Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Fellow job-having goons: How do you get over your crushing misanthropy and general apathy to actually apply for something and act excited in order to get it?

Also, does anyone else have the lingering suspicion that most of office work in America could be done by like 3 people total?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

also: someone running for student government president told the college republicans that he supports campus concealed carry and told the university democrats he doesn't. nice job bro

I don't know anything about college student government but is that a thing the student president would have any input into whatsoever?

bradburypancakes posted:

Also, does anyone else have the lingering suspicion that most of office work in America could be done by like 3 people total?

see also: most non-office work in america

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 4, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

bradburypancakes posted:

Fellow job-having goons: How do you get over your crushing misanthropy and general apathy to actually apply for something and act excited in order to get it?

ah, i see you're applying for grants

issue with only having 3 staff: who do you blame?

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

My Imaginary GF posted:

issue with only having 3 staff: who do you blame?

Those miserable fuckers that set you out to suffer on this god-forsaken planet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
has a student government ever done anything

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

bradburypancakes posted:

grade A bullshitting

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

I don't know anything about college student government but is that a thing the student president would have any input into whatsoever?

see also: most non-office work in america

our student government can lobby the legislature since we're like three blocks away but otherwise not really. it's just a litmus test

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_university_reform_of_1918

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

Our is doing a lot of things, actually.

Badger of Basra posted:

our student government can lobby the legislature since we're like three blocks away but otherwise not really. it's just a litmus test

It's good times living in the State capital. :smaug:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Nintendo Kid posted:

my highschool student govt got us reduced priced tickets to hershey park

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

nutranurse posted:

my highschool student govt got us reduced priced tickets to heresy park

:twisted:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

phonepostin

heresy park wouldve been cooler tho

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

bradburypancakes posted:

While it's not ideal to hit a point where you just have goons sit around being paid to post, ideally you want enough staff that everyone who is working doesn't need to be 100% mission efficient with no down time for nine hours straight because then people go crazy and mistakes start happening.

But don't worry, a lot of managers came to your same conclusion during the recession and were able to cut positions and whittle down staffs to skeleton crews but the job market was so uncertain it wasn't like anyone could go anywhere else for a job (if you had a job).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Watching RoboCop 2 now. Robocop? More like Robocreep!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Our is doing a lot of things, actually.

like??

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

While it's not ideal to hit a point where you just have goons sit around being paid to post, ideally you want enough staff that everyone who is working doesn't need to be 100% mission efficient with no down time for nine hours straight because then people go crazy and mistakes start happening.

But don't worry, a lot of managers came to your same conclusion during the recession and were able to cut positions and whittle down staffs to skeleton crews but the job market was so uncertain it wasn't like anyone could go anywhere else for a job (if you had a job).

once when i was doing temp work one summer i got was supposed to do office work for some random company (punch data into excel spreadsheets) but... it had already been done. the completed work was, like, right there on the computer on the first day i was there and no one seemed to notice.

so for like 2 weeks i got paid to post because i squirreled that loving project away onto my thumbdrive and gave it back to them at the end of my contract

am i proud of that moment? nah, not really, but at the same time middle managers can be really bad at their job.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

Berke Negri posted:

I wasn't really talking in any sort of "gently caress the employees" sense but okay! It's just that my current job permits me ample time to gently caress around on the internet, and the vast majority of the people I work with are inefficient wastrels who waste my valuable posting time by calling meetings that result in no action items. See: http://strikemag.org/bullshit-jobs/

Actually, maybe I think we should just fire everyone!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Everyone should be given bullshit jobs until we get to the point of just paying everyone to be alive, or doctors, I agree.

Edit: Sorry if I came off a little combatative there. You're right, most office work is set up with unrealistic expectations. I think most offices could use more people in them, but working 9-5 is unnecessary for a lot of places.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 4, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

[REDACTED]

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 4, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Berke Negri posted:

Everyone should be given bullshit jobs until we get to the point of just paying everyone to be alive, or doctors, I agree.

It won't be too much longer before we have robot docs that are better than people.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

Berke Negri posted:

Edit: Sorry if I came off a little combatative there. You're right, most office work is set up with unrealistic expectations.

It's cool, we agree on some points :unsmith:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It won't be too much longer before we have robot docs that are better than people.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

i, too, watched big hero 6

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

hey it opened the door didn't it :colbert:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

now imagine that, but its your body

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
my work question: best way to cope with being reassigned to a nonsensical job because the government is composed 100% of dumb cocksuckers

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jagchosis posted:

my work question: best way to cope with being reassigned to a nonsensical job because the government is composed 100% of dumb cocksuckers

:justpost:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bradburypancakes posted:

It's cool, we agree on some points :unsmith:

http://io9.com/5983991/computers-are-better-at-diagnosing-and-treating-patients-than-doctors

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/04/health/quest-to-eliminate-diagnostic-lapses.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The software's almost there already.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 4, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

the answer to all things relating to workboredom is to

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

if it means doctors lose their inflated wages then im all for it

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

Jagchosis posted:

i, too, watched big hero 6

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cga/bighero6/#Build1

which leads to..

:stonk:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

nutranurse posted:

booooo

it's a bit more than work boredom though, i am skilled in financial regulation, but i procrastinated on something and as punishment now i am put in intelligence against my consent. nothing about my life makes sense anymore.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nutranurse posted:

doctors hate using checklists and medical software that automatically determines drug interaction issues and poo poo a lot, but it turns out once oyu force them to do it on penalty of firing they make way less mistakes and the practice/hospital ends up liable for a lot less poo poo

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I'm sure that in the year 3000 when we have the secrets of our fabulous star engines and matter forges, society will still force you ride a stationary bike for 8 hours a day for access to the power of the cosmos. We are just pathologically unable to decouple hours worked from the inherent worth of a person.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
youtubes of robot infantry kills is going to be hosed up and crazy and I'm gonna watch 'em all

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I'm sure that in the year 3000 when we have the secrets of our fabulous star engines and matter forges, society will still force you ride a stationary bike for 8 hours a day for access to the power of the cosmos. We are just pathologically unable to decouple hours worked from the inherent worth of a person.

to be fair itd be a great way to combat obesity

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

imagine the wall e society minus fat people it would own

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

whats the problem with a nuclear energy iran, constantly inspected, and how is it any more dangerous than a nuclear armed israel, which doesnt even declare its nuclear arsenal?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

i sure don't but there's apparently whole facebook groups devoted to get angry about hbo changing poo poo

also i agree i like the TV version quite a bit, it's amusing and well done

The show is mostly better than the books, because it actually has editors and people who filter out Daeny having daenyhrrea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

TEAYCHES posted:

whats the problem with a nuclear energy iran, constantly inspected, and how is it any more dangerous than a nuclear armed israel, which doesnt even declare its nuclear arsenal?

objectively isnt we're just bitches of our terrible client state in the middle east

• Locked thread