Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Ligur posted:

edit: as an example, I don't think a lot of the HEMA guys do something very "useful" when it comes to competing in any modern ring (or even the night grill if it comes to that...), but they never cast any aura of mysticism over it or never go about it like they do anything apart from having a good time with medieval European martial arts with old manuals and armor and swords and shields and trips and fun - and I can't remember them getting any poo poo over it either, the opposite if anything

I was surprised that this is the general reaction HEMA receives. I fully expected it to get lumped into the ninjitsu/krav maga poo poo tank, but many of the even really intense martial artists I know think it looks fun. They don't perhaps take it as seriously as they do more contemporary martial arts, but there's definitely a respect there.

the JJ posted:

Apparently they have their own schisms with manual purists/sportsy focused/my school is better, that stuff. I only know this because of chill HEMA folks complaining about unchill HEMA folks though, so that's cool.

The well runs deep with unchill HEMA folks. Most, however, are pretty rad and the funnest part of tournaments is getting smashed off homemade mead served unironically out of a drinking horn.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Ligur posted:

Long post.

You put it way better than I could because that's basically the way I feel about it too though I don't have a problem with a bit of mysticism either. By mysticism I mean "Like dem warriors of ol' did things" because it's cool to think like... that two thousand years ago Roman legions trained and kept in shape with wrestling and that the mongol hordes did the same and you are still doing it today and stuff. Makes you feel connected to history and manly and all that stuff.

I don't mean the loving kamehameha stuff because gently caress...

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Verisimilidude posted:

I was surprised that this is the general reaction HEMA receives. I fully expected it to get lumped into the ninjitsu/krav maga poo poo tank, but many of the even really intense martial artists I know think it looks fun. They don't perhaps take it as seriously as they do more contemporary martial arts, but there's definitely a respect there.
That's probably because often the guy we're trying to whack with our steel sticks is also trying to poke us in the face with his own. It's the opposite of the bullshido-TMA way of trusting that a thing will work because tradition says so; we look at the super badly drawn manuals, go "what the gently caress is happening here", and then figure out what it probably is by testing out interpretations against resisting opponents.

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

What's all this racket up here, Barnett? You watchin' your girl cartoons again?
Re: stance switching talk, I'm a southpaw who prefers to shoot from orthodox, and I've been having some modest success substituting my jab-cross for a jab-lovely karate lunge punch (oi tsuki I think it's called?) whenever I want to get my Scandinavian double on. I'm not very good at it, but it seems to eliminate the telegraphed stance switch that I've been struggling with at least somewhat. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Mannetosen posted:

Re: stance switching talk, I'm a southpaw who prefers to shoot from orthodox, and I've been having some modest success substituting my jab-cross for a jab-lovely karate lunge punch (oi tsuki I think it's called?) whenever I want to get my Scandinavian double on. I'm not very good at it, but it seems to eliminate the telegraphed stance switch that I've been struggling with at least somewhat. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Stepping with your reverse leg, then striking with the now-lead hand? Yeah that's a pretty typical oi tsuki. Even in karate that's not really a scoring hit on it's own, but a way of closing in or setting up another technique, so it sounds like you're basically doing it right. For a true shotokan experience, try making it a 1 - 2. Nail that and you're like 60% of the way to fighting like a true katateka. (The other 40% is down blocks and front kicks.)

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

What's all this racket up here, Barnett? You watchin' your girl cartoons again?
Throwing an 1-2 leaves me with the same problem of being stuck in southpaw when I want to shoot from orthodox, though. Unless you mean that I should throw the oi tsuki in tandem with the jab which is what I'm already doing.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sniper Party posted:

That's probably because often the guy we're trying to whack with our steel sticks is also trying to poke us in the face with his own. It's the opposite of the bullshido-TMA way of trusting that a thing will work because tradition says so; we look at the super badly drawn manuals, go "what the gently caress is happening here", and then figure out what it probably is by testing out interpretations against resisting opponents.

