Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Pope Mobile posted:

Actual stunters are cool and it does take a lot of skill. What's annoying is the idiots doing wheelies on their "professionally" crushed tanks at 90mph down the freeway or burnouts in the parking lot.

Stunts are cool and stunters have excellent skills that translate into good low-speed riding skills for sure. What I found stupid was the idea that stunters make the "best" riders and the tone it was written in. Also, pretty much every argument they make has been used before about why dirt riders make better street riders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Stunting is awesome (legit stunting, not ride of the century 3 mile rolling burnout """"stunting"""). It's too bad there's no real way of doing it legally anywhere. I'd love to own a legit stunt bike and thrash it around in a dedicated lot.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm the only goon who enjoys when stunters come through my neighborhood and disrupt traffic/cause chaos. In the summertime it happens at least three times a week right outside of my apartment. Always cracks me up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PCOS Bill posted:

I've given up riding with every group of guys I've met because they ALL have That Guy who will not keep two wheels on the ground or his rear end on the seat/feet off his handlebars at speed. I get it, you're really good at being a goddamned monkey. You're also doing stupid poo poo that may result in someone riding with us dying, whether it's you or someone you hosed up into, above and beyond the already present risk of riding.

And they always want to do it at the front of the group so everyone can see.

Some of us just get bored if we aren't goofing off. :shrug: I've never ridden with a group, but I would at least keep my antics in back.

hot sauce posted:

I think I'm the only goon who enjoys when stunters come through my neighborhood and disrupt traffic/cause chaos. In the summertime it happens at least three times a week right outside of my apartment. Always cracks me up.

Nah, I'm with you. I find that poo poo supremely entertaining.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

Yeah it seems to be weirdly common around downtown DC. I've seen a buncha dudes with plateless dirtbikes and atvs wheelieing by the archives at least twice now.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

nsaP posted:

Unironically agree and that article is right.

Stunters get no respect here and we ran off a stunter goon who was p. good but what they do takes a lot of skill

I enjoy, respect, and slightly envy the skill with which stunters handle their machines. Good stunters are simply amazing hopefully have enough good judgement to not do "look at me" antics on a crowded public road. Bad and mediocre stunters are often too young to have had their Cloak of Invincibility +3 wear off so they'll often do "look at me" antics on crowded public roads which is both stupid and dangerous.

PCOS Bill posted:

I've given up riding with every group of guys I've met because they ALL have That Guy who will not keep two wheels on the ground or his rear end on the seat/feet off his handlebars at speed. I get it, you're really good at being a goddamned monkey. You're also doing stupid poo poo that may result in someone riding with us dying, whether it's you or someone you hosed up into, above and beyond the already present risk of riding.

And they always want to do it at the front of the group so everyone can see.

Seriously, just ride with people who are over 40. You'll never have that problem. Some of them might be insanely good so trying to keep up is a pointless exercise, but anyone whom I've ridden with who's 40+ has lost that ego that is the cause of a lot of dumb poo poo.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know anyone over about 35 who does anything but ride their Harley to bike night at Quaker Steak and Lube and then out to bars. :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well well well it seems the CA zeitgeist has shifted, we're becoming 'cool'. Freeway stunters are harmless but it's not surprising to see people separate them from the parking lot crew. But I can remember a time when a responsible CA parking lot stunter was told to stop posting his pictures by a mod and people were actually quoting AI rules to justify giving him poo poo for it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stunting is directly analogous to drifting.

I don't know how popular drifting is in the states but here it is the coolest cool kid thing you can do. All japanese RWD cars are massively overpriced, however mediocre they are, because of the sick drift potential bro. They make a gigantic nuisance of themselves, are generally insufferable and nobody likes them. But without them doing dumb poo poo on the roads, there would be no professional drift league.

Thus it is with stunting, as far as I know. You hate the dumb cunts that do burnouts outside your house but that's how all the pros learned to do it before 'learning to behave responsibly' which actually means 'getting good enough to get paid money for it'.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

nsaP posted:

Well well well it seems the CA zeitgeist has shifted, we're becoming 'cool'. Freeway stunters are harmless but it's not surprising to see people separate them from the parking lot crew. But I can remember a time when a responsible CA parking lot stunter was told to stop posting his pictures by a mod and people were actually quoting AI rules to justify giving him poo poo for it.

