Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sickening posted:

6: The candidate that smelled of marijuana so strongly that didn't get past the waiting room.

"proactive stress management skills". Put him in the "maybe" pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

I can't recall the name of the company at the moment, but last year I spoke with a recruiter about a position in the Ops group for a large Singaporean retail chain. Their Ops team is 100% remote by design and includes engineers from several different European and Asian countries as well as the US. They are also running everything on NixOS which is super interesting.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sickening posted:

1: The candidate that badmouths his previous boss 50% of the interview.
2: The candidate that didn't shave or iron.
3: The candidate that lied about having a degree.
4: The candidate that seems like they are doing us a favor.
5: The totally made up resume guy.
6: The candidate that smelled of marijuana so strongly that didn't get past the waiting room.
7: The candidate that never showed up after confirming.
8: The candidate who is so nervous and can't be talked out of being nervous.

I had a guy show up today wearing a button down shirt, slacks, and a wallet chain/stud belt/sweatband like he was shopping for business casual @ Hot Topic or something.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The best thing about these stories is these guys have already gotten past the resume sorting and at least one phone interview.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Man goons are judgmental. Most of the best engineers I've worked with or hired have been in some way counter-cultural. The best automation engineer I've put on my team had huge ear plugs and facial tattoos. My tireless Ops Lead popped horsepill anti-psychotics every few hours at the insistence of his watch alarm. And if I fired everyone that obviously smoked weed I'd have been left with like 3 dudes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
In an increasingly interconnected world, it's probably a bad idea to get too hung up on facial tattoos or piercings. What are you going to do if your top candidate is Maori? What if you're looking for a programmer and one candidate has a number of piercings on her face which are totally acceptable where she's from.

You might be depriving yourself of the best candidates.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What are you going to do if your top candidate is Maori?

I think it's safe to say 95% 99% of HR Americans would rather say "do not hire" than attempt to figure out what box to check on the EEO forms because they don't want to ask what a Maori is.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Another poster spoke about this in one of the past IT Threads but if you got in the right startup, it grows big or bought-out you potentially stand to make an obscene amount of money.

While this is true, good luck picking the 0.001% of startups that get bought for billions by Facebook/Google/MS. You have about as good a chance of simply winning the lottery.

And even then, unless you were a founder or very early employee, you're not going to be in the group buying private Carribean islands. You could still make out well, but not "obscenely" well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MagnumOpus posted:

Man goons are judgmental. Most of the best engineers I've worked with or hired have been in some way counter-cultural. The best automation engineer I've put on my team had huge ear plugs and facial tattoos. My tireless Ops Lead popped horsepill anti-psychotics every few hours at the insistence of his watch alarm. And if I fired everyone that obviously smoked weed I'd have been left with like 3 dudes.

I find it inspiring that you office culture allows that sort of thing. I honestly do. The issue I find is that there is no way that any of the people you describe are getting past the CFO for the final check. The powers that be that write the paychecks aren't going to applaud us for finding candidates that live more alternative lives. Weed also just doesn't fly in Texas yet and the corporate culture doesn't support it.

Call me judgmental all you want, but the people I bring in to progress farther into this hiring process are going to reflect on me. I have a vested interest in a candidate coming in here and succeeding in more ways then just fixing computers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

I find it inspiring that you office culture allows that sort of thing. I honestly do. The issue I find is that there is no way that any of the people you describe are getting past the CFO for the final check. The powers that be that write the paychecks aren't going to applaud us for finding candidates that live more alternative lives. Weed also just doesn't fly in Texas yet and the corporate culture doesn't support it.

Call me judgmental all you want, but the people I bring in to progress farther into this hiring process are going to reflect on me. I have a vested interest in a candidate coming in here and succeeding in more ways then just fixing computers.

Coming to an interview reeking of anything is unacceptable, no matter how progressive you are. If that something happens to also be illegal, then I don't see how anybody could defend it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I interviewed a guy once who must have emptied an entire bottle of axe body spray on his head right before walking in.

