Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

armoredgorilla posted:

I'm always surprised at how much Star Trek and wrestling fans intersect.

You haven't lived until you've heard a wrestling crowd chant "live long and prosper."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbCVCvr3bI8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also UPN was anchored entirely by the two for its whole brief lifespan. It was the Trek and Wrestling network.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

Also UPN was anchored entirely by the two for its whole brief lifespan. It was the Trek and Wrestling network.
I think you mean "the Trek'n"Wrestling Connection."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just remembered when TNN would air TNG reruns and the commercials had a huge crowd of Klingons just going apeshit.

Good times.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

shadok posted:

That is true. Ron Moore talked about it in That Interview. I guess I just forgive Piller because the net gain on writing quality was so dramatic when he joined the staff.

Also, Ron Moore's theory that it was the decade of Trek conventions that drove Roddenberry away from good storytelling in favour of "Starfleet Is Perfect" might have some truth to it, but the roots were definitely already there even in TOS. His meddling in Harlan Ellison's script for "The City on the Edge of Forever" is well documented and that was right back in season 1, 1967.

The worst part of this interview is where Moore states that they could have done another season or two of DS9 no problem as long as the actors were on board.

BLEARGHHHSAGSGHDSHSDHSDH

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just remembered when TNN would air TNG reruns and the commercials had a huge crowd of Klingons just going apeshit.

Good times.

"Dude, would you?"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

armoredgorilla posted:

I'm not clear anymore on what prompted this whole best intro episodes thing, but if Star Trek somehow gets you laid, please update us asap.

First date with my girlfriend was seeing 2009 Star Trek. Things are going pretty well.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Met posted:

First date with my girlfriend was seeing 2009 Star Trek. Things are going pretty well.

Sixth date, but first movie my wife and I saw in theater together was star trek 09.

First episode of Star Trek I showed her was the one with Abraham Lincoln and Genghis Khan.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
I once broke up with a guy because of Star Trek in High School. I built a Geocities-like site back in 2000 or so and filled it with a lot of Star Trek poo poo, most of which I don't remember which is probably for the best. I do remember I had some rad sketches of starships I made (along with class names, specs, etc of course). This guy I was dating, a bunch of his rear end in a top hat friends were tremendous jerks and made fun of me for this website I made so I broke it off with him. :colbert:

One of those jerks recently started getting into Star Trek and now posts about it on Facebook all the time which I still find freaking bizarre.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Apple Jax posted:

One of those jerks recently started getting into Star Trek and now posts about it on Facebook all the time which I still find freaking bizarre.

The day after Robin Williams died, my feed was full of millennials getting into Mork and Mindy.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I was with a high school senior when the Nemoy news came down. He popped his head up from a laptop and asked innocently, "who is Leenard Nemo?"

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
^^^ I can't tell if you spelled Nimoy's name wrong (the first time) on purpose or not, but either way your post is reminding me of one of my favorite tweets of all time: https://twitter.com/tree_bro/status/79444819902074880

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The day after Robin Williams died, my feed was full of millennials getting into Mork and Mindy.
This particular jerk started getting into Trek with the reboot movies (not after Nimoy's death--I used the word "recently" a bit too relatively) which almost makes it worse for me since personally I'm not a fan of the reboots.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

The front page article of people mourning Stove Jobs is one of the thirty funniest things I've ever seen.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So, I just moved into a new place and have extremely unreliable internet because I basically can only use my iphone hotspot, and it's not so hot (or cost-efficient) for streaming netflix, so I am without the comfort TV I fall asleep to every night (Star Trek, usually) barring the fact that I own seasons 1 and 5 of TNG on Blu-Ray.