Yeah that dude was pretty cool and level-headed/not an idiot, it kinda sucks he was run off. iirc he ditched his normal job to do something like stunting classes. I hope it worked out for him.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

Yeeeeeah inolen was a p rad dude. I think he still runs stuntbums.com.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Stunting is directly analogous to drifting.

I don't know how popular drifting is in the states but here it is the coolest cool kid thing you can do. All japanese RWD cars are massively overpriced, however mediocre they are, because of the sick drift potential bro. They make a gigantic nuisance of themselves, are generally insufferable and nobody likes them. But without them doing dumb poo poo on the roads, there would be no professional drift league.

Thus it is with stunting, as far as I know. You hate the dumb cunts that do burnouts outside your house but that's how all the pros learned to do it before 'learning to behave responsibly' which actually means 'getting good enough to get paid money for it'.

I don't think I've seen anyone actually drifting in the street since the original Fast & Furious movies were popular. Do people still actually do that or just deck their cars out with body kits?

The stunter thing is a little different imo because cops aren't allowed to chase, so it's a big gently caress you the popo. Whether it's freeway guys in the midwest or inner city kids on dirtbikes, the most a cop can do is take a video and investigate later.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Nah, I'm with you. I find that poo poo supremely entertaining.

Same. You won't ever catch me in that crowd though.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Supermotos have great brakes, great handling and standard 17 inch rubber?

The best bike is the bike you ride.

I never really hit my DRZ's brakes and went "Yeah, I need to spend $1000 on a new rotor and some brembo poo poo". That said it does feel like my dual-rotor having $3000 FZ6 stops a little better (possibly just the stiffer suspension giving me a different feel) with alot less brake fade (not an actual problem on the street).
As for other motards it mostly just depends on whether or not the guy doing the conversion is buying decent stuff or not. I can't really speak for them.

As for tires it kind of depends. Built supermotos can order larger rims (if they fit) so I guess they can fit larger 160s without ruining handling, but most people seem to run the special snowflake 150/60-17 due to issues with the tire rubbing on poo poo. It's what my DRZ runs and it leaves you with sweet gently caress-all for tire selection. Sticky sure, but expensive if you put any miles on the bike at all.

Spot on about the handling though. Especially below about 90mph :v:

e: To clarify, my point is less "Supermotos suck" and more "the CA hivemind is funny sometimes".

e2: This post is a "No Smug KTM Owner Zone".

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 3, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Flikken posted:

I've ridden a Vstar 650 and a Shadow 750 and I personally don't understand the appeal of cruisers

"I've eaten McDonalds and Taco Bell and I personally don't understand the appeal of beef."

The only reason those models exist are so anti-Harley old farts can go on about how much cheaper it is than a Harley. SO MUCH MORE VALUE.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 3, 2015

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

clutchpuck posted:

"I've eaten McDonalds and Taco Bell and I personally don't understand the appeal of beef."

The only reason those models exist are so anti-Harley old farts can go on about how much cheaper it is than a Harley. SO MUCH MORE VALUE.

Some people like reliability and reasonable pricing more than a chrome badge. What's it matter? I think the whole "LOL CRUISERS R DUMB" thing is stupid. People like different bikes. It doesn't have to be a cruiser to be a stupid bike (hello Suzuki Katana).
At the end of the day, it's the rider, and I see and/or meet idiots on all kinds of motorcycles.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

Some people like reliability and reasonable pricing more than a chrome badge. What's it matter? I think the whole "LOL CRUISERS R DUMB" thing is stupid. People like different bikes. It doesn't have to be a cruiser to be a stupid bike (hello Suzuki Katana).
At the end of the day, it's the rider, and I see and/or meet idiots on all kinds of motorcycles.

Both of them come with a ton of (cheap, plastic) chrome.

The point is that judging an entire segment of machines through the lens of two particularly modest bikes is folly.

I borrowed a Katana 750 for a month and it was the worst bike I ever rode, but I assume the middleweight sport bikes at large are not similarly torque-challenged hand-buzzers that require a wrestling match to put into a corner.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Out of curiosity are there any decent entry level cruisers, like something that isn't >$7000?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

clutchpuck posted:

The point is that judging an entire segment of machines through the lens of two particularly modest bikes is folly.

