Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

setafd posted:

bought it and played with friends and that was my whole rest of the day spent

someone make a thread for helldivers it is really good
Is helldivers a loot finding game in terms of guns, or something else? The review I read mysteriously didn't say anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

VR is the new 3D. I know all these 3D displays were sold, and for about ten minutes there were a few 3D games, but not so much any more. VR may create new experiences, but they may be distinct from the AAA titles we are used to. And if that is the case, bring it on. Innovation is fun.

What most people don't realize is that 3D (at least in TVs) has effectively become ubiquitous without anyone noticing. If you've bought a TV over 40" in the past year or so, 3D's probably in there (unless it's a Vizio or a cheap brand). It became something that could be thrown in for almost nothing because all the displays are made by Sharp/Samsung anyway, so why not?

That ubiquity will drive the revolution of making everything feel 3D as we move forward. The question, as always, is how the content is presented. People don't want to wear bulky shades outside of theatres (hell, they probably don't want to do it there either), but it's a necessary evil until we figure out how to pump one view into one eyeball and another into the other. Solve that, and EVERY-loving-THING will be 3D.

the truth posted:

The 3D on the New 3DS is so stable and well executed that after just a couple weeks I barely even notice it until I look at a different screen and realize it's missing. 3D can be cool when it is done correctly, and I wish I had the means to try Uncharted 3 in 3D.

The awesome part of this is that it's done by simply tracking your gaze -- and not where you're looking on the screen, where you're just sort of looking in general. It works amazingly well, adapts pretty quickly to movements, and adjusts as it needs to without any extra help. Nintendo managed to attach some of the most cutting-edge tech to a system that has a 3D screen with an effective resolution lower than the PSP, which came out over a decade ago.

That company is a goddamn enigma, I tell you whut.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Since some of my ESL students are video game inclined, I'm going to give them a research paper topic choice of VR displays. They could write about the technology side or the business side or the game side or whatever. We'll see how this goes.

I would LOVE to hear what their responses are. Honestly, that'll be an interesting litmus test, but if you can, encourage them to find an actual place to try out a headset. It's one of the most confounding parts of VR: how to do you explain something that becomes almost innately personal the second you're dropped into that world? Just researching the tech won't do it; it's straight up The Matrix. You have to see it for yourself.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SamBishop posted:

I would LOVE to hear what their responses are. Honestly, that'll be an interesting litmus test, but if you can, encourage them to find an actual place to try out a headset. It's one of the most confounding parts of VR: how to do you explain something that becomes almost innately personal the second you're dropped into that world? Just researching the tech won't do it; it's straight up The Matrix. You have to see it for yourself.
That beyond the scope of the assignment (and either way it's to practice finding and citing written sources), and would there even be a place to try one on here in Honolulu? We aren't tech central over here or anything.

edit: I'm pretty prejudiced against VR displays that cover your whole face. Even just sitting on my sofa playing video games, looking out my window reminds me that I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Paying money to block that out sounds insane.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is helldivers a loot finding game in terms of guns, or something else? The review I read mysteriously didn't say anything.

It's not a loot finding game but there IS loot. So far loot seems driven by a couple things.

1) Level. You will get Research Points and Armor-type stuff, possibly perks too, based on Level. This means everyone gets the same poo poo at the same thresholds, etc...

2) You can unlock guns and stratagems (air drops) by doing all the missions on a planet. This means some folks may not have what you have or vice versa depending on if you (or they) didn't do a planet...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thing I'm loving about Helldivers is that it has the satisfaction you get in Diablo from squashing enemies, but the gameplay is actually demanding enough that you have to pay decently close attention to whats going on. That, and despite having buttloads of stuff to unlock and collect, it's not a loot grind were the difficulty is based solely around equipment. To me it makes it a lot more engaging and fun than something like Diablo or Destiny. Also, it's just hilarious all of the stupid ways you die. Our whole party was cracking up regularly.