It was like a comedy scene where he leaned further and further over the table as I kept backing away until bumping against the back wall with nowhere to go.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
There is a big difference between cultural body modifications and Bad Decisions Rob Lowe.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Does anyone use Dynamics AX on VMware? We are having some challenges with a potential partner would love some real world experience / thoughts.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
It's Tuesday and I've already replaced 4 Windows XP machines this week and have a couple more scheduled for tomorrow. :toot:

Purging the building of old-and-busted computers feels nice for some odd reason.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
I moved out to the bay area to jump on some of the crazy stuff going on out here. I'd say it's worth throwing out an absurdly high number just to see if someone bites. The weather out here is pretty awesome and there are parts of the bay area where even 150k a year can get you a pretty decent place to live in a nice area. It won't be downtown San Francisco but if you've got any sort of family life you wouldn't want to live there anyway.

Just ask for the moon and start from there.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

It's Tuesday and I've already replaced 4 Windows XP machines this week and have a couple more scheduled for tomorrow. :toot:

Purging the building of old-and-busted computers feels nice for some odd reason.

I love how rock solid a 2008 R2+ level domain is with only Windows 7+ clients

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

While this is true, good luck picking the 0.001% of startups that get bought for billions by Facebook/Google/MS. You have about as good a chance of simply winning the lottery.

And even then, unless you were a founder or very early employee, you're not going to be in the group buying private Carribean islands. You could still make out well, but not "obscenely" well.

Without a doubt it's extraordinary unlikely, spoke a little too quickly but one can dream :allears:

As far as work culture goes you don't show your crazy tattoos, fashion accessories nor should you be intoxicated legality non-withstanding. This isn't being judgmental it's plain professionalism.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Docjowles posted:

The best advise I've heard about working for startups is that you shouldn't take options in exchange for below-market wages unless you're a founder. If they don't have funding to pay you a market rate they probably don't have the funding to execute. If they do get funding, it will probably reduce the value of your options significantly.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

The best advise I've heard about working for startups is that you shouldn't take options in exchange for below-market wages unless you're a founder.

How come?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MagnumOpus posted:

Came in here to see how long it was before someone came in white-knighting goony goons. Didn't make it even halfway down the second page.

Tattoos and piercings are whatever. But if someone can't be hosed to wear clean clothes or be sober for a job interview, what does that say about them?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

psydude posted:

Came in here to see how long it was before someone came in white-knighting goony goons. Didn't make it even halfway down the second page.

Tattoos and piercings are whatever. But if someone can't be hosed to wear clean clothes or be sober for a job interview, what does that say about them?

May the goon without neckbeard throw the first stone.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sickening posted:

May the goon without neckbeard throw the first stone.

I've got a pretty gnarly beard going on right now, but I'm gunning for an interview for a Jr. Storage Engineer position. That beard is gonna be gone if I get a call.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e^^^: I went with a trimmed beard, blazer, jeans, and Redwings to my last interview because I had to go to my current (soon to be former) job afterward and didn't feel like changing out of a suit. I still looked professional because my shirt was pressed, I got rid of the neckbeard, and I wasn't intoxicated. It's the little things.

At my last three jobs, I've seen so many people gently caress things up due to their having poor people skills that it negated any positive contribution from their technical skills.

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 4, 2015

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Tab8715 posted:

How come?

Literally the next sentence that you quoted.

To restate:
if they can't pay you market, they're not serious (can't get angel/seed/vc funding and unlikely they'll make it to acquisition/IPO.)
If they can pay you market but are choosing not to now, why would you think they would pay you in the future, when every dollar they pay you for your options is a dollar that comes out of the founders and the funders' pocket?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a pretty gnarly beard going on right now, but I'm gunning for an interview for a Jr. Storage Engineer position. That beard is gonna be gone if I get a call.

Sorry but shaving a full beard for an interview is pretty lame. Just trim it up nice.

At my last interview one of the dudes interviewing me had a bigger beard than I did.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

8: The candidate who is so nervous and can't be talked out of being nervous.
This was me for my first couple of interviews last year. I like to think I'm better now. At least I hope I am, I don't want to be job hunting for another 9 months like last time.

e: I should probably look for a new interview suit, pretty sure my old one is too small now. 38 reg is kind of pushing it at 200.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 1, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm getting tired of the permissive attitude towards marijuana in the workplace. Dudes come in smelling like a goddamned Grateful Dead concert and nothing happens. poo poo, actual bags of weed have been found on desks and reported and still nothing is done. I get it, attitudes towards weed are changing, but just because it isn't out and out illegal in some states doesn't mean it's appropriate in the workplace. Jim Beam's legal too, but it wouldn't make me any less fired if I went around smelling like booze all the time or got caught sneaking a drink on the clock.

