Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

VitalSigns posted:

Right, but the Supreme Court has in the past interpreted "Legislature" to mean the full legislating power of the state. The article I posted cites cases in which the court rejected challenges by state legislatures to a governor's veto or a referendum overseeing the districting.
Because, as I just said, those prior cases did not completely exclude the legislature from the system. That is what this regime does. That is the difference. Amar is trying to treat the state legislature as a characteristic, rather than necessary, component- then shift its definition based on that logic gap.

VitalSigns posted:

And the legislature should be excluded from the process of influencing the election of their own political party. If we're worried about corruption in democracy, a process that allows a party to pass legislation to skew elections its way is a pretty big one. Are you actually hoping the supreme court will overturn precedent and interpret the word "Legislature" narrowly here? How narrow are you willing to go? Does the Supreme Court even have jurisdiction over redistricting, or was Baker v Carr wrongly decided because after all, the Supreme Court isn't part of the Legislature so going by that one sentence in isolation it seems like they should have no say in districting requirements.

Oh come on, false dichotomy much? This case doesn't overturn freaking Baker. Have you read the scotusblog account of the questions asked?

If you think the legislature should be excluded from redistricting, then you want a federal constitutional amendment. That's the way it was designed to be. If you think influence of faction is a problem when mediated through democratic elections and a legislature, how would putting it to a majority vote be better? The entire purpose of representative government is to prevent that state of affairs.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

If you think the legislature should be excluded from redistricting, then you want a federal constitutional amendment. That's the way it was designed to be. If you think influence of faction is a problem when mediated through democratic elections and a legislature, how would putting it to a majority vote be better? The entire purpose of representative government is to prevent that state of affairs.

Redistricting isn't up to majority vote in Arizona. It's done by an independent nonpartisan districting commission.

E: Also I'm reading the oral arguments, and the plaintiff is disagreeing with you. His complaint is that the commission is too undemocratic because it's unelected and unaccountable to the people :lol:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 4, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

VitalSigns posted:

Redistricting isn't up to majority vote in Arizona. It's done by an independent nonpartisan districting commission.

You've got to be being willfully dense now. How was that commission created? How are its members established? What is preventing me from spending $20 million to make it the Vox-dependent nonpartisan districting poster with a good ad campaign? Read this again.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 4, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

You've got to be being willfully dense now. How was that commission created? How are its members established?

It was established by the referendum, but it's pretty ridiculous to say well WHAT IF the people passed a referendum to redistrict by direct vote. They didn't.

If referenda are so bad, the Arizona constitution has a provision to amend it. Let's not pretend that this case has anything to do with a principled opposition to direct democracy instead of partisan advantage, especially since the plaintiff's actual complaint is the independent commission isn't democratic enough.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Arizona constitution isn't the controlling law. The federal Constitution is. I don't give a poo poo if the plaintiff's motive is to eat puppies, they're arguing from the actually relevant law, and so far it looks like SCOTUS is going to decide in their favor. You're not reasoning from what the law is, you're reasoning from what outcome you want.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

You're not reasoning from what the law is, you're reasoning from what outcome you want.

So are you. You're bringing an irrelevant objection to direct democracy into this, when the case really turns on what the federal constitution means, and not on the merits of direct democracy.

Discendo Vox posted:

The Arizona constitution isn't the controlling law. The federal Constitution is. I don't give a poo poo if the plaintiff's motive is to eat puppies, they're arguing from the actually relevant law, and so far it looks like SCOTUS is going to decide in their favor.
I don't agree with your argument that there's a meaningful difference between the precedent in previous cases regarding the governor's veto or other referenda affecting redistricting and this, but I'm willing to agree to disagree since this is exactly the issue that's going to divide the court whichever way their 5-4 ruling turns out here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

So are you. You're bringing an irrelevant objection to direct democracy into this, when the case really turns on what the federal constitution means, and not on the merits of direct democracy.

I'm citing to loving Fed 10 here! What more could you possibly need in terms of constitutional interpretation!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Have any of our prosecutors read the briefs or transcript in davis v ayala? Interested in how you defend an ex parte batson challenge. I mean, maybe excluding the defendant, but to have the challenge heard in camera, no record, with the defense attorneys excluded in a capital case? That smells fishy.

I understand that maybe it's too late on habeas, but what the hell?

Skimmed a summary. I don't do federal habeas but my initial thoughts are:

1. Seriously? WTF? First off, the fact they excluded ALL black and latino jurors in and of itself is o_O. Just when I think we've reached a point in history where we can get rid of the Batson doctrine because prosecutors no longer believe they need to boot minorities for juries we get poo poo like this. For what it's worth, I actually prefer working class minority jurors with no criminal records. Now college students on the other hand? gently caress 'em. drat kids get off my jury.

