Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
oh are we on the "obama is no different than bush, bad things don't happen anywhere unless the us does them" kick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't see what's smart about that. Iran has democratic institutions ready for a revamp. Saudi Arabia has a monarchy in an uneasy truce with a theocracy fueled by oil revenues, which are slowly dropping. Iran is the pro pick here.

I think most people would prefer a strategic alliance with Iran over the one we have with the Saudis, frankly. Including the brass.

You got equivalently bad regimes where one of 'em is competent and one of em is a weirdly baroque welfare state that uses its incredibly expensive military as a dumping ground/hobby club for bored, unemployable minor noblemen.

It is too bad switching to the Iranians would make it incredibly difficult to maintain a decent working relationship with every non-saudi sunni regime in the ME

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

please tell me this part of a game

It's marx madness.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Venom Snake posted:

Bibi literally campaigned for Obama's replacement. That's some prime loving right there.

How many Americans did he kill in the process? Are you reading yourself? Jesus loving Christ, get some loving perspective.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

we're talking about a country that currently has soldiers and militias in syria and iraq slaughtering civilians and propping up dictatorial regimes, and that helped overthrow the government in yemen to set up another one. and that's just within the last few months. ksa like, gave bahrain money and gave guns to the islamic front.

you're really teeing us up for a usa comparison here

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Volkerball posted:

oh are we on the "obama is no different than bush, bad things don't happen anywhere unless the us does them" kick?

a nuclear iran would stabilize the middle east

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is this thread going to be the unliscensed basement fight club for other thread slapfights.

ILL SEE YOU IN THE CHAT THREAD

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

lets here assume that volkerball, an idiot, believes that iran is Evil and will nuke Israel because Reasons which will never be explained

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

i don't think we should be friends with any sectarian government thats response to opposition politics is to kill everyone, personally

Agreed, we must stop all support to Israel.

Volkerball posted:

No, were on the "don't throw stones if you live in a glass house".

I mean, funding TERRORISM!? Outrageous! *quietly sweeps the entire cold war under the rug*

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

cuba is still listed as a state sponsor of terrorism lol~

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TEAYCHES posted:

A successful deal with Iran will lead to stability without them having nukes. So it seems better than what you're... offering? Suggesting? I don't know. It sure as hell is better than Bibi's "we could get a better deal and everybody can have a pony."

zoux posted:

Is this thread going to be the unliscensed basement fight club for other thread slapfights.

When hasn't it been? :confused:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I'd be interested in hearing why you think I'm wrong.:)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Badger of Basra posted:

Is that terrorism Baseball-related?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zoux posted:

*pushes over your books*

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TEAYCHES posted:

yes giving iran an even bigger dick to swing with it as it fucks around in the disasters the US left will surely stabilize the region

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How many Americans did he kill in the process? Are you reading yourself? Jesus loving Christ, get some loving perspective.

Israel has killed more Americans than Iran has.

I'm not saying Israel is as bad as Iran, but Israel has no high ground to stand on if they want to talk about who is a bigger friend to the US. Iran at least knows that they can't gently caress with us because they are 10 steps away from an Invasion with all the chickenhawks in congress.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

lets here assume that volkerball, an idiot, believes that iran is Evil and will nuke Israel because Reasons which will never be explained

Iran is Lawful Evil, dumb people just think it's Chaotic Evil.

(Cefte thinks it's Lawful Good because Cefte is a silly-billy)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

someone should tell bibi not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good, doesn't he know anything about modern democrats

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TEAYCHES posted:

i don't think they'll do anything to israel. the issue to me is that the left and dems are moving towards this reconciliation with iran idea, and it's largely based around a really stupid premise: that iran is cool and good, and if we be friendly to them, cool and good things will happen. we can totally crush terrorist groups who rose up specifically over oppression from iran and its proxies by just helping iran oppress them harder. a sustainable, long term solution that will in no way end poorly.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

general staff wonks still salty over Angola

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

i don't think they'll do anything to israel. the issue to me is that the left and dems are moving towards this reconciliation with iran idea, and it's largely based around a really stupid premise: that iran is cool and good

Bzzzzt, wrong.

