Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, it seems like it from what I'm seeing, but I'm not sure, I don't speak Spanish.

I know a tiny bit and I don't see any reference to 'your' graveyard; hell, 'su cementario' translates directly to "its graveyard" so I guess it means the opponent. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bhsman posted:

I know a tiny bit and I don't see any reference to 'your' graveyard; hell, 'su cementario' translates directly to "its graveyard" so I guess it means the opponent. :stare:

To quote someone else on the MTG Site that Must Not Be Named - "Magic cards use the less formal "tu" for Spanish rules text for "you", and "su" for "his/her" to avoid this ambiguity." Thus, it should say

Dragonlord Kolaghan

4RB 6/5
Flying, Haste
Other creatures you control have haste.
Whenever an opponent casts a creature or planeswalker spell with the same name as a card in their graveyard, that player loses 10 life.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

To quote someone else on the MTG Site that Must Not Be Named - "Magic cards use the less formal "tu" for Spanish rules text for "you", and "su" for "his/her" to avoid this ambiguity." Thus, it should say

Dragonlord Kolaghan

4RB 6/5
Flying, Haste
Other creatures you control have haste.
Whenever an opponent casts a creature or planeswalker spell with the same name as a card in their graveyard, that player loses 10 life.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The fact that this exists in the same block as stuff with Delve means it's not as good as it could be, but once the first two sets rotate Kolaghan basically punishes the poo poo out of you.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bhsman posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The fact that this exists in the same block as stuff with Delve means it's not as good as it could be, but once the first two sets rotate Kolaghan basically punishes the poo poo out of you.

You have to admit it is HILARIOUS how poorly this Elder Dragon's ability works in Elder Dragon Highlander.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

You have to admit it is HILARIOUS how poorly this Elder Dragon's ability works in Elder Dragon Highlander.

I don't know, have you ever run into Marrow-Gnawer/Relentless Rat decks? :v:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Would it punish Flashback? Or is the spell out of the graveyard by the time it's cast?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

Would it punish Flashback? Or is the spell out of the graveyard by the time it's cast?

Mostly it punishes Siege Rhino decks :v: I don't think it would work because as the spell cast with Flashback is no more in the graveyard when cast as a card is still in your hand when you cast it from there.

Its a decent card, I'm just a little disappointed it costs more than the OG Kolaghan.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 4, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

eat your heart out rorix

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
It seems more like a midrange card than an aggro card which is a shame. I'd rather just Dash out Kolaghan Classic.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Uh...Isn't this Rorix Bladewing+ Team Haste?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I actually just want the spanish version because there's something awesome about announcing Señora Dragón

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

It's really awesome in topdeck mode against Abzan and... probably not much else. Mardu mid I guess?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's really awesome in topdeck mode against Abzan and... probably not much else. Mardu mid I guess?

My thought: If there's a Mardu Midrange Dragons deck, its not gonna be playing this. Its gonna be playing Kolaghan-1, probably as a 1 or 2 of to blow opponents out.

This is a casual card - most of the text on the card isn't typically going to be relevant - if a 6/5 hasty flier sticks to the board you are going to win anyways.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 4, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That's a nasty card, and randomly swingy in a way I don't like. I mean, 10 life? Good thing it's not "spells"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Rinkles posted:

That's a nasty card, and randomly swingy in a way I don't like. I mean, 10 life?

Yeah, but if you don't have an answer to it almost immediately, you'll probably die anyways. Your Rabblemaster probably isn't gonna save you.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

My thought: If there's a Mardu Midrange Dragons deck, its not gonna be playing this. Its gonna be playing Kolaghan-1, probably as a 1 or 2 of to blow opponents out.

This is a casual card - most of the text on the card isn't typically going to be relevant - if a 6/5 hasty flier sticks to the board you are going to win anyways.

Yeah, that's fair.

It wouldn't be an awful finisher if Grixis control were to become a thing. It'd be way cooler if it was all spells and not just creatures or walkers, though. Hero's Downfall already in the grave? Fuuuuuck yooooou.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rorix saw a lot of play back in the day and Kolaghan is somewhat better. On the other hand, the power level of creatures has gone up significantly since then. I could see this going either way.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

That's a nasty card, and randomly swingy in a way I don't like. I mean, 10 life? Good thing it's not "spells"

You gotta play around the fact that while it's on board you can't play poo poo that got murdered. Not too hard I guess?

Granted, couple people were saying the new Ob Nixilus would see play if fetchlands became a thing, but that never happened, unfortunately.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

Rorix saw a lot of play back in the day and Kolaghan is somewhat better. On the other hand, the power level of creatures has gone up significantly since then. I could see this going either way.

Kolaghan-Prime costs less, gives you a team boost and plays well with other playable cards (e.g. Stormbreath/Pink Regent)'

Count Bleck posted:

You gotta play around the fact that while it's on board you can't play poo poo that got murdered. Not too hard I guess?

Granted, couple people were saying the new Ob Nixilus would see play if fetchlands became a thing, but that never happened, unfortunately.