I think at some point it might risk getting a little too samey (or not I can't say for sure at this point), but I can see myself putting quite a few hours into it before that happens. Definitely seems like a steal at $17.99. I could see a more well known dev sticking a $60 price tag to it as it seems pretty robust, at least from the few hours I've played.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SamBishop posted:

The awesome part of this is that it's done by simply tracking your gaze -- and not where you're looking on the screen, where you're just sort of looking in general. It works amazingly well, adapts pretty quickly to movements, and adjusts as it needs to without any extra help. Nintendo managed to attach some of the most cutting-edge tech to a system that has a 3D screen with an effective resolution lower than the PSP, which came out over a decade ago.

That company is a goddamn enigma, I tell you whut.

I recently got a New 3DS to go with my Vita that I got at launch, and one thing I'd love to see in a third Sony handheld if they ever make it (besides L2/R2, Micro USB 3.0 and a microSD card slot), would be a 1080p autostereoscopic 3D OLED screen, along with a mandate for all games to run at 60fps in 960x540 3D (or 720p60fps if you turned the 3D off). The clean, sharp visuals of the Vita combined with the immersive 3D would be so drat good.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

NESguerilla posted:

The thing I'm loving about Helldivers is that it has the satisfaction you get in Diablo from squashing enemies, but the gameplay is actually demanding enough that you have to pay decently close attention to whats going on. That, and despite having buttloads of stuff to unlock and collect, it's not a loot grind were the difficulty is based solely around equipment. To me it makes it a lot more engaging and fun than something like Diablo or Destiny. Also, it's just hilarious all of the stupid ways you die. Our whole party was cracking up regularly.

I think at some point it might risk getting a little too samey (or not I can't say for sure at this point), but I can see myself putting quite a few hours into it before that happens. Definitely seems like a steal at $17.99. I could see a more well known dev sticking a $60 price tag to it as it seems pretty robust, at least from the few hours I've played.

Games being challenging has become a novelty. Glad to hear it's fun.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

That beyond the scope of the assignment (and either way it's to practice finding and citing written sources), and would there even be a place to try one on here in Honolulu? We aren't tech central over here or anything.

edit: I'm pretty prejudiced against VR displays that cover your whole face. Even just sitting on my sofa playing video games, looking out my window reminds me that I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Paying money to block that out sounds insane.

It might honestly be an assignment that ultimately short-changes the whole topic in question, then. It's impossible to quantify VR without actually experiencing it, unfortunately. It goes from a kind of abstract concept with second-hand recountings of how someone else felt when they were using it to real hands-on information. This is the fundamental issue with VR, and it's one that will be incredibly hard to overcome until it's cheap (free) to experience and there's a bunch of stuff to actually try out so you get something that fits for you.

My dad's side of the family is all out in Hawaii, and I agree that it's one of the most perfect places one could ever live, but that's sort of what VR is about : complete and utter transcendence into a new place. Movies and games can suck you in, but that sense of "presence" that people are chasing now is tangible with incredibly low-tech implementation. You go into VR expecting to be transported to a new, different place. When you come out, you're back here.

There's still room for keeping the real world around, but that's augmented reality, not virtual reality.

BreakAtmo posted:

I recently got a New 3DS to go with my Vita that I got at launch, and one thing I'd love to see in a third Sony handheld if they ever make it (besides L2/R2, Micro USB 3.0 and a microSD card slot), would be a 1080p autostereoscopic 3D OLED screen, along with a mandate for all games to run at 60fps in 960x540 3D (or 720p60fps if you turned the 3D off). The clean, sharp visuals of the Vita combined with the immersive 3D would be so drat good.

I can't possibly agree more, but I feel like the era of dedicated handhelds if you don't have Nintendo's cache of bankable franchises (Pokemon, really) is sort of over now that phones have supplanted so much of that audience. The Vita was released at a lovely time; it was incredibly powerful at release, but mobile tech refreshes with pretty significant leaps every six months or so. There's no competing with that, other than having physical controls.

