long after I stopped trying to convince myself the starbound pre-release was good. if the people behind terraria are finally stopping updating it to make the sequel I can get behind that, even if the trailer doesn't show a lot

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

padijun posted:

I played terraria long after I stopped trying to convince myself the starbound pre-release was good. if the people behind terraria are finally stopping updating it to make the sequel I can get behind that, even if the trailer doesn't show a lot
Then I hate to be the one to tell you, but this isn't made by the same guy who made Terraria. It's not Terraria 2.
In fact, Otherworld is being made entirely by Engine Software, with Redigit acting as "supervisor". Engine Software you may know as the people who Redigit got to do the Console Editions of Terraria, which is not much to boast about. Their other work is not particularly reassuring either.

Terraria 2 will be a thing eventually, and I'll probably share your enthusiasm for that. The new 1.3 update will probably be coming out for Terraria within a few months. That looks like a lot of fun, too. Otherworld is essentially a third party spinoff, and while I'm not saying it's doomed by any stretch, I just think it will take more than what they've shown me to prove its quality.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Okay the art style is finally starting to get to me. Those crystal caverns look wretched.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Terraria 2

I am super curious to see the art style in Terraria 2. With the resources Redigit's acquired from Terraria's success, I'd like to see what he does with it.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Vib Rib posted:

Their other work is not particularly reassuring either.

I looked through that list and discovered they actually had one good game. Wade Hixton's Counter Punch. I can't believe these are the same people that made that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also I just watched it again and noticed the flailing, tweened melee animation. It's so lazy. It looks like the guy's having a half-seizure.

mune posted:

I am super curious to see the art style in Terraria 2. With the resources Redigit's acquired from Terraria's success, I'd like to see what he does with it.
I think at one point Redigit said ideally Terraria 2 would be 2.5D -- that is, 3D graphics but still played on a 2D plane.

Zaa Boogie posted:

I looked through that list and discovered they actually had one good game. Wade Hixton's Counter Punch. I can't believe these are the same people that made that.
Just looked this up and found out it was a Punch Out! clone. Still, the animation's not too shabby.

• Locked thread