Ob's problem is that the effect comes too late in the game to do much. Blanking a land-drop 6 turns in (when you're only playing 4 fetches total) isn't a huge deal.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I mean common sense should say that it's not going to hurt much to not crack a fetchland by turn 6 so you're just paying 6 mana for a 4/4 flying trampler that can potentially get bigger, which isn't very good at all.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Tubgoat posted:

There are currently no creatures or planeswalkers with Flashback, so no, it won't punish any Flashback cards :engleft:

It also won't punish something like a single Gravecrawler in a graveyard since the first step of casting something is putting it on the stack, at which point it is no longer in your graveyard.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

Kolaghan-Prime costs less, gives you a team boost and plays well with other playable cards (e.g. Stormbreath/Pink Regent)

She also can avoid Sorcery-speed removal with Dash.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Disappointed that it's not spells in general as a gently caress-you to flashback and Snapcaster Mage in particular. Mostly because that would mean Snapcaster Mage would be/could be reprinted in Magic Origins.

It's another hilariously stringent punisher mechanic which is going to be irrelevant 99% of the time on a large but not particularly defensible body. Still better than Ob Nixilis, still not going to see constructed play (sadly).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

She also can avoid Sorcery-speed removal with Dash.

I was thinking about this earlier - a deck with those three guys in it is pretty resilient to Sorcery speed removal in general - Chained to the Rocks and Banishing Light can't hit either Kolaghan or Stormbreath and Crux of Fate has to name Dragons, leaving up your ground buddies and the Pink Regent punishes your opponent for trying instant speed removal too.

ungulateman posted:

Disappointed that it's not spells in general as a gently caress-you to flashback and Snapcaster Mage in particular. Mostly because that would mean Snapcaster Mage would be/could be reprinted in Magic Origins.

It's another hilariously stringent punisher mechanic which is going to be irrelevant 99% of the time on a large but not particularly defensible body. Still better than Ob Nixilis, still not going to see constructed play (sadly).

Yup. Sometimes its hard for me to separate Mythic from "Constructed Playable" - even when I know better sometimes I just assume they will be and get disappointed. When you think about it, how many of the Khans were really playable? Anafenza and to a much less extent, Sidisi. Hell, the last two blocks have been the same - Obzedat was a staple and Jarad was in a Tier 2 deck late in Theros; and Thassa was in a Tier 1 deck, and none of the other ones got played much.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 4, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hey Sorin, what the gently caress are you actually doing on Tarkir?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Hey Sorin, what the gently caress are you actually doing on Tarkir?

Same thing he did on Innistrad.

selling packsgently caress all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I rather wonder if you could play a Mardu Dragons deck to use Crux of Fate naming non-dragons to wipe your opponents board and then alpha strike them for the win.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 4, 2015

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
He's there as part of the underlying plot that's been going on for many blocks now rather than the actual block's plot. He was part of a trio of planeswalkers who sealed the Eldrazi way back in the day: Sorin, Ugin, and Nahiri. Now that the Eldrazi are loose and threaten everyone, he's returned to Ugin's home plane and his grave site to try to see if there's any knowledge he can glean to maybe stop the Eldrazi again. I'm not sure what effect this whole time shake up business is going to have on him since he isn't tied to the history of the plane and was just visiting, but I'm sure he'll want to talk to Ugin now that he's alive again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dragons got him brooding

:rimshot:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mischalaniouse posted:

He's there as part of the underlying plot that's been going on for many blocks now rather than the actual block's plot. He was part of a trio of planeswalkers who sealed the Eldrazi way back in the day: Sorin, Ugin, and Nahiri. Now that the Eldrazi are loose and threaten everyone, he's returned to Ugin's home plane and his grave site to try to see if there's any knowledge he can glean to maybe stop the Eldrazi again. I'm not sure what effect this whole time shake up business is going to have on him since he isn't tied to the history of the plane and was just visiting, but I'm sure he'll want to talk to Ugin now that he's alive again.

I think we're supposed to assume he just left already and his only reason for being there was selling a few packs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jeez some of the intro pack art is so much more bad rear end

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I really hope there's an "Exile target Dragon" removal spell at uncommon or that G/W dude is going to be almost literally impossible to beat in limited.

I also hope there's an "Exile target Dragon" removal spell in white so that Stormbreath Dragon remains the most playable Dragon in Standard from now until rotation. :smaug:

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
The only takeway I need from the spoilers is that there are (more) Dragons that I need for my Kaalia and Scion EDH. Dragon that gives all my guys haste? Yep!

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

How soon before a From the Vault series do we typically see spoilers? Anxiously looking forward to Angels, but it's not til August...

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'd totally play Kolghan in my Mardu Legends Hero's Blade Deck :getin:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

7thBatallion posted:

How soon before a From the Vault series do we typically see spoilers? Anxiously looking forward to Angels, but it's not til August...

I don't really keep close track of FTVs, but I don't remember them giving spoilers other than maybe one or two splashy cards at big events; rather, they'll just release the entire list of cards at some point.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Elyv posted:

I don't really keep close track of FTVs, but I don't remember them giving spoilers other than maybe one or two splashy cards at big events; rather, they'll just release the entire list of cards at some point.

Well then, I'll just wait anxiously, hoping it's nothing I already have in my deck. As soon as it releases, I'm triple sleeving anything foil.
I'm just hoping there's no Akroma in the set, as she's not actually an angel.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 4, 2015

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I know there's that card if Fate Reforged that destroys flying enchantments - but this set desperately needs a plummet reprint at common. Alot of dragon's are gonna need to be put in their place.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
So, thats 2/5 Dragonlords who have a "creature or planeswalker" clause. Think they're going for 5/5? And maybe its a hint at the upcoming set thats all about planeswalkers before their sparks ignited?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
For 6 CMC that is a pretty decent dragon, especially with the team haste and the second ability.

• Locked thread