Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's really annoying trying to keep a pro controller unsynced if you're not just holding it out at all times. I stuffed it in my bag once and I made absolutely sure it wasn't going to get activated but it activated anyway. Then I stuffed it in my hoodie pocket but it activated in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Abjad Soup posted:

I'm sorry I missed the Smash For finals, was it recorded and will it be put up on YouTube despite the issues with the stream?

Also was it your Zelda I played a bunch of P:M friendlies with, after all the tourneys were mostly over?

I have a couple of the finals matches saved, I'll get them uploaded when I have a spare second (which is looking like it won't be till after PAX). That wasn't me, I haven't played PM since Smash4 came out.

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, I mean, what you're describing are all issues caused by what I can most tenderly describe as player incompetence, and no software or hardware can really fix that. You just have to educate players, even the young ones, on etiquette and maintenance.

It's more than that though. Pushing basically ANY button on the controller will make it reconnect. That means the controller can't be put into a bag, pocket, coat or any other carrying device that doesn't 100% secure it. Even carrying it around in your hand could result in someone brushing against you and hitting a button. The only solution would be to leave it somewhere where it wouldn't be touched (like behind the tournament screens) but I can't very well ask people to leave their controllers laying around in the open at an event with 400 people walking around.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

LanceKing2200 posted:

It's more than that though. Pushing basically ANY button on the controller will make it reconnect. That means the controller can't be put into a bag, pocket, coat or any other carrying device that doesn't 100% secure it. Even carrying it around in your hand could result in someone brushing against you and hitting a button. The only solution would be to leave it somewhere where it wouldn't be touched (like behind the tournament screens) but I can't very well ask people to leave their controllers laying around in the open at an event with 400 people walking around.
Depending on how many people there are with controllers, you could probably have some kind of big locked box to keep them in (like a plastic container with a padlock), and just slap a label with their name or something on each controller to tell them apart. Probably a bit of a hassle to have someone checking controllers in and out between matches, but at least they'd be secure and theoretically not pushing buttons.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

Depending on how many people there are with controllers, you could probably have some kind of big locked box to keep them in (like a plastic container with a padlock), and just slap a label with their name or something on each controller to tell them apart. Probably a bit of a hassle to have someone checking controllers in and out between matches, but at least they'd be secure and theoretically not pushing buttons.

This is way more involved than a dummy system.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

LanceKing2200 posted:

I have a couple of the finals matches saved, I'll get them uploaded when I have a spare second (which is looking like it won't be till after PAX). That wasn't me, I haven't played PM since Smash4 came out.

Nice! I look forward to seeing the Pac Attac later then.

It must've been the TO for PM then, which probably makes more sense.

LanceKing2200 posted:

If your gamepad or pro controllers are just sitting on your coffee table at home then it's mostly not a huge deal, but it's still a bit annoying if you're watching Netflix and can't actually put the gamepad into standby and so you need to recharge it every other day or so. It's also annoying if your controllers drain their batteries when you have them packed in a bag while moving or visiting somewhere. And it's super dumb at a tournament.

It's basically buttdialing with your controller except (as stated above) basically any button press, which can happen from almost any angle, causes the reconnection. There's a reason cellphones can be slept + locked -- but Nintendo has omitted an easy locked/inactive state on two generations of primarily-wireless controllers now, which causes some issues.

messagemode1 posted:

This is way more involved than a dummy system.

Just go with the OSHA standard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockout-tagout

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 4, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

LanceKing2200 posted:

oh I just remembered, the battery cover on the Pro Controller doesn't actually use a triwing screw. It just uses a tiny phillips-head.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I wonder if there'd be an easy way to modify a pro controller to install a switch, probably right at one of the battery terminals?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Deviant posted:

I wonder if there'd be an easy way to modify a pro controller to install a switch, probably right at one of the battery terminals?

i was just thinking about that while in the shower, so I opened mine up at the battery compartment (with a regular phillips-head) and took a look at the clearances. The battery contacts at three points in a tight vertical column with basically no clearance for an interrupter.

there is a hidden button under the battery cover but I can't find any info about what it does.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

i was just thinking about that while in the shower, so I opened mine up at the battery compartment (with a regular phillips-head) and took a look at the clearances. The battery contacts at three points in a tight vertical column with basically no clearance for an interrupter.

there is a hidden button under the battery cover but I can't find any info about what it does.

