Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
A dreadlocked man high fived me after witnessing that I only have $4.20 on my Go Card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

A dreadlocked man high fived me after witnessing that I only have $4.20 on my Go Card.

Did everyone else stand up and clap?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mithranderp posted:

Did everyone else stand up and clap?

No, but the communal bong was pulled out and everyone did a cone

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland mate.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In other QLD news I was waiting in the emergency department of the RBH and a guy wearing a bandanna asked me for a couple of bucks for a coke and I gave it to him and he immediately just up and left and never came back in the 3 hours I spent waiting there.

I mean I can rationalize a way he wasn't just hanging around the emergency department trying to scam change from suckers like me but I think its just more reasonable to assume it was a more sophisticated variation of the "need some change to catch a bus" bit

drowned in pussy juice fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 4, 2015

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The Tettersals club is a gentleman's club in brisbane.

http://www.trybooking.com/Booking/BookingEventSummary.aspx?eid=122790

The QLD LNP is hosting an international women's day function there...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Queensland mate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THInLmziG_g

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Kommando posted:

The Guardian article is awesome, and by awesome I mean that I want to cry.

quote:

The Queensland Liberal National party women’s group will hold its international women’s day event at a “men only” members club with the vice president questioning why it can’t be respected when men want something for themselves.

LNP Women has sent out invitations to its lunch in Brisbane on Friday at Tattersall’s, a 150-year-old club that invites $1,000 a year memberships from among the business and political elite – unless they are women.

LNP Women vice president Peta Simpson said the decision to celebrate international women’s day at a men’s only club came down to two factors: Tattersall’s represented the best value, and was the ideal forum to protest an establishment stacked against women’s political participation.

“I’ll speak only for myself here because I’m the person who made the final decision,” Simpson told Guardian Australia.

“At the end of the day, point blank, we made a decision on price. We booked it through one of our women members. And what better place to, I guess, rage against the establishment than in the establishment.”

Speakers at the lunch are state LNP MP Fiona Simpson, who called for a change in the party’s aggressive political style after the Newman government’s election defeat, federal Nationals president Christine Ferguson, and Lyn Truss, a community advocate and wife of deputy prime minister Warren Truss.

Peta Simpson said the LNP Women were about “supporting and promoting women’s interest in the political process” and its choice of speakers reflected the group’s view that “there’s more than one way to influence politics”.

Simpson hastened to say the event itself would not involve any criticism of the venue itself.

“At the end of the day men are men and women are women and I know increasingly in society the lines are getting blurred,” she said.

“But how can we celebrate international women’s day knowing that there’s not an international men’s day – and then when the men do want to have something that’s for themselves, we can’t respect it?”

Asked if she would personally change Tattersall’s men only members policy, Simpson said she would abide by what members in a members’ club wanted but would certainly seek to “influence what the members thought”.

“One of the constraints on women’s engagement in the political process is obviously the pre-existing structure, as well as unconscious bias,” Simpson said.

The phrase “unconscious bias” was used by Queensland appeal court president Margaret McMurdo when questioning the Newman government’s apparent favouring of male judicial appointments in a speech last year.

Those observations led to McMurdo coming under political attack in what supreme court judge Roslyn Atkinson last month said were “scandalous personal comments made about the president by politicians”.

Simpson is right, it's wrong of women not to respect that men want to keep the patriachy to themselves.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

50 cent and Tone Def Loc combine to bring you the LNP's greatest hit, Canberra Love:

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

ewe2 posted:

50 cent and Tone Def Loc combine to bring you the LNP's greatest hit, Canberra Love:

Thanks for reminding me this existed!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ewe2 posted:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Simpson is right, it's wrong of women not to respect that men want to keep the patriachy to themselves.

c yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyt jtjtjtjttjutjtjjtutjtyjyj7

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

That is amazing.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Kommando posted:

Prime Minister for Women and Malfunctioning Robot Tony Abbott was VERY excited about this

quote:

This is just how wonderful this broad church that I lead is. Just how wonderful the broad church that I lead is.

Obviously they've now broken down the last barrier and they've made the men only club admit women! Admit women.

Isn't that fantastic at last! They've admitted women and they've done it on International Women's Day because of the Liberal National Party, smashing the glass ceiling yet again! Yet again we're smashing the glass ceiling.

I say congratulations and thank God that bastion of old fashioned chauvinism has finally collapsed like the walls of Jericho at the trumpet cry of the Liberal and National Party. Good on you!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

fiery_valkyrie posted:

It's like reddit in real life.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

There's no way the desperate, sweaty look with those strands of hair falling over the forehead while leaning over a map ISN'T a Downfall reference. Subtlest :godwin: of all time.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
New first dog:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Rougey posted:

Thanks for reminding me this existed!

gendered slur, 0/10 and reported

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Seemlar posted:

Prime Minister for Women and Malfunctioning Robot Tony Abbott was VERY excited about this

Wow that's real. Wtg Abbott, leading all those women to the promised land.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

katlington posted:

Wow that's real. Wtg Abbott, leading all those women to the promised land.

lol wait that was a legit quote :psyduck:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

"chicks, this is a great day for you. The Tattersall Club now allows birds to enter the premises. So I guess now that my job of achieving gender equality is done I will step down from the job of Minster for Women and close the Ministry entirely."

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/lnp-hosts-international-womens-day-lunch-at-menonly-club-20150304-13ux5s.html

I too thought it was fake.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

fiery_valkyrie posted:

The best way to protest multinationals is by having a sit in at a McDonald's except you all buy a meal from there to eat while having the sit in imo

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Pickled Tink posted:

New first dog:

:nallears::words::words::words::words::words::words:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

markgreyam posted:

lol wait that was a legit quote :psyduck:

Hahahaha hooooly poo poo. Unbelievable. So much of this has happened lately, my girlfriend wouldn't believe me about the plans to cut the census.

