Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

Didn't Sony demo a game where you hang out with and instruct a Japanese schoolgirl at TGS last year? I think all they need to do is release "virutal reality game where you hang out with Japanese schoolgirls" and it will make infinite money forever. Hopefully that makes third parties put some good stuff out.
It is nice to see someone making a real effort to revive the fading Japanese console market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

Didn't Sony demo a game where you hang out with and instruct a Japanese schoolgirl at TGS last year? I think all they need to do is release "virutal reality game where you hang out with Japanese schoolgirls" and it will make infinite money forever. Hopefully that makes third parties put some good stuff out.

That's "Summer Lesson", and it's made by the tekken team.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'd hate to be the sad sack of poo poo that brings a Final Fantasy calendar to the office and uses it at work for the entire year.

I'll up the ante and make it worse; It's Final Fantasy X, so you know there's a fanservicey Lulu page in there somewhere.

Also, isn't the 120FPS/120Hz thing because they have to render it twice for 3D rather than just upping the refresh rate?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

When editing clips together in sharefactory, can I not use these awful themes? I just wanted to put a few 10-20 second clips together but I wasn't expecting the terrible transitions to be mandatory.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also, isn't the 120FPS/120Hz thing because they have to render it twice for 3D rather than just upping the refresh rate?

Yep, all handled by the external box.

Manatee Cannon posted:

When editing clips together in sharefactory, can I not use these awful themes? I just wanted to put a few 10-20 second clips together but I wasn't expecting the terrible transitions to be mandatory.

You can delete transitions and intros, outros.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Great, thanks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I just got a funds added to my account notice from february 17th. wtf psn?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Drastic Actions posted:

That's the game that will destroy the population!

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
Hopping aboard the Helldivers train. Played some online coop till rank 8 and it seems everyone I joined knew what they were doing. Already had some hilarious moments as well.

If anyone wants to dive into some hells with me:
psn: bobby2times

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Real hurthling! posted:

I just got a funds added to my account notice from february 17th. wtf psn?

Did you do that extra settlement for the PSN hack thing? I'm not sure if it's this either.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

crazysim posted:

Did you do that extra settlement for the PSN hack thing? I'm not sure if it's this either.

I got that email too. If I did that settlement I had no idea I did. it appears to have charged $5 to my card though so I really don't know what they were doing. I spent it today anyways but I still don't want Sony randomly charging my card.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yes, and I'm going to take comfort in it being really unlikely to ever hit the States.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

Yes, and I'm going to take comfort in it being really unlikely to ever hit the States.
Don't be so sure. NIS needs something to localize in between Disgaea games.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Manatee Cannon posted:

Great, thanks.
When you go to add clips, just uncheck all the intro/outro options. Will save you a few steps.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

crazysim posted:

no, i think i bought something on that date but it took them a month to send an email about it.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Does best buy email psn codes?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
How do I stop a Dualshock 4 from pairing with a PS4? I've tried that reset button in the back. I held it down for 10 seconds just in case and it still turns on the PS4 whenever I hit the PS button.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

How do I stop a Dualshock 4 from pairing with a PS4? I've tried that reset button in the back. I held it down for 10 seconds just in case and it still turns on the PS4 whenever I hit the PS button.
I believe you hold down the share and playstation button, or something like that?

Maybe you can do it from the PS4's side as well.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I figured out a way on the PS4 side. You can delete the controller from the device list when it isn't currently paired.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

When you go to add clips, just uncheck all the intro/outro options. Will save you a few steps.

Also good to know, thank you.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Drastic Actions posted:

I'd buy it if it was Team Ninja...

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Helldivers looks fun. Whats the general opinion so far ? Only thing I'm worried about is it being one of those games whose online community dies out within a year.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Helldivers' mandatory teamkilling is very familiar to me since I have played a billion hours of EDF4 online, so maybe I'll give it a try sometime. I'm worried about the above problem too though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

Helldivers looks fun. Whats the general opinion so far ? Only thing I'm worried about is it being one of those games whose online community dies out within a year.