Well, you'd probably have to pull the board out and yeah, find someplace with clearance to break the power connection, then add the switch in-line, but I don't know how much empty space there is inside the gamepad.

Maybe someone with a 3D printer could design up a battery 'caddy' that would take the place of the first party battery cover, so you'd be able to pop your battery in and out at a moment's notice?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Deviant posted:

Well, you'd probably have to pull the board out and yeah, find someplace with clearance to break the power connection, then add the switch in-line, but I don't know how much empty space there is inside the gamepad.

Maybe someone with a 3D printer could design up a battery 'caddy' that would take the place of the first party battery cover, so you'd be able to pop your battery in and out at a moment's notice?

the screw doesn't readily come out of the stock back-plate, so that could pose a challenge, but in theory a more OG GBA-style friction-clip battery cover could be kludged together.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

DoctorWhat posted:

oh I just remembered, the battery cover on the Pro Controller doesn't actually use a triwing screw. It just uses a tiny phillips-head.

Slightly better, but still effectively requires a dedicated screwdriver because it's so small, and still has all the same issues as before. I have to do some testing, my only real hope at this point is that you could use a charge cable to create a "temporary" pairing to a console that ends when it unplugs.

If that doesn't work there's basically nothing that can be done that doesn't require ridiculous extra equipment.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

LanceKing2200 posted:

Slightly better, but still effectively requires a dedicated screwdriver because it's so small, and still has all the same issues as before. I have to do some testing, my only real hope at this point is that you could use a charge cable to create a "temporary" pairing to a console that ends when it unplugs.

If that doesn't work there's basically nothing that can be done that doesn't require ridiculous extra equipment.

a screwdriver does not constitute "ridiculous extra equipment". I carry a small screwdriver with self-contained individual tips and spinning palm-rest in my bag basically whenever I go out, it's barely larger than a mechanical pencil and cost like 5 dollars.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

the screw doesn't readily come out of the stock back-plate, so that could pose a challenge, but in theory a more OG GBA-style friction-clip battery cover could be kludged together.

I'll look at it when I get home, I have access to a 3D printer for small builds, might be able to do something.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Deviant posted:

I'll look at it when I get home, I have access to a 3D printer for small builds, might be able to do something.

i await your goongineering with baited breath

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Looking at the images on this page:

http://www.gamepur.com/guide/15621-nintendo-wii-u-pro-controller-button-swap.html

It appears the battery compartment is attached to the rest of the board using a tiny 4 pin molex connector. That hot red wire is probably the best place to attack the power supply. If you added a switch to that line, and then put it at the outside of the controller, you'd be able to switch on and off at your own request. Unsurprisingly, there's a lot of extra room on the top/sides of the controller, so a switch might go best there.

I don't know how that would affect charging, but in theory, as long as the switch is closed, the controller should be 99% (accounting for the impedance of the extra wire/switch) identical.

Also, it looks boss as hell with the white/black buttons swapped.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

those white buttons are going to turn gross yellow. don't buy white analogue sticks.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

DoctorWhat posted:

a screwdriver does not constitute "ridiculous extra equipment". I carry a small screwdriver with self-contained individual tips and spinning palm-rest in my bag basically whenever I go out, it's barely larger than a mechanical pencil and cost like 5 dollars.

It does when you need potentially dozens of them at large tournaments and you need to keep people from stealing them while also making them accessible enough that people can get their back panels reattached for matches.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

LanceKing2200 posted:

It does when you need potentially dozens of them at large tournaments and you need to keep people from stealing them while also making them accessible enough that people can get their back panels reattached for matches.

lmao you're loving with us right?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Finally, a convention for Smash community troglodytes everywhere!

And of course the comments are filled with complaints over Project M's exclusion.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Louisgod posted:

lmao you're loving with us right?

