Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

that is loving hilarious

e: Can't edit a quote in on my phone someone pls quote daedleh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Daedleh posted:

http://www.bluetablestore.com/premium-experiences-and-services/blue-table-painting-buy-the-company

Yours for only $440,000!

It even includes business mentoring and tutoring from the same person who thinks that a webstore is the ideal place to advertise the sale of his business!

This deserves to be on every page of the thread.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Pretty sure his "intellectual" assets are actually a huge liability thanks to the negative goodwill. Maybe if he paid someone else $440k to take it...

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Purely co-incidental, but the guy with the hosed up Chaos Dwarf army settled with BTP, which included an NDA cause to take down his critical videos. He couldn't say what the settlement was, but that he was happy.

quote:

I wanted to post an update.

A settlement was reached and I am satisfied.

Part of the settlement included non disclosure as is common in all legal settlements. Therefore I can not comment any further or provide any additional details.

What are the chances that with all of the rumours about cash flow problems, a ~$10k settlement (plus legal fees presumably) is enough to sink the ship?

E: haha, also 2 months ago: https://www.facebook.com/BlueTablePaintingUSA/posts/988875044474939

quote:

Be my room-mate. I'm looking for a business to share my building with, something wargame related that blends with (but does not compete with) what I'm doing. I have 10,000 square feet of workshop and showroom. I'm looking for a company that will/does employ 8+ people. Contact me at bluetablepainting@gmail.com if interested.

they goin' down

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 4, 2015

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Daedleh posted:

http://www.bluetablestore.com/premium-experiences-and-services/blue-table-painting-buy-the-company

Yours for only $440,000!

It even includes business mentoring and tutoring from the same person who thinks that a webstore is the ideal place to advertise the sale of his business!

Crap! I just thought that was their normal inflated prices. I did think it was a little steep for a Pro painted skeleton.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I like the way the listing states no Tax or Bank debt, when BTP have been selling Cheep customer credit for months

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

im gonna do it

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Don't, you have so much to live for! :ohdear:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Why is everyone so giddy they are going down?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Uroboros posted:

Have you read the thread?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Uroboros posted:

The service service they provide is useful. However, they are shoddy, inept, and cheat customers.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Uroboros posted:

They have a poor track record. They treat employees poorly, and they over charge customers for middling quality work.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Awww reviews are subject to approval :(

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Whoever buys it will have to post a video review of how the business is only hastily spray-primered with bad highlights and obvious mistakes.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

Whoever buys it will have to post a video review of how the business is only hastily spray-primered with bad highlights and obvious mistakes.

The company assessment has sloppy gold drybrush all over it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

quote:

very well painted custom Destroyer Lord

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Daedleh posted:

Yours for only $440,000!

Hey you can adjust the quantity; bundle and save!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Daedleh posted:

Yours for only $440,000!

You know. With all the goons around who are good at this poo poo and hate BTP, you'd think we'd be able to form a coop to buy it out, and turn it into a network for contract painters around here to up the quality and standards, and be collected under a banner together to share projects off they don't have time for, etc.

You know. Maybe.

Like. The oath thread could *become* BTP.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

John Dyne posted:

Hey you can adjust the quantity; bundle and save!

The first thing to know about the great green and blue table painting wars of 2027 is that it wasn't really about tables. Or painting. Especially painting.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

but theres no point buying that business instead of just starting your own that's what's so funny

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Blue Table death pool?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You know. With all the goons around who are good at this poo poo and hate BTP, you'd think we'd be able to form a coop to buy it out, and turn it into a network for contract painters around here to up the quality and standards, and be collected under a banner together to share projects off they don't have time for, etc.

You know. Maybe.

:gooncamp:
I'll start the wiki

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You know. Maybe.

If you want to buy a painting studio I will sell you mine for only $250,000 with all assets and no outstanding debts.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You know. Maybe.

No, no, no! You can't just submit ideas willy-nilly, it'll fall apart immediately. We need a project coordinator. Now, who wants to be the leader? No, not me, my busy shitposting schedule doesn't allow time for cat hherding.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You know. Maybe.

I would like to apply for a position as a Tier 1 artisan or resident Pro Painter for the web store, whichever is considered to be the lowest common denominator.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You know. Maybe.

This would mean hanging around with Shawn, while he teaches you how the business works for two months.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Pierzak posted:

No, no, no! You can't just submit ideas willy-nilly, it'll fall apart immediately. We need a project coordinator. Now, who wants to be the leader? No, not me, my busy shitposting schedule doesn't allow time for cat hherding.

I'm an unemployed project manager, what salary are you offering?

Cat herding model painters can't be any harder than herding software developers.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Why would you buy BTP, when you could just start such a network without first buying all that negative press, bad reputation, debt and (I guarantee) horrifically overvalued assets?

