Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fister Roboto posted:

Another alternative is to go for grade 2 combat materia, which comes from 30-45 gear. At least on Excalibur, Crit2 and Det2 are insanely lopsided, going as high as 100k sometimes.

This is what I do, mainly. Make i35-39 accessories and just blow up the bats/boars in Urth's Gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Thundarr posted:

Anyone noticed unusual levels of RNG poo poo today?

I'd chalk it up to a streak of bad luck but that is some pretty cosmically bad luck.
This is obviously why I can't get my 60th card from any of the possible sources. :unsmigghh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Make sure to take note of the weather and direction you're facing when crafting!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

brokenknee posted:

i'd say he should check his lottery tickets

*sigh* I wish I had this kind of luck irl

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I've been playing the free trial on ps3 for a couple days and I'm enjoying it to a surprising degree. It took me until the pirate dungeon to really get the hang of how astral/umbral and transpose works, but I kind of like the way they adapted the traditional black mage style play beyond "press button receive DPS." The interface for consoles is surprisingly well thought out, too. I'll probably buy in.

kafziel posted:

But I think they've said they want to not have another Arcanist situation, which is a shame.

What is "the arcanist situation"? I'm probably gonna grind up ACN levels after I hit the trial cap for thaumaturgy so I can get the summoner job, is there something I ought to know going in?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

I've been playing the free trial on ps3 for a couple days and I'm enjoying it to a surprising degree. It took me until the pirate dungeon to really get the hang of how astral/umbral and transpose works, but I kind of like the way they adapted the traditional black mage style play beyond "press button receive DPS." The interface for consoles is surprisingly well thought out, too. I'll probably buy in.

What is "the arcanist situation"? I'm probably gonna grind up ACN levels after I hit the trial cap for thaumaturgy so I can get the summoner job, is there something I ought to know going in?

Arcanist is a single base class that unlocks two Jobs - Summoner, a DPS job, and Scholar, a healing job. There are some difficulties and oddities because they share a lot of the same abilities, so they both have to be pet classes and Summoner is the only DPS with a rez and suchlike. Judging by the expansion jobs, where Astrologist, Mechanist, and Dark Knight have no base class and just exist as themselves, they're trying to move away from that model. There are opportunities when you can have the same base class split into multiple directions, but they don't seem to want to pursue them. Ah well.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

mr. stefan posted:

Arcanists are the only class to split into two separate jobs, and that makes it a bit difficult to balance them since tweaking one affects the other

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just a heads up about PS3. It's perfectly fine for early game and well into the time you get to 50, but when you start doing stuff like the Crystal Tower or hunts you are going to see the PS3 chug. I'd recommend upgrading to Ps4 copy later on if you can.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Black Stones posted:

Just a heads up about PS3. It's perfectly fine for early game and well into the time you get to 50, but when you start doing stuff like the Crystal Tower or hunts you are going to see the PS3 chug. I'd recommend upgrading to Ps4 copy later on if you can.

I was planning to buy a PS4 over the summer anyway for Metal Gear Solid 5, and I might be building a PC as well depending on other things, so the PS3 was always going to be a temporary situation.

Duncecap
Jul 30, 2003

wow I managed to sell all my fish for over 100k on the markets, more money than god. Doesn't seem like I can possibly hit the gathering requirements for old fish with regular gear, which I guess means I need to meld, which seems to make no sense from the help. Do I need someone to do this for me?

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Renegret posted:

*sigh* I wish I had this kind of luck irl

if it ain't grand prize it ain't worth bragging about.

dat six digit payout tho....

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Duncecap posted:

wow I managed to sell all my fish for over 100k on the markets, more money than god. Doesn't seem like I can possibly hit the gathering requirements for old fish with regular gear, which I guess means I need to meld, which seems to make no sense from the help. Do I need someone to do this for me?

Right click on a dude and click Request Meld. You need all items on you including the piece of gear you want melded, the materia you want melded in, and a Carbonized Matter of the same grade or higher than the materia.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
you need a crafter of the appropriate type (it'll say on the armor i.e: Materia Melding: Armorer Lv. 50) to meld the materia for you

regular melding always succeeds and fills the empty slots on your gear. overmelding has nuances and there's also stat caps.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

mr. stefan posted:

I was planning to buy a PS4 over the summer anyway for Metal Gear Solid 5, and I might be building a PC as well depending on other things, so the PS3 was always going to be a temporary situation.

Not sure how long the transfer-PS3-license-to-PS4 promotion will carry on but you may want to look into that if you plan on playing this game on your PS4 to avoid having to repurchase the base game.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
Anyone know about that whole deal? I'm moving and decided to sell my PC and play this game on PS4 so I can play TT on the Vita when work sends me out of town.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It ends March 31st.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

brokenknee posted:

if it ain't grand prize it ain't worth bragging about.

dat six digit payout tho....

*waves setzer jacket in face*

(I actually bought the Chocobo barding and the cat minion, gonna save the rest for the turtle mount)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Re: crafting badluck - another guy I know just reported getting NQs on saurian leather 7 times in a row at 98% chance to HQ. The chances of this occurring normally are 0.00000000000128. As that pretty close to the same thing as "this can never actually happen in the entire life of the game" I'm starting to suspect something is legitimately broken in their RNG.

e: chances of it specifically happening 7 times in a row :v: The actual chances of it happening are much higher if still very unlikely. But I like big/small numbers.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 4, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

I didn't have any problem doing LOTA/ST/WOD at all, sans Cerberus' body sometimes taking 5 seconds to reload after being in his stomach. Hunts, though..