Satire is dead, buried, and cremated.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Pickled Tink posted:

New first dog:

posting fdotm is a bannable offence

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

keep complaining, I'm sure one day magic will happen

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Almost 700 koalas have been culled in the Cape Otway area of western Victoria because of "overpopulation issues", the state's Environment Minister said.
The secret cull was done under the previous Liberal government in 2013 and 2014 near the Great Ocean Road.
The koalas were captured and sedated before being put down by wildlife officials.

Maybe we should have a secret LNP cull?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Seemlar posted:

I am having trouble believing that this is an actual thing a person said in real life, but I guess it's true.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

Almost 700 koalas have been culled in the Cape Otway area of western Victoria because of "overpopulation issues", the state's Environment Minister said.
The secret cull was done under the previous Liberal government in 2013 and 2014 near the Great Ocean Road.
The koalas were captured and sedated before being put down by wildlife officials.

Maybe we should have a secret LNP cull?

:(

cant they just relocate them? this is pretty poo poo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can someone please make a FDOTM loss edit?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

No way that's a real quote...anyone have a video?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
ICAC is hosed

quote:

In a tense morning in the High Court, lawyers for the NSW corruption watchdog have faced a grilling over its controversial inquiry into Crown prosecutor Margaret Cunneen and earned a rebuke from the bench for failing to have key documents on hand.

A five-judge bench of the High Court convened in Canberra on Wednesday to hear an appeal brought by the Independent Commission Against Corruption against an order shutting down its inquiry into the high-profile silk.

The court was forced to adjourn half an hour early for lunch as the ICAC's lawyers scrambled to compile additional documents for the bench.

"I don't think I've ever seen this kind of scrappy hand-up before," Chief Justice Robert French said.

In a sign the ICAC may face an uphill battle persuading the court to allow the investigation to proceed, its legal team faced tough questions from the bench about whether the commission was acting within its powers.

At the heart of the Cunneen investigation is the allegation that Ms Cunneen, 56, advised her eldest son's girlfriend to feign chest pains to avoid a police breath test at the scene of a car crash.

Ms Cunneen denies the allegations and took legal action in the Supreme Court last year to shut down the investigation on the basis the ICAC was acting outside its statutory powers to investigate "corrupt conduct".

She lost the case in the Supreme Court, but she immediately appealed against the ruling and a 2-1 majority of the Court of Appeal found in her favour.

That decision triggered an appeal by the ICAC to the High Court.

The High Court bench - Chief Justice French and Justices Kenneth Hayne, Susan Kiefel, Stephen Gageler and Geoffrey Nettle - questioned whether the alleged conduct was capable of amounting to corrupt conduct.

The ICAC Act defines corrupt conduct as including any conduct of a private citizen which "could adversely affect" the exercise of a public official's functions. It says the conduct could involve criminal offences including perverting the course of justice.

All three Court of Appeal judges agreed the conduct alleged in the Cunneen case could amount to perverting the course of justice. But the majority said it could not "adversely affect" the exercise of a police officer's functions because there was no suggestion the police officer acted dishonestly or partially.

The chief justice of NSW, Tom Bathurst, disagreed with the majority and said it was sufficient "the conduct had the potential effect of diverting the police officer from the performance of an investigation into a suspected crime".

Jeremy Kirk, SC, for the ICAC, said the definition of corruption was focused on "external forces" and a private citizen could seek to bring about a corrupt outcome without a public official acting dishonestly or partially.

"In NSW any telling of lies to a policeman ... would, on this basis, be corrupt conduct," Justice Nettle asked.

Mr Kirk said this would only be the case if it amounted to perverting the course of justice.

The commission's lawyers have sought to bolster their argument with reference to the way the Act has been amended by Parliament over time.

They were criticised for failing to have copies of the legislation at various points in history available for the bench.

"The legislative history is next to useless without the text," Justice Stephen Gageler said.

Chief Justice French, pointing to the "present state of disorder in the presentation of materials", adjourned the case at 12.15pm to give the ICAC time to compile the documents. The hearing resumes at 2pm.

Don't piss off the High Court.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Can someone please make a FDOTM loss edit?

Loss Edits are almost entirely based around the pathetic imagery of the original Loss.jpg.

First Dog.

Imagery.

No.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Shadeoses posted:

I am having trouble believing that this is an actual thing a person said in real life, but I guess it's true.

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...4b0a930cae66e36

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

No way

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
I can't get the timer to work properly for links here but here is the actual video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz7mvx1elNs

watch?v=pz7mvx1elNs&t=3240s

Start at exactly 54 minutes in, that's when Bishop asks for silence so she can hear the answer. Look at Kate Ellis' response.

Just make sure not to watch a moment further because the next question is directed to the angry poodle and no one needs to see that.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

quote:

Human waste left by climbers on Mount Everest has become a problem that is causing pollution and threatening to spread disease on the world’s highest peak, the chief of Nepal’s mountaineering association said Tuesday.

The more than 700 climbers and guides who spend nearly two months on Everest’s slopes each climbing season leave large amounts of faeces and urine, and the issue has not been addressed, Ang Tshering told reporters.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Les Affaires posted:

It just so happens I have the whole thing saved in a word document at home. I can tidy it up, and add some extra bits.

I need some feedback from Auspol though. What would be the best form that something detailed like that would take shape as?

First Dog format, duh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Wait what. I never posted about housing.

• Locked thread