Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
re: Gun cocking chat. I'm sure it's already been posted in this thread, but there's this scene in The Wire (which I'm a huge fan of) where there's a shotgun pumping sound effect desptie the fact the charater clearly has a double barreled shotgun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueDjiAm5rzE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
If I ever made things in an action movie universe, every single one would have a mechanism for cocking it that did nothing but make the sound. Pistols, rifles, baseball bats, musical instruments... everything someone might conceivably wield as a weapon will be able to 'cha-chck'.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Elfface posted:

If I ever made things in an action movie universe, every single one would have a mechanism for cocking it that did nothing but make the sound. Pistols, rifles, baseball bats, musical instruments... everything someone might conceivably wield as a weapon will be able to 'cha-chck'.
Terrible quality, but obligatory video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOhRCk3R6GU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gatekeeper posted:

Protests in movies - it completely pulls me out of the movie when every single protester clearly used the same bunch of materials to make their protest signs. At least change up the sizes or colors of the posters or something, use different colored markers, anything. The worst is when every poster has the same handwriting too. I know these scenes are usually short and unimportant but it can't be that hard to mix it up a little.

If it's a planned protest, it's possible that someone got a bunch of supplies and made the signs to hand out to people.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Boardwalk Empire : how is Richard such an amazing shot? He only has one eye, his depth perception is almost non existent.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Elfface posted:

I can't find it, but there's a youtube video where it's two guys cocking their guns at each other for like 2 minutes. Just constantly making the sound. It's pretty great.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Boardwalk Empire : how is Richard such an amazing shot? He only has one eye, his depth perception is almost non existent.

Not that I know much about marksmanship, but don't people usually close one eye when aiming a rifle anyway?

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

nexus6 posted:

Not that I know much about marksmanship, but don't people usually close one eye when aiming a rifle anyway?

For stationary targets, closing one eye is fine. See competition shooting where they often have a piece of paper infront of their non dominant eye.
For combat and hitting moving targets, having both eyes open are usefull for depth perception and more perifiral vision and such.

On a different note. When the script calls for an actor, who have clearly never smoked before, to smoke . It just look incredibly awkward right from the uncomfortable way they hold the cigarette to them not inhaling.

Hulebr00670065006e has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Mar 4, 2015

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

On a different note. When the script calls for an actor, who have clearly never smoked before, to smoke . It just look incredibly awkward right from the uncomfortable way they hold the cigarette to them not inhaling.

Don't television standards prohibit showing a character inhaling while smoking? I might be mistaken.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It can sometimes bump up an age rating, or get you moved to a later timeslot to actually show smoking, yes. Especially if a protagonist does it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

That's another great thing about Mad Men, they only allowed actors who smoked in the past to smoke on the show, so it's all very natural.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Jedit posted:

While I agree with most of what you're saying here, it did also give us the pump action shovel.

That otherwise terrible movie is completely justified by that one gag. I'm a big fan of the Airplane!/Naked Gun type of movies and that shovel gag might be my favorite from any of them.

EDIT: I just realized I'm in the wrong movie thread for this kind of talk :v:

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Binocular depth cues/perception is only very close to your face actually. Both eyes need to be able to see a slightly different angle in order for you to triangulate the position of the object. Past a certain range (about arms length IIRC) both eyes see essentially the same angle of an object. From there you begin using MONOcular depth cues which are things like layering of foreground/background, shadows, size, perspective, etc etc.

Not to mention only ONE eye is looking down your sights, even with both eyes open, so only one eye is "in charge" of finding sight alignment/sight picture. Hence why a "shooters blind" exist which essentially just covers one eye so you can leave it open, but not see through it.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Polaron posted:

That otherwise terrible movie is completely justified by that one gag. I'm a big fan of the Airplane!/Naked Gun type of movies and that shovel gag might be my favorite from any of them.

