Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Suaimhneas posted:

I got to Academia 500AF in FF13-2, and it is pissing me the hell off. I got about halfway through the level before deciding that there was no way I was getting through it without being significantly stronger, and decided to head back to Chocolina at the start of the level to buy more monster materials.

I've now spent half an hour running around this loving place flipping switches back and forth, and I cannot figure out a route back to the start of the level. Is it even possible to get back there? They wouldn't cut me off from the only source of level 3+ monster mats like this, would they?

There should be, but there's not much point, just power through and finish the level. Academia 500AF is a thankless journey and the faster you get it over with the better.

Off the top of my head I believe Chocolina appears again near the end of the level as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Dubious posted:

why portrait mode for this? What's the draw, do people actually like that?

Edit - it's the only thing that keeps me from buying DQ8 on my ipad. It's just so jarring.

It's a much more natural way to hold a phone - you can even one hand it for the most part. It's weird on iPad but that's why. I've played it a bunch and it actually works really well.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Harrow posted:

poo poo, really? I had no idea about that. So she has the same problem for Samurai that Balthier does for, like, every ranged weapon.

She does have good Magic for Shades of Black, but I'm not sure how useful that actually is. I didn't have it on my last IZJS run and never saw a use for it in vanilla because everyone could just straight-up cast what they needed to, so I'm not sure how often Shades of Black actually gives you something useful and how often it's just kind of a waste of time.

Shades of Black is amazing in IZJS. You get it much earlier than vanilla (in a chest during the Belias fight instead of around Draklor Laboratories), and the weighting against high level spells was removed. Vanilla SoB would usually cast only basic-tier or -ra spells, because the best spells only appeared very rarely. IZJS SoB can frequently cast -ga spells, Bio, Shock, Scathe, etc long before they are normally available, and without MP cost.

Even better, Larsa/Lamont knows SoB. He'll never use it unless you change his gambits, but his magic stat is significantly higher than his physical stat. He'll single-handedly annihilate everything in the Lhusu Mines. Too bad he runs away as soon as Bagamnan shows up, because he'd trivialize that fight too.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Everyone is forgetting the best change IZJS made compared to vanilla XII.

They added an "Enemy: Has Item" Gambit.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

:negative:

I know you're being sarcastic, but manually stealing probably kept me more involved in the random battles. Oh, who am I kidding, I always set the steal gambit to "Enemy HP=100%", and had everyone else attack the stealer's target as a weak substitute.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Twelve by Pies posted:

You misspelled "They put all the Gambits in the shop right away" :eng101:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Suaimhneas posted:

I got to Academia 500AF in FF13-2, and it is pissing me the hell off. I got about halfway through the level before deciding that there was no way I was getting through it without being significantly stronger, and decided to head back to Chocolina at the start of the level to buy more monster materials.

I've now spent half an hour running around this loving place flipping switches back and forth, and I cannot figure out a route back to the start of the level. Is it even possible to get back there? They wouldn't cut me off from the only source of level 3+ monster mats like this, would they?

Just go visit her in another place, like Archylte Steppe or such?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I think the whole FFXHD on PS4 is Square buying time to find the shoebox that has FFXII's data in it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Squallege posted:

I think the whole FFXHD on PS4 is Square buying time to find the shoebox that has FFXII's data in it

Maybe it'll have the uncompressed voice audio.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sunning posted:

Mevius is a FF game aimed at mobile platforms, hence the portrait orientation and touch controls. However, it's intended to be a fully featured console style JRPG rather than a typical F2P mobile game. The FFXIII staff seems to be behind it and it has a job system.

I'll probably complain heavily and then buy this

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

:negative:

I know you're being sarcastic, but manually stealing probably kept me more involved in the random battles. Oh, who am I kidding, I always set the steal gambit to "Enemy HP=100%", and had everyone else attack the stealer's target as a weak substitute.

I'm not being sarcastic, I am serious that that is the best change. What you just said is pretty much what I did, I set it at Enemy HP = 100%. For stuff like bosses where stealing would take longer, I just set up a Gambit for "Nearest enemy" and once the steal succeeded go into the menu and turn it off.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Leal posted:

Maybe it'll have the uncompressed voice audio.
and maybe they'll find biggie and tupac

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dubious posted:

why portrait mode for this? What's the draw, do people actually like that?

Edit - it's the only thing that keeps me from buying DQ8 on my ipad. It's just so jarring.