Also the attitudes are changing a lot faster than the laws, and given how civil forfeiture works, you're a loving idiot if you knowingly let people have drugs at work.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I might have my first IT job since going back and getting a 2nd bachelors in IT. It involves a lot of phone calls but its a 20k salary increase from what I'm doing now and I have the opportunity to work from home when Im up to speed :v:

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

psydude posted:

I wouldn't hire someone who couldn't be arsed to wear some clean clothes to an interview. That's a choice that tells me something about the effort I can expect them to bring to their work. Same thing with smelling like weed. Weak effort. But facial tattoos, piercings, and other lifestyle choices? My reactions to those only tell me about my own prejudices.

Not more than a single page back we were talking about work/life balance. The problems that cause burnout arise from the status quo assumptions about the worker/employer relationship. They are the the effects of expectations that are not challenged by those with the power to change them. If the status quo assumptions are not challenged, how do you expect anything to change?

I am lucky enough to have been hiring people who sit in offices and never interact with customers who might be spooked by freedom to make one's own life choices. I also hold a personal belief that professionalism should extend only to the execution of your work and not how the prejudices of others cause you to be evaluated for your personal choices. And you really do have to be the change you want to see. So I put my professional reputation on the line because I feel very strongly about it. Has that meant I've had an uphill battle at times? Definitely. But I've also had some amazing professional success working with people who would otherwise not have received the chance to shine that I gave them.

I judge what goes into my racks based on what I've observed about performance and reliability, not the sales pitch or how sexy the case is. I've judged people the same way and my observation is simple: I have had way more problems with performance, effort, and enthusiasm from the status quo sorts than from the folks with quirks. Maybe they are trying harder because I'm offering more lucrative opportunities than they usually see. Maybe there's some loyalty because I gave them a chance. I like to think that it's simply that the character traits that led them to making counter-cultural choices, despite the prejudice that invites, also make for people who are confident and solid under pressure. Who can say? But until that empirical evidence starts being refuted, I'm going to continue basing my choices on facts rather than perception.

MagnumOpus fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 4, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

MagnumOpus posted:

I wouldn't hire someone who couldn't be arsed to wear some clean clothes to an interview. That's a choice that tells me something about the effort I can expect them to bring to their work. Same thing with smelling like weed. Weak effort. But facial tattoos, piercings, and other lifestyle choices? My reactions to those only tell me about my own prejudices.

Not more than a single page back we were talking about work/life balance. The problems that cause burnout arise from the status quo assumptions about the worker/employer relationship. They are the the effects of expectations that are not challenged by those with the power to change them. If the status quo assumptions are not challenged, how do you expect anything to change?

I am lucky enough to have been hiring people who sit in offices and never interact with customers who might be spooked by freedom to make one's own life choices. I also hold a personal belief that professionalism should extend only to the execution of your work and not how the prejudices of others cause you to be evaluated for your personal choices. And you really do have to be the change you want to see. So I put my professional reputation on the line because I feel very strongly about it. Has that meant I've had an uphill battle at times? Definitely. But I've also had some amazing professional success working with people who would otherwise not have received the chance to shine that I gave them.

I judge what goes into my racks based on what I've observed about performance and reliability, not the sales pitch or how sexy the case is. I've judged people the same way and my observation is simple: I have had way more problems with performance, effort, and enthusiasm from the status quo sorts than from the folks with quirks. Maybe they are trying harder because I'm offering more lucrative opportunities than they usually see. Maybe there's some loyalty because I gave them a chance. I like to think that it's simply that the character traits that led them to making counter-cultural choices, despite the prejudice that invites, also make for people who are confident and solid under pressure. Who can say? But until that empirical evidence starts being refuted, I'm going to continue basing my choices on facts rather than perception.

