Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TEAYCHES posted:

whats the problem with a nuclear energy iran, constantly inspected, and how is it any more dangerous than a nuclear armed israel, which doesnt even declare its nuclear arsenal?

because then the right doesnt get to use one of its boogeymen anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

nutranurse posted:

now imagine that, but its your body

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hey it opened the door didn't it :colbert:

Still probably better than most military doctors.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I support an Iranian nuclear deterrent to Israeli aggression

all the sadder that Mossad agrees that they arent even doing that

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i hope iran's government falls to a revolution in my lifetime.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
a lot of people don't want Iran to have nukes because then Saudi Arabia would get them and then use them because Wahbbists are fucknuts crazy.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

whats the problem with a nuclear energy iran, constantly inspected, and how is it any more dangerous than a nuclear armed israel, which doesnt even declare its nuclear arsenal?

There's a fear in the government and in the US in general that Iran is a revisionist state that actually believes what people like Ahmadinejad say. Of course, in reality, Iran is a very cool-headed, realist-minded, non-ideological state - not a very nice one, but what are you gonna do. The point is, if Americans realized that a nuclear Iran probably wouldn't nuke Israel, or the US, or anyone, it wouldn't be as contentious an issue - especially if they realized that a state that can build a peaceful nuclear reactor can't automatically also build a nuclear weapon.

Americans don't know how nuclear poo poo works, and that's a bigger issue than is automatically obvious.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TEAYCHES posted:

I support an Iranian nuclear deterrent to Israeli aggression

all the sadder that Mossad agrees that they arent even doing that

That's not what Mossad said in those memos at all. It would be nice if people bothered reading the full thing instead of just going off the conclusions Al Jazeera and the Guardian came to.

ETA: Also, isn't there another thread for this rubbish?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

i hope iran's government falls to a revolution in my lifetime.

I don't because the ME has enough failed states with out Iran cluttering up the mix. If I want anyone gone it's the loving Saudis.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

There's a fear in the government and in the US in general that Iran is a revisionist state that actually believes what people like Ahmadinejad say. Of course, in reality, Iran is a very cool-headed, realist-minded, non-ideological state - not a very nice one, but what are you gonna do. The point is, if Americans realized that a nuclear Iran probably wouldn't nuke Israel, or the US, or anyone, it wouldn't be as contentious an issue - especially if they realized that a state that can build a peaceful nuclear reactor can't automatically also build a nuclear weapon.

Americans don't know how nuclear poo poo works, and that's a bigger issue than is automatically obvious.

lmbo

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

I don't because the ME has enough failed states with out Iran cluttering up the mix. If I want anyone gone it's the loving Saudis.

I'd like to see them both go, but if I had to pick one, it'd be Iran because I'm smart.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Iranian head of state didn't just try to undermine the President and imply that 88 million people are insane retarded uncontrollable barbarians hell bent on the destruction of all life on earth.

Iran: 1 Israel: 0

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

The Iranian State is ready to launch into full jihad, watch Khamenei start a loving nuclear war.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

what loving planet do you live on

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

I'd like to see them both go, but if I had to pick one, it'd be Iran because I'm smart.

I don't see what's smart about that. Iran has democratic institutions ready for a revamp. Saudi Arabia has a monarchy in an uneasy truce with a theocracy fueled by oil revenues, which are slowly dropping. Iran is the pro pick here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Venom Snake posted:

The Iranian head of state didn't just try to undermine the President and imply that 88 million people are insane retarded uncontrollable barbarians hell bent on the destruction of all life on earth.

That's a really stupid comparison. I mean, it's one thing to say that Israeli and American policies towards Iran are stupid, it's another thing to ignore them funding Hezbollah and other terrorist/national liberation groups, in some case straight-up terror (unless blowing up Jewish cultural centers is "resistance").

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

They're also inching ever closer to calling it the United States instead of the Great Satan. Progress!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

Yeah because Iran killed 3,000 Americans and pushed us into a war that killed 1 million Iraqi's.

Oh wait.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

"bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran" - united states presidential candidate. death to america

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Volkerball posted:

They're also inching ever closer to calling it the United States instead of the Great Satan. Progress!

whats the end game other than constant ratcheting up of rhetoric and saber rattling

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't see what's smart about that. Iran has democratic institutions ready for a revamp. Saudi Arabia has a monarchy in an uneasy truce with a theocracy fueled by oil revenues, which are slowly dropping. Iran is the pro pick here.