It's not meant for iPads, it's meant for quick phone play. I thought it was dumb at first as well but it makes it so much easier to pop open the game with one hand on it and play for a bit then switching to landscape. It only works if the game properly suspends when you close it instead of forcing you back to title screen too.

It sounds dumb but it is a usability thing for sure.

Also makes it less obvious you're playing a game at work

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm not being sarcastic, I am serious that that is the best change. What you just said is pretty much what I did, I set it at Enemy HP = 100%. For stuff like bosses where stealing would take longer, I just set up a Gambit for "Nearest enemy" and once the steal succeeded go into the menu and turn it off.

But... it didn't add an "Enemy: Has Item" gambit. They SHOULD have, but they didn't.

Squallege posted:

Knowing SE file retention policies, they probably just have a box full of poor Xerox copies of hundreds of faxed pages of game code, stuffed under the toaster in the break room. Someone spilled a pitcher of iced tea on it years ago so all the pages are stuck together and bled everywhere.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

But... it didn't add an "Enemy: Has Item" gambit. They SHOULD have, but they didn't.

Huh, a friend of mine told me that it did. Checking around, it seems like this was a rumor that the game had added the Gambit (mostly because it's such an obvious idea) but it isn't actually true. Never mind, then!

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's not meant for iPads, it's meant for quick phone play. I thought it was dumb at first as well but it makes it so much easier to pop open the game with one hand on it and play for a bit then switching to landscape. It only works if the game properly suspends when you close it instead of forcing you back to title screen too.

It sounds dumb but it is a usability thing for sure.

Also makes it less obvious you're playing a game at work

I also think that because they're actually building it from the ground up as a mobile game, they can build it for portrait mode.

Mevius is interesting to me. There's a lot I want to find out about with that game.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Instant Grat posted:

Just go visit her in another place, like Archylte Steppe or such?

She doesn't sell monster mats above level 2 anywhere else that I've found.

But I figured it out anyway, just had to use a specific cactuar checkpoint statue, go flip a switch to move the platforms, then jump into the void to get back to the statue

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
13 days, where's the Type-0 digital pre-order at?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Schwartzcough posted:

Knowing SE file retention policies, they probably just have a box full of poor Xerox copies of hundreds of faxed pages of game code, stuffed under the toaster in the break room. Someone spilled a pitcher of iced tea on it years ago so all the pages are stuck together and bled everywhere.

They were starting to lose track of assets and tools as early as a decade ago. Nomura admitted they lost the assets for Kingdom Hearts 1 when making the HD remaster. Fan-made tools were used to develop the FFX/FFX-2 HD Remaster. However, FFIX has some of its master assets available because some American artists worked on it and performed proper archival procedures. It's still not a great track record.

On the bright side, FFXII's focus on texturing would make it more at home with how most modern 3D games are made. I think the biggest issue with a HD port would be that most of original development staff left the company, works on FFXIV: ARR, or has disappeared into the unknown. Then again, that didn't stop the FFX/FFX-2 HD Remaster from being outsourced to China.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

MrLonghair posted:

13 days, where's the Type-0 digital pre-order at?

I'm guessing they need to nail down their store pages on PSN and XBL so they're probably still all-hands, including interns, on making FF15 demo actually playable.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Unrelated but I'm 30 games into blitzball and hit the point where I couldn't lose even if I wanted to. It'd be a draw if I never took a shot because the AI terrible at taking their own shots. It's such a mindless slog.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

bloodychill posted:

Unrelated but I'm 30 games into blitzball and hit the point where I couldn't lose even if I wanted to. It'd be a draw if I never took a shot because the AI terrible at taking their own shots. It's such a mindless slog.

The way to the Jupiter Sigil that involves the lowest amount of Blitzball games requires you to use the reset-function pretty often, which means everyone is constantly at or near starting levels, and the game isn't completely impossible to lose.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Instant Grat posted:

The way to the Jupiter Sigil that involves the lowest amount of Blitzball games requires you to use the reset-function pretty often, which means everyone is constantly at or near starting levels, and the game isn't completely impossible to lose.

If I reset after getting the auroch reels, will the first league have the Jupiter Sigil? Because I'm just about to hit Auroch reels and would gladly reset if it means the first league is for the sigil.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

bloodychill posted:

If I reset after getting the auroch reels, will the first league have the Jupiter Sigil? Because I'm just about to hit Auroch reels and would gladly reset if it means the first league is for the sigil.