It wasn't really the performance that bugged me it was the sitting position, and I didn't say they were terrible, I said I didn't understand the appeal, there is a difference.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gillingham posted:

Out of curiosity are there any decent entry level cruisers, like something that isn't >$7000?

Boulevard S40 at $5500, $4300 for the Vstar 250 (and an estimated 78MPG!)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gillingham posted:

I hear good things about suzuki savages/boulevards. If I wanted a cruiser I would probably get an M50.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gillingham posted:

Used ones. I mean even a Vstar 650 retails new for $7000 plus assembly, delivery, fees, tax, etc. You're probably OTD around $8000. Japanese cruisers depreciate like a falling rock and old men ride them gently like 500 miles a year. A used midsize cruiser is usually a pretty good buy.

If you're afraid of displacement, a Vulcan 500 is probably the best tiny cruiser. It runs the Ninja 500 engine so it's pretty zippy, but at the same time it's not a vtwin so you don't get the whole vtwin pulse thing like people like. I see them on my local CL for $2000-3500. 800-900cc models not much more.

The smaller vtwin guys like a Vstar 650 or a Shadow 750 are fine too. Like Pope Mobile points out, they're good for being cheap and reliable, but not much beyond that...

Flikken posted:

It wasn't really the performance that bugged me it was the sitting position, and I didn't say they were terrible, I said I didn't understand the appeal, there is a difference.

I'm fine riding a cruiser, but these two in particular are cramped for normal sized people and frustratingly slow for American roads.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 3, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pope Mobile posted:

Every Katana I see now has the loudest goddamn exhausts I've ever heard.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

PCOS Bill posted:

Boulevard S40 at $5500,
Don't get this unless you like horrible things. They're horrible.

quote:

$4300 for the Vstar 250 (and an estimated 78MPG!)
Don't get this unless you're tiny. They're tiny.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Gillingham posted:

Used sporty can be had for 3k. You can get a used Dyna for 5-6k.

For the dyna that's an EVO dyna. Which is the best engine HD made. The twin cam sucks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hot sauce posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone actually drifting in the street since the original Fast & Furious movies were popular. Do people still actually do that or just deck their cars out with body kits?

The stunter thing is a little different imo because cops aren't allowed to chase, so it's a big gently caress you the popo. Whether it's freeway guys in the midwest or inner city kids on dirtbikes, the most a cop can do is take a video and investigate later.

They most certainly do. Everyone has a skyline/laurel/cefiro with a RB20E that is totally getting an RB26 yo but in the meantime let me put chromes on the front and steelies in the back and do skids around roundabouts.

Also pretty sure stunting hasn't taken off here because the cops can and will chase you on a bike until they hit you.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Used sporty can be had for 3k. You can get a used Dyna for 5-6k.

For the dyna that's an EVO dyna. Which is the best engine HD made. The twin cam sucks.

This expression is truthy. The Big Evo is a sweetheart.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

Also pretty sure stunting hasn't taken off here because the cops can and will chase you on a bike until they hit you.

Sounds like heaven.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Marxalot posted:

e2: This post is a "No Smug KTM Owner Zone".

You rang, sir? :smuggo:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

Sounds like heaven.

There was recently a ruffling of think-of-the-children feathers when the cops chased someone and bumped him (with no injury sustained) off his bike at low speed to prevent him getting away. Whether police chases are necessary/good/appropriate is an extremely contentious issue in general.

The police's pounce instinct stems directly from them being severely criticised a few years ago for not responding adequately to the society-threatening plague of 'boy racers', FnF wannabies who gather in a huge horde at midnight on Fridays and Saturdays and drive around being irritating, doing dumb poo poo. Because this is NZ and nobody has actual problems, the media whipped the public into a frenzy about this and the police and government responded with a swath of hasty legislation and a huge traffic crack-down that continues to this day.

Now the morality and safety of police chases is being questioned, which is hilarious as the police implemented their chase doctrine in response to people complaining about boy racers being able to get away with anything and the police being powerless to stop them. Bikes are a small sideline to this because of the stickier nature of getting someone on a bike to stop running.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

the cops can and will chase you on a bike until they hit you.

