Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Danger Mahoney posted:

Trying to think of a DOS game I played in the mid nineties. It was an action adventure game, medieval setting. 3/4 overhead view, but not isometric, like Crystalis. The only things I remember is you are a man who starts in a cottage and venture out into the woods. It advances a screen at a time, and the woods are kind of a maze, like the lost woods in the nes zelda. Sometimes a wolf would catch up to you and you would have to swipe at it with a very dinky knife that I think was supposed to be a sword. I am about 50% sure it had the word "dark" in the title. The main character sprites were very poor and the walking animation stands out to me as very bad.
Shot in the (hah!) dark, since I never really played it myself but my brother did so I might misremember what it was like, but could it have been Darklands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hey I'm trying to remember a 2000 era robot building/fighting game. You'd be able to build a robot based off of modular parts like extenders and scanners and shields and weapons you could attach to various points and pretty much create any design based off a weight limit. The game was based off of java too if it helps.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ColoradoCleric posted:

Hey I'm trying to remember a 2000 era robot building/fighting game. You'd be able to build a robot based off of modular parts like extenders and scanners and shields and weapons you could attach to various points and pretty much create any design based off a weight limit. The game was based off of java too if it helps.

Is it RoboForge?
http://www.roboforge.altervista.org/data.htm

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

That was it, thank you.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Oh boy, I'm trying to remember the name of the game I read about years and years ago, it's about a time traveling or VR based thief and/or archaeologist. I honestly can't remember much about it except that it was 3D, had this fancy UI with something sleek at the bottom and it would highlight stuff you see and give you info about it, but it was not journeyman project. My memory about this is really vague :(

vvvvvv

Nope, not time commando, the graphics were more basic, must have been at least a few years older than this.

Ledenko fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 26, 2015

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Ledenko posted:

Oh boy, I'm trying to remember the name of the game I read about years and years ago, it's about a time traveling or VR based thief and/or archaeologist. I honestly can't remember much about it except that it was 3D, had this fancy UI with something sleek at the bottom and it would highlight stuff you see and give you info about it, but it was not journeyman project. My memory about this is really vague :(

This one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Commando

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I got it into my head to remember the names of two games I barely remember.

One of them was an isometric game with similar perspective and UI to Fallout, or Silent Storm, but set I think during the Cold War? It was more tactical, and to my knowledge there were no party members. The first mission or the tutorial took place on a train, and I played the game in the mid 2000s, it came free with a Greek PC magazine (PC World I want to say, which I think was founded in 2005 if it narrows it down). I seem to recall a bolt-action rifle as a weapon, but I'm not 100% set on that.

The other one I haven't managed to play, but I remember screenshots detailing a very customizable tank, and similarly very customizable units. I believe it took place during some sort of rebellion, or insurgency, and was possibly a tactical game, or a third person shooter? I don't recall any actual gameplay screenshots, just ones of the customization screens, with the tank having a whole bunch of slots for stuff, and similarly a human with a number of items to be carried/equipped, including a medikit.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
First one might be hammer & sickle? http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/hammer-sickle/screenshots

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I vaguely recall a game that was a 2D fighter (not smash bros) that had large fighting areas with some kind of platforming involved. I think there was enviromental weapons maybe? It was pretty old and I think it was pretty bad, too.

It might've been made fun of in one of slowbeef and Diabeetus' retsupuraes.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

This one is a long shot but it has been bothering me for years now. I had a game that was a 3d platformer for the N64 and the game had an interesting aesthetic. I think one of the main colours was purple and a lot of it was based around vegetables I think? The main characters name Ed or something like that maybe. You used a blowdart weapon you could aim in 1st person and it was most likely a collectathon. Any ideas?

Edit: I am a huge idiot as soon as I finished this post I googled "n64 Ed" and the correct game was the first result. Surprisingly all of the details I gave were correct which is astounding for a game have barely any memory of. The game was Tonic Trouble in case anyone was wondering.

littleorv fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 29, 2015

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Anatharon posted:

I vaguely recall a game that was a 2D fighter (not smash bros) that had large fighting areas with some kind of platforming involved. I think there was enviromental weapons maybe? It was pretty old and I think it was pretty bad, too.

