Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah not really a fan of any smoke, particularly the highly engineered 50% THC or whatever it is strains that are all the rage around here that give people who never smoke weed a contact high very easily. Call me crazy but I don't think it's unreasonable to have people and their children not want to be forced to be exposed to your loving drugs on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The smell may be annoying, but I wouldn't worry too much about your niece. The concentration in the air from someone smoking outside is negligible, exhaust fumes even on a quiet street are probably more of a health concern. Air quality is just plain lovely in populated areas.

This is a truly bizarre argument, cars produce lots of horrible pollution so I shouldn't worry about the fact that I'm getting a contact high and questioning whether I actually have eight years sober or not as well as not try to figure out if my niece is getting a contact high but it's ok don't just don't worry about it bro cities are filthy? What?

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Pryor on Fire posted:

This is a truly bizarre argument, cars produce lots of horrible pollution so I shouldn't worry about the fact that I'm getting a contact high and questioning whether I actually have eight years sober or not as well as not try to figure out if my niece is getting a contact high but it's ok don't just don't worry about it bro cities are filthy? What?

Unless you are in a small enclosed space with someone smoking weed for a while, you aren't getting a contact high.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Matey posted:

Unless you are in a small enclosed space with someone smoking weed for a while, you aren't getting a contact high.

No way bro, that 50% smoke got me hooked on meth again immediately after I caught a whiff of it passing by the enormous mobs of homeless that effectively rule the city.

I think I must live in a different Denver?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah not really a fan of any smoke, particularly the highly engineered 50% THC or whatever it is strains that are all the rage around here that give people who never smoke weed a contact high very easily. Call me crazy but I don't think it's unreasonable to have people and their children not want to be forced to be exposed to your loving drugs on a daily basis.

You're the guy that freaks out about people smoking a cigarette on the street corner, aren't you?

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
It ruins the social ambiance to see people puffing away on cigarettes like delinquents all over the place. It's the difference between a glass of wine with dinner and drinking four loko from a brown bag in front of 7-11.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

computer parts posted:

Also most people don't drink during the day.

These brunch mimosas aren't going to drink themselves :argh:

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Stop bitching about smoking weed in public. This think-of-the-children concern trolling is the same bullshit argument that's been used to prop up prohibition in the first place. If someone is smoking weed in public as you happen to be walking by, do the same exact thing you do when someone is smoking a cigarette: keep walking.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I actually don't like people smoking cigarettes in public because it smells disgusting and they usually don't even bother trying to blow it away from you. No, please don't blow all your cigarette smoke into my face as you walk by.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
For Germangoons:

Germany's Green Party has presented a proposal to legalize cannabis.

In short, the proposal would allow for legal possession of up to 30g of product for anyone above the age of 18. It also allows for distribution through licensed retailers, who must have a clean criminal record, would be subject to periodic government inspections, and would be prohibited from setting up shop near schools and other youth institutions.

This is seeing support from all sides except lawmakers; journalists, law enforcement, the general population, and pretty much everyone who isn't a Worried Mom who thinks weed is crack seem to be mostly supportive or indifferent. The stated intention of the green party is to stimulate public debate in favor of legalization to put pressure on the other parties.

The proposed legislation.

snorch fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 4, 2015

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

Pryor on Fire posted:

Don't worry if it's anything like Colorado everyone will ignore that no smoking in public places bit 100% and every time you step outside your door you get to inhale marijuana because the police refuse to waste time ticketing the thousands of people constantly smoking in public. I just want to take a walk with my niece can you put that poo poo out already? :sigh:
Do you take your niece on walks through Phish shows at Red Rocks? Because that hasn't been my experience at all here in Denver.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

GreyPowerVan posted:

I actually don't like people smoking cigarettes in public because it smells disgusting and they usually don't even bother trying to blow it away from you. No, please don't blow all your cigarette smoke into my face as you walk by.

So? Legalization movements are not platforms for people to spout how much they don't like smoke in their face. It's a non-issue

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FreshlyShaven posted:

How is this any worse than smelling tobacco smoke?

You're aware that we've gotten rid of that in most civilized places, right?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Anyway, getting back to policy stuff.

If you want to see more examples of grasping, nay, flailing at straws, a couple more good ones came out as of late:

--- NYPD Commissioner blames uptick in murders on weed, "The seemingly innocent drug that's been legalized around the country.": http://gothamist.com/2015/03/03/marijuana_is_murder_bratton.php

-- Anit NGO attributes, in part, the quadrupling of heroin ODs to the legalization of marijuana:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/3/4/heroin-overdose-deaths-quadrupled-since-2010.html posted:

David G. Evans, of the Drug-Free America Foundation, blames the use of less-harmful drugs for the uptick in heroin use.