I hear you, in general, but it's a 17.99 game. If the community only lasts a year, I'll be ok with it.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope, it's (and by extension the PS4 is) actually capable of running at 120fps/120Hz. It's a single 5.7" low-persistence 1080p OLED panel with sub-pixel RGB values and a ridiculous sub-18ms response time for all the tracking goodies. Games will have to be made with considerations to the framerate (meaning they'll be intentionally quite a bit more simple than, say, The Order), but they could absolutely run at 120fps. The panel updates at 120Hz regardless, so the external box has the option of taking PS4 output and interpolating it to match with the refresh rate of all the Morpheus internals.

I'm exceptionally leery of any fake frames -- doubly so when it concerns a game -- but until I go hands-on with this latest one, I'll reserve judgment.

MrLonghair posted:

Yep, all handled by the external box.

The box can assist in updating things to 120Hz, but it's not required for games to run at 120fps. The PS4 can do that, but it's going to be pretty drat simple scenes, I'm guessing.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Real hurthling! posted:

no, i think i bought something on that date but it took them a month to send an email about it.

I recently received about 3 emails from Sony about games I picked up a few weeks ago so just seems like a bug.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SamBishop posted:

Nope, it's (and by extension the PS4 is) actually capable of running at 120fps/120Hz. It's a single 5.7" low-persistence 1080p OLED panel with sub-pixel RGB values and a ridiculous sub-18ms response time for all the tracking goodies. Games will have to be made with considerations to the framerate (meaning they'll be intentionally quite a bit more simple than, say, The Order), but they could absolutely run at 120fps. The panel updates at 120Hz regardless, so the external box has the option of taking PS4 output and interpolating it to match with the refresh rate of all the Morpheus internals.

I'm exceptionally leery of any fake frames -- doubly so when it concerns a game -- but until I go hands-on with this latest one, I'll reserve judgment.

The box can assist in updating things to 120Hz, but it's not required for games to run at 120fps. The PS4 can do that, but it's going to be pretty drat simple scenes, I'm guessing.

Is there much chance of the screen going beyond 1080p? I tried the Oculus Rift DK2 recently (the DK2 had the 1080p screen), and I was not impressed with the resolution at all - the only reason it didn't put me off was because I knew the Crescent Bay prototype already had a resolution improvement. I'm worried that if Morpheus goes with anything less than a 1440p screen it'll look way too fuzzy. Obviously getting a PS4 to run games at 1440p/120fps would be hard, but I'd put up with PS3-level visuals if that's what it took.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Feenix posted:

I hear you, in general, but it's a 17.99 game. If the community only lasts a year, I'll be ok with it.

The more I think about it you have a point. I've got big name games I've never even touched multiplayer on but I demand a massive online community on an indie game I might not even like.

I just bought it. Why not.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
How close are the screens to your eyes in PM?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel like not buying a game right now because the community will be dead in a year is a flawed argument anyway. Most people will have long had their fill by then, and had a better time besides.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Welp, Counterspy is the surprise gem out of the new PS+ games. Definitely give the game a try, I'm having a ton of fun with it.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
Can confirm that Helldivers fukken owns. Just joined with three random people and had a blast clearing maps while (accidentally) blowing each other up. This is a brilliant little co-op game.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

VR is the new 3D. I know all these 3D displays were sold, and for about ten minutes there were a few 3D games, but not so much any more. VR may create new experiences, but they may be distinct from the AAA titles we are used to. And if that is the case, bring it on. Innovation is fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Helldivers is REALLY fun.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I feel like not buying a game right now because the community will be dead in a year is a flawed argument anyway. Most people will have long had their fill by then, and had a better time besides.

That was mostly my point. I don't think (barring any crazy and VERY diverse DLC content) I even want to be playing this in a year. I will have gotten what I want out of it.

All that said, the format of this game lends itself to REALLY easy expansion.

New planets. New tilesets. More Armor and Guns and Stratagems. More mission types. More metagame hooks.

All really easy to inject.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

It's fun dancing with pubbies in Helldivers (just spin in a circle to woosh your cape and others will join like 85% of the time even when you are all dying)

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

BreakAtmo posted:

Is there much chance of the screen going beyond 1080p? I tried the Oculus Rift DK2 recently (the DK2 had the 1080p screen), and I was not impressed with the resolution at all - the only reason it didn't put me off was because I knew the Crescent Bay prototype already had a resolution improvement. I'm worried that if Morpheus goes with anything less than a 1440p screen it'll look way too fuzzy. Obviously getting a PS4 to run games at 1440p/120fps would be hard, but I'd put up with PS3-level visuals if that's what it took.