Don't quote me on this, but I think you can just keep resetting until the prize is what you want it to be? Either that or you save, reset the blitzball, and then if the league prize isn't the sigil, you reload your save and try again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

bloodychill posted:

I'm guessing they need to nail down their store pages on PSN and XBL so they're probably still all-hands, including interns, on making FF15 demo actually playable.

I'm glad they'll actually hit a deadline for once and get this demo out in time for the release of Type-0 HD, rather than pull a God of War Ascension, where the demo for The Last of Us came out a few months later.

Not only am I excited to finally play FFXV, but I'm a huge nerd when it comes to beta versions of games, and it will be great to have an early version of the game to compare to the final one. I can't wait for the Ultimatim, post-mortem, or developer interviews once this game comes out about its decade in development, like how far the PS3/360 version got before it was scrapped. Yes, they have said that a 360 version was being considered before it was made next-gen only.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

bloodychill posted:

Stop before it's too late. I have the World Champion and I am a significantly worse human being as a result.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Type-0 videos, everything from last years TGS to the last weeks bits were just added to European PSN, keyword "Type 0". Empty on US PSN.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

MrLonghair posted:

Type-0 videos, everything from last years TGS to the last weeks bits were just added to European PSN, keyword "Type 0". Empty on US PSN.

Weird. I can't find them at all.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Weird. I can't find them at all.

store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/**-**/search/q=type%200

I've found it's there for en-uk, en-se, en-fi, fr-fr. Nothing at all on nl-nl and de-de has only four videos.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 5, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Trailer preview for this week's curtain call dlc round: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDA43XF_qOA

Also a new trailer for Theatrythm Dragon Quest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOnCDMkIois

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Y'all getting some loving Curtain Call DLC today!?

I can't believe how much I look forward to DLC for this thing... Every time a pack releases, I'm out at least a few bucks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
When's the batch containing Real Emotion coming out? I need some more J-pop.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
There's a Final Fantasy sale on EU PSN, all the games but VII, Tactics (both version), X-X2 HD, the first Dissidia and XIII are discounted- I've bought XIII-2 again, I hope my disc save converts, beacause I'd hate to do the quiz sidequests again.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Szurumbur posted:

There's a Final Fantasy sale on EU PSN, all the games but VII, Tactics (both version), X-X2 HD, the first Dissidia and XIII are discounted- I've bought XIII-2 again, I hope my disc save converts, beacause I'd hate to do the quiz sidequests again.

drat, Lightning Returns is still expensive as hell digitally. That "50% off"-price as about what a new copy costs at my local GameStop.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I picked up the disc version for like £10, not quite as cheap as what I grabbed XIII-2 for though. :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
my used copy of LR is the weird metal case with lightning dressed as cloud on it

except it was used so it didnt come with the cloud DLC

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sunning posted:

There was footage of Final Fantasy Mevius in a highlight reel for Unity 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxg_m3Qsnik (Footage at 2:40)

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/13-seconds-mevius-final-fantasy-footage

With the game running on Unity, console/PC ports wouldn't be out of the question. SE has moved a lot of its Japanese game development to middleware engines. It looks like the FFXIII creative team is working on Mevius. The game even reuses assets from the FFXIII trilogy. They haven't announced the game's director but I wouldn't be surprised if it's either Toriyama or a protege of his.

I misread this as Exvius and got excited only to have my hopes dashed. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saw this very interesting article about a fan made sequel for Final Fantasy VII. It is (or was, its canceled now) being developed by a small team that is based in Japan. They were making the game for the PSOne, using the FFVII game engine, and all of the restrictions that go along with that. There were some really neat things the team was able to create for their game that I would never have thought would be possible with the PSOne hardware.

http://gematsu.com/2015/03/look-cancelled-fan-made-final-fantasy-vii-open-world-sequel-psone

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Theatrhythm is cool and good. Can't wait to spend all my money on DLC, the world of real emotion is going to surround the gently caress out of me once that pack comes out. :getin:

Also got the Famicom cart containing FF1 and FF2, the 1994 re-release with some minor graphics changes. Not that I'll ever play the Famicom version of FF2, but FF1 is always FF1 and it's nice to have this cart in my collection of retro crap. Too bad the box art is some crappy 1994 CGI instead of the Amano art from the original releases and FF3, but eh. At least it's consistent with the Super Famicom versions of IV and V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Actual development footage of the Final Fantasy series under Hironobu Sakaguchi