I hope it was this: http://www.mobygames.com/game/savage-warriors

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Anatharon posted:

Perhaps The Outfoxies?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

This is in fact what it was, thanks!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

There was I think a side scrolling 2d game on the N64 maybe that was kind of like whatever that game with the lego headed men comes from. You were a lady of some kind and I think you could control these white guys with OoO faces

What the hell am I remembering?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There was a Nintendo fighting game that was in the same vein as River City Ransom and Double Dragon but ungodly awful. The game was pretty ugly, the controls were total rear end, and the only thing I remember specifically was you would go through this one door and be forced to fight an absolutely enormous, grotesquely obese woman that you just couldn't beat. She just kind of shuffled at you and when she got to you you just died. I'm serious in that she was enormous. She filled most of the screen.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

No not Hammer and Sickle. The graphics looked better than that, and I don't think there was any character creation.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

There was I think a side scrolling 2d game on the N64 maybe that was kind of like whatever that game with the lego headed men comes from. You were a lady of some kind and I think you could control these white guys with OoO faces

What the hell am I remembering?

That sounds sort of like Mischief Makers?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There was a Nintendo fighting game that was in the same vein as River City Ransom and Double Dragon but ungodly awful. The game was pretty ugly, the controls were total rear end, and the only thing I remember specifically was you would go through this one door and be forced to fight an absolutely enormous, grotesquely obese woman that you just couldn't beat. She just kind of shuffled at you and when she got to you you just died. I'm serious in that she was enormous. She filled most of the screen.

Was it NES or SNES? It sort of sounds like my experience with Combatribes on the SNES, though people seem to love it.

Bad Street Brawler was on the NES and looked like crap too. I haven't played it, so I don't know if it has a fat woman boss.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

My guess is Renegade, for NES. It has the big ugly lady, who actually can be beat, I think. :)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

Was it NES or SNES? It sort of sounds like my experience with Combatribes on the SNES, though people seem to love it.

Bad Street Brawler was on the NES and looked like crap too. I haven't played it, so I don't know if it has a fat woman boss.

It was NES. After looking at Bad Street Brawler that wasn't the game.

Chinook posted:

My guess is Renegade, for NES. It has the big ugly lady, who actually can be beat, I think. :)

That might have been the game, actually. It looks similar anyway but I couldn't seem to find the boss I was thinking of. I'm being serious when I say she filled most of the screen. It wasn't Kim from that game and she was drawn to look very fat. She just kind of walked at you slapping at the air and you couldn't get near enough to her to attack her. You couldn't leave the screen, you couldn't get away, and we played the game a lot only to realize that she was literally impossible to beat. Renegade looks like the right game but I couldn't seem to find any videos of that boss so it might not be.

The memories are hazy but that boss sticks out just because of how goddamned absurd it was.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Trying to remember two games that haven't come out yet.

One is a third-person multiplayer action game inspired by Running Man/SMASH TV. The advertised novelty is that a handful of contestants are picked from a pool and given one chance to run through the challenges while the spectators influence the battlefield like The Hunger Games.

The other game takes place in a city where all matter has somehow become digital data. There was a trailer that was just the player walking around low-poly but highly detailed areas in the city.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

al-azad posted:

One is a third-person multiplayer action game inspired by Running Man/SMASH TV. The advertised novelty is that a handful of contestants are picked from a pool and given one chance to run through the challenges while the spectators influence the battlefield like The Hunger Games.

Kill All Zombies?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No, there were no zombies in this. I first heard about it last year on a podcast (might have been Giant Bombcast but could have also been Game Informer's show) during PAX Prime. I'm guessing it wasn't playable but the only thing everyone was commenting on was how they weren't completely sold on the idea of only a handful of players actually being selected to play the game and only given one chance at that. I vaguely remember visiting the developer's website and seeing weird screenshots that were top down, low poly and neon colored.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Trying to think of a DOS game I played in the mid nineties. It was an action adventure game, medieval setting. 3/4 overhead view, but not isometric, like Crystalis. The only things I remember is you are a man who starts in a cottage and venture out into the woods. It advances a screen at a time, and the woods are kind of a maze, like the lost woods in the nes zelda. Sometimes a wolf would catch up to you and you would have to swipe at it with a very dinky knife that I think was supposed to be a sword. I am about 50% sure it had the word "dark" in the title. The main character sprites were very poor and the walking animation stands out to me as very bad.

It sounds like Times of Lore or Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, but those are NES games.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

Thought at first this might have been Alone in the Dark 2 as that had an outdoors garden maze. But wasn't sure of the wolf. Ecstatica had an rear end in a top hat wolf at the start of it that would grab you, hang you up and slap you around so thinking it's probably that?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Saber Wulf? Or some variation on that spelling anyway

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It was NES. After looking at Bad Street Brawler that wasn't the game.