2. Why the hell would the trial court do this in camera? That's...no. What possible non discriminatory reason could you have to strike a juror that has to be super secret? Given the huge amount of deference you get if you can articulate something reasonable, odds are you will prevail so just put it all on the record. done and done.

3. The issues are interesting. I am not as well-versed in federal habeas as I want to be, but Batson issues are extremely difficult to win on appeal, and even harder on collateral challenge. (Usually due to lack of record) I suspect the harmless error analysis is correct here (unless they want to say it's structural error...but that seems unlikely) But violation and prejudice are two separate questions, so 9th circuit seems to have really screwed the pooch in saying proving harmlessness proves no constitutional violation. They are two separate questions.

I deal with this type of analysis a lot in the context of ineffective assistance of counsel 6th amendment claims and while since you need to prove both deficient performance AND prejudice a court can find the petitioner failed to prove one and punt the other, but I've never seen a habeas court claim they are the same question.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 4, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Thank you AR.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm citing to loving Fed 10 here! What more could you possibly need in terms of constitutional interpretation!

I don't know if you're being willfully dense or are a bonafide moron, but the advocates of independent redistricting commissions are not calling for the replacement of the American system of governance with something resembling Athenian democracy. Which makes your claim that your position is backed up by Madison absurd. The question is whether "legislature" will continue to be construed to mean legislative authority or if it will be redefined on a temporary and ad hoc basis in order to create a rationale to allow Republicans to engage in cynical anti-democratic maneuvering.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Insect Court posted:

I don't know if you're being willfully dense or are a bonafide moron, but the advocates of independent redistricting commissions are not calling for the replacement of the American system of governance with something resembling Athenian democracy. Which makes your claim that your position is backed up by Madison absurd. The question is whether "legislature" will continue to be construed to mean legislative authority or if it will be redefined on a temporary and ad hoc basis in order to create a rationale to allow Republicans to engage in cynical anti-democratic maneuvering.

The regime at issue completely circumvents the legislative authority. That's the point- and that's what distinguishes it from other cases involving regulation or devolution of redistricting authority. The commission was created outside of the legislature, which is not the public of the state at large. Scalia may be justly hated, but he has a point when he says that "legislature" has never meant what Waxman is trying to say it means.

Again, the fact that you think the "maneuvering" is anti-democratic doesn't matter, if that's the law. The solution countenanced by the creators of that law is to elect a different legislature- or demonstrate that the "maneuvering" is otherwise illegal, as per Baker. If you don't like that law, the solution is to amend the Constitution.

edit: Clement makes the antidemocratic argument (and hey! cites #10!) starting at page 31.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 4, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Arizona constitution is kinda interesting: http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/const/4/1.p1.htm

quote:

Section 1. (1) Senate; house of representatives; reservation of power to people. The legislative authority of the state shall be vested in the legislature, consisting of a senate and a house of representatives, but the people reserve the power to propose laws and amendments to the constitution and to enact or reject such laws and amendments at the polls, independently of the legislature; and they also reserve, for use at their own option, the power to approve or reject at the polls any act, or item, section, or part of any act, of the legislature.

I wonder if they would have written that differently if the magic word was "legislature" not "legislating authority"

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm just busy watching a state court override a federal court over in Alabama. This should get interesting, though it probably won't reach the Supremes. Would it?

Seriously, let's assume the entire State Supreme is nucking futs, what happens next?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Warcabbit posted:

I'm just busy watching a state court override a federal court over in Alabama. This should get interesting, though it probably won't reach the Supremes. Would it?

Seriously, let's assume the entire State Supreme is nucking futs, what happens next?

Depends. what's the issue?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ActusRhesus posted:

Gay marriage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ActusRhesus posted:

Bama's elected Supreme Court headed by Roy "fired once already for defying federal order" Moore is fighting tooth and nail against marriage equality. First he personally ordered private judges to not issue licenses to avoid "confusion." After that hit shut down by a federal judge again, they've now issued another order to the probate judges saying again to disobey the federal order.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Bama Supremes know they will get slapped for it, but it'll give them martyr cred for their next election so they don't care.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yup. Here's the order https://acis.alabama.gov/displaydocs.cfm?no=642402&event=4AN12324A

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
that King isn't going to be laughed out of court is just ridiculous

gently caress 'em

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

gently caress 'em

I actually skimmed most of that 130 pages of primarily footnotes looking to see if there was a dissent and I can appreciate what he has to say. He doesn't want marriage equality either, but at least has the sack to call out the other judges and the people that filed this action stating that the SCoA has no jurisdiction, the parties that brought the case cannot pursue the action on behalf of the state, they have no standing, their request was insufficient, and the other justices are addressing questions not addressed in the request for relief.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

gently caress 'em

there is always the chance that they took it just to laugh it out of court because scalia has some integritahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha it's going to be 5-4 with at least four justices deliberately botching basic statutory interpretation

