Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Solid Jake posted:

Also bit of a swerve here but am I reading the Wizard right in that it learns 44 goddamn spells by level 20, not even counting cantrips or free spells from scrolls?

Yes. 6+(2*19).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Generic Octopus posted:

Yes. 6+(2*19).

44 spells per day.

8-10 encounters per day.

How many rounds is a fight expected to last again? 4-6 or so, right? Hmmm....

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

44 spells per day.

8-10 encounters per day.

How many rounds is a fight expected to last again? 4-6 or so, right? Hmmm....

To be fair, they get the same number of spell slots as all the other Real Casters--22 total, which is still a lot--they just have much, much, much more flexibility by having--at minimum--twice as many spells to pick from when preparing for the day.

Which kinda raises the question of what in the hell the advantage of spontaneous casting is supposed to be now, since they used to get more spell slots than prepared casters in 3.x but don't anymore.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As I understand it, the spellcasting paradigm now seems to be:

Clerics and Druids always "know" all of their possible spells, then "prepare" a subset, then can spend their spell slots on any of their prepared spells.

Wizards do not "know" all their spells right away, but they eventually can, and then "prepare" a subset, and then can spend their spell slots on any of their prepared spells

Sorcerors and Bards will only ever "know" a small subset of all their possible spells, but every spell they know is also always "prepared", and then can spend their spell slots on any of their known/prepared spells

Sorcerors justify their smaller spell list through their metamagic and Dragon/Wild magic abilities/modifiers, and the Arcane spell list vis-a-vis the divine casters

Bards justify their smaller spell list through their non-Arcane-spellcasting abilities such as Inspiration, better combat capability or school-dipping spell selection, and Bard-specific spell list

Whether or not this is actually "balanced" I leave up as an exercise to the imagination, but that's certainly what it the idea of it seems to be

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

The Crotch posted:

I started filling a survey out and then I realized that because two people can enter "not satisfied" to any question for completely loving opposite reasons, the whole god drat thing is meaningless. Does it actually get more meaningful as you get deeper into it?

And rangers are garbage.

The only meaningful part of it is the optional comments box at the end, limited to 500 words. The rest of it is completely useless because it doesn't tell them anything other than "look at this". Not "this is under/over powered" or "this is useless" or "this is stupid and unfun", nothing at all about the hows or whys things need altering, just "Look here, the problem is this bit".

It's even worse than the last one, at least that had the "which of these classes is more powerful" part to give some sort of intent to the response.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Had a question on Spells and spell related stats.

For the example I'll use my bard with a +3 CHA.

Spell Save DC: 13 (8 from class + 2 prof + 3 CHA)
Spell Bonus/Modifier: +5 (+3 CHA + 2 prof)
Spellcasting ability? Is this the total CHA or the CHA modifier?

I'm assuming that if a spell does not mention needing to roll for attack that the target simply makes a throw against the stat mentioned and if it's better than my Spell Save DC of 13 they resist?

If I need to roll for the spell I'm assuming I add the Spell Modifier +5 to the 1d20 roll? Is this against the targets AC. If it is AC do they also get a saving throw against it?

What is spellcasting ability for?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If the spell description mentions a spell attack, you as the caster will roll [d20 + Prof + CHA mod], and then it goes off if you can hit or beat the target's AC.

If the spell description mentions a saving throw, the target will roll [d20 (+ Prof if possible) + attribute mod of whatever stat is targeted], and then the target successfully saves if the target can hit or beat your [8 + Prof + CHA mod]

The "Spellcasting Ability" paragraph in the PHB just sort of describes how you tap into your spells narratively/per the in-game universe, and tells you that you use CHA as your spellcasting mod.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Super 3 posted:

I'm assuming that if a spell does not mention needing to roll for attack that the target simply makes a throw against the stat mentioned and if it's better than my Spell Save DC of 13 they resist?

If I need to roll for the spell I'm assuming I add the Spell Modifier +5 to the 1d20 roll? Is this against the targets AC. If it is AC do they also get a saving throw against it?
Just to be clear, you only roll if it calls for a Spell Attack (or I guess if it specifically calls for some other roll). And they only make a save if it calls for a save. Some spells just happen.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kurieg posted:

Just looking over the past month there's [...] and a bunch of articles about how being a DM is hard, and you should give your DM gifts for shouldering that burden.
When my kids were babies, I changed their diapers. My wife thanked me and sometimes gave me praise or a hug. I did the same for her. That is because changing diapers is crap and getting a bit of appreciation makes it easier to bear. With all this DM appreciation poo poo, they just make their game sound about as fun as changing diapers.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jimbozig posted:

When my kids were babies, I changed their diapers. My wife thanked me and sometimes gave me praise or a hug. I did the same for her. That is because changing diapers is crap and getting a bit of appreciation makes it easier to bear. With all this DM appreciation poo poo, they just make their game sound about as fun as changing diapers.

