Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

Multiple. definitely multiple MPGs

the regular aventador is rated 11/18, that's not bad.
Well, they have to go through the same cycle as any regular car for the testing, so it's not going to be that far out. It'd be hilarious if the testing included "X minutes full-throttle under load, Y miles at manufacturer-claimed top speed" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Well, they have to go through the same cycle as any regular car for the testing, so it's not going to be that far out. It'd be hilarious if the testing included "X minutes full-throttle under load, Y miles at manufacturer-claimed top speed" or whatever.

Yeah, but the murcielago was only rated at 8/13. Even the gallardo which is basically the size of a focus, only wider, was 12/20.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I don't know if it was posted yet but Ford said that they will build 250 GTs a year, for "several years" and price them at $400,000.

http://jalopnik.com/ford-will-make-250-gts-every-year-priced-around-lambo-1689236425

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's dissapointing as hell.

WIth all their research into cheap mass market carbon fiber, and the fact that it's using an off the shelf production block, and existing tech almost everywhere else, you would think that it couldn't cost anywhere near that to engineer and build.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

That's dissapointing as hell.

WIth all their research into cheap mass market carbon fiber, and the fact that it's using an off the shelf production block, and existing tech almost everywhere else, you would think that it couldn't cost anywhere near that to engineer and build.

You and I both know they will sell every last one of these, there will be waiting lists, the whole deal.

Not like I could have afforded one anyway so it might as well be $1,400,000.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They'd sell every one they built at $150k and 1000+ a year too. They might have stars in their eyes from seeing 05 GTs going for $300,000, but this is miles away from those cars.

I can't see it out outperforming the aventador or C7 Z06. it really is just a homologation special for lemans.

$150k is a "maybe some day" car. $400k and 250 a year is pretty much untouchable.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The first time I read it, my brain made the jump from GT to GT350 and then I was very sad and confused.

As it is, I can't say I really care. I like Fords, but I can't say I'd have one that's north of even $100k. There's some very stiff competition at that level.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I hope Clarkson buys one and it's constantly broken again.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Every year I go on the Porsche website and see how much I could pay for a car with less horsepower than a V6 Mustang.

So I guess what I am saying is that $150k isn't much these days.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh man it's happening

http://uk.advfn.com/news/DJN/2015/article/65710018

Hoping for a Mazda-Chrysler merger within 2 years.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Throatwarbler posted:

Every year I go on the Porsche website and see how much I could pay for a car with less horsepower than a V6 Mustang.

Christ, that's an ugly color.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I hope Clarkson buys one and it's constantly broken again.
I don't think it was the car itself that was the problem but rather the alarm system, installed by a third party, that he was required to have by law.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Carbon brakes are an expensive gimmick

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh man it's happening

You're pretty morbid if you hope to see something in good health starve, languish, and die an agonizing slow death for everyone to see

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Taco Box posted:

Christ, that's an ugly color.

Porsche know their demographics, the color is familiar and comforting you know.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

Oh man it's happening

VW might be the ones that need it. Mazda is barely behind them in sales in the US and will pull ahead in the next month or two. Looks like delaying their CUV's and not offering the interesting things they make in favor of decontented, boring poo poo is really paying off.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr. Apollo posted:

I don't think it was the car itself that was the problem but rather the alarm system, installed by a third party, that he was required to have by law.

I remember him mentioning a few times that the car simply wouldn't turn on and had to be hauled away by a truck for repair. I suppose the alarm system could've been doing that, but either way it was hilarious and I would love for it to happen to him all over again.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Is Porsche the king of letting you kill yourself with insane options? Like you can easily get a base Boxster up to $120,000...or you can get a 911 Carrera GTS with a decent sprinkling of extras for about the same money.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I remember him mentioning a few times that the car simply wouldn't turn on and had to be hauled away by a truck for repair. I suppose the alarm system could've been doing that, but either way it was hilarious and I would love for it to happen to him all over again.

I'm guessing the alarm was immobilizing it or something.

More to the point, why the gently caress would you need an alarm by law? That sounds utterly retarded, considering no one ever pays attention to an alarm going off anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

His insurance required it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That's hilarious. Does anyone, anywhere, actually pay attention to car alarms going off?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fknlo posted:

VW might be the ones that need it. Mazda is barely behind them in sales in the US and will pull ahead in the next month or two. Looks like delaying their CUV's and not offering the interesting things they make in favor of decontented, boring poo poo is really paying off.

VW certainly doesn't need it - have you looked at anything outside of US sales?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

That's hilarious. Does anyone, anywhere, actually pay attention to car alarms going off?

My buddy has a fun aftermarket alarm that comes with a two-way pager inside the keyfob. It vibrates and chimes when it detects something that might be a theft in progress.

Caught a hit and run driver with it; they were at a fancy restaurant, the pager freaks out, he gets up and looks out the window and someone in a Tacoma is gawping at the dent he put in his bumper before turning and getting in the truck to take off.