You got a better idea? The Pro Controller is probably the best controller of modern video gaming, and Nintendo thought it was so well done that you would never need to turn it off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LanceKing2200 posted:

You got a better idea? The Pro Controller is probably the best controller of modern video gaming

analog stick placement sucks

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

analog stick placement sucks
Oxxidation "Stumpy" McFingers

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

LanceKing2200 posted:

You got a better idea? The Pro Controller is probably the best controller of modern video gaming, and Nintendo thought it was so well done that you would never need to turn it off.

Sure: If people need a screwdriver for their controller, then they can bring their own and keep it in their pocket and if they lose it they can borrow it from somebody else. drat that was hard was to come up with.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Sure: If people need a screwdriver for their controller, then they can bring their own and keep it in their pocket and if they lose it they can borrow it from somebody else. drat that was hard was to come up with.
I don't think you realize what a problem organized theft is in the Smash community.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't think you realize what a problem organized theft is in the Smash community.

I guess not, especially for small screwdrivers. hosed up it's even a thing.

e: seriously though, just put the screwdriver in your coin pocket maybe?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Louisgod posted:

I guess not, especially for small screwdrivers. hosed up it's even a thing.

e: seriously though, just put the screwdriver in your coin pocket maybe?
Coin pocket? Coin pocket?! You just don't get it! If I go to a Smash tournament I can be guaranteed to walk out stripped of my small valuables, my dignity... and my heart... Mew2King...

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
The Smash thief mafia is a terrible organization. Between stealing my screwdrivers and jizzing in my bedsheets I never want to join the smash FGC.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Forcing nerds to use a screwdriver sounds like you'd be asking too much if the meltdowns over screws on the n3DS backplate over in the n3DS thread are anything to go by.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

screwdrivers are for drinking. :colbert:

V- Invest in tri-wing bandages.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 4, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do you really want to arm a room full of Smash fans?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oxxidation "Stumpy" McFingers

Bitch I got fingers that'd make a pianist weep

I got longer digits than a Chinese phone number

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Bitch I got fingers that'd make a pianist weep

I got longer digits than a Chinese phone number
Then you have no excuse, I guess watching lovely TV has just damaged your brain.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do you really want to arm a room full of Smash fans?

Absolutely, and have a livestream going 24/7 so we can capture the aggravated murders.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Absolutely, and have a livestream going 24/7 so we can capture the aggravated murders.
"Ugh, hiding under a table is so overpowered! I'm sick of this defensive gameplay, why can't this melee be more like Melee?"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

We now go live to the 2v2 riots:

"STOCK STEAL!"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm going to proactively make a Phillips #00 Wolverine glove to prepare myself for any defensive shivving

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Louisgod confirmed as Earthquake from Samurai Shodown.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
You guys are overthinking the Pro controller issue. A paired controller isn't intrusive unless you're on the character select screen. If that's where you are and a controller pops in out of nowhere, just go to the main menu and come back. Hell, even clicking the top button to change the rules will do it. That couldn't be more annoying than using a tiny screwdriver to take out and put in tiny screws before and after every match.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Maple Leaf posted:

You guys are overthinking the Pro controller issue. A paired controller isn't intrusive unless you're on the character select screen. If that's where you are and a controller pops in out of nowhere, just go to the main menu and come back. Hell, even clicking the top button to change the rules will do it. That couldn't be more annoying than using a tiny screwdriver to take out and put in tiny screws before and after every match.

The match I saw had the rogue controller re-join the fracas every time the players reopened the character select screen, each time about 3-4 seconds in. And they apparently couldn't change they rogue player slot from Human to None even when the rogue hand cursor was on its own (empty) portrait box. In the end they just sped through the CSS as fast as they could and managed to make it to the stage selection screen on their fourth try.

Worse than forcing everyone to unscrew + remove their battery when not playing an official bracket match? And the tourney organizer needing to verify that the batteries are removed? Nah, but a huge pain nonetheless.

(Also clicking the rules might've made the process quicker than backing out to the gametype selection menu, since it takes a while to load up the CSS from there, but I presume the CSS remains loaded while accessing the rules menu.)

(Also also I don't think I'm exactly disagreeing with you, more just venting in sympathy to the troubles I saw.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
I'd say the proper solution is the have a set of controllers synced to each console and to just tell controller bringers to suck it the gently caress up and use the controllers provided, unless you're using a Gamecube controller in which case this is not an issue.

• Locked thread