It kills me, too, because Vita has sort of become THE indie machine. Most smaller games work perfectly, sell well (especially considering the install base) and let you play the full game on the go with no compromises. But it's a single-use device when phones and tablets do almost everything a console can't. It's just such a losing proposition.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 4, 2015

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
HellDivers is fantastic and you can get an achievement for spinning in a circle enough times. Dancing Queen

Feel free to add me for Hell Diving fun. PSN: Wristcrack

Rubicon fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 4, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SamBishop posted:

There's still room for keeping the real world around, but that's augmented reality, not virtual reality.
Yeah, augmented would still be ok with me. Honestly with all the poo poo that is all over the front of HTC's device they just announced, I figured one of them would be a camera so you can have a window into the real world while you are wearing it, but I was told that the technology to do that in real-time is still a ways off.

edit: the assignment won't be to get their opinion on VR tech, but rather to gather what other people have said about it and evaluate the quality of various sources. There are other assignments in other classes where I ask for their opinion. For example, today I asked another class to list the advantages and disadvantages of eating a sandwich you found on the sidewalk.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 4, 2015

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, augmented would still be ok with me. Honestly with all the poo poo that is all over the front of HTC's device they just announced, I figured one of them would be a camera so you can have a window into the real world while you are wearing it, but I was told that the technology to do that in real-time is still a ways off.

edit: the assignment won't be to get their opinion on VR tech, but rather to gather what other people have said about it and evaluate the quality of various sources. There are other assignments in other classes where I ask for their opinion. For example, today I asked another class to list the advantages and disadvantages of eating a sandwich you saw on the street.

Gooootcha, sorry, I misunderstood. I do feel there's some worth in also getting a first-hand account (good or ill; someone could just end up feeling sick, and that's just as viable if not more to discussing how the tech needs to grow), but it seems extremely hard to actually get a good account of the technology as a whole without fresh, real, first-hand accounts. Again, though, if you wouldn't mind sharing the results, I'd love to hear them via PM or something -- or here if it makes any sense.

As for VR/AR, Samsung's VR solution (which uses a phone for the screen and external sensors for the rest, provided by Oculus) does have a passthrough button that basically shows you the outside world with a button. That's probably one of the smartest things they've done considering it's meant to be used on the go. There are solutions out there, and I feel like we're not too far from a head-mounted display that lets you toggle between a pass-through (or a least a camera like the Samsung VR offering) and full immersion.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Helldivers is really fun, as everyone else has said. So far the only slightly nitpicky thing is that the matchmaking list does not filter out full games fast enough so the list is 90% matches in progress with 4/4. The best way to find a game with room is to uncheck the 'Hide ships in orbit' box, but then there is no way to know the level of the person you are joining or if they are just idling.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SamBishop posted:

I can't possibly agree more, but I feel like the era of dedicated handhelds if you don't have Nintendo's cache of bankable franchises (Pokemon, really) is sort of over now that phones have supplanted so much of that audience. The Vita was released at a lovely time; it was incredibly powerful at release, but mobile tech refreshes with pretty significant leaps every six months or so. There's no competing with that, other than having physical controls.

It kills me, too, because Vita has sort of become THE indie machine. Most smaller games work perfectly, sell well (especially considering the install base) and let you play the full game on the go with no compromises. But it's a single-use device when phones and tablets do almost everything a console can't. It's just such a losing proposition.

The fact that there doesn't seem to be many people who care about physical controls really, really sucks. They're so important for playing games well, but lovely touchscreen controls just seem to be 'good enough' for people. It's a case where I really do think 'casuals' are utterly ruining a particular section of the industry. It's a shame, because I think that hypothetical handheld could do OK, but Sony would have to push it HARD. I think a comparatively cheap way of going about it would be to get a bunch of porting houses to port some really classic titles (some of which you'll never see on mobile) to it for launch along with original stuff. Imagine it launching with ports of the PS2 GTAs, Max Payne 1&2, Demon's Souls FFX/X-2/XII HD, the MGS HD Collection, Metal Gear Rising, Resident Evil 4, etc., all running in 3D at 540p60, not to mention upgraded ports of PSP/Vita games (and BC with both, I would want the ports to be offered at 'upgrade' prices of $5-10 for anyone who owned the originals). Fat chance, of course. :(

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

BreakAtmo posted:

The fact that there doesn't seem to be many people who care about physical controls really, really sucks. They're so important for playing games well, but lovely touchscreen controls just seem to be 'good enough' for people. It's a case where I really do think 'casuals' are utterly ruining a particular section of the industry. It's a shame, because I think that hypothetical handheld could do OK, but Sony would have to push it HARD. I think a comparatively cheap way of going about it would be to get a bunch of porting houses to port some really classic titles (some of which you'll never see on mobile) to it for launch along with original stuff. Imagine it launching with ports of the PS2 GTAs, Max Payne 1&2, Demon's Souls FFX/X-2/XII HD, the MGS HD Collection, Metal Gear Rising, Resident Evil 4, etc., all running in 3D at 540p60, not to mention upgraded ports of PSP/Vita games (and BC with both, I would want the ports to be offered at 'upgrade' prices of $5-10 for anyone who owned the originals). Fat chance, of course. :(

I completely share your sentiment, save for a couple of really important areas:

Just porting a lot of PS2 games (just as an example) would be utterly impossible on mobile-focused architecture. What the PS2 did exceptionally well -- better than the PS3 could ever have hoped to do well, in fact -- is fill rate. Mobile GPUs are getting really, amazingly, incredibly good at balancing power draw vs. graphical output, but in many ways graphics tech has moved beyond what the PS2 was doing, which is essentially SUPER heavy-draw operations in terms of power to deliver something really complex at 640x448.

Forgetting the fact that the system was able to throw a ridiculous amount of info out at once, once you start scaling that up to modern resolutions, you need a stupid amount of power to do it "properly" (that is, render the games at a normal resolution people expect). The PS2 is Ken Kutaragi's masterpiece. It had a bunch of parallel processors working all at the same time, but they could talk to each other pretty drat quickly too. The result was stuff you saw like God of War or even how stuff like Burnout ran on the machines that should have been impossible -- and they kinda are at today's resolutions. They understood that they could pack so much into a single framebuffer and kick that out at 640x448 to make things that looked bonkers.

Emulation doesn't work like that. It tries to take specialized instructions and reroute them to foreign hardware, and we're finally, only now, getting to the point where a decent number of games can render at our monitors' resolution with computers orders of magnitude more advanced. The PS2 had a kind of proto-GPU in that it could handle graphics asks, but in a language that's nothing like how modern graphics cards handle it if you really wanted to make it work to its fullest.

The PS3 is an even bigger minefield. It wasn't really multi-core, it just had little instruction-crunching satellites that could handle floating point tasks like the goddamn devil, but you had to make it work for that. There's no analogous tech today. Emulating the PS3 would have to be brute force or a complete rebuild of the code to make it work. Cell is an alien architecture compared to where things have gone since it came out. Being a Kutaragi architecture, that is not a surprise.

In short, simple emulation of the PS3 right now is impossible. The PS4 has the fill rate to do some PS2 stuff, but it's an x86 machine, so it's going to have to brute force some stuff too even through emulation.

To go back to your original point, though, "casuals" haven't hosed anything up, they're just happy on their phones with games (many of them using the same hooks games have always had to lead them into the F2P deathmire) that cater to their tastes. Almost nobody has tried to actually move traditional controller-based games over to mobile because they are an abject failure in delivering the kinds of control we're looking for. Waggle got them in the door, but swipes and shakes and camera goofiness kept them on mobile. Our games are safe.

GTA V sold 35 million copies and Call of Duty is pretty much a guaranteed 10 mil lock every goddamn year -- even with Ghosts! There's nothing to fear from those other experiences, they've just washed out to be "not-ours" and I'm fine with that. I even play some of them from time to time until the prompts to buy poo poo with real money push me away. I got the best Call of Duty game in years this year. Nothing is going to stop our old, familiar games from coming out.

