Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The same Goku who literally states several times "Oh, I could have beaten (Fat and Kid) Buu but I wanted to give the young 'uns/Vegeta a chance."
It also flip-flops between Kid Buu being more powerful than Super Buu or not pretty often outside of Kid Buu being a ruthless poo poo.

Being Goku is overpowered, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

He also completely failed to catch an earring, so there's that.

Could it be Toriyama can't write for poo poo 50% of the time

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wish Toriyama, if he hated Gohan that much, just stopped trying to waste time in the manga about his training. Because it all resulted in nothing 99% of the time, with the 1% being beating Cell only after Goku made sure the world was absolutely hosed with his decision making.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

Hey, remember when he caught bullets? From a gun?

It's really for the best. 1) what would that fusion's name even be? goku gohan? 2) chichi would be his mother/wife and that's creepy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

Goku threw the earring, so it is quite honestly probably really dangerous to catch it and it was a miracle it didn't split the planet in half.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Aurain posted:

The same Goku who literally states several times "Oh, I could have beaten (Fat and Kid) Buu but I wanted to give the young 'uns/Vegeta a chance."
It also flip-flops between Kid Buu being more powerful than Super Buu or not pretty often outside of Kid Buu being a ruthless poo poo.

Being Goku is overpowered, basically.

???

Super Buu is stronger than Fat Buu, and Goku did beat Kid Buu once he got his magical second wind. And there's literally never been any question as to if Super Buu was stronger than Kid Buu, because he was. It's basic math.

He left Fat Buu to the kids because he felt it would be best (though honestly he probably wouldn't have been able to win, SS3 would have popped him back to the afterlife too fast), but he let Vegeta fight because somebody had to distract Kid Buu while he tried to concentrate.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Could it be Toriyama can't write for poo poo 50% of the time

Actually it's because as soon as the concept of fusion was introduced everybody wanted to see Vegito. Sucks for Gohan, but Vegito was pretty cool. :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tae posted:

I wish Toriyama, if he hated Gohan that much, just stopped trying to waste time in the manga about his training. Because it all resulted in nothing 99% of the time, with the 1% being beating Cell only after Goku made sure the world was absolutely hosed with his decision making.

The thing you have to understand is that after the Cell Saga, Toriyama is operating on 150% whim and all sense and structure completely breaks down. It's not that he hates Gohan per se, it's that he has no idea what the gently caress he's doing and is just flip flopping between whatever seems cool and whatever people are harassing him to do (Vegito). :shrug:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

The thing you have to understand is that after the Cell Saga, Toriyama is operating on 150% whim and all sense and structure completely breaks down. It's not that he hates Gohan per se, it's that he has no idea what the gently caress he's doing and is just flip flopping between whatever seems cool and whatever people are harassing him to do (Vegito). :shrug:

Also Toei has a massive, massive Goku boner and he's the only one that can do anything ever

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pureauthor posted:

Remember when he got drunk and deflected bullets from a gun into his wife's leg and the god of destruction's head.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Ultimate Gohan might have been the most pointless powerup in the entire series. The only reason I can give it was to power up Buu and then to make Vegito seem all the more badass.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also Toei has a massive, massive Goku boner and he's the only one that can do anything ever

Isn't all shonen guilty of that?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Amorphous Blob posted:

Ultimate Gohan might have been the most pointless powerup in the entire series. The only reason I can give it was to power up Buu and then to make Vegito seem all the more badass.

Your mistake is assuming that what happened reflects some kind of long term narrative plan.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am fine with Gohan not being the hero of the Buu arc because nothing was going to top The Great Saiyaman anyway.