Well according to the articles, these mythical "players" apparently show up to the games with nothing but the clothes on their backs and expect to be fed and provided with all of their necessary materials. If I were one of those people then yeah I'd probably have to butter up the DM to keep the game going. Though I doubt you'd be buying him Rhinestone D20 Underwear.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've always found the sentiment that GMing is some taxing and onerous burden that someone has to nobly shoulder in order for elfgaming to happen to be a toxic one. I mean sure, it takes effort, but so does being a player in any given game if you aren't just sleepwalking through it. If being a GM in a given game is unnecessarily troublesome then that's maybe a sign that the game itself doesn't give the GM very many good tools to use just like how if character generation and combat rules are a huge pain in the rear end then it makes what the players do troublesome as well.

But if someone views the act of GMing as inherently something that's to be endured then that person shouldn't be GMing, full stop. It's something you should be doing because you want to do it and you find it enjoyable and that's it. If the idea is "well I don't want to GM but nobody else will so I guess I have to or we won't get to play D&D, sigh" then what you have there is the makings of a dysfunctional game group.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Kai Tave posted:

I've always found the sentiment that GMing is some taxing and onerous burden that someone has to nobly shoulder in order for elfgaming to happen to be a toxic one. I mean sure, it takes effort, but so does being a player in any given game if you aren't just sleepwalking through it. If being a GM in a given game is unnecessarily troublesome then that's maybe a sign that the game itself doesn't give the GM very many good tools to use just like how if character generation and combat rules are a huge pain in the rear end then it makes what the players do troublesome as well.

But if someone views the act of GMing as inherently something that's to be endured then that person shouldn't be GMing, full stop. It's something you should be doing because you want to do it and you find it enjoyable and that's it. If the idea is "well I don't want to GM but nobody else will so I guess I have to or we won't get to play D&D, sigh" then what you have there is the makings of a dysfunctional game group.

agreed but substitute the word "GM" for "moderator of a gaming forum" for comedy laughs

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

It is easier to post DM Appreciation articles than it is to make a fun game.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

DIY gift ideas, go buy stuff!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Kai Tave posted:

Toxic sentiments for toxic people, by and large. Remember that in the lead up to 5e Mearls was quoting ENWorld and RPGSite in their crusade against poo poo like "player entitlement." It gives constant handies to DMs because it's intended audience is made of pathetic authoritarians desperately squabbling for any amount of power they can get over their fellow players. The D&D DMs it's aimed at are people who don't want to DM for the sake of running the game, they're doing it explicitly so they can control something over their friends.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Darwinism posted:

DIY gift ideas, go buy stuff!

Just got in on a group at work and I bought the GM a gift card to the game store as a 'Thank you' for organizing etc. Gave it to him before the game and he was pretty surprised, guess that's not the norm.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

The D&D DMs it's aimed at are people who don't want to DM for the sake of running the game, they're doing it explicitly so they can control something over their friends.

I can understand in something like pbp having the dm be like "okay these are things I don't want in the game," but whenever there's been a rule dispute or a question or whatever at a live table it's always been a matter of consensus in my experience. I guess what's puzzling me is how anyone tolerates the "authoritarian DM" for longer than 1 session.

Super 3 posted:

Just got in on a group at work and I bought the GM a gift card to the game store as a 'Thank you' for organizing etc. Gave it to him before the game and he was pretty surprised, guess that's not the norm.

I mean if he's making an event out of it with food & stuff then yea, I can see throwing something his way or chipping in for the grub. Doing it just for being the DM would be a little strange to me though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I dunno, man. It's not a burden to be nobly shouldered, but I think the GM (especially in D&D) has more work to do than all the players combined. Most (but not all, thankfully) of my GMing experience has featured players not even coming with updated character sheets when they level, not doing their item wishlists or backstories, and in general not doing anything outside of the game session.

This is different from "player entitlement" ("how dare they presume that their character will grow and develop along any lines at all, let alone the ones they envisioned when they created the character?"), in my opinion.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

As I understand it, the spellcasting paradigm now seems to be:

Clerics and Druids always "know" all of their possible spells, then "prepare" a subset, then can spend their spell slots on any of their prepared spells.