EDIT: I just realized I'm in the wrong movie thread for this kind of talk :v:

Scary Movie 3 is actually pretty funny and easily the best of the series. It's no surprise it was directed by David Zucker and I think especially compared with other modern spoof films it's pretty top tier. Although I don't know what else from the last 15 years would be up there besides Not Another Teen Movie.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Diamonds posted:

Binocular depth cues/perception is only very close to your face actually. Both eyes need to be able to see a slightly different angle in order for you to triangulate the position of the object. Past a certain range (about arms length IIRC) both eyes see essentially the same angle of an object. From there you begin using MONOcular depth cues which are things like layering of foreground/background, shadows, size, perspective, etc etc.

Not to mention only ONE eye is looking down your sights, even with both eyes open, so only one eye is "in charge" of finding sight alignment/sight picture. Hence why a "shooters blind" exist which essentially just covers one eye so you can leave it open, but not see through it.

Thank you, I had no idea how depth perception really worked. I also always wondered how Leela from Futurama saw so well with one eye as well.

Speaking of Futurama, how do they have so many famous people's heads? Abe Lincoln, George Washington, Nixon,etc. have all been dead for almost 2200 years at that piont, even if they had decapitated their corpses and preserved their heads after that much time they would been rotted beyond repair.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Thank you, I had no idea how depth perception really worked. I also always wondered how Leela from Futurama saw so well with one eye as well.

Speaking of Futurama, how do they have so many famous people's heads? Abe Lincoln, George Washington, Nixon,etc. have all been dead for almost 2200 years at that piont, even if they had decapitated their corpses and preserved their heads after that much time they would been rotted beyond repair.

The heads are submerged in special time stuff, which I guess lets them have fresh heads forever and ever no matter who's head it is or how decayed/damaged it was before putting it in a jar.

If you lick the heads, you go back in time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Slime posted:

The heads are submerged in special time stuff, which I guess lets them have fresh heads forever and ever no matter who's head it is or how decayed/damaged it was before putting it in a jar.

If you lick the heads, you go back in time.

Yeah this was the basis of an entire episode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Buzkashi posted:

Don't television standards prohibit showing a character inhaling while smoking? I might be mistaken.

Its definitely allowed, but maybe not on mainstream broadcast television.

Interesting enough you're not allowed to smoke tobacco in US movies anymore. They're smoking some kind of herbs in mad men, I'm pretty sure. (Not like weed herbs, like, I don't know, plant stuff)

Yeah that one's always awkward.

Also irritating to me is the opposite, when a film calls for a character to smoke and either the actor or the camera overplays the scene to where its like that cigarette is loving CRACK. I guess I haven't been really addicted to cigarettes, though. :v:

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Interesting enough you're not allowed to smoke tobacco in US movies anymore. They're smoking some kind of herbs in mad men, I'm pretty sure. (Not like weed herbs, like, I don't know, plant stuff)

I think I heard something about tea leaves at some point.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Re: gun cocking chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBSi8qC0tFA

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
From a few pages back:

mind the walrus posted:

If this thread were in CineD it'd be the nerd equivalent of a slaughterhouse floor in all the worst ways with a door in front that lets any ol' PETA member wander in.

I made the original version of this thread in CineD (since it was intended to be movie-based), before someone moved it to PYF. Guess we dodged a bullet.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I think I heard something about tea leaves at some point.

I remember actors complaining about some kind of herbal gunk they had to smoke a lot of that made them pretty sick. Might have been as far back as Half Baked or maybe Grandma's Boy.

fake edit: they definitely mentioned this on the Grandma's Boy commentary.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
What's the reason for people on-screen not being able to smoke? There are plenty of times where the brand is never shown, so that shouldn't be it. If it's to save the children and all that poo poo, then why even bother having actors smoke fake tobacco?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

mng posted:

What's the reason for people on-screen not being able to smoke? There are plenty of times where the brand is never shown, so that shouldn't be it. If it's to save the children and all that poo poo, then why even bother having actors smoke fake tobacco?

Could it be health concerns for people on set?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I remember actors complaining about some kind of herbal gunk they had to smoke a lot of that made them pretty sick. Might have been as far back as Half Baked or maybe Grandma's Boy.

fake edit: they definitely mentioned this on the Grandma's Boy commentary.

