Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Mk4KeDPSE

This isn't a hacked theme. Some suit in Japan thought it a good idea to release a bloody Evangelion theme complete with theme song running in loop on the menu.

He was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
This glue business really needs to be reflected in the title. I'm surprised a man of such ingenuity had time for the whims of a female companion, to be honest.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Edit: phone double post.

May aswell make it content, I bought Luigi's Mansion 2 last night, I need to stop buying games. I haven't played Majora's Mask properly yet or finished Super Mario 3D Land yet whenever I see a good deal on cheap 3DS games I can't help myself.

Bacon Terrorist fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 4, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Dear 3DS Goons,

I got hit with the black screen of death this evening. Tried removing the battery and leaving it out for a bit. As well as removing the SD card, game cartridge, etc. No love. I'd like to upgrade to the New 3DS XL but I cannot do a system transfer with this dead 3dsXL. I don't want to lose all my eShop games and saves.

Is it possible for me to send this broken 3dsXL in along with a New3DSXL and have them do a system transfer? Anybody in this thread with experience in dealing with this or repairs?

Just call. They can do it over the phone.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
gently caress you guys that recommended FFT: Curtain Call. I want to play Monster Hunter but FFT:CC is so fun.

And I went from OG 3DS to the N3DSXL, if you want to know the screen size, the OG3DS closed is the same size as the top screen, the whole thing is the size of just the top screen.

Also this is the best new theme. In related news, I have discovered there is no hipster smiley

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Anora posted:

gently caress you guys that recommended FFT: Curtain Call. I want to play Monster Hunter but FFT:CC is so fun.

FFT:CC rules. Is there a list somewhere of all the songs and when/how to unlock them? I need more FF 12 songs, they're burned indelibly in my mind

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Lofty132 posted:

Edit: phone double post.

May aswell make it content, I bought Luigi's Mansion 2 last night, I need to stop buying games. I haven't played Majora's Mask properly yet or finished Super Mario 3D Land yet whenever I see a good deal on cheap 3DS games I can't help myself.

I really wish they would do sales on the eShop more often. I got a 32GB card for my new 3DS and wouldn't mind going digital, but it's really hard to justify when carts not only are able to be sold but are also cheaper in the first place.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Anora posted:

In related news, I have discovered there is no hipster smiley

There are tons of them that makes you a bad hipster, which is ironically a very good thing. Radical.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Wamdoodle posted:

Just call. They can do it over the phone.

If he does that, he'll lose his save data.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Fremry posted:

I really wish they would do sales on the eShop more often. I got a 32GB card for my new 3DS and wouldn't mind going digital, but it's really hard to justify when carts not only are able to be sold but are also cheaper in the first place.

Funny, I've been finding the eShop cheaper for most of the games I want, but that's because of stupid loving limited print runs.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I would certanily pay more for a regular New 3DS thsn I would for an XL version. Swapping plates just seems more fun.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Started MH from never playing one before.

Suprised how easy it is to get into. I'm sure it will get harder but it's a real gentle difficulty curve so far.

For anyone that ever wanted to try the series but was concerned about the barriers to entry, I suggest you try it out.

The real game is 100x better then the demo for getting you set up as a first timer.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Anime Curator posted:

I would certanily pay more for a regular New 3DS thsn I would for an XL version. Swapping plates just seems more fun.

Get some decals. They look great, arguably better since you can do the interiors too.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Do you guys shut your system completely off at night to conserve power? I have no idea how to use this thing power wise. I have been handling it like a phone/tablet by leaving it on and online all the time in standby mode. I've been playing it a lot but it feels like I'm charging twice a day now.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I don't.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I don't either because these things were designed to be on at all times.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I have a dock and drop it in there and never turn it off ever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I never turn mine off because I need those sweet sweet street passes.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

elf help book posted:

I have a dock and drop it in there and never turn it off ever.

Yeah, I guess I should import a dock.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Funny, I've been finding the eShop cheaper for most of the games I want, but that's because of stupid loving limited print runs.

First party stuff only ever goes on sale when there are big events (like the release of Smash). Those are also the ones that keep their value for trade in. I bought A Link Between Worlds cart for $40 and beat it in 48 hours. Gamestop trade in is $20 and I can easily sell it on SA Mart for $25, effectively making it a $15-20 game. If I bought it on the eShop it would be a $40 game, fullstop.

I would love to buy Majora's Mask digitally, but if OOT is any indication, I should buy it as a cart because of limited runs.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

The original 3DS had such miserable battery life even in sleep mode that I always completely turn it off when I'm done, and basically just use sleep mode to pause stuff even though I know it's not really an issue anymore with newer models.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I never turn mine off because I need those sweet sweet street passes.

I keep getting passes at work... some girl in the OR also carries hers around because I keep getting the same challenges in Smash.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Sire Oblivion posted:

Then buy eShop cards you moron, loving hell.

You can't glue digital games to your 3DS though

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I feel like my n3DSxl gets much better standby time than my OG small 3DS. But in terms of actual playtime, it gets maybe a half hour longer than my original one, so if I'm playing long sessions, it gets plugged in while playing or charged every 3 hours of playtime.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The original 3DS had such miserable battery life even in sleep mode that I always completely turn it off when I'm done, and basically just use sleep mode to pause stuff even though I know it's not really an issue anymore with newer models.

I still have and love my OG 3DS. gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fremry posted:

I feel like my n3DSxl gets much better standby time than my OG small 3DS. But in terms of actual playtime, it gets maybe a half hour longer than my original one, so if I'm playing long sessions, it gets plugged in while playing or charged every 3 hours of playtime.