I hope The Great Saiyaman is in the new movie. That would be rad. At least it looks like he's going to be pretty goofy since the only thing we know about him in the movie is that he's lost his fighting outfit, and Gohan is at his best when being goofy. All of DBZ is honestly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

The thing you have to understand is that after the Cell Saga
more like after the emperor pilaf saga

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember when yajirobe was introduced as on par with goku, beat up one guy, then just tagged along being sarcastic for an entire arc until he just sort of wound up living with an old cat because he didnt have an easy way down

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember when korin taught goku that there were no easy roads to power and that you had to train and work hard if you wanted to surpass your previous limits (rofl)

remember when in the next arc he just gave goku some water that made him stronger, completely undermining the previous lesson

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember when the villains were android 19 and 20, until they were 17, 16, and 18, until it was cell

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remember when chiaotzu was heavily featured on the manga covers and in the promotional art as if he was a major character

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what im saying here is toriyama was writing entirely by the seat of his pants the whole time

that's 100% what makes the series cool and interesting, even if it all falls apart if you look at it funny

a dbz that was actually planned out would be much more consistent and logical but also a thousand times more boring

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

a dbz that was actually planned out would be much more consistent and logical but also a thousand times more boring

one piece says lmao no

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

one piece isnt dbz

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

And there's literally never been any question as to if Super Buu was stronger than Kid Buu, because he was. It's basic math.

Sure, if you ignore characters like Kibitokai and Goku straight up saying Kid Buu is stronger, there is no question. I prefer the Super Buu = Stronger, Kid Buu = psycho to the point where he's more dangerous theory, but considering the source itself contradicts itself like crazy, there's plenty of boring old questions regarding it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

one piece isnt dbz

you're right it's better

Aurain posted:

Sure, if you ignore characters like Kibitokai and Goku straight up saying Kid Buu is stronger, there is no question. I prefer the Super Buu = Stronger, Kid Buu = psycho to the point where he's more dangerous theory, but considering the source itself contradicts itself like crazy, there's plenty of boring old questions regarding it.

that's Toei filler you ding dong

the thread's gone through this at least 3 times

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

that's Toei filler you ding dong

the thread's gone through this at least 3 times

Chapter 509, the manga straight up says Buu lost power when he absorbed the Kais. I guess it's nonsense too?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aurain posted:

Chapter 509, the manga straight up says Buu lost power when he absorbed the Kais. I guess it's nonsense too?

That works for the fat Kai, that's why fat Buu was the weakest of them all, but for literally every other Kai that runs completely opposite to how Buu works

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It doesn't really matter considering he's still stronger than Goku and Vegeta, whether that's just 'significantly' or 'vastly' never really becomes relevant

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Beerus and Goku were never really on the same level correct? The SSG transformation just let Goku keep up for the most part?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheKingofSprings posted:

That works for the fat Kai, that's why fat Buu was the weakest of them all, but for literally every other Kai that runs completely opposite to how Buu works

Correct. His adsorbing causes him to take on traits of those he adsorbs along with adding their strength to his own. However the Grand Supreme Kai had a kind and gentle nature. As a result of adsorbing him Buu became more gentle and controllable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the giant ball at the end that made goku basically go 'okay yeah thats it, i cant keep up' was beerus at about 80% power

so yeah, if beerus gave all he had it would barely be a fight. the SSG god just meant that beerus had to actually work

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Testekill posted:

Beerus and Goku were never really on the same level correct? The SSG transformation just let Goku keep up for the most part?

Yeah, they mention it at the end that Beerus was holding back the entire time.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The numbers I keep being thrown around, apparently attributed to Toriyama, are as follows.

SSG Goku: 6
Beerus: 10
Whis: 15

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Testekill posted:

Toriyama pretty much said in comparison to each other Goku as a SSG would be a 6, Beerus would be a 10 and Whis a 15. Pretty much Beerus went easy on him.

Beerus at the end stated that the Oracle Fish's exaggerated that the SSG would be a worthy opponent. He then said that Goku and Vegeta have potential and maybe one day they would become strong enough to actually give him a challenge.