Almost zero. Rift CV1 will probably go higher because, well, it can given the hardware that it can be attached to. The PS4 is still the bottleneck, and while it's certainly capable, this is where we'll see PC elitists smugly looking down on the limitations of what is effectively a mid-tier APU powering everything.

Cerny did a hell of a job working out a price-to-power ratio for launch (and it paid dividends when there was a more powerful machine selling for $100 less when they both launched), but this isn't the Kutaragi era of Sony; the PS4 is not a best-in-class CPU. There's simply no overcoming that fact, and if you really want the most high-end VR experience, it's going to be Oculus or Valve/HTC's implementation.

Morpheus echoes the PS4's basic strength: one single spec to design around, for good or ill. That'll mean there will be far more impressive visuals, but also a significantly higher cost to entry on PC vs. what'll be possible on the console side. I feel like first-party stuff will be awesome, and indies will look at the install base and the great sales of putting games on PSN and opt to go for it, but third parties are going to drive the adoption of VR, and with Morpheus being a closed system, it just won't be able to compete.

Not that I'm feeling like what was done with the hardware is short-changing anyone or anything, but there's literally no competition with a $5000 rig and whatever the commercial version of Oculus' setup is going to be. They have the advantage of impossibly deep pockets with Facebook, and they can iterate. That option, like upgrading the PS4, is completely off the table for Sony. They're locked in now, and while some things can still change between now and this time next year, that does a great disservice to the people being tasked with making full, non-tech-demo offerings for Morpheus when it goes on sale.

VR's going to go through some birthing pains, and it should. Shaking out resolution, hardware dependency on the PC side and most importantly what games work best (there'll be countless entirely new VR-only genres that are going to happen) and total cost to let people buy in are all things that have to happen before it becomes a standard way to enjoy entertainment. Iteration and adaptation -- both of which were impossible in the 90s when this thing was first shown to the public -- will continue to drive how the experiences play out.

Personally, couldn't be more excited. There will be pitfalls and huge mistakes and massive gains over the next few years, and for those that were around in the industry (particularly when we moved from 2D to 3D), the buzz is palpable. This is it. This is the big shift, the one that will quiet all the myopic weirdos who couldn't see how the shift to this generation was much from the last. It's not about graphics anymore, it's truly, honestly, purely about immersion. Once you enter a world that feels completely real, it spins the mind and coaxes out those old playground discussions of what a new game could be.

For as entrenched as many genres and development projects are, this feels like the perfect time to take it in a perfect direction: high-end graphics and familiar gameplay to those that are happy with it (I'm among them), but completely NEW experiences that are utterly impossible to quantify because they are experiences. You're in them now, and visuals aren't a necessary way of selling that anymore (I'm among those too). Both will feed back to each other and strengthen the whole. We're still a ways off from games (or at least interactive entertainment) supplanting passive movie watching, but I don't think it's as far off as people assume.

VR is finally making good on the promise of what the 90s said it would be. Also, I have dibs on becoming Job-God in some virtual universe.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 4, 2015

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The 3D on the New 3DS is so stable and well executed that after just a couple weeks I barely even notice it until I look at a different screen and realize it's missing. 3D can be cool when it is done correctly, and I wish I had the means to try Uncharted 3 in 3D.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ultimate Mango posted:

VR is the new 3D. I know all these 3D displays were sold, and for about ten minutes there were a few 3D games, but not so much any more. VR may create new experiences, but they may be distinct from the AAA titles we are used to. And if that is the case, bring it on. Innovation is fun.
Since some of my ESL students are video game inclined, I'm going to give them a research paper topic choice of VR displays. They could write about the technology side or the business side or the game side or whatever. We'll see how this goes.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Shonuff posted:

Can confirm that Helldivers fukken owns. Just joined with three random people and had a blast clearing maps while (accidentally) blowing each other up. This is a brilliant little co-op game.

bought it and played with friends and that was my whole rest of the day spent

someone make a thread for helldivers it is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted

setafd posted:

someone make a thread for helldivers it is really good

Yes please.

In the meantime holler at me (DocBonestron) if you wanna play.

• Locked thread