That's what pussy rear end license restrictions result in. :patriot: ain't no catching a turbobusa

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Slavvy posted:

There was recently a ruffling of think-of-the-children feathers when the cops chased someone and bumped him (with no injury sustained) off his bike at low speed to prevent him getting away. Whether police chases are necessary/good/appropriate is an extremely contentious issue in general.

The police's pounce instinct stems directly from them being severely criticised a few years ago for not responding adequately to the society-threatening plague of 'boy racers', FnF wannabies who gather in a huge horde at midnight on Fridays and Saturdays and drive around being irritating, doing dumb poo poo. Because this is NZ and nobody has actual problems, the media whipped the public into a frenzy about this and the police and government responded with a swath of hasty legislation and a huge traffic crack-down that continues to this day.

Now the morality and safety of police chases is being questioned, which is hilarious as the police implemented their chase doctrine in response to people complaining about boy racers being able to get away with anything and the police being powerless to stop them. Bikes are a small sideline to this because of the stickier nature of getting someone on a bike to stop running.

Where are you from, I swear the same thing happened here a couple years ago. It started with the bikers stunters getting uppity because they got a big group to do donuts and poo poo shutting down the main highway as a memorial to a lost friend and very few if any were caught or arrested. I secretly wish that one cocked up trucker would have failed to hit his brakes during the stunters incident. Fast forward a couple months, a guy was getting chased by a cop on a motorcycle, the guy pulled off onto a neighborhood street and started just riding down the road at about 10mph in front of the cop taunting him, so the cop bumped the bike to put an end to the low speed chase. The only damage was the rider's pride and street credit.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Gillingham posted:

Look at Honda Shadows that are a few years old. They can be nabbed for like less than 2-3K

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

Where are you from, I swear the same thing happened here a couple years ago. It started with the bikers stunters getting uppity because they got a big group to do donuts and poo poo shutting down the main highway as a memorial to a lost friend and very few if any were caught or arrested. I secretly wish that one cocked up trucker would have failed to hit his brakes during the stunters incident. Fast forward a couple months, a guy was getting chased by a cop on a motorcycle, the guy pulled off onto a neighborhood street and started just riding down the road at about 10mph in front of the cop taunting him, so the cop bumped the bike to put an end to the low speed chase. The only damage was the rider's pride and street credit.

I'm in New Zealand.

There was also an incident a while back where a guy who was maxing out his RGV250 trying to outrun the cops got killed by a random vehicle pulling out of a driveway. The cops were blamed because he wouldn't have been going that fast if they hadn't decided to chase him. Q.E.D.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Gillingham posted:

Kawasaki just put the ninja/versys 650 engine in a fairly light cruiser frame and market it with highly adjustable ergos and a low price. They even kept the original sportbike rear tire and the front isnt too cruiserfied, can get all the cool kid tires on it. It'll probably be pretty nice. If for some reason I ever wanted a cruiser i'd probably look at that or the much higher priced indian scout.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

The "comfort" of a bike is totally subjective. I've met people that go touring on stock Busas.*

Erm, the Hayabusa - marketing bullshit "hypersport" label aside - is a touring bike.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

And like the ZX-14, CBR1100XX, K1300S etc. it's pretty awesome at it. Roomy ergos and good suspension that can handle luggage and a pillion if necessary.

It's necessarily going to be fast touring on any of those bikes, though - they're boring at anything below 130km/h (80mph)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I like riding a Honda CTX700 because men don't come up to me to compliment it regularly, which is cool because I'm not into dudes.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Radbot posted:

I like riding a Honda CTX700 because men don't come up to me to compliment it regularly, which is cool because I'm not into dudes.

Is that thing as boring as most people say? For some reason, I really want to ride one.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

nitrogen posted:

Is that thing as boring as most people say? For some reason, I really want to ride one.

Yes, it is very boring, quiet, and predictable. It was also cheap as hell to buy, and very cheap to run. I just love it because of its freakishly low COG - I can ride in wind gusts that keep larger bikes off the road, which is a big deal in Colorado.

I had a decent get off on the freeway about a year ago and wanted a tame bike to ease myself back into riding on. It's no speed demon but it holds up pretty well at 8,000-14,000ft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

nitrogen posted:

Same question, but for the not being into dudes part cause that does sound pretty boring.

• Locked thread