Sweet avatar and text combo! And yeah, there is some pressure testing there. Honestly the only flack I've seen HEMA receive comes from JSA people who think the katana and its related arts are the most effective. I'll admit that the overall skill level in most JSA tournaments is several degrees higher than HEMA, but also HEMA has only just recently picked up steam. Also the art works just fine, and many of the concepts are literally exactly the same as JSA concepts. Haters gonna hate though.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 4, 2015

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If things go as planned I am going to drop in on a local kickboxing gym friday. It's been a year or so since I stopped boxing and I'm still feeling the itch. Bjj is good but after 8 years things feel stale a lot.

We did a self defense class at my bjj gym a few weeks back and I felt good jabbing and front kicking to escape my rapist. I think somehow my hook also improved because I timed a nice one on a guy that got too close for a straight. I read jack slack articles and fantasize about slipping punches and being the white slow untalented floy mayweather.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

white slow untalented
You're gonna have to come through me to claim anything in this category.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Famous French boxer Glass Joe would like a word with both of you.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Kekekela posted:

you know how in a lot of sports theres the old man version? Like old man basketball is posting up on the elbow, faking one direction and playing the glass for a boring 2? Or golf where you layup and 2 putt because its consistent?

Thats me in every sport I've ever done or tried but I'm in my 20's.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
When did you realize that you would never be Blacksplosive?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qqfSS97MN4

What the hell is the fourth takedown in this video? It's like a sport version of that James bond throw

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ManOfTheYear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qqfSS97MN4

What the hell is the fourth takedown in this video? It's like a sport version of that James bond throw

Really loving illegal is what it is. Maybe you could do it in catch but the ref would probably yell at you anyway.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Really loving illegal is what it is. Maybe you could do it in catch but the ref would probably yell at you anyway.

Yeah, I think you can do all kinds of forced takedowns from joint locks but that stuff would probably lead to a lot of broken bones. I have one of those HEMA books (codex wallerstein) and the unarmed stuff is full of techniques like that.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mannetosen posted:

Throwing an 1-2 leaves me with the same problem of being stuck in southpaw when I want to shoot from orthodox, though. Unless you mean that I should throw the oi tsuki in tandem with the jab which is what I'm already doing.

I used to like throwing an inside leg kick and dropping my right foot down as the penetration step after landing and shooting off that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A lot of those look to actually be pro wrestling takedowns. Hence why they're being done unresisted.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Liquid Communism posted:

A lot of those look to actually be pro wrestling takedowns. Hence why they're being done unresisted.

Well they're real moves, and you're not going to resist in a demo. But those guys looked out of control on basically all the takedowns against the shoulder joint they did, I was cringing.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Been working as a bouncer for a while and had my first bar fight today, judo worked prefectly! Thanks Jigoro Kano

Also how loving stupid do you have to be when a dude who is like 5 feet tall and weighs like 80 pounds starts to shout racist poo poo and calls his girlfriend a slut to a british dude who is over 6 feet tall, weighs probably 200 pounds and clearly lifts and is fit as gently caress? Dude sure ate that punch. Little twerp wasn't even drunk, how the hell did he think he would get away with it?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I think some people never expect to get hit

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Rabhadh posted:

I think some people never expect to get hit

The british dude sure was out of control though. Is that a cultural thing? Are british like that?

"U a fuckin' faqqot m8"

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Wait did I misunderstand something or did you assault someone for being a loudmouth oval office?

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

The british dude sure was out of control though. Is that a cultural thing? Are british like that?

"U a fuckin' faqqot m8"

Bro you don't even know my mentality ! I'm like an animal

A lot of dudes overestimate their fighting abilities.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Report: Average Male 4,000% Less Effective In Fights Than They Imagine

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-average-male-4000-less-effective-in-fights,36321/

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

General Emergency posted:

Wait did I misunderstand something or did you assault someone for being a loudmouth oval office?

Nah, two dudes fought and I butted in and separated them. The other one got clocked before I managed to get to them. I've never understood hitting or beating assholes, dude's a douche and he won't get any better no matter how much he is beat. You might get hurt or the other will and there will be repercussions either way. Any kind of fighting outside a ring or a cage is basically the epitome of stupidity.