That might have been the game, actually. It looks similar anyway but I couldn't seem to find the boss I was thinking of. I'm being serious when I say she filled most of the screen. It wasn't Kim from that game and she was drawn to look very fat. She just kind of walked at you slapping at the air and you couldn't get near enough to her to attack her. You couldn't leave the screen, you couldn't get away, and we played the game a lot only to realize that she was literally impossible to beat. Renegade looks like the right game but I couldn't seem to find any videos of that boss so it might not be.

The memories are hazy but that boss sticks out just because of how goddamned absurd it was.

Technos (makers of Renegade, River City Ransom, Double Dragon, Combatribes, etc.) has a fight like this in a few other games they did too. But all of the ones I can think of besides what was already mentioned weren't actually released in the US or were on the SNES.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 22, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Second game I was thinking of is else Heart.Break(). Still can't find anything on the running man game without going through literally 40 hours of podcasts.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

Second game I was thinking of is else Heart.Break(). Still can't find anything on the running man game without going through literally 40 hours of podcasts.

Edit: Never mind, I reposted #killallzombies

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

So this is a long shot, but I vaguely remember some kind of wacky fun possibly futuristic arena FPS for Windows (I think) back in probably the early 2000s. I think the characters in the game might have been kids or really dumb looking adults. My memory of this game is super vague. Could also have been on the original Xbox or possibly the PS2? I'm pretty sure the tone/presentation was "fun" and light, as opposed to a lot of darker games like it. And it wasn't Ricochet. Might've been some sort of spin on paintball?

Anyone have any idea here?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kevin Bacon posted:

So this is a long shot, but I vaguely remember some kind of wacky fun possibly futuristic arena FPS for Windows (I think) back in probably the early 2000s. I think the characters in the game might have been kids or really dumb looking adults. My memory of this game is super vague. Could also have been on the original Xbox or possibly the PS2? I'm pretty sure the tone/presentation was "fun" and light, as opposed to a lot of darker games like it. And it wasn't Ricochet. Might've been some sort of spin on paintball?

Anyone have any idea here?

Unreal Tournament? (2k3, 2k4, etc.) That's the obvious answer but I figure you'd recognize something so major.

There were some Nerf FPS games for pc which had kids shooting in them like Arena Blast.

Extreme Paintbrawl is a classic bargain bin 2000-s era FPS, but its pretty garbage.

You have anything else to go on? I mean that could be lots of stuff.... could be Timesplitters on PS2 even.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I would guess Nerf Arena Blast.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Unreal Tournament? (2k3, 2k4, etc.) That's the obvious answer but I figure you'd recognize something so major.

There were some Nerf FPS games for pc which had kids shooting in them like Arena Blast.

Extreme Paintbrawl is a classic bargain bin 2000-s era FPS, but its pretty garbage.

You have anything else to go on? I mean that could be lots of stuff.... could be Timesplitters on PS2 even.

Wow, that was fast! I'm pretty sure it was Nerf Arena Blast. Looks even worse than I remember, and it's older than what I thought too.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Another longshot. Sometime in the 1986-1990 timeframe, I remember playing an arcade game that had an anime/akira-looking style to it, I think. It was sort of sci-fi/futuristic, I think? And I think the gameplay style was very similar to dragon's lair/space ace.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

JPrime posted:

Another longshot. Sometime in the 1986-1990 timeframe, I remember playing an arcade game that had an anime/akira-looking style to it, I think. It was sort of sci-fi/futuristic, I think? And I think the gameplay style was very similar to dragon's lair/space ace.

Time Gal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Gal

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Could also be Esh's Aurunmilla.

Other possibilities are Cliff Hanger, Cobra Command, or Road Blaster. Though none of those are quite sci-fi.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Could it be Wrath of the Black Manta and you're remembering this ugly fella as a woman? Wrath of the Black Manta was pretty awful,

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Trying to remember a game for the original Xbox. It was a fantasy samurai/ninja Japanese third person fighter with destructible buildings and a lot of chopped up bamboo. There were two of them in the series.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Quid posted:

Could it be Wrath of the Black Manta and you're remembering this ugly fella as a woman? Wrath of the Black Manta was pretty awful,

I'm actually kind of wondering if I'm getting that game and Kim from the other one munged up together in my head. I played both games as a child. Yes they were both massively bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Trying to remember a game for the original Xbox. It was a fantasy samurai/ninja Japanese third person fighter with destructible buildings and a lot of chopped up bamboo. There were two of them in the series.

Otogi. Those games ruled.