Wizards do not "know" all their spells right away, but they eventually can, and then "prepare" a subset, and then can spend their spell slots on any of their prepared spells

Sorcerors and Bards will only ever "know" a small subset of all their possible spells, but every spell they know is also always "prepared", and then can spend their spell slots on any of their known/prepared spells

Sorcerors justify their smaller spell list through their metamagic and Dragon/Wild magic abilities/modifiers, and the Arcane spell list vis-a-vis the divine casters

Bards justify their smaller spell list through their non-Arcane-spellcasting abilities such as Inspiration, better combat capability or school-dipping spell selection, and Bard-specific spell list

Whether or not this is actually "balanced" I leave up as an exercise to the imagination, but that's certainly what it the idea of it seems to be

Essentially the sorcerer/bard limitation doesn't matter because there is an obvious hierarchy of good to trash-tier spells. Bards even more so because they have all those spells and are skill kings and can put in a good melee presence and have features besides.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Toxic sentiments for toxic people, by and large. Remember that in the lead up to 5e Mearls was quoting ENWorld and RPGSite in their crusade against poo poo like "player entitlement." It gives constant handies to DMs because it's intended audience is made of pathetic authoritarians desperately squabbling for any amount of power they can get over their fellow players. The D&D DMs it's aimed at are people who don't want to DM for the sake of running the game, they're doing it explicitly so they can control something over their friends.

Their communication style to the players is just patronizing this edition. "Well we're pretty sure the Ranger is okay but if you want we'll print some special rules just for you. Just make sure to ask your DM first if it's okay. And don't run with that d4, you'll put your eye out!"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Kurieg posted:

Their communication style to the players is just patronizing this edition. "Well we're pretty sure the Ranger is okay but if you want we'll print some special rules just for you. Just make sure to ask your DM first if it's okay. And don't run with that d4, you'll put your eye out!"

B-b-b-b-but, 4e talked down to me and was the baby edition...!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Don't worry dear, we'll take away all of mean old 4e's toys and put him in the corner with the Warlord and Swordmage.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is there anyone else even there any more? Has it been winnowed down to just Mike on his own?

Would explain the lack of consistent updates, and the shoddy editing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

Innocent DMs: B-b-b-but!

Stinky, entitled players: He-he-he!

Corner Gygax: The Grand Douchey of Karameikos!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is pretty fantastic.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

gradenko_2000 posted:

Holy poo poo I can see it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

homullus posted:

I dunno, man. It's not a burden to be nobly shouldered, but I think the GM (especially in D&D) has more work to do than all the players combined. Most (but not all, thankfully) of my GMing experience has featured players not even coming with updated character sheets when they level, not doing their item wishlists or backstories, and in general not doing anything outside of the game session.

The problem you're describing isn't "GMing takes more work" though. Players who don't update their character sheets? Players who, essentially, aren't holding up their end on the whole collaborative and cooperative experience thing? None of that has anything to do with how hard it is to GM, and the idea that the GM has to do "more work than all the players combined" is, frankly, bullshit. If it's the case that you, as a GM, are having to do more work than all the other players combined then you have a dysfunctional gaming group and you should really consider finding a more pleasant social activity to engage in with them or finding a better group to game with.

I mean, this isn't really an attack against your integrity or anything, I believe you when you tell me that you've had to do more work because your players are some combination of lazy or disinterested (or, more charitably, are interested in RPGs in a way that doesn't align with your own investment as a participant in the process), but what that means is that you're getting a raw deal from your game group, not that being a GM is inherently some insufferable obligation to be endured.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The thing that gets me is that "GMing is hard work" is mostly hard because, as a GM, you have to fight the systems in a lot of editions of D&D to get it to do what you want. It's a lot easier to DM 13th Age because you aren't having to fight it every step of the way.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The thing that gets me is that "GMing is hard work" is mostly hard because, as a GM, you have to fight the systems in a lot of editions of D&D to get it to do what you want. It's a lot easier to DM 13th Age because you aren't having to fight it every step of the way.

Some of the "hard work" GMs put up with is absolutely down to fighting the system. To beat a particular dead horse, Next's Challenge Rating system basically means that assembling a fight that delivers X experience is equivalent to tossing darts at a board. Will you achieve the perfect blend of challenge and tension or accidentally wipe the party? Who knows! It's fun to have your session derailed because you weren't planning to kill half the PCs and suddenly you have to madly scramble or fudge things, or maybe you put your foot down about it...you wear the Viking Hat after all...and now your players are pissed because that fight (which you totally thought would work out just fine) was some bullshit.