So they do work, but you need to have rational self-interest. :911:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 4, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PT6A posted:

It really doesn't matter if people around the car noticed. His alarm was the equivalent of lojack or OnStar. If it went off, it phoned home and someone disabled the ignition. The problem was, the thing kept going off and phoning home while he was driving. He would get a phone call with the person saying at the other end that his car was stolen and they were going to shut it down WHILE he was driving.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

More coverage of the Koenigsegg Regera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ns3XEkpsc&t=649s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWm8xEapjuQ

2000nm from 2500 to 7000rpm :aaa:

150kph to 250kph in 3.2 seconds :aaaaa:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 4, 2015

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I feel like it isn't going to sound cool without gear changes :(

No bark, no spitting flames, no hearing redline in any practical scenario short of a huge runway

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Party Alarm posted:

No bark, no spitting flames, no hearing redline in any practical scenario short of a huge runway

Sound doesn't matter when you are outrunning it. :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This is insane, like seriously some next level poo poo.

I should be in Geneva this Friday/Saturday if everything goes right - will try to get my rear end into as many of these as they let me :getin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

^^^^ See if you can catch a chat with Christian Von Koenigsegg, I hear he's a totally cool dude.

In the Evo video, they talk about the exhaust, which isn't where it appears to be. The actual exhaust from the engine goes to two fishtail titanium exhausts that are part of the venturis. Apparently they will sound like 8000rpm at 4000rpm because of the way they resonate.

I can't wait to see the reviews begin to appear. I'm pretty sure Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari are busy going "well, I'll be damned..." right now.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It sounds very similar to the system in the new Accord hybrid just with heaps more power.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/explaining-the-honda-accords-shrewdly-designed-new-hybrid-system-tech-dept

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Party Alarm posted:

Sounding like a spaceship makes up for it though so it's cool.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Porsche know their demographics, the color is familiar and comforting you know.

RIP Richard Briers

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

VW certainly doesn't need it - have you looked at anything outside of US sales?

No manufacturer should get into bed with chrysler. They killed mitsubishi in the US. When chrysler was dying down here in Australia due to the 70s oil crisis, they also looked towards mitsubishi for smaller models
When large chrysler cars and dealerships died completely down here, mitsubishi took over the whole lot. Look where it got them. The merc partnership as well. It's not going to go well with fiat either is my prediction.
Mazda have been partnered with ford since 1980 or something. I like mazda, so I don't want them anywhere near a chrysler, they're poison.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 5, 2015

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sounding like a spaceship makes up for it though so it's cool.

I remember seeing part of a documentary about the bike from The Dark Knight. Apparently they didn't want it to sound like it had gears, but they did want it to make a constant acceleration sound, so they created a special tone which constantly sounded like building revs, without ever running out of pitch range.

If this thing revs to over 8000 rpm, and 4000 rpm sounds like 8000 due to the exhaust design, plus the space-ship like noises of those motors, I don't think it will be boring.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fo3 posted:

No manufacturer should get into bed with chrysler. They killed mitsubishi in the US. When chrysler was dying down here in Australia due to the 70s oil crisis, they also looked towards mitsubishi for smaller models
When large chrysler cars and dealerships died completely down here, mitsubishi took over the whole lot. Look where it got them. The merc partnership as well. It's not going to go well with fiat either is my prediction.
Mazda have been partnered with ford since 1980 or something. I like mazda, so I don't want them anywhere near a chrysler, they're poison.

I don't think it was Chrysler that killed Benz in that deal, and the Fiat deal so far has been amazing for Chrysler, with FIAT being the group that can't seem to market a decent enough car to have a hit.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I remember seeing part of a documentary about the bike from The Dark Knight. Apparently they didn't want it to sound like it had gears, but they did want it to make a constant acceleration sound, so they created a special tone which constantly sounded like building revs, without ever running out of pitch range.

If this thing revs to over 8000 rpm, and 4000 rpm sounds like 8000 due to the exhaust design, plus the space-ship like noises of those motors, I don't think it will be boring.

That's pretty badass - it's called a Shepard Tone. I didn't know they used it in that movie, but it's a genius idea for automotive applications. Might get a little annoying on your commute though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

eyebeem posted:

I don't think it was Chrysler that killed Benz in that deal, and the Fiat deal so far has been amazing for Chrysler, with FIAT being the group that can't seem to market a decent enough car to have a hit.

The 500. Panda, and punto have all been very successful. Also commercial vehicles, Ferrari seems to be successful, etc.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The 500. Panda, and punto have all been very successful. Also commercial vehicles, Ferrari seems to be successful, etc.

I'm only talking about their inroads into the US, given we are discussing the Chrysler deal.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

In that case, whatever van that is they've been building in Europe forever and is the promaster now - this us becoming very successful commercially

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fo3 posted:

No manufacturer should get into bed with chrysler.

While I agree with this to an extent...

Fo3 posted:

They killed mitsubishi in the US.

No, what slaughtered Mitsubishi was giving away ridiculously stupid financing to anyone and everyone who would scribble a name on some paper. It only brought customers in who couldn't afford a car anywhere else (the cars still weren't good enough new to get anyone else in the doors), and those customers couldn't afford to take care of them either. So when they showed up used (or repossessed) they were in poo poo shape, resulting in massive depreciation. They've been shuffling around waiting for death ever since.

Fo3 posted:

The merc partnership as well. It's not going to go well with fiat either is my prediction.

Nah, that one went the other way around. Mercedes got a decent bit out of that phase (mostly, cash). Chrysler didn't get a whole lot of anything. And the Ford/Mazda partnership is all but dead; the last vestige of that is that both companies still use engines derived from their shared DOHC four-cylinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know why it always suprises me to learn that Mitsubishi is still in business (on the consumer automotive side, anyway). I've always thought their cars were poo poo (aside from early Monteros). And ugly. Plus I rarely see them on the road.