I think that's the artificial weed that does that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mng posted:

Some actors just don't smoke but its part of the character. For example, William B Davis as the X-Files' Cigarette Smoking Man.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's also probably hard to smoke real tabacco and continue to... like, act. I mean sure, it'd be realistic for a person to take a deep hardy drag on a cigarette and then cough and cover their mouth afterward because that's just the reality of smoking, but that's not really that fun to watch happen in a movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CJacobs posted:

It's also probably hard to smoke real tabacco and continue to... like, act. I mean sure, it'd be realistic for a person to take a deep hardy drag on a cigarette and then cough and cover their mouth afterward because that's just the reality of smoking, but that's not really that fun to watch happen in a movie.

Also having to do it over and over again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

muscles like this? posted:

Some actors just don't smoke but its part of the character. For example, William B Davis as the X-Files' Cigarette Smoking Man.

I seem to recall that Davis was an ex-smoker and wanted to stay that way, hence the herbal ciggies.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that one's always awkward.

Also irritating to me is the opposite, when a film calls for a character to smoke and either the actor or the camera overplays the scene to where its like that cigarette is loving CRACK. I guess I haven't been really addicted to cigarettes, though. :v:
I've had a cigarette habit for the last couple years and while I definitely feel stressed after about 12 hours of not having one and super irritable by around day 3, I also smoked (comparatively) less then the sort of compulsive, pack or two a day, sort of smoker that sort of character is suppressed to evoke. I can imagine that if you're body is used to getting a kick of nicotine every ten minutes and it's been thirty, there would be a lot of unhappy nerves firing.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah he constantly lights a cigarette, takes a single puff menacingly, then just holds it for a while before stubbing it out before it's even halfway burned. It's really fun to watch once you know to look for it.

QueenOfMistakes
Feb 22, 2007

Kittens are tasty.
The cigarettes that the kids smoke in Stand By Me were made of cabbage leaves, IIRC.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mng posted:

It's a regulation in California that people are not allowed to smoke in work places.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Herbal cigarettes are probably cheaper to get in bulk, too.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It's a regulation in California that people are not allowed to smoke in work places.

I know in Mass. it's illegal to smoke in a public building indoors, at work, etc. unless it's part of a performance. So actors being filmed may be able to get by. I think the herbal cigarette thing is so role openings can't be claimed to discriminate against nonsmokers or ex-smokers.

My question is do people smoke real weed in movies/TV shows? (I'm willing to bet yes for Trailer Park Boys)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Big Grunty Secret posted:

My question is do people smoke real weed in movies/TV shows?
All I know is, do not buy pot on a movie set.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

My Lovely Horse posted:

All I know is, do not buy pot on a movie set.

:golfclap:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Big Grunty Secret posted:

My question is do people smoke real weed in movies/TV shows? (I'm willing to bet yes for Trailer Park Boys)

There are a ton of stories about (famous pothead actor) just actually smoking a shitton of weed instead of the fake weed that they provide. I would assume it's likely less common than all of those stories added together, but certainly not uncommon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
What'shername, Amy Pascal? I think, the sony exec who got let go because of the sony leak is having to have her office repainted because it reeks of weed.

Apparently when Seth Rogan was there he just smoked weed 24/7 and it stank up the joint to the 3rd floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Amazing.

Although the shotgun should be ejecting shells :cheeky:

mng posted:

As for tobacco, Its a Californian actor guild / union thing. That way if a scene or a character calls for a serious smoker, the director isn't pushing the actor to take up smoking if they don't (unhealthy) or pushing them to smoke a lot more than they already do (for possible re-takes over the same scene). Rather than try to come up with some kind of complex "you can only have actors who already smoke do smoking scenes" or something (which would itself maybe even put pressure on actors to pre-emptively take up smoking) its easier to just say "no cigarettes while you're working, if you need it for a film use some herbal poo poo"

But yeah I've heard the herbal stuff isn't great either.

As for actual smoking, I don't know, but obviously tons of shows and movies do have smoking in them. So It'd just be a kids thing, like how you can't advertise cigarettes in kids magazines and on TV.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Mar 5, 2015