If I would get into a fight on my free time I'd just run home and laugh at the other dude's lovely cardio.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 8, 2015

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Watch this guy from my home town completely demolish this other guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I0Tqex9PJ4

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
I practiced Shotokan a couple decades ago. I'd like to get back into it, but I need to seriously work on my flexibility before I start class. Any recommendations on YouTube videos or other sites with good stretching workouts?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

grellgraxer posted:

I practiced Shotokan a couple decades ago. I'd like to get back into it, but I need to seriously work on my flexibility before I start class. Any recommendations on YouTube videos or other sites with good stretching workouts?

I believe Starting Stretching is the thread approved method. Unfortunately it seems to be down right now though

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
I just published a new article, Shoulder function and scapular position in boxers.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1466853X15000097

Basic summary: The shoulder is a very common area of injury in boxers. Boxers with three or more years of training display similar shoulder issues to those seen in overhead throwing. This is kind of a big deal as those issues can result in a ton of different problems.

I suggest those that box or are involved with combat sports that have large volumes of punching should follow some sort of shoulder care protocols.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

I just published a new article, Shoulder function and scapular position in boxers.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1466853X15000097

Basic summary: The shoulder is a very common area of injury in boxers. Boxers with three or more years of training display similar shoulder issues to those seen in overhead throwing. This is kind of a big deal as those issues can result in a ton of different problems.

I suggest those that box or are involved with combat sports that have large volumes of punching should follow some sort of shoulder care protocols.

the JJ posted:

bitch bitch bitch...

now my shoulder is shot. :( I haven't trained in like a month and I should probably not tonight either.

Would you look at that. The shoulder feels mostly better, except when I try to do push ups, but where would I find more on shoulder care protocols?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

the JJ posted:

Would you look at that. The shoulder feels mostly better, except when I try to do push ups, but where would I find more on shoulder care protocols?

Seconded. I do some stuff for mine because it's s chronic problem. Would love more info

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

Seconded. I do some stuff for mine because it's s chronic problem. Would love more info

http://crossoversymmetry.com/

While I have mostly given up on my right shoulder, this has done wonders for stabilizing it and making it 'functional'. My crossfit coaches swears by it too.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

While I have mostly given up on my right shoulder, this has done wonders for stabilizing it and making it 'functional'. My crossfit coaches swears by it too.

This is cool but drat that's a lot for just a casual athlete like me.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

This is cool but drat that's a lot for just a casual athlete like me.

That was my initial thought, but having used it at the gym, I would now buy it, should I lose access to it. The cords themselves (you need 2 sets) are $45 each, although they don't seem to sell the manual separately?

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Not surprising that crossfit would need their own shoulder protocols. It is brutal on the shoulders. One of the reasons I don't recommend crossfit for fighters.

I'm writing up an article on shoulder pre-hab that I'll share once I'm done. Here are a couple of videos that have some good stuff. I wouldn't consider any of these perfect but I don't think they will do any damage either:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgxr6xAB5ZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67f3VLxcQFc

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Got my new Top King Air's today along with some matching shin pads as I'm a tart like that.
Christened them at training tonight doing that sparring drill where both fighters keep their leading leg in a close area (usually a hula hoop but in our case we used a kick pad which wasn't ideal) good fun and very hard for me as the guy I was partnered with is a big strong dude who I normally wouldn't stay in the pocket with during normal sparring.

Good fun even got myself a little nosebleed.......to be fair it doesn't take much to make that happen.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I took a step into the unknown a few hours ago and had a class full of cardio boxers/kickboxers warm up with dodgeball, hand wrasslin and stuff, and then practice different wrestling holds or moves strikers use or have used... like (deliberately) missing a hook or a cross to grab the neck and then leaning on your opppent, tying up hands, forcing them to the ropes with sneaky shoves and cross arms, "accidental" elbow strikes and how to sneak them in, and stuff. It was like a kindergarten with nitrous oxide being applied to everyone! :haw:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Not surprising that crossfit would need their own shoulder protocols. It is brutal on the shoulders. One of the reasons I don't recommend crossfit for fighters.

It was developed for baseball, not crossfit. Nice try, though.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

It was developed for baseball, not crossfit. Nice try, though.

Fair enough, they are just cashing in on crossfit damaging shoulders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Fair enough, they are just cashing in on crossfit damaging shoulders.

You also love crossfit? :D

Some of the girls are pretty hot though...

• Locked thread