Do they really tho. When the people's revolution starts sending people to the guillotine, i doubt they will spare the assembly of experts so that they can elect a new supreme leader

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa whats up with this page

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's a really stupid comparison. I mean, it's one thing to say that Israeli and American policies towards Iran are stupid, it's another thing to ignore them funding Hezbollah and other terrorist/national liberation groups, in some case straight-up terror (unless blowing up Jewish cultural centers is "resistance").

Neither Israel nor Iran could in any capacity can be called cool headed. But so far only 1 has attempted to gently caress the United States, and it's not Iran.

Volkerball posted:

Who cares what they call it, the ayatollah isn't actively attempting to disrupt US elections.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
iran stands a reasonable chance of a civilian/normal military coup to eliminate the parasitic religious apparatus and military

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

Yeah because Iran killed 3,000 Americans and pushed us into a war that killed 1 million Iraqi's.

Oh wait.

:stare:

TEAYCHES posted:

whats the end game other than constant ratcheting up of rhetoric and saber rattling

i don't know but there's a balance between not just being aggressive for sake of it and not being neville chamberlain

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

please tell me this part of a game

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Volkerball posted:

i don't know but there's a balance between not just being aggressive for sake of it and not being neville chamberlain

wait so are we talking about modern iran 2015 or nazi germany 1938

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

:stare:

How is negotiating a deal with Iran being Neville Chamberlain? And Saudi Arabia had royalty that directly funded the 9/11 attackers, and then pushed us to go to war with Iraq because "Saddam Hussein will invade ANY DAY NOW".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

the end game is dialing back the rhetoric and saber rattling and letting the ME states continue their influence wars amongst themselves without using nuclear weapons

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Remember how everyone thought North Korea would nuke Japan and South Korea the minute they got the bomb?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

wait so are we talking about modern iran 2015 or nazi germany 1938

we're talking about a country that currently has soldiers and militias in syria and iraq slaughtering civilians and propping up dictatorial regimes, and that helped overthrow the government in yemen to set up another one. and that's just within the last few months. ksa like, gave bahrain money and gave guns to the islamic front.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the end game is dialing back the rhetoric and saber rattling and letting the ME states continue their influence wars amongst themselves without using nuclear weapons

that is not at all going to happen, and is a silly fiction.

as time goes forward nuclear capability is easier and easier, no one can stop Iran other than an invasion. Iran should be a natural ally, they should be friends, not our enemies.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Jagchosis posted:

booooo

it's a bit more than work boredom though, i am skilled in financial regulation, but i procrastinated on something and as punishment now i am put in intelligence against my consent. nothing about my life makes sense anymore.

Leak classified documents, become a goon superstar, cozy up to a foreign strongman and live the rest of your life straight balling

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Volkerball posted:

we're talking about a country that currently has soldiers and militias in syria and iraq slaughtering civilians and propping up dictatorial regimes, and that helped overthrow the government in yemen to set up another one.

wait so are you talking about the United States or Iran?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Venom Snake posted:

Neither Israel nor Iran could in capacity be called cool headed. But so far only 1 has attempted to gently caress the United States, and it's not Iran.

:rolleyes:

An Israeli prime minister mucking around in US politics through speeechhesss is not at that level, sorry.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

we're talking about a country that currently has soldiers and militias in syria and iraq slaughtering civilians and propping up dictatorial regimes, and that helped overthrow the government in yemen to set up another one. and that's just within the last few months. ksa like, gave bahrain money and gave guns to the islamic front.

There isn't an irony cat big enough.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

that is not at all going to happen, and is a silly fiction.

as time goes forward nuclear capability is easier and easier, no one can stop Iran other than an invasion. Iran should be a natural ally, they should be friends, not our enemies.

i don't think we should be friends with any sectarian government thats response to opposition politics is to kill everyone, personally

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

this bracket was designed by an idiot, the tiny amount of people that are so influential even i recognize their names are nowhere near the top seed positions

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Volkerball posted:

i don't think we should be friends with any sectarian government thats response to opposition politics is to kill everyone, personally

good joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

An Israeli prime minister mucking around in US politics through speeechhesss is not at that level, sorry.

Bibi literally campaigned for Obama's replacement. That's some prime loving right there.

• Locked thread