Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

I drew this kitbash to celebrate my gunpla...ism yesterday:

(Jineo is derived from the first name that entered my mind "Vagoo Vagine" :v:)

"Forbidden Vagina" is a good Gundam pilot name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Considering we've had Quad Vagina and Full Frontal (from basically the same dude) already, yeah that wouldn't surprise me at all.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hyaku Shiki 2.0 is going to be about 7200 yen, so safe to say it's chromed.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah, which blows because I'd rather have a cheaper yellow plastic one and paint it myself than spend the extra $20+ markup on parts I'd have to strip myself.

Or you know just get the Robot Damashii like I was planning anyway.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

Yeah, which blows because I'd rather have a cheaper yellow plastic one and paint it myself than spend the extra $20+ markup on parts I'd have to strip myself.

Or you know just get the Robot Damashii like I was planning anyway.

apparently it's not that crappy tinfoil gold, but more like the hd version, which is a plus.

Still wish it was the yellow plastic version though.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with both Mr. Metal Color Chrome Silver and Mr. Color Super Fine Silver? I'd like a handbrush alternative to Alclad for thrusters, metallizing parts, and possible future candycoating.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

hey we might get lucky and the Hyaku Shiki will have all undergated armor.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh dammit, what's wrong with a good matte. I don't want to wear gloves while building this thing.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Stripping chrome off is a pain in the butt.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
And yet, Strike Freedom still can't get a fully chromed inner frame. :v:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Stripping chrome off is a pain in the butt.

Truth. Whoever thought that chroming without undergating was a good idea needs to die in a fire.

At that price point, the HS2.0 had drat well better be entirely undergated.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
No reason to think it wouldn't be.

If they go with one of the more muted golds and solve the (very few) seam issues from the original, I don't see a problem with keeping the finish as is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Hyaku-Shiki 1.0 was undergated, so why wouldn't the 2.0 be?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone have any idea what the proper water:dettol ratio is and how long I should leave my parts in, for stripping paint?

e; dear Bandai: who do we have to murder to get you to release a RG Gouf that has all the weapons needed to make a regular Gouf/Gouf Custom/Gouf R35 in one kit? I'm, uh, asking for a friend.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 4, 2015

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Dammit, why is it that whenever I finally get around to ordering paints and action bases I find sweet, sweet web exclusives to burn the month's gunpla budget on instead? Every. loving. Time. :argh:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e; dear Bandai: who do we have to murder to get you to release a RG Gouf that has all the weapons needed to make a regular Gouf/Gouf Custom/Gouf R35 in one kit? I'm, uh, asking for a friend.

The Gouf and the Gouf Custom are pretty different.

And the R35 has a different load out and different legs than either of them, so I'm gonna go with no amount of murdering will get your wish.

If they make a RG Gouf they'll probably do a web shop exclusive RG Gouf Custom tho.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No RG Gouf Custom without an RG Ground Type for it to beat the poo poo out of. :colbert:

If they do, I bet the GM head and all the different backpack container weapons would end up being a web shop exclusive.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

boom boom boom posted:

The Gouf and the Gouf Custom are pretty different.

And the R35 has a different load out and different legs than either of them, so I'm gonna go with no amount of murdering will get your wish.

If they make a RG Gouf they'll probably do a web shop exclusive RG Gouf Custom tho.

Then again, you are comparing the MG Gouf 2.0 to the MG Gouf custom there. Interesting fact: the Original MG Gouf and the MG Gouf custom are very much based off much shared engineering.

Not that the original MG Gouf isn't dogshit compared to the 2.0, but it shows the possibility for shared molds exists.

Gouf is a funny word when you write it out a lot. Gouf. Gouf. Goooooooooouf.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Chewbacca posted:

Gouf is a funny word when you write it out a lot. Gouf. Gouf. Goooooooooouf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPqomrYO960

It gets posted every time, and I'm still not tired of it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPqomrYO960

It gets posted every time, and I'm still not tired of it.

Every time I watch this I lament how much of a wasted opportunity it was to not have put in stills of Jimba and Ramba Ral when the lyrics go "like father, like son."

Anyway, the Gouf Custom and 2.0 aren't that different except for the extra panel detail on the Custom. I'd be happy with a ver.Ka'd regular Gouf that just came with all the weapon options.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 4, 2015

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There's nothing stopping them from doing a Gouf Custom based on the 2.0 frame, and it sucks that they haven't because the old kit is crraaaaaap.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Anything wrong with old MG like the Acguy or Z'gok? Not that matters much because I want to build them so baad.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The Acguy is pretty dope and has a really interesting internal structure, its only bad point is the half-assed spring-loaded claw gimmick which is just like LOL nope.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Is there any way to "buff" out scratches from sanding? I gave 2000 grit sand paper but I don't think that will work.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Short answer; kind of. Some scratches will always remain no matter what you use on it. This is one reason clear coat over bare plastic is a thing.

They can be minimized greatly, though. Basically you want to use progressively finer grades of sandpaper until you are essentially polishing the plastic. You can also use toothpaste as a final polish but this will impart a high gloss to the plastic which may not be the effect you're looking for.

But again, going at it methodically is key. Hitting an area with #2000 grit that was originally sanded with #600 is not going to accomplish very much on its own.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 5, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ka0 posted:

Anything wrong with old MG like the Acguy or Z'gok? Not that matters much because I want to build them so baad.

The MG Acguy is super fun. The mid section is pretty heavy, but it's really cool. The shoulder and hip joints "pop" out to allow for more flexibility. The arms and legs both extend a bit. You do have to use a screwdriver to assemble the spring-loaded claw, though. I haven't had any problems with that gimmick. I really like the fold out cockpit entrance thing.

