Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

MA-Horus posted:

It could be worse. It could always be worse.

It could be Wainwright. Or Shilo.

CFB Painwright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish

Frosted Flake posted:

I think there's a lot of cases of ADHD that go unreported/undiagnosed, for example. I think the official policy is that since that would require treatment with ritalin or whatever, and since you can't be supplied with it in the field, nobody with ADHD can join the military. That's pretty clearly not the case, but I guess it's easier to just never tell anyone than for the military to make reasonable accommodations for guys that have proven they can do the job.

Treated ADHD is no different than having high blood pressure and being medicated for it. You are probably right about passing on your file if you have diagnosed ADHD prior to join, but once you're in they won't kick you out for having it.

I'm being treated for ADHD and THE only thing that is different for me is a more "in depth" screening if im deployed. So basically it's my doctor that decide if I can go or not the same as somebody that have to take pills for high blood pressure or cholesterol. As for getting pills in the field, it's really easy to get enough pills to last the whole exercice since most of them are a month or shorter these days. If not, medics do pills run on base or they just send you to base MIR for your refill. Same as a woman with birth control pills would manage.

I think you are right about having alot of unreported/undiagnosed in the military. There's alot of things in the military life that suit an ADDer perfectly. Beside drill, which I find totally exhausting there's nothing I can't do.

Frog 1.0 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 18, 2015

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

flakeloaf posted:

In a vacuum, it's not a bad gig. You basically can't be fired as long as you don't get hurt, you'll learn all kinds of neat stuff (some of it even useful), the benefits are good, a lot of the people you'll meet are rock fuckin solid human beings, and even if your career is a steaming heap a pension of 65% of a corporal's wage is enough to live on if you're not a total idiot.

If you're unable to work in an environment that doesn't give your accomplishments any validation and you can't stand the idea of a barely literate man child, who was only promoted to his current rank because some other section got sick of his poo poo and wanted him gone, jerking you around with temper tantrums because he thinks your life should suck as much as he thinks his life did, look elsewhere.

This is it in a nutshell. Some of the best and worst people I've ever met are soldiers. I think most of the good ones burn out and either release or turn bitter.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
So a general contractor (dynamics, atomic... ill keep it breezy) dropped in to do a bit of one on one post-2014 annual reporting, and after the analyst meeting, we got talking shop. One thing that came up was I guess the CAF had a Ask on Predator B & C's back in 2006, and to this day executive could never quite figure out why Canada declined to jump on a demo program.

Originally, the F-35 was to be a standard NATO combat plane, but 35 has very little cold weather performance or multirole abilities which fit a standard year in the Canadian wilds. So at best, Canada was always assumed to go with a token 10 to 15 F-35's for when NATO calls Canada up to do support stuff (like helping kill Gaddafi), but for home work, and 80% of NATO coalition led adventures, Canada would field the standard 2 support and MAYBE 1 landing force, or a niche role by being official recon/air support for the NATO standing planners. Post Ops Archer, when Canada was doing serious retooling and strat. planning for what the 2020+ forces would look like, plenty of pitchbooks were drafted where 2 solutions were proposed: 1. F-18 would either be replaced with a SuperHornet with beefier engines that cold cold start in -20 C, or 2. cook up 3 drone wings which would showcase how the more menial tasks not intercepting Ruskies that could be offloaded to a chairforce.

This made sense, but somehow it seems despite everyone from Germany to US special situations embracing the concept, Canada just stopped calling them back. So I wouldn't mind hearing what GIP thinks on this tall tale.

The way I see it, and correct me if I'm wrong; Canada has a poo poo ton of geo to cover, and for coast patrol / long range flights CF-18's are overkill/under qualified both due to the cost per flight and limited combat ability when carrying 2 fuel pods. Esp vs. anything post-Flanker 28.

SO:
Without getting too gritty on the details, can any GIP CF's (air?) come up with a good reason why the Air spergs turned down the offer? Or am I missing something really simple (don't say signal range).

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 18, 2015

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Drones are pretty good for a lot of things, but they're not great for all things. If we wanted to launch Hellfires at everything, sure. Reapers can carry 2 JDAM or Paveways apparently but that's about it aside from Hellfires, and those aren't cheap. Apparently LockMart is building them just about as fast as they can due to demand. Payload just isn't there quite yet on drones but it will be within 20 years, and the worst thing we could have done is be an early adopter into drone technology. Imagine what would happen 20 years down the road if we had something like an early model Reaper as our primary force projection, with the way the technology is advancing? What if some defense against the datalink is created, and we send them into combat and "oops we just lost half of our drones because someone remote uploaded goatse" and before you go and say "that'll never happen", it's already been proven that the datalink is vulnerable.

And if we went with some drone wings, who takes care of interception/interdiction? Do we let the Americans do that? If so, farewell to thee sovereignty.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 18, 2015

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Samu posted:

This is it in a nutshell. Some of the best and worst people I've ever met are soldiers. I think most of the good ones burn out and either release or turn bitter.

Or get hurt and get hosed over by the medical system and then Veteran's Affairs.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Today I discovered that reservists qualify for regular benefits under employment insurance. They just need to hop on a class b for the summer, apply for pogey in the fall and wait out till spring and summer for the next contract.

It's lobster fishermen with guns, making 30k a year sitting at home doing sweet gently caress all and showing up at the armoury for parade nights, still be able to go to school full time because infantry has no civilian equivalent so they have re-train themselves :downs:.

Mother of god, just disband it all and start from scratch.

Peace, mother fuckers. I'm out.