I decided to the local shop that sells this stuff at decent prices and see what they had, and sure enough there was a used copy of TOS season 1 on blu-ray, which was perfect and what I was looking for, and was it was being sold at a reasonable price ($30) so I'm psyched. I've watched most of these episodes on Netflix, but I watched them all out of order and skipped ones here and there, so it feels nice to just start from the beginning. The loving annoying thing is that I was sure the blu-ray would have organized the episodes by production date and not the totally absurd air date. But I guess that's much too much to ask and I'll be hopping from disc to disc just to watch all of this in the right order, though :(

At least it gets into a bit of a groove later on, especially if you just ignore the existence of The Alternative Factor entirely, which I entirely intend to do. In fact, I'm unaware that any such episode exists.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

armoredgorilla posted:

He hated it, but didn't feel like he had the clout to protest.

Later, in the first season of DS9, he did protest being assigned a dream leprechaun and they rewrote it to be Rumplestiltskin.

This is not a joke.

I did know his making a fuss got that changed, so I suspected he wasn't happy with Up The Long Ladder, but given that I don't know if they'd even called him Chief O'Brien instead of "Transporter Chief" at that point, I wouldn't rock the boat either.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is one of those "ironic" comics that parodies terrible editorial cartoons, right?

Yeah, the comics he does under his real name have a very different tone.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

greatn posted:

First episode of Star Trek I showed her was the one with Abraham Lincoln and Genghis Khan.

That's... interesting, I certainly wouldn't have led off with The Savage Curtain, but I'm glad it worked for you!

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

watched Family Ties last night

farscape: pretty good show

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Echo Video posted:

watched Family Ties last night

farscape: pretty good show

And you're not even at peak Crichton.

Or peak Rygel.

:allears:

peak Crichton is lying on the floor in agony screaming the star spangled banner

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack

armoredgorilla posted:

And you're not even at peak Crichton.

Or peak Rygel.

:allears:

peak Crichton is lying on the floor in agony screaming the star spangled banner
Peak Crichton owns.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
Watching the remastered The Next Generation, and I'm loving it, but for the first time I actually get it when people complain about the difference in 2/4/6 foot models of the D.

And what a time to reach the Unification episodes. I really didn't notice it was this episode until Spock showed up on screen. It almost felt like the first time I saw it, and it was fantastic.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I can still never quite get over what a different show TNG is in its remastered form. Everything being the smoothed out like that and the colors being so smooth and consistent, it's like realizing you had been watching a show through a thick haze of grime and dust caked onto your screen and it's all suddenly been wiped off and everything is amazingly clear or sharp.

Or like your internet had been crapping out and a stream had been on a low bandwdith mode on netflix, and it just kicked into HD and everything suddenly kicks into coherency and look perfect.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

kaworu posted:

Or like your internet had been crapping out and a stream had been on a low bandwdith mode on netflix, and it just kicked into HD and everything suddenly kicks into coherency and look perfect.

The first scene in the entire show looks like it was made for the HD remaster.
I'm talking about where there's a longshot closing in on the Enterprise. It zooms in on the captain's ready room, and Picard steps out of the shadows. It's a beautiful shot!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

tastychicken posted:

Watching the remastered The Next Generation, and I'm loving it, but for the first time I actually get it when people complain about the difference in 2/4/6 foot models of the D.

I knew about the 4 and 6 foot models, but I had no idea a 2 ft model existed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

tastychicken posted:

The first scene in the entire show looks like it was made for the HD remaster.
I'm talking about where there's a longshot closing in on the Enterprise. It zooms in on the captain's ready room, and Picard steps out of the shadows. It's a beautiful shot!

How do Data's boobs look in HD

Sadly another thing, like the skant, that was dropped after the pilot

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How do Data's boobs look in HD

Sadly another thing, like the skant, that was dropped after the pilot

I thought that was just really bad padding for his pecs, like the shoulder padding Wil Wheaton got.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I knew about the 4 and 6 foot models, but I had no idea a 2 ft model existed.

It was rarely used. Its most notable appearance is the shot of the Enterprise approaching a Starbase in 11001001.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

kaworu posted:

I can still never quite get over what a different show TNG is in its remastered form. Everything being the smoothed out like that and the colors being so smooth and consistent, it's like realizing you had been watching a show through a thick haze of grime and dust caked onto your screen and it's all suddenly been wiped off and everything is amazingly clear or sharp.