Also, the PS4 has sold over 20 million systems. Like, to actual people. Consoles are in no danger of going anywhere. Phone games are now their own thing, and I'm okay with that. The Casual vs. Hardcore debate is over. They have their phones/tablets now. Shootybangs still rule supreme.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
What's to keep a drunk friend from, say, farting in your mouth while you wear this VR headset

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

echronorian posted:

What's to keep a drunk friend from, say, farting in your mouth while you wear this VR headset

A surgically precise dook right into his mouth as he blasts off into outer space while wearing the same headset.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By far the most mysterious VR helmet related thing I have heard is HTC's apparently knowing where you are as you move around your room, but without any way for you to see where you are in your actual room. Or am I misunderstanding somehow?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Man I wish OlliOlli 2 would let you use the dpad for tricks instead of the stick - it just feels like I flail more with a stick than I do with a d-pad moveset.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Helldivers is already up on the EU store (search for it), for those who were waiting!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
How do I get pornhub on my ps4 is there a browser

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

The app is the best route but you have to uncheck the filter in your options first

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

you need the ps4 camera

E: wait, what, is that an actual thing?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
now if only this was the xbox one, then you could both be playing UNO with your camera on with porn hub on the sidebar.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SamBishop posted:

I completely share your sentiment, save for a couple of really important areas:

Just porting a lot of PS2 games (just as an example) would be utterly impossible on mobile-focused architecture. What the PS2 did exceptionally well -- better than the PS3 could ever have hoped to do well, in fact -- is fill rate. Mobile GPUs are getting really, amazingly, incredibly good at balancing power draw vs. graphical output, but in many ways graphics tech has moved beyond what the PS2 was doing, which is essentially SUPER heavy-draw operations in terms of power to deliver something really complex at 640x448.

Forgetting the fact that the system was able to throw a ridiculous amount of info out at once, once you start scaling that up to modern resolutions, you need a stupid amount of power to do it "properly" (that is, render the games at a normal resolution people expect). The PS2 is Ken Kutaragi's masterpiece. It had a bunch of parallel processors working all at the same time, but they could talk to each other pretty drat quickly too. The result was stuff you saw like God of War or even how stuff like Burnout ran on the machines that should have been impossible -- and they kinda are at today's resolutions. They understood that they could pack so much into a single framebuffer and kick that out at 640x448 to make things that looked bonkers.

Emulation doesn't work like that. It tries to take specialized instructions and reroute them to foreign hardware, and we're finally, only now, getting to the point where a decent number of games can render at our monitors' resolution with computers orders of magnitude more advanced. The PS2 had a kind of proto-GPU in that it could handle graphics asks, but in a language that's nothing like how modern graphics cards handle it if you really wanted to make it work to its fullest.

The PS3 is an even bigger minefield. It wasn't really multi-core, it just had little instruction-crunching satellites that could handle floating point tasks like the goddamn devil, but you had to make it work for that. There's no analogous tech today. Emulating the PS3 would have to be brute force or a complete rebuild of the code to make it work. Cell is an alien architecture compared to where things have gone since it came out. Being a Kutaragi architecture, that is not a surprise.

In short, simple emulation of the PS3 right now is impossible. The PS4 has the fill rate to do some PS2 stuff, but it's an x86 machine, so it's going to have to brute force some stuff too even through emulation.

This is all very interesting, I appreciate the tech talk. But I'm confused - if that's the case then why do we already have things like the GTA games on phones and tablets and the MGS/FFX HD Collections on the Vita? When I talked about those ports, I was largely meaning projects just like that being done more.

Of course it would depend heavily in the exact architecture and specs. I was thinking it would be VERY similar to the Vita - same architecture, same type of chips, but octocores rather than quad-core, about 2GHz, with 2-3GB of RAM or so.

quote:

To go back to your original point, though, "casuals" haven't hosed anything up, they're just happy on their phones with games (many of them using the same hooks games have always had to lead them into the F2P deathmire) that cater to their tastes. Almost nobody has tried to actually move traditional controller-based games over to mobile because they are an abject failure in delivering the kinds of control we're looking for. Waggle got them in the door, but swipes and shakes and camera goofiness kept them on mobile. Our games are safe.

GTA V sold 35 million copies and Call of Duty is pretty much a guaranteed 10 mil lock every goddamn year -- even with Ghosts! There's nothing to fear from those other experiences, they've just washed out to be "not-ours" and I'm fine with that. I even play some of them from time to time until the prompts to buy poo poo with real money push me away. I got the best Call of Duty game in years this year. Nothing is going to stop our old, familiar games from coming out.