It's based around the idea that you can do business with them. Not that we've ever done business with an evil regime ever in the past no sir.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

grauniad headline:

Are all atheists simply angry, or just the ones to whom you're listening?

who loving let that go through

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Volkerball posted:

i don't think they'll do anything to israel. the issue to me is that the left and dems are moving towards this reconciliation with iran idea, and it's largely based around a really stupid premise: that iran is cool and good, and if we be friendly to them, cool and good things will happen. we can totally crush terrorist groups who rose up specifically over oppression from iran and its proxies by just helping iran oppress them harder. a sustainable, long term solution that will in no way end poorly.

Our current iran strategy is a failure, im for detente

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yes giving iran an even bigger dick to swing with it as it fucks around in the disasters the US left will surely stabilize the region

because iran is a natural regional power and has have a sphere of influence like any other powerful nation on this dumbass world

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
People want to reconcile with Iran because the Cold War is over and acting like we have some sort of obligation to hate certain countries is loving stupid.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

"the ones to whom you're listening"????????

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Volkerball posted:

confronting the iranians with hostility and militarism, going with the israelis and assuming iranians are awful villains in the bibi sense, that is the worst possible outcome for nation that is not that

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Bzzzzt, wrong.

It's based around the idea that you can do business with them. Not that we've ever done business with an evil regime ever in the past no sir.

do you support doing business with evil regimes, or is it cool to just be like "well, we've done it before, so it's w/e"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TEAYCHES posted:

because iran is a natural regional power and has have a sphere of influence like any other powerful nation on this dumbass world

You probably shouldn't post in the Eastern Europe thread, people there see the phrase "sphere of influence" as a profanity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't really believe in evil regimes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Venom Snake posted:

Israel has killed more Americans than Iran has.

:raise:

quote:

I'm not saying Israel is as bad as Iran, but Israel has no high ground to stand on if they want to talk about who is a bigger friend to the US. Iran at least knows that they can't gently caress with us because they are 10 steps away from an Invasion with all the chickenhawks in congress.

So you're saying Iran is better because it's been terrorized more? The policy you're pushing is for the US to be an equal-opportunity terrorizer, then?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux posted:

I don't really believe in evil regimes

I mean except israel

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

if the Iranians are not developing nukes, they should, because if they don't the United States and Israel might consider a war.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

do you support doing business with evil regimes, or is it cool to just be like "well, we've done it before, so it's w/e"

Who cares if they are evil, yeah obviously the solution to an evil regime is to isolate it and sanction it into oblivion, because the Korea's have been united for 50 years now.

You can work with a government with out directly endorsing it's actions. You can also use said new found relations to push the country in a better direction.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

We are doing business with Saudi Arabia. The way in which we are doing business with them gives them 0 motivation to change. Any attempt at liberalization would collapse their whole social structure.

Meanwhile, Iran has democratic institutions. It has regular elections, and term limits. Some autocrats stay in power, but they can be pushed back into a Supreme Court-like role with the appropriate public pressure. They have better potential to become a democracy than Saudi Arabia does. Their economy is also much more diverse, and one part of the push towards nuclear power is to reduce dependence on oil. As Middle Eastern partners stand, they're a good choice.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Obama couldn't even say mean things to Maliki when he was purging opposition politicians. Starting a war with Iran is something he is not capable of doing.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TEAYCHES posted:

if the Iranians are not developing nukes, they should, because if they don't the United States and Israel might consider a war.

we must secure the existence of our nukes and a future for persian children

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:raise:

So you're saying Iran is better because it's been terrorized more? The policy you're pushing is for the US to be an equal-opportunity terrorizer, then?

No, I'm saying that Iran doesn't gently caress with the US because Iran isn't actually run by insane lunatics like Bibi would have you believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Let's stop fighting and party like it's page 1999 tonight.

• Locked thread