You know, I bought that "The Next Level" trial balloon blu-ray when it came out, partly out of curiosity but mostly because there were about five different times in old Trek threads where I wrote that the TOS remasters were cool but there was no possible way that Paramount would ever embark on remastering TNG because reasons. I felt it was my little "welp, you showed me" gesture. And it was nice and all, but I wasn't that blown away.

Maybe I'll give it another try and just get season 3 or something.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Those chairs that Data and Wesley sit in to pilot the ship are uncomfortable as poo poo; I experienced them first-hand at the bridge recreation/Star Trek Experience.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gonz posted:

Those chairs that Data and Wesley sit in to pilot the ship are uncomfortable as poo poo; I experienced them first-hand at the bridge recreation/Star Trek Experience.

Which ones? I think the design changed between the first and second season, or maybe it was the second and third season. They were originally more reclined like in that picture, but then later were made more upright.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The first season chairs look like those ugly gaming chairs that were all the rage ten years ago.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Which ones? I think the design changed between the first and second season, or maybe it was the second and third season. They were originally more reclined like in that picture, but then later were made more upright.

The ones that were more upright; many back aches were likely to be had in those later chair designs.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The first season chairs look like those ugly gaming chairs that were all the rage ten years ago.

All that's missing is a cup holder and a speaker in the seat.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Think of how efficient Data would be at cleaning cheeto dust.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the Stargate thread, because it doesn't really belong there:

SPOILERS FOR STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE: TRIP DIES BECAUSE HE PLUGS TWO EXTENSION CORDS TOGETHER

(hilariously someone made a video tribute to him set to Kelly Clarkson and spelled his name wrong in both the title and the description)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Total newbie to Star Trek but I decided to try jumping into The Original Series. I figured after Leonard Nimoy's death now it would be a good time to start.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BigRed0427 posted:

Total newbie to Star Trek but I decided to try jumping into The Original Series. I figured after Leonard Nimoy's death now it would be a good time to start.

Godspeed and good luck to you. Feel free to come back here and let us know what you think as you watch the show! We love that kind of first impression report 'round these parts.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

jng2058 posted:

Godspeed and good luck to you. Feel free to come back here and let us know what you think as you watch the show! We love that kind of first impression report 'round these parts.

I was thinking of making a new thread or something about a newbie's look at Star Trek, from TOS to the new movies. I'm only on Charlie X so far. 1) This episode is SUPER, :spergin: awkward 2) Is this suppose to be Star Trek's version of It's a Good Life?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Watching Agents of SHIELD, and the early show is kinda poo poo but the setting is one I'd actually quite like adapted into a Star Trek series - the show's set on a big cool plane with onboard labs and offices and lounge and quarters and cars in the back. The thing's permanently flying around out in the field and the home to a team of a half a dozen or so that zooms around as a rapid response and investigation team.

(Although it's basically a Star Trek craft anyway:

)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BigRed0427 posted:

I was thinking of making a new thread or something about a newbie's look at Star Trek, from TOS to the new movies. I'm only on Charlie X so far. 1) This episode is SUPER, :spergin: awkward 2) Is this suppose to be Star Trek's version of It's a Good Life?

1) It was the '60s, man. You've barely sniffed the awkward from a 21st century perspective.

2) Wished into the cornfield? Yeah, pretty much. Early Trek liked to play the omnipotent godlike beings card. This one's the Godlike Teenager. There will be others.

You can do just fine posting your reviews and thoughts about your journey through Trek here...we've got a couple of goons who've been doing that very thing with Deep Space Nine, as a matter of fact.

But if you want your own thread to avoid spoilers in, like the way Occupation's doing with Doctor Who, that's certainly your prerogative. Just make sure to post a link here so the rest of us can find it.

• Locked thread