What do you want to bet that he will strip the copper out of the walls before signing over the studio?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Tell you what, give me half of that and if I can turn a profit with it, inside of two years, I'll give you back your original investment and you let me keep the profit. Deal?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Do "pay after delivery"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The listing is already gone, unfortunately. Perhaps someone explained to him how business sales work.

The trouble with starting your own painting studio, or with buying BTP, is that the business model doesn't work. Painting miniatures to a high quality is skilled labor, and skilled labor costs too much compared to what customers are willing to pay. customers aren't willing to pay enough for high-quality painted figures for a variety of factors... a lot of people do it for free for friends, a lot of people just do it themselves, the cost of painted vs. unpainted is too high of a delta, the opportunity cost of well-painted figures compared to just being able to buy more figures is a huge delta, etc. etc.

The only way to make a business like this work is to find much cheaper semi-skilled labor, and that almost certainly means outsourcing to a cheap labor country like china. If you don't feel like running a small chinese miniature-painting sweatshop, you just don't have a viable business model.

Yes, some folks do this as a hobby business. But once they figure out what they're charging vs. their time costs, they typically discover they're paying themselves minimum wage or less, and absorbing all other costs of doing business as well.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Leperflesh posted:

The listing is already gone, unfortunately. Perhaps someone explained to him how business sales work.

The trouble with starting your own painting studio, or with buying BTP, is that the business model doesn't work. Painting miniatures to a high quality is skilled labor, and skilled labor costs too much compared to what customers are willing to pay. customers aren't willing to pay enough for high-quality painted figures for a variety of factors... a lot of people do it for free for friends, a lot of people just do it themselves, the cost of painted vs. unpainted is too high of a delta, the opportunity cost of well-painted figures compared to just being able to buy more figures is a huge delta, etc. etc.

The only way to make a business like this work is to find much cheaper semi-skilled labor, and that almost certainly means outsourcing to a cheap labor country like china. If you don't feel like running a small chinese miniature-painting sweatshop, you just don't have a viable business model.

Yes, some folks do this as a hobby business. But once they figure out what they're charging vs. their time costs, they typically discover they're paying themselves minimum wage or less, and absorbing all other costs of doing business as well.

Right. Exactly.

That's why I'm saying, loving Oath thread, man! It's basically a hobby thing for a prize, right? And what are you going to do... keep all that crap you paint and then play with it? No. Don't kid yourself.

We have 5 levels.
Level one means you get painted by whoever joined the thread this month. You run the risk that they will not finish their oath on time and have to save the whales.
Level 2 is painted in time.
level 3 is painted in time and includes at least one other special oath points thing, like speed painting, or monthly theme conversion
level 4 is painted by someone who's earned 1st, 2nd, or 3rd at least once during the year
Level 5 is painted by Bachtere, or SRM if it's GW stuff and you want it to look like it came from the late 90s. Or Maybe that other guy who's doing the tyranids in that style. I forget.

Anyway, customers supply the models. Oathers supply the labor. We pay them in oath points. At the end of the month, the board of executives reviews their performance, assigns points and prizes, and invests the cash in a prize/legal fund.

Customers are given a EULA to sign that says they understand that by entering their crap in our contest, it might not be painted on time or at all, but one way or another, it's coming back to them within 2 weeks of the monthly time limit ending.

The Oath thread is sustained forever. We encourage oathers to practice on other people's poo poo instead of their own, and we finally put a wooden stake through the heart of the fiend called BTP. Down with BTP up with TBP.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Cross-posting some badly-painted models from me from over 20 years ago, for your unspiration purposes. The linked post has more info about the old models.
:siren:VERY OLD AND BADLY-PAINTED MODELS AHEAD:siren:
I was very young the time, so don't judge me. I think that after a 20-year break, I'm now doing better at painting than child-me thought possible.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
All hail space crusade! I kinda miss the dreadnought expansion and it's interchangeable parts. It's probably up in my parents loft somewhere...

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Honestly the two in the middle foreground don't look bad at all. If you had given the red one a wash and the blue one some highlights you'd have two tabletop-quality models right there.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Of course it was described as:

(I admit I took some liberties with formatting, but SA doesn't like font sizes/colors :v:)
Contrary to popular belief, bird sphincters are not pro painters. It seriously looks like someone let their parrot poo poo on tgeir mini and called it a day.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I just want to put this here. It's maybe NSFW? http://www.buffersmodelrailways.com/products/scenery-9/figures/adult

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
“My Kind of Model Shop” - James May

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

You know why these are great and slave girl objective is awful? Because a train guy would hide one or two of these models in a huge city set up and it would be his own little joke rather than being so horribly obvious with an objective marker.

Admittedly, yes a train guy could do a whole diorama with them, but I suspect that a subtle "Lovers in action" set would be put in the upper floor of a house on a bigger set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
...vampires?