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 19, 2015

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Moose Jaw :smith:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Moose Jaw isn't so bad! It has a Smoke's Poutinerie downtown, and it's 45 minutes from Regina, the city that rhymes with fun~

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title

Canuck-Errant posted:

Regina, the city that rhymes with fun~

Which is about the best part of Regina. Seriously, what the gently caress is that place even?
So glad I won't go back because I don't fit in Harvards.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....

Sir John Eh posted:

Which is about the best part of Regina. Seriously, what the gently caress is that place even?
So glad I won't go back because I don't fit in Harvards.

What's the actual size restrictions for pilots, anyway?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Apparently all Reserve Artillery is grounded since the barrels of C3s are starting to crack.

Not like this could have been avoided or predicted when the carriages, trails and recoil mechanisms started to break a decade ago.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Frankie! posted:

What's the actual size restrictions for pilots, anyway?

No hard limits, I'm pretty tall and leggy. It's proportions. There are some defined weight restrictions for ejection seat (Harvard, 240lb naked). Hawk is very small though limits were expanded a bit recently, and you can do the T-38 course in the USAF optionally if you want to wait around for a slot.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

Apparently all Reserve Artillery is grounded since the barrels of C3s are starting to crack.

Not like this could have been avoided or predicted when the carriages, trails and recoil mechanisms started to break a decade ago.

When I was getting out was when this was discovered. The plan then was to give the mo's the LG1s and mothball the c3

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 16, 2017

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
LpGood luck haha. If you get Cold Lake, hope you like hunting, fishing, Camping, or other related activities because that's about the only thing to do

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Rumours of someone running out of the classroom crying when the CWO of the school announced her posting to Cold Lake are somewhat exaggerated.

(It was more of a speedwalk)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

When I was getting out was when this was discovered. The plan then was to give the mo's the LG1s and mothball the c3

:stare:

There's not anywhere enough Lg1s to go around are there? What then, mortars?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MA-Horus posted:

:stare:

There's not anywhere enough Lg1s to go around are there? What then, mortars?

I think buying a buttload more was part of the proposed plan.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The story I heard was some bean counter from DND had a meltdown when the techs and contractors told him over a quarter of the guns are write-offs and there's one spare barrel in the inventory.

So they better hurry up with those LG1s/M119s/120mm Mortars/Whatever.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

It could be worse. It could always be worse.

It could be Wainwright. Or Shilo.

Or Gagetown, or Meaford, etc. etc.

Seriously, Borden is small and boring but its not a hellhole like some other bases.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

The story I heard was some bean counter from DND had a meltdown when the techs and contractors told him over a quarter of the guns are write-offs and there's one spare barrel in the inventory.

In my head, I'm trying to decide if a bean counter meltdown looks like table flipping or is more like "dude stops talking, blankly stares, and gets up and leaves in silence, never to be seen again".

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

The C3 frames are so loving old I'm surprised they lasted this long

My unit fought tooth and nail to keep their guns when a bunch of other units got switched to mortars, pulled some "senior regiment" bullshit.

Odds are they'd be first in line for LG1s thanks to politics even if they don't deserve them.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Nobody wants a 21 mortar salute. ;p

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Vadoc posted:

Nobody wants a 21 mortar salute. ;p

I'd take one if they were 60's fired from the hip :v:

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Never look at the training plan in the first week. NEVER look at the training plan in the first week :eng99:

350 classroom hours, 30 sim hours, 70 flying hours. What am I doing.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....

compressioncut posted:

Never look at the training plan in the first week. NEVER look at the training plan in the first week :eng99:

So you're saying Top Gun lied to us?

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007

compressioncut posted:

PHII? Those class hours actually go pretty quick, if you really like aerodynamics.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
So, uhhh... apparently the CAF recruiting policy is a lot like a shady car dealership trying hard to make end of month numbers. Anyone that's really been waiting for too long, end of fiscal is when the magic happens. And by magic, I mean making offers to people on a Wednesday, enrolling them Thursday and flying them out to St-Jean on Saturday. :getin:

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015
Just flew to CFS Alert, I have so much respect for people who stay there for their 3 or 6 month rotations. I completely understand why there is 2 drinking establishments for a population of 40.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Simkin posted:

making offers to people on a Wednesday, enrolling them Thursday and flying them out to St-Jean on Saturday. :getin:

Don't you toy with my heart like this :smith:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I know I'm a little late for medication chat, but I just got a prescription for Adderall from base pharma, so I guess you can get that while you're in.

Still don't know about recruiters raking people over the coals over ADHD though.

e: Recruiting season always bums me out because they use civies to fill a lot of spots that could go to CTs.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I don't know about something like adhd, that's a medical question, and what the RMO decides basically might as well be the word given by the Wizard of Oz. :iiam:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
You mean the Sorting Hat?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

ughhhhhhhhhh

stop breaking the guns you idiots

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
We lost an extremely good soldier and great guy yesterday boys. Have a drink or do some squats for him.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

mdivi posted:

We lost an extremely good soldier and great guy yesterday boys. Have a drink or do some squats for him.

RIP, Sgt Doiron. lovely break.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Just saw that on the news. I can't say I personally knew him, but I'm thankful of what he was doing. I just spent the last hour rereading my notebooks on ancient near eastern (pre-islamic) art, and then looking at news sites detailing all the looting and destruction of world heritage sites by those goat fuckers in Syria and Iraq. I'm glad at least some small part of our army is able to do something to counter that. Civil war is one thing, but some of those places were ancient even before the Romans rolled through.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
At first, it sounded like a recce det got lit up coming back from a patrol. Now, the Kurds are saying some story about them "not staying in the car" and they had "no business being where they were". Pardon me for being skeptical about claims from a middle-eastern government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Well while I have this question on my mind how stupid would I be to become a reservist resource management clerk?