Also, the PS4 has sold over 20 million systems. Like, to actual people. Consoles are in no danger of going anywhere. Phone games are now their own thing, and I'm okay with that. The Casual vs. Hardcore debate is over. They have their phones/tablets now. Shootybangs still rule supreme.

You misunderstand me - I agree with most of this, that's why I said 'in one area' - I'm talking very specifically about portable gaming machines, not individual games or home consoles. GTA and CoD have nothing to do with it. My point is that proper, dedicated handhelds largely aren't very profitable anymore (Nintendo aside), and I think it's because whereas in the old days anyone who wanted to game on the go at all, even if they only had a casual interest, had to get a proper handheld console. Now they can fulfill their light gaming interests with mediocre phone games. That's great for them, but we lose out because handhelds like the Vita need to sell to both casuals and hardcore gamers in order to find a footing. The reason why the PS4 is doing so well is because, as you noted, it appeals to both. Instead, millions of people who might have bought a Vita now settle for the convenient, 'good enough' phone instead. I love the Vita, and I will likely miss out on a Vita 2 at least partly because of this.

That said, I think Sony should try a third time - I have a sneaking suspicion that the Vita may have lost an immense number of sales purely because of the price of the memory, and I can imagine a successor potentially doing much better if only they used a microSD slot instead. I might be overestimating it, but I can imagine the majority of people looking at getting a Vita, only to see that a 32GB card costs $100 and say 'gently caress that poo poo' on principal alone.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 4, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
There is no doubt in my mind that the Vita would be more successful if the memory had sane prices or if it used a normal memory card, thus enabling the same. The price of memory cards, combined with making the digital purchases a very valid choice (sometimes even the only choice, e.g. Oreshika) makes the Vita a somewhat schizophrenic system - and it just feels wrong to pay the amount Sony wants for the memory cards, when normal SD memory cards (i.e., what the competitor uses) are almost ten times cheaper and you can use them elsewhere.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

There is no doubt in my mind that the Vita would be more successful if the memory had sane prices or if it used a normal memory card, thus enabling the same. The price of memory cards, combined with making the digital purchases a very valid choice (sometimes even the only choice, e.g. Oreshika) makes the Vita a somewhat schizophrenic system - and it just feels wrong to pay the amount Sony wants for the memory cards, when normal SD memory cards (i.e., what the competitor uses) are almost ten times cheaper and you can use them elsewhere.

Mostly agreed, but where are you seeing microSD cards ten times cheaper? Right now a Vita 64GB card is about $100, and as far as I know you can't get a decent 64GB microSD for less than about $35? At launch, 32GB Vita cards were about $100, and I doubt you could get a 32GB microSD for $10 in 2012.

edit: I just looked on eBay and actually did find a bunch of 64GB cards for only $10-15. Though the proper-brand ones from Samsung and SanDisk are more like $35 and are probably much more reliable.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 4, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Off-brand eBay micro-SD cards are almost certainly counterfeit bullshit at best.

Also there's a good chance memory cards start heading toward niche-land now that even Samsung is abandoning the micro-SD slot in phones and simply having a dedicated camera these days, even as a point-and-click POS, puts you in the most sophisticated 15% of photo-takers.

So maybe a future handheld is just a successor in the vein of the PSP Go with contemporary performance and useful amounts of storage. At that point it'd behoove the manufacturer to use storage and I/O methods able to reliably band out (transfer protocol transfer limit) the connection with whatever it's backing up to, except for times when it talks out (protocol IOPS limit).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 4, 2015

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

Mostly agreed, but where are you seeing microSD cards ten times cheaper? Right now a Vita 64GB card is about $100, and as far as I know you can't get a decent 64GB microSD for less than about $35? At launch, 32GB Vita cards were about $100, and I doubt you could get a 32GB microSD for $10 in 2012.

edit: I just looked on eBay and actually did find a bunch of 64GB cards for only $10-15. Though the proper-brand ones from Samsung and SanDisk are more like $35 and are probably much more reliable.