Fun fact: the N3DSXL charges faster than it drains while in use, so if you leave it plugged in constantly while playing it will actually overcharge the battery over time. Not a huge issue since the battery can be replaced, but still important to know.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 4, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Fuzz posted:

Fun fact: the N3DSXL charges faster than it drains while in use, so I'd you leave it plugged in constantly while playing it will actually overcharge the battery over time. Not a huge issue since the battery can be replaced, but still important to know.

Fun fact: lithium ion circuits for years now stop charging once they hit around 95% and won't charge again until at least 90% so this really means nothing because it still won't damage your battery.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I've toyed with the idea of getting a bigger battery for my XL, but the times where I'm actually playing it long enough to completely drain the battery are pretty few and far between.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Fun fact: the N3DSXL charges faster than it drains while in use, so I'd you leave it plugged in constantly while playing it will actually overcharge the battery over time. Not a huge issue since the battery can be replaced, but still important to know.

Does it not have an internal power regulator? I haven't heard of this being a problem in 10 years of using cell phones (well, I have, but it's only anecdotal evidence from people on the internet that can't spell correctly).

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Fremry posted:

Does it not have an internal power regulator? I haven't heard of this being a problem in 10 years of using cell phones (well, I have, but it's only anecdotal evidence from people on the internet that can't spell correctly).

Battery bloat is definitely real in tyool 2015.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

FYI my mobile battery pack with a 5$ USB works great.

I hate having to lower my phones screen brightness or worry about using my mantoys too drat much. Got a 10,000 battery pack the size of my cellphone and that lasts 4-5 says with heavily using everything I own. Even has 2 USB outs.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fremry posted:

It still happens, it just takes several hundred watt hours to make a markedly noticeable difference. Pretty much all consumer level devices have this problem excluding a handful of laptops which use software shutoffs to do it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Fun fact: the N3DSXL charges faster than it drains while in use, so if you leave it plugged in constantly while playing it will actually overcharge the battery over time. Not a huge issue since the battery can be replaced, but still important to know.

Is it like RC car enthusiasts from the 90s who keep spreading wrong stuff about batteries or what

I seriously can't wait for the day everyone figures out that modern lithium batteries don't "overcharge". Leave your stupid toy on the charger when you're not using it, worst case scenario is in three years the capacity is at 80% and you have to drop $10 for a battery.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fuzz posted:

It still happens, it just takes several hundred watt hours to make a markedly noticeable difference. Pretty much all consumer level devices have this problem excluding a handful of laptops which use software shutoffs to do it.

Can you cite this? It sounds like "common knowledge" that has no empirical evidence to back it up. I can't find anything about it other than people saying stuff like this on web forums and Yahoo Answers. The only thing I can find on it is Nintendo's answer on whether it's possible, where they say it is. I'm going to assume that they wouldn't be answering this in the affirmative if it messes up your 3DS. I've been doing it with my OG 3DS for 2-3 years and its battery isn't noticeably worse than when I got it.

Unless there's some actual empirical evidence you can show, Nintendo > guy on internet.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I run a uh... side business which utilizes a number of wireless devices that are generally plugged in all the time. And in our community forums over on reddit, some people have had issues with their batteries "bloating" which is a real fire hazard and severely diminishes the capacity of the battery. But to reach this status, like Fuzz said, you would have to leave it plugged in a long time (months) and constantly be charging. And it usually is a result in from a crappy USB cord.

Pictures of what battery bloating looks like.

tl;dr - I doubt anyone is going to have a problem on their neentendou machine.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 4, 2015

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Etrips posted:

I run a uh... side business which utilizes a number of wireless devices that are generally plugged in all the time. And in our community forums over on reddit, some people have had issues with their batteries "bloating" which is a real fire hazard and severely diminishes the capacity of the battery. But to reach this status, like Fuzz said, you would have to leave it plugged in a long time (months) and constantly be charging. And it usually is a result in from a crappy USB cord.

Pictures of what battery bloating looks like.

tl;dr - I doubt anyone is going to have a problem on their neentendou machine.

Again, I'm looking for empirical rather than anecdotal evidence. I don't doubt at all that battery bloat exists, I've seen it. However, I hate when people state a direct cause/effect relationship between two things because of what boils down to "I saw it before" and "It used to happen to [something not at all related]".

There are so many factors that go into the manufacture, use, discharge and recharge of a battery that I'm not taking someone's advice unless they can show that someone has isolated the cause in a reliable scientific way.

Edit: my version of the tl;dr - the manufacturer says it's ok, which is better than internet joe #27.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
MY REDDIT COMMUNITY FORUMS

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Fuzz posted:

You're an idiot. All power management is done by a custom IC by Texas Instruments. Considering power management and lithium ion technology is absoltuely nothing new in tyool 2015 the stop-charging mechanism most definitely exists. Maybe if this was 2003 it would be a problem but no, most every technology around has safety mechanisms in place to not overcharge a battery anymore.

Battery bloat has nothing to do with overcharging and everything to do with a malfunctioning battery. You really think Apple which have had PMUs since the 90s can't charge a battery properly? They had to have a recall on certain batteries due to swelling as did a third party battery provider.

An example:

Considering I've had this laptop for 3 years, it spends 99% of the time plugged in I'd expect much worse battery degredation if modern electronics were as batshit stupid as you two claim them to be.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
tyool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you leave the 3DS charged for a while you will notice eventually the "I am charging" light goes out. It will turn back on if you un-plug and re-plug in the power cable.