Repeated trial and error can, of course, ameliorate this. Plenty of 3.X/Pathfinder GMs have a solid handle on how to finesse those games to produce something that isn't completely whacked out in one direction or another, but a lot of that experience was acquired by making the decision, one way or another, to put up with something insufferable and finicky and opaque until it finally became second nature to them.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

ProfessorCirno posted:

Do you believe this stuff or is it just kind of auto-posting at this point?

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
It's all a conspiracy from Big DM.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

FRINGE posted:

One of 5e's creators is a crypto-fascist who's forums are filled with people loudly proclaiming that players who go into a tavern and order an elven wine without being told first that the elves make wine are too entitled and are trying to steal the DM's job by creating world details.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Kai Tave posted:

If it's the case that you, as a GM, are having to do more work than all the other players combined then you have a dysfunctional gaming group and you should really consider finding a more pleasant social activity to engage in with them or finding a better group to game with.
I think you're maybe overstating the problem, because that's been the case for pretty much every gaming group I've ever had. Even in Dungeon World, just putting together a few fronts is more work than my players were expected to do between sessions (which was nothing). The difference is just magnified when you're running a heavier system.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

One of 5e's creators is a crypto-fascist who's forums are filled with people loudly proclaiming that players who go into a tavern and order an elven wine without being told first that the elves make wine are too entitled and are trying to steal the DM's job by creating world details.

I hope that every single one of them gets their railroad adventure sidetracked by smarter players

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ProfessorCirno posted:

I dunno man. Calling Tarnowski one of 5e's "creators" is about on the same level as ranting about how swine are destroying gaming. :) He's terrible, but let's keep perspective, here.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

dwarf74 posted:

I dunno man. Calling Tarnowski one of 5e's "creators" is about on the same level as ranting about how swine are destroying gaming. :) He's terrible, but let's keep perspective, here.

There's nothing indicating that either him or Zak had any actual lasting influence on the system anyway, since it rips off so much crap from 3e and both of those gently caress-nuts have a nerd boner for 2e and earlier. I'm betting that the most Pundowski ever did for Next was chase Cook off the team.

FRINGE posted:

At this point I think he's doing the latter, since virtually every post I see from him now is just OH MAN THE HOBBY IS HORRIBLE HERE LEMME TELL YOU WHY.

Like, Cirno. Dude. We get it. You can stop now.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Isn't this then the DM's fault for not providing those details of his world before hand? Or is it the DM's fault for not just having the barkeep tell the players that drink doesn't exist? Sounds like those people can't improvise.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Needs the Lady of Pain standing in the corner shedding a single tear.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's not anybody's fault. The DM does not have an absolute lockdown on the details of the world, and insistence on having so is part of the problem of "being a DM is just so much work".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Splicer posted:

4E provides more support for combat, but doesn't provide less support for non-combat. On top of that, a non-spellcaster in 4E can gain quite a few additional non-combat abilities by taking non-combat utility powers, though they probably wouldn't actually do that because they're a shared resource pool for combat-related utility powers. This is one of the reasons why we were super excited when 5E looked like it might address this with Combat/Social/Exploration siloing, but then they went and hosed that up beyond all belief :shrug: matches.

I am not at all saying that because 4E combat is more complex it means you have less options for roleplay. It's more that I don't want to play with a grid and to me combat is something that happens in between stories. I feel like 4E was fixing a problem that I didn't have which was that spellcasters were more interesting, so they gave everyone loads of abilities to make up for it and it became a slog for me. I 100% feel that 5th is the easiest to just dump the grid with.

I guess 4th felt more like we talked about and did combat and things happened as a result of it. The best analogy I can think of is this.
You work in tech support. One manager focuses on you serving the customer and making sure things are fixed, sales happen but the people in that manager's team don't talk much about them, they're just part of the job, although a few people concentrate on them for bonus.
The other manager has a sales board and loves to talk about sales techniques and the amount you get in bonus for each one.
In both situations the job is identical but you FEEL like you're a salesperson in the latter. 4E felt like the latter, only sales is combat (duh).

I'd love the system in a computer game because I love complex character creation and loads of options, but in tabletop it's just not how my friends play.

And in regards to the player's handbook thing people commented on - I own it. My friends do not. They create their characters with me, because they're less invested in D&D than I am. This was again harder in 4th because all the options made it take ages.

Taear fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 4, 2015