Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
No? We like to think that, but finding an ideology or cause to fight for/against is often what gives a mentally ill individual the conviction necessary to overcome their empathy and begin killing. It's absurdly simplistic to assume "some people are just broken, nothing else to see here move along." Everyone is a product of both their inherent qualities and their environment, and their culture and identity tend to play a rather major role in the latter.

I Killed GBS fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That's not really what I was trying to say.

My point is that the doctor is saying "Moonshadow murdering rapists who got away with it is not a big deal; it is in fact the opposite of a big deal; and in fact treating it as a bigger deal than any of the other deals you could be dealing with at this moment is enabling the social structures that enabled those rapists to get away with it in the first place."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Or to put it another way, she's asking Alison why this one particular event of violence is getting so much more press than the ones we let slide every day.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