Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I don't support the existence of an independent israel because I am not ready for the End Times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TEAYCHES posted:

if the Iranians are not developing nukes, they should, because if they don't the United States and Israel might consider a war.

Actually it seems that Mossad thinks they've decided that it is in fact much more dangerous for them to actively develop them right now, although they are retaining the know-how and have a lot of precursors in the wings. I think the bigger problem with going to war with them is that the US doesn't have the stomach for it and Israel doesn't have the capacity.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

we must secure the existence of our nukes and a future for persian children

i will argue against iranian nuclear technology when israel declares their own and signs the non-proliferation agreement

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PupsOfWar posted:

I don't support the existence of an independent israel because I am not ready for the End Times

Well, you shouldn't have posted on P2K!!!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
two thousand zero zero party's over whoops out of time

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TEAYCHES posted:

i will argue against iranian nuclear technology when israel declares their own and signs the non-proliferation agreement

So you will never have an independent opinion about Iran because the Middle East is a pissing match with Israel for you?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

2000 page post

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

Obama couldn't even say mean things to Maliki when he was purging opposition politicians. Starting a war with Iran is something he is not capable of doing.

lol

Are you at least capable of admitting we should drop the sanctions and travel bans?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We are doing business with Saudi Arabia. The way in which we are doing business with them gives them 0 motivation to change. Any attempt at liberalization would collapse their whole social structure.

Meanwhile, Iran has democratic institutions. It has regular elections, and term limits. Some autocrats stay in power, but they can be pushed back into a Supreme Court-like role with the appropriate public pressure. They have better potential to become a democracy than Saudi Arabia does. Their economy is also much more diverse, and one part of the push towards nuclear power is to reduce dependence on oil. As Middle Eastern partners stand, they're a good choice.

I don't think "public pressure" would affect change in Iran any more than it did in Syria. Both of those governments are going to have to be straight up overthrown. The difference is that in Iran, you have a westernized public sympathetic to ideals of freedom who's government would be a good one, and in KSA, regardless of what most Saudi's feel about the situation, jihadist militias will be the strongest forces and the beneficiaries.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Let's stop fighting and party like it's page 1999 tonight.

LOL, that post was so immaculately placed. :golfclap:

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So you will never have an independent opinion about Iran because the Middle East is a pissing match with Israel for you?

in the sense that its a powerplay, sure. having your own independent opinion out of context of that is pissing into the wind

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volkerball posted:

I don't think "public pressure" would affect change in Iran any more than it did in Syria. Both of those governments are going to have to be straight up overthrown. The difference is that in Iran, you have a westernized public sympathetic to ideals of freedom who's government would be a good one, and in KSA, regardless of what most Saudi's feel about the situation, jihadist militias will be the strongest forces and the beneficiaries.

Okay, this post is peak ME thread. Chapeau!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

lol

Are you at least capable of admitting we should drop the sanctions and travel bans?

idk. it's a touchy situation. things definitely need to change, but it's volatile, and ever inch we step back is an inch the iranian government can step forward.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Volkerball posted:

do you support doing business with evil regimes, or is it cool to just be like "well, we've done it before, so it's w/e"

its a bit loving late to pretend we wont cheerfully give handshakes and hi-5s to literally the most dreadful examples of humanity on the planet, so pursuing an objectively stone retarded policy like putting iran on endless sequence of double-secret sanctions because "oh, well, theyre bad", as if its going to change anything instead of just ossifying the power structure of scowling beardmen that are doing the awful things you complain about, is stupid

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

posting on page 2000

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

You just went from 0 to insane in under 10 posts. Yeah obviously the solution to Iran's current issues is violent revolution.

wait a minute...

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

zoux posted:

2000 page post

:toot:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The End Times are nigh! Probate everyone who participated in this ME derail. I am willing to sacrifice myself if it means other suffer too. Spite is the driving force in the ME right now, so it is very fitting.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
hey remember how clapping our hands over our ears and chanting LALALALA SAAAANCTIONS NOOOO DIPLOMATIC RELLAAAATTTIIOONS FOR YOUUUU totally put an end to human rights abuses in cuba

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
zoux has a higher than 3:1 post to page ratio. Makes you think.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

whatever happens this deal with iran needs to go through. this is the most western-friendly administration you will ever loving hope for in Iran

outside of these negotiations, how would it ever go better for israel? we are negotiating with the best possible partners in this time. the deal reached will be flawed but the alternative is, ultimately, war

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The End Times are nigh! Probate everyone who participated in this ME derail. I am willing to sacrifice myself if it means other suffer too. Spite is the driving force in the ME right now, so it is very fitting.

Kyooooooooooon~:sax:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

paranoid randroid posted:

hey remember how clapping our hands over our ears and chanting LALALALA SAAAANCTIONS NOOOO DIPLOMATIC RELLAAAATTTIIOONS FOR YOUUUU totally put an end to human rights abuses in cuba

And it would have been liberated too, if it wasn't for this sudden lifting of sanctions and normalization of relations.

THANKS OBAMA!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, you shouldn't have posted on P2K!!!

aw gently caress

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

its a bit loving late to pretend we wont cheerfully give handshakes and hi-5s to literally the most dreadful examples of humanity on the planet, so pursuing an objectively stone retarded policy like putting iran on endless sequence of double-secret sanctions because "oh, well, theyre bad", as if its going to change anything instead of just ossifying the power structure of scowling beardmen that are doing the awful things you complain about, is stupid

or instead of people saying "hey how about we hold iran to the same lovely standard we've held everyone else at," we say "hey, this standard is stupid and bad."

Venom Snake posted:

You just went from 0 to insane in under 10 posts. Yeah obviously the solution to Iran's current issues is violent revolution.

wait a minute...

it's inevitable tbh

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Majorian posted:

Kyooooooooooon~:sax:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Volkerball posted:

idk. it's a touchy situation. things definitely need to change, but it's volatile, and ever inch we step back is an inch the iranian government can step forward.

You are literally on the level of Narco Rubenman, "Any lenience will only empower them! Continue the sanctions!"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i regret to inform you all that due to a radium bug, when we roll over to page 2001, the forums will collapse

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The beatings will continue till moral improves.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
How could you sanction this cute Persian kitty?!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

or instead of people saying "hey how about we hold iran to the same lovely standard we've held everyone else at," we say "hey, this standard is stupid and bad."

would you also like a pony

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Volkerball posted:

the standard is stupid and bad but if you wanna do business in the middle east instead of bumblefucking around like the british empires short bus cousin, a good start is to apply pressure through alternative diplomatic means instead of freezing people out and expecting them to suddenly embrace western democractic liberal values ex nihilo

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

war with iran is a non-option. no one will consider it. iran is not iraq. we deal with them and let them have nuclear technology or what? what's the actual threat? are we really going to invade iran?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

i regret to inform you all that due to a radium bug, when we roll over to page 2001, the forums will collapse

Kyooni Ma...Shakti De! Kyooni Ma...Shakti De!!!

:sax:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
alternatively we could give backing a coup another shot. that went just so swimmingly last time.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Volkerball says no to rugs!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I hear Kermit Roosevelt III ain't up to much these days

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How could you sanction this cute Persian kitty?!

Wana pet that cat!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Iran also has hotter women than Israel, checkmate American foreign policy nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

the standard is stupid and bad but if you wanna do business in the middle east instead of bumblefucking around like the british empires short bus cousin, a good start is to apply pressure through alternative diplomatic means instead of freezing people out and expecting them to suddenly embrace western democractic liberal values ex nihilo

sanctions are part of the diplomatic means. we're best buddies with the saudis, how's that push for western democratic ideals going?

• Locked thread