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think we can all agree that it's not at all a good thing that they are even taking this up. Clearly they want another crack at the ACA.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Oh come on, 5-4? We can get more creative than that. It's going to be another hydra of a decision. Three justices will concur with about 60% of one opinion, scalia will have one entirely by himself, and there will be three to five different dissents on each salient point. In the end it's going to do very little other than to make con law student struggle to figure out what the gently caress the court is trying to say.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think we can all agree that it's not at all a good thing that they are even taking this up. Clearly they want another crack at the ACA.

in a reasonable world they would have taken it up purely because one of the lower courts deliberately misinterpreted it and they just wanted to smack this silliness down early

that said, lawl

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm still hoping that one day there will be a fully interpenetrated SCOTUS decision- each justice writing an opinion with no original content, but only sentences claiming affiliation with parts of the other justices' opinions.

Example:

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 4, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Scalia: I agree fully with words 4-7 of the post below this one.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

RBG: I agree fully with words 2, 3 and 8 of the post above this one.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm still hoping that one day there will be a fully interpenetrated SCOTUS decision- each justice writing an opinion with no original content, but only sentences claiming affiliation with parts of the other justices' opinions.

Example:

Clearly we need Walter Benjamin as first Judge Dredd for life.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't it also turn out that 2 of the people in the suit weren't even eligible for exchanges to begin with?

What would it mean if they take away 10 million people's insurance based on political reasons? Clearly this case shouldn't have been heard and is completely political. Isn't that kind of action by the supreme court unprecedented and insane?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mitt Romney posted:

Didn't it also turn out that 2 of the people in the suit weren't even eligible for exchanges to begin with?

What would it mean if they take away 10 million people's insurance based on political reasons? Clearly this case shouldn't have been heard and is completely political. Isn't that kind of action by the supreme court unprecedented and insane?

No, this sort of thing is fairly routine- and specific standing of the original claimants isn't always as important as you'd think at the SCOTUS level. An important element here is that the administration isn't raising the standing issue-they want the case heard on the details/merits. Additionally, a part of the basis for hearing the case could easily be to slap it down as baseless.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

No, this sort of thing is fairly routine- and specific standing of the original claimants isn't always as important as you'd think at the SCOTUS level. An important element here is that the administration isn't raising the standing issue-they want the case heard on the details/merits. Additionally, a part of the basis for hearing the case could easily be to slap it down as baseless.

Is there some sort of requirement to grant certiorari specifically in order to tell someone they never should have filed the suit? It just seems like that's a petty use of the court's time even if it's their call.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's still an outside chance that Scalia, Thomas, and/or Alito wanted a chance to bloviate about the ACA in a dissent because they are still butthurt about NFIB v Sebelius, and Roberts gave them a 4th vote for cert as an indulgence.

But yes it's more likely that we got to four from justices who convinced themselves that there was an interesting statutory interpretation question that just so happened to be buried in the ACA.

There is not an interesting statutory interpretation question that just so happened to be buried in the ACA. This is the legal equivalence of biblical numerology

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Is there some sort of requirement to grant certiorari specifically in order to tell someone they never should have filed the suit? It just seems like that's a petty use of the court's time even if it's their call.

The idea would be to get people to stop filing these suits- which may be a good use of the court's time, given the amount of resources that are being consumed by every conservative group in the US trying to set up test case challenges. And they would have to grant cert for that to really stick- otherwise the response from the ACA challengers would be to go for a circuit split.

vvvvv That's a good point, although it would be a weird argument for them to come down on.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 4, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

People forget that Kennedy was against the ACA. He Scalia, Alito, and Thomas could have granted Cert.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a matter of jurisdiction. If all four don't have standing (and there were allegations that none had standing but my recollection is it was weak for one of them) then the Supreme Court cannot hear the case because there is no case or controversy. It becomes a prohibited advisory opinion.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

evilweasel posted:

It's a matter of jurisdiction. If all four don't have standing (and there were allegations that none had standing but my recollection is it was weak for one of them) then the Supreme Court cannot hear the case because there is no case or controversy. It becomes a prohibited advisory opinion.

Right, but my understanding is the administration has left that completely out of their filings, putting it in a fun easy-to-overturn gray zone.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

People forget that Kennedy was against the ACA. He Scalia, Alito, and Thomas could have granted Cert.

I haven't forgotten. King just seems too dumb for Kennedy to grant a cert on the merits, and I say this having read every word of his hilarious DOMA decision.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Right, but my understanding is the administration has left that completely out of their filings, putting it in a fun easy-to-overturn gray zone.

Why? Why would they have done that?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

A court is required to inquire into the standing of the litigants before it if it has any doubts that they have standing, even if it's not raised by either party. That said, I doubt they'll do that as well as nobody's interested in prolonging this.

mdemone posted:

Why? Why would they have done that?

They want a decision on the merits. Gives them certainty either way about what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Forgive the possibly basic bitch question, but can the Court punt on standing if the issue is brought up in Amicus briefs?