Well there's a S-rank and horde there somewhere. On the other hints are awful and you shouldn't do them.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I thought getting three classes to level 15 would help me narrow down my career. It's just made things worse. :negative:

Bah. Going to focus on Arcanist for a while and let my leves build up so I can get Conjuror to 15 quickly and easily. At least then I'll have both a damage and healing job crystal to go later on.

Not planning on mastering all classes?! I question your dedication to this game, poptart_fairy.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

I didn't have any problem doing LOTA/ST/WOD at all, sans Cerberus' body sometimes taking 5 seconds to reload after being in his stomach. Hunts, though..

Well there's a S-rank and horde there somewhere. On the other hints are awful and you shouldn't do them.

doing huntss solo? stop being a bad and get in a group.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

brokenknee posted:

doing huntss solo? stop being a bad and get in a group.

No, I was fishing while waiting for DF and went to watch out of idle curiosity. If I was dumb enough to do hunts I'd do it in a group and also not on the Potatostation 3.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, I was fishing while waiting for DF and went to watch out of idle curiosity. If I was dumb enough to do hunts I'd do it in a group and also not on the Potatostation 3.

try as i might, i cannot fault your logic.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Duncecap posted:

Just fyi, as you get into trying to meld things if you decide to do so use this http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/Fisher to check up on stat caps on melding/chances to break materia on overmelding and other useful things.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GulagDolls posted:

there's zero incentive for anyone ranked high to play anyone ranked low and the ability to choose your opponent means the system will be abused be weird losers

People working together, especially with alts, could game the system so badly. Farm a dozen wins from NPCs, then lose 2-3 with that alt to a designated victor. In fact it looks like one guy in the top 20 is doing that, he has 1440 points and only 11 win 0 losses so far.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
My most recent bit of Forums Safari has led me to people who apparently believe that a PLEX/Chronoscroll/WoW Token system being added to FF14 would be "pay2win" and/or yet another way gilspammers will screw us all.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Evil Fluffy posted:

People working together, especially with alts, could game the system so badly. Farm a dozen wins from NPCs, then lose 2-3 with that alt to a designated victor. In fact it looks like one guy in the top 20 is doing that, he has 1440 points and only 11 win 0 losses so far.

You can almost get that much just winning against elmer 11 times.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
With TT having left me so annoyed regarding the tournament, I've decided to give chocobo racing a try. Any of you veterans got any tips or advice for someone who's done literally nothing but the tutorial?

Percity
Oct 24, 2006

Buying gil for cash isn't pay to win? Granted, you can't do a whole lot with gil other than melded stuff and housing, but it's still using real cash to get poo poo in game.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
me and my friend tried to just cheese out 15 wins with our alts for shantotto next tourney but hosed it up cause plus is the only fair rule :negative:

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Finally doing my relic. Got five books done this weekend because i'm an awful nerd who has nothing better to do.

I have respect for the people who did all this pre nerf. Doing it now is easier, but still kinda a slog. I couldn't imagine waiting hours for fates or having to grind Myth/Sol for the books themselves.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
Unless I am missing something, it looks like you have to actually install the client on PS3 in order to register that version to your account. If you buy the PS3 version on PSN, you never get a code or anything.

Glad I still have a PS3. Easier to just pay the extra $10 for the PS4 version probably.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Fancy Corndog posted:

Unless I am missing something, it looks like you have to actually install the client on PS3 in order to register that version to your account. If you buy the PS3 version on PSN, you never get a code or anything.

Correct. You don't have to patch it, however.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Percity posted:

Buying gil for cash isn't pay to win? Granted, you can't do a whole lot with gil other than melded stuff and housing, but it's still using real cash to get poo poo in game.

What, exactly, are you winning with your paid-for gil, except vast swaths of your free time not spent doing mindless money-making busy work? It's seriously the silliest thing to object to. If some fool wants to convert his real dollars into fake catgirl money that can only scarcely be used in any meaningful way, SE would be stupid to disallow it. The part everyone misses is that this would also result in a way for people with an excess of time/gil to play the game for 'free'.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
This guy is hilarious.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

Percity posted:

I used real cash to get poo poo in game from the already present cash shop. I paid to win.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
gently caress the Chaos rule. Literally the worst rule in TT.

I'd rather play Random all day long than loving Chaos.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress the Chaos rule. Literally the worst rule in TT.

I'd rather play Random all day long than loving Chaos.

I prefer chaos, honestly. The AI seems to gently caress up more when it's forced to use cards in a random order.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I wish Excalibur would open up so I could actually try playing on a server I might stay on. I can only level to 20 on so many catgirls ( ok like 2 so far) before I want to settle down and actually buy the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Percity posted:

You aren't buying gil for cash, though. You're buying, effectively, a month of subscription in a can which can then be sold to other players. There's a distinct difference, though easy to miss if you don't think it through.

• Locked thread