It also comes with the three little kids from the original show, a scuba diver, a man with briefcase, a bunch of water effect parts, and an action base. It is easily worth the 30-40 bucks it costs.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Bimmi posted:

Short answer; kind of. Some scratches will always remain no matter what you use on it. This is one reason clear coat over bare plastic is a thing.

They can be minimized greatly, though. Basically you want to use progressively finer grades of sandpaper until you are essentially polishing the plastic. You can also use toothpaste as a final polish but this will impart a high gloss to the plastic which may not be the effect you're looking for.

But again, going over it with progressively finer grades is key. Hitting an area with #2000 grit that was originally sanded with #600 is not going to accomplish very much on its own.

I did use progressive sanding (400 to 700 to 1200), so I don't think it's too bad.

I was planning to use a flat clear coat so I'm glad to hear it should help.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That definitely needs a further going over with some #800 and #1000 grit, then again with the #1200. Also be sure to wet-sand at all times, it makes things much easier and the results much better.

One thing that minimizes the hell out of scratches with little effort is Brasso metal polish, which I used for years with no problems, but it eventually did ruin a part and now i'm leery of it. poo poo's also noxious as all get-out.

Bon Ami scouring powder is a fine and thankfully non-toxic abrasive that's very useful for buffing out medium-to-light sanding damage, but it's really messy to use.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 5, 2015

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Bimmi posted:

That definitely needs a further going over with some #800 and #1000 grit, then again with the #1200. Also be sure to wet-sand at all times, it makes things much easier and the results much better.

Bolded for emphasis. It is impossible to overstate how much wet sanding helps in clearing up scratches and blemishes on bare plastic. Or really any time you want a super smooth, clean surface.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Seriously. I take wet-sanding as such a given that I often forget to even mention it.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Thanks for the tips! All the videos I've seen haven't even mentioned wet-sanding, so I never bothered. I'll give it a shot. If it turns out well enough, I'll re sand all my parts...

I'll never get to start working on my Turn X. :negative:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
A few days ago, my brother asked me if I'd be willing to part with some old, unopened G.I. Joe figures I picked up back when the first live action movie came out. I said sure, since it's not like I was ever planning on doing anything with them. In exchange, he ended up buying me a Master Grade Exia Dark Matter, which came in today and he just dropped it off with me a few minutes ago. Looking over the instructions, I notice that there's an option for building the GN Drives with LEDs... which LEDs would I be looking for in order to make this work?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There are official Bandai LED two packs. They're kind of overpriced for what they are (they don't even come with batteries), but them's the breaks.

The official Bandai ones only come in green (and red, but those are rarer), so if you want another color look up third party stuff. The MG Dark Matter only needs green ones though, so it works out.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

W.T. Fits posted:

which LEDs would I be looking for in order to make this work?

Probably these dudes. There are cheaper knockoffs available on eBay, too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

A few days ago, my brother asked me if I'd be willing to part with some old, unopened G.I. Joe figures I picked up back when the first live action movie came out. I said sure, since it's not like I was ever planning on doing anything with them. In exchange, he ended up buying me a Master Grade Exia Dark Matter, which came in today and he just dropped it off with me a few minutes ago. Looking over the instructions, I notice that there's an option for building the GN Drives with LEDs... which LEDs would I be looking for in order to make this work?

You want the official Gunpla LED 2-pack. The Red ones, specifically. I just linked one the stores so you know what to look for.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Bimmi posted:

Probably these dudes. There are cheaper knockoffs available on eBay, too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So an EMS package of mine is lost somewhere in the mail and I'm just glad it isn't too expensive of rare. This is like the first time ever I've had a problem with EMS.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
More sandingtalk: I'm continuing to get fairly good results from (very carefully) using a metal file and a 3-step nail buffing bar; I can almost always get a piece back to looking totally untouched, even dry.

Problem is, I sometimes lose surface detail or wind up slightly rounding edges that are supposed to be sharp, especially with the buffing bar in the latter case. Do I just need to get better at this lest I risk sullying the kits I'm saving for ~perfect builds~ or whatever bullshit I've got in the back of my head to excuse my backlog? :v:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Zwingley posted:

More sandingtalk: I'm continuing to get fairly good results from (very carefully) using a metal file and a 3-step nail buffing bar; I can almost always get a piece back to looking totally untouched, even dry.

Problem is, I sometimes lose surface detail or wind up slightly rounding edges that are supposed to be sharp, especially with the buffing bar in the latter case. Do I just need to get better at this lest I risk sullying the kits I'm saving for ~perfect builds~ or whatever bullshit I've got in the back of my head to excuse my backlog? :v:

Well, using a metal file for anything other than major plastic removal is a really bad idea. You're better off with 320-grit sandpaper to start instead, unless you've got some major sprue nubs to start sanding down. The metal file should never, ever touch the part itself, unless it's to remove a ton of plastic.

I prefer sandpaper glued to popsicle sticks instead of a buffing bar. The buffing bars tend to be flexible, and can wrap around edges and whatnot, eroding detail. Plus, you get better control of the grits you have access to if you make your own sticks.

And, as above, wet sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It is really, really difficult to keep from rounding off flat surfaces when sanding. I have a lot of practice and specialized tools for the job and I still gently caress up all the time. It doesn't take much, tell you what.

But yes, files are generally overkill. I'm all about sanding sticks of various grits and grades of firmness, and I usually make sure the nub is completely gone before I even think about breaking out the abrasives.