Also just for fun Beerus also apparently can't be harmed by the Ki of Non Gods.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 4, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

In terms of offensive power, fat Buu was probably the weakest of all of them, yeah. But he was probably completely invincible at that point, so even SSJ3 or Gotenks or Gohan or Vegito would do nearly nothing to him, because he was essentially an irrational being, evidenced by Vegeta blowing himself up and Buu just collecting himself again as a bunch of tiny Buu's.

The way I see it, as a narrative fitting device, Buu becoming Super Buu switched his favor, so he became a lot stronger, but also a lot more mortal. He came down to their level and they could rationally interact with him a lot more, even if he still did ludicrous things.

This is considering people have been able to blow apart planets for a while already.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mordaedil posted:

This is considering people have been able to blow apart planets for a while already.

That's a benchmark that was reached pretty much as soon as DBZ began. Vegeta has destroyed planets with the Galick Gun, and the moon has been destroyed on more than one occasion.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there an explanation for bulma being such a huge bitch when they take off for namek? Like she's just suddenly super angry at everyone for like two episodes then she's fine. I always wondered if it was something cut in the dub.
She was pissed because she really didn't want to go and Gohan and Krillin weren't taking space seriously. She even cut her hair so it'd fit in a space suit helmet.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

In terms of offensive power, fat Buu was probably the weakest of all of them, yeah. But he was probably completely invincible at that point, so even SSJ3 or Gotenks or Gohan or Vegito would do nearly nothing to him, because he was essentially an irrational being, evidenced by Vegeta blowing himself up and Buu just collecting himself again as a bunch of tiny Buu's.

The way I see it, as a narrative fitting device, Buu becoming Super Buu switched his favor, so he became a lot stronger, but also a lot more mortal. He came down to their level and they could rationally interact with him a lot more, even if he still did ludicrous things.

Super Buu did this too though. At one point Gotenks blew him up and blasted his remains into dust and he still perfectly reformed. Fat Buu was just worse all-round

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

one piece says lmao no

I'd say that Oda very much writes "from the seat of his pants", as I think most guys who do weekly serialized comics in Japan do, it's just that Oda is much better at sort of "seeding" concepts, locations, and people that he can go back to when writing future stories. I'm almost certain he even said as much at one point in the past, where he says he keeps a bunch of ideas on hand that he can go back to and use in future stories, but they aren't really meticulously planned.

Endorph posted:

remember when the villains were android 19 and 20, until they were 17, 16, and 18, until it was cell

To me, it seems like everything after Frieza was Toriyama basically being all like, "Hah these guys I drew are kinda dumb but I like 'em" and then being told that he's being too dumb and he needs to make the story cooler. I'm sure this was the case with Buu as well. Like I'm sure Toriyama was thinking that a fat pink stay-puff marshmallow man who turned people into candy and ate them was fuckin' rad but nobody else did. I'm even more convinced because everything after Dragonball that he's done, even the more recent dragonball stuff, is so dumb and goofy.

Caidin posted:

That.... is very disheartening to hear, Gohan was basically my favorite part of DBZ.

Did he say why he was getting benched?

I'm not really sure why everyone gets so upset about Gohan. Like everyone complains about him basically giving up fighting when it was established that he doesn't like fighting and only does it to protect people. Despite him having the highest potential out of anyone that simple fact is enough to make it so that he can't possibly be the strongest forever.

I actually like what they've done with Gohan in post-DBZ stuff generally.

Mischitary fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 4, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Good points overall.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
What was the source of the thing that said Grand Kai destroyed his brain before being absorbed and that's why Fat Buu was so dumb? Was that canon, fake canon or not even close to canon?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

sharktamer posted:

What was the source of the thing that said Grand Kai destroyed his brain before being absorbed and that's why Fat Buu was so dumb? Was that canon, fake canon or not even close to canon?

It was in Multiverse. Where they got it from I have no clue.

Kild fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Imagine Satan with a shotgun

• Locked thread