I didn't want to make proper calculation, that's why I said "almost":) I don't know about the prices in 2012, but checking prices now I can buy (converting currencies on the fly) 32 SD Samsung card (microSD + an adapter) for about 12 USD, whereas searching on-line I found a 32 GB Vita card shows its price at about 80 USD, and it goes up from there. I don't really look at the 64 GB Vita cards, since you have to import one and then customs add their fees and it's a hassle, but CDJapan has them priced at about 84 USD, which makes it a cheaper option even with custom fees added in :lol:.

So all in all, let's just say I didn't check too closely and was mistaken, it's more like 8 times more expensive I'm sorry for overstating of the difference.

Also, looking at eBay I can buy 128 GB Kingston SD card for about 20 USD, but that's an insane price and probably an outlier anyway.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

echronorian posted:

Nothing. That's why VR will never take off. The possibility of mouth farts.

AutomaticPrince
Jun 14, 2013
Anyone pick up Zombie Army Trilogy? I picked it up yesterday but haven't had the chance to play yet. Curious to what the feelings are on the game so far.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

I didn't want to make proper calculation, that's why I said "almost":) I don't know about the prices in 2012, but checking prices now I can buy (converting currencies on the fly) 32 SD Samsung card (microSD + an adapter) for about 12 USD, whereas searching on-line I found a 32 GB Vita card shows its price at about 80 USD, and it goes up from there. I don't really look at the 64 GB Vita cards, since you have to import one and then customs add their fees and it's a hassle, but CDJapan has them priced at about 84 USD, which makes it a cheaper option even with custom fees added in :lol:.

So all in all, let's just say I didn't check too closely and was mistaken, it's more like 8 times more expensive I'm sorry for overstating of the difference.

Also, looking at eBay I can buy 128 GB Kingston SD card for about 20 USD, but that's an insane price and probably an outlier anyway.

Oh, it's cool, I'm just quibbling. I mean, what what talking about video games on the internet even be without incessant pedantry? :v: Also, I would love to use that 128GB card in a Vita 2. It would actually be really nice if it had an SD slot rather than microSD, but space really is at a premium with these things.

Of course even a microSD slot has surprising potential if you're awful with money:

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
just picked up helldivers

PSN is NO_GRANDMA_NO if anyone wants to play this evening

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
I find it hilarious that a $17.99 twin-stick shooter accomplishes everything Destiny was attempting to accomplish, but with actual success.

Random maps instead of the same 5 maps over and over? Check.
Random objectives that are actually varied instead of 'stand still while Tyrion hacks a computer?' Check.
A deep system of character customization through weapons, perks, and airdrops rather than one unique ability? Check.
Actually feeling like you're part of a large scale war? Check.
Forcing extremely tight teamwork and tactics to have even the slightest chance of success? Check.
Easy to get into games with pubs, in any mode, at any time? Check.
Exploitative and near content-less expansion packs? Uh... Do not check.

It's like some weird mix of the idealized version of what Destiny should have been + Left 4 Dead + Geometry Wars + Getting to scream about democracy whilst murdering things.

Basically the game rules and if you don't buy it you are awful.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I thought Destiny was pretty successful myself. It scratches that same itch that Phantasy Star Online scratched so many years ago. I stopped playing it for a while because I had many other games to play, but I jumped right back in and had a great time the other day.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:homebrew:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hnnnnggg :shepspends:. I'm disappointed the front of the controller isn't a matching red-and-gold though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's a nice looking console.

In regards to Project Morpheus and whatever. Should 3D games be cross compatible with Oculus Rift and whatever ever goggles come out? I guess it depends if it's PS4 software or just a PC application or whatnot.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

God drat it why do they have to release these after I already bought a PS4.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hnnnnggg :shepspends:. I'm disappointed the front of the controller isn't a matching red-and-gold though.

Yeah and it wouldn't match my white Sony Gold headset either. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NESguerilla posted:

Yes, and I'm going to take comfort in it being really unlikely to ever hit the States.

In a post Akiba's Trip/Senran Kagura world I'd be surprised if it doesn't. I read an article a couple of years ago about how stuff like that, Hyper Dimension, etc. sells significantly better in the US than it does in Japan.

• Locked thread