:golfclap:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MagnumOpus posted:

I don't care about visible tattoos and piercings, though I think both are idiotic life choices which indelibly brand someone as lacking foresight, a strong sense of self, and an understanding of the basic underpinnings of the social contract (insofar as every choice you make inevitably nullifies future possibilities, and making those particular choices makes it incredibly unlikely that you'll end up in a customer-facing or customer-visible position at the vast majority of companies). Somebody's made an intentional choice which says "I don't want to be part of your system". Which is fine. But they can also expect not to be in presales or board level positions, etc.

Still, I'd hire them for jobs as admins or whatever. But your faux magnanimous position about the "worker-employee relationship" and the "status quo" misses the point. Even if we grant that "independent-minded" people are less likely to kowtow to demands to work longer, long working hours and burnout aren't the status quo, or even part of it. You're an asset to the business.

In general, people who work until burnout do it because they have a dysfunctional relationship with work, which you can't identify, fix, or mitigate based on whether or not they belong to any subculture. Or because they have a desperate need to stand out in some way (draw your own connections with people who have "look at me!" literally inked on them).

Also, potentially unstable people are a business risk. That's not "status quo" either. Hiring someone who openly uses illegal substances and comes to work or interviews under the influence isn't being "big" or forward-thinking. It's knowingly hiring someone who makes stupid decisions which may jeopardize their status as a worker (risk of jail time, car accidents, catastrophic mistakes at work because they're high, etc).

Bravo for your whole stance, but I can't agree in any way. People are people, and you shouldn't judge them for what they are, but you can judge the choices they make and use them to draw conclusions.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

evol262 posted:

You're an asset to the business.

This is where we disagree. I think you're a person, not an asset. I don't care about the business. It is a construct of our civilization that exists to pay a small amount of money to workers a side effect of paying a large amount of money to someone that already had it to begin with. I have zero motivation to support that and it doesn't deserve anything from me or the other members of the working class that it exploits.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I, too, hold strong beliefs that IT people should be allowed to reek and look gross

mewse
May 2, 2006

evol262 posted:

I don't care about visible tattoos and piercings, though I think both are idiotic life choices which indelibly brand someone as lacking foresight, a strong sense of self, and an understanding of the basic underpinnings of the social contract (insofar as every choice you make inevitably nullifies future possibilities, and making those particular choices makes it incredibly unlikely that you'll end up in a customer-facing or customer-visible position at the vast majority of companies).

That is a pretty long winded and pretentious way of contradicting the very beginning of your sentence

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mewse posted:

That is a pretty long winded and pretentious way of contradicting the very beginning of your sentence

If you can't tell the difference between personal preference and personal opinion of views of hiring managers, then it might absolutely seem that way.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

Literally the next sentence that you quoted.

To restate:
if they can't pay you market, they're not serious (can't get angel/seed/vc funding and unlikely they'll make it to acquisition/IPO.)
If they can pay you market but are choosing not to now, why would you think they would pay you in the future, when every dollar they pay you for your options is a dollar that comes out of the founders and the funders' pocket?

I understand that if they can't pay you market they won't make it in the real world but what does it matter if they're coming out of the founder(s) pockets? It's not like they can force you to not sell your options, etc

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 4, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm not hiring Poor Choices Rob Lowe sorry

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

mewse posted:

Sickening pretty much got it, but I, personally don't care and people can do whatever they want. When evaluating a candidate, though, different values come into play. I don't own my own company. I work for other people. I am not representing myself. And what's acceptable in personal life is not desirable in professional life.

MagnumOpus posted:

This is where we disagree. I think you're a person, not an asset. I don't care about the business. It is a construct of our civilization that exists to pay a small amount of money to workers a side effect of paying a large amount of money to someone that already had it to begin with. I have zero motivation to support that and it doesn't deserve anything from me or the other members of the working class that it exploits.

This whole "but I'm a person, not an asset!" thing is absurd. You don't care about the business? You shouldn't be hiring for the business or managing business assets, including employees.

If you want to do the whole "workers of the world unite" thing, don't participate in the system. But you can't be a participant and active member of a "construct of our civilization" and pretend you're subverting the injustice of it by hiring potential risks while at the same time following the party line enough to be in a position where you get to make those kinds of decisions. Admit that you're part of this "construct of our civilization" which values group identity (which is, anthropologically, every single human society). Own it. It's the choice you've made.

People are people. They are also assets to your team and assets to the business. There's no dichotomy there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Waaaah, I'm not a resource...