“I think heroin deaths are going up in part because the attitude has changed towards marijuana,” he said. “Kids now think marijuana is a medicine so it’s okay to use it. You get involved in a drug culture, you get high, you get addicted, one drug just seems like the other, and I think that’s a big part of it.”

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

what, like, the moon? people smoke on the street all the time. itt fishmech betrays his fundamental disconnect with the concept of being outdoors in a city

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
As a weed smoker who lives somewhere where it's now legal and not allowed to be used in public spaces y'all need to grow the gently caress up.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

Nintendo Kid posted:

Outside of a couple of rich towns in California, no, we haven't. You can smoke a cigarette on the street in 99.9% of the US, in Canada, Australia, Europe, Africa, East Asia and just about every other country except for territory controlled by ISIS.

quote:

- Anit NGO attributes, in part, the quadrupling of heroin ODs to the legalization of marijuana:

I mean, this is obviously idiotic, but especially so considering that the uptick in heroin use is directly attributable to prescription opiate use and there's strong evidence that giving people access to marijuana reduces the use of prescription opiates. Luckily, I don't think people are still gullible enough to buy the whole "pot is a gateway drug" nonsense.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FreshlyShaven posted:

Outside of a couple of rich towns in California, no, we haven't. You can smoke a cigarette on the street in 99.9% of the US, in Canada, Australia, Europe, Africa, East Asia and just about every other country except for territory controlled by ISIS.

Just about every public facility and a pretty hefty range outside the doors in a whole bunch of states - apparently just a few towns in California. :rolleyes:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just about every public facility and a pretty hefty range outside the doors in a whole bunch of states - apparently just a few towns in California. :rolleyes:

You know the conversation was about people smoking outside, right?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

They are also a threat and will be dealt with this century.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KillHour posted:

fishmech is incapable of admitting fault so now the conversation will pivot to the 25-50 foot radius near public doors as being the sole constituting characteristic of 'outside'

when i take my niece on walks we just do laps on the welcome mat

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does wherever you guys live allow public consumption of alcohol? Cuz we sure as hell don't.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

Yeah that's not legal in a lot of outside in a lot of places? That is the point.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah, other than cigarettes, what other drugs can be consumed while walking down the sidewalk. Not to mention the fact you guys are acting like there are cops on every loving street watching out for you guys and you're too stupid to go hide somewhere without a lot of people for 5 minutes to get your smoke on. Have none of you actually smoked/drank in public areas before and not know how this works?

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

site posted:

Does wherever you guys live allow public consumption of alcohol? Cuz we sure as hell don't.

No but because alcohol is legal to possess, people have the ability to drink alcohol in public illegally. If alcohol were illegal, people would be forced to consume in private.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

No but because alcohol is legal to possess, people have the ability to drink alcohol in public illegally. If alcohol were illegal, people would be forced to consume in private.

You guys are complaining that where weed is legal you can't consume it outside, so I don't understand the relevance.

Plus this assumes that people don't drink/smoke outside illegally anyways which is retarded.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It's illegal to smoke inside my apartment, and illegal to smoke outside, so even though I have a weed store down the street I don't have any place where I can legally smoke my weed. Nobody really gives a gently caress if you smoke outside though. Every time I walk by union station I smell weed smoke, and being near a few bars I smell it walking down the street all the time. I don't smoke any more, so I don't really care, I just thought that was bullshit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Full Battle Rattle posted:

It's illegal to smoke inside my apartment
Is this part of your rental agreement?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

site posted:

Those laws are selectively enforced for racist purposes and are bad laws to begin with.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

site posted:

Is this part of your rental agreement?

I could have swore this was part of the Colorado Indoor Clean Air Act, but looking at the text of it suggests it's not. Still, my lease was pretty clear about my apartment being strictly non-smoking, and very, very explicit that this included both marijuana smoke as well as vapor. So at the very least, it's a violation of my lease.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

site posted:

No, but that's a) because there are places where you can walk in and order a beer(we call them bars.) There are no equivalents yet for that in legalized states and b) the explicit purpose of banning public drinking is to prevent the noise, nuisance, violence and vandalism that usually follows any gathering of people drinking alcohol. Pot doesn't make people louder, more aggressive or more violent so there's not the same justification. And even then, there are usually exceptions; you can drink wine at classy(read: upper-class) outdoors events, for instance in many places.

quote:

Yeah that's not legal in a lot of outside in a lot of places? That is the point.

Jesus Christ, you're thick.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FreshlyShaven posted:

Jesus Christ, you're thick.

Sounds more like you are.

I could have swore this was part of the Colorado Indoor Clean Air Act, but looking at the text of it suggests it's not. Still, my lease was pretty clear about my apartment being strictly non-smoking, and very, very explicit that this included both marijuana smoke as well as vapor. So at the very least, it's a violation of my lease.

Yeah a lot of lease terms are quite dickish that way.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Powercrazy posted:

Those laws are selectively enforced for racist purposes and are bad laws to begin with.
Not in ak it's not.

Then don't complain and move to somewhere where it's allowed if it means that much to you. You knew what you were getting into when you signed the lease. How often does your landlord make unscheduled visits that this would even be an issue anyways. I've smoked in every place I've lived, and never gotten caught.

FreshlyShaven posted:

No, but that's a) because there are places where you can walk in and order a beer(we call them bars.) There are no equivalents yet for that in legalized states and b) the explicit purpose of banning public drinking is to prevent the noise, nuisance, violence and vandalism that usually follows any gathering of people drinking alcohol. Pot doesn't make people louder, more aggressive or more violent so there's not the same justification. And even then, there are usually exceptions; you can drink wine at classy(read: upper-class) outdoors events, for instance in many places.
Stoners up here are loud, like to leave trash all over the place, and generally don't give a gently caress who they annoy or why (I know because I used to be one of these guys). Maybe it's different where you live but don't pretend it's not an issue. Having a weed bar isn't going to solve the issue. And drinking at public events doesn't mean public drinking is allowed, see: the cops lined up outside the parking lots of said events waiting to catch too drunk drivers and those trying to bring alcohol out of the event with them.

This all still ignores the fact you are all apparently too goddamn stupid to not smoke outside literally in front of cops, though. I've smoked outside hundreds, maybe thousands, of times outside and have never gotten busted.

site fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 4, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

site posted:

Yeah, other than cigarettes, what other drugs can be consumed while walking down the sidewalk.
Cocaine, if you're discreet. :haw:

I'm not sure that there are any laws about the self-administration of any of the quasi-legal powder drugs, only that you'd probably have to explain yourself. And public intoxication if you're obviously under the influence, although that is independent of where they were consumed.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

site posted:

Not in ak it's not.

Then don't complain and move to somewhere where it's allowed if it means that much to you. You knew what you were getting into when you signed the lease. How often does your landlord make unscheduled visits that this would even be an issue anyways. I've smoked in every place I've lived, and never gotten caught.

Stoners up here are loud, like to leave trash all over the place, and generally don't give a gently caress who they annoy or why (I know because I used to be one of these guys). Maybe it's different where you live but don't pretend it's not an issue. Having a weed bar isn't going to solve the issue. And drinking at public events doesn't mean public drinking is allowed, see: the cops lined up outside the parking lots of said events waiting to catch too drunk drivers and those trying to bring alcohol out of the event with them.

This all still ignores the fact you are all apparently too goddamn stupid to not smoke outside literally in front of cops, though. I've smoked outside hundreds, maybe thousands, of times outside and have never gotten busted.

The fact that you can get away with it if you are "smart" is actually evidence it's a bad law.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Powercrazy posted:

The fact that you can get away with it if you are "smart" is actually evidence it's a bad law.

This is outrageously stupid because then all laws are bad laws

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

site posted:

This is outrageously stupid because then all laws are bad laws
I think there's a distinction between "If you are smart, then there is literally no evidence whatsoever you broke the law" and "If you are smart, there is not sufficient evidence to prove you broke the law". The first category is pretty much the definition of victimless crimes, which are bad laws.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

twodot posted:

I think there's a distinction between "If you are smart, then there is literally no evidence whatsoever you broke the law" and "If you are smart, there is not sufficient evidence to prove you broke the law". The first category is pretty much the definition of victimless crimes, which are bad laws.

Please describe how not leaving evidence makes something a victimless crime. I'm sure unsolved murder victims and their families would totally agree with you

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

site posted:

Please describe how not leaving evidence makes it a victimless crime.
Any crime that has a victim by definition left evidence, since the victim themself (or possibly the absence of the victim) is evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twodot posted:

Any crime that has a victim by definition left evidence, since the victim themself (or possibly the absence of the victim) is evidence.

So violating emissions standards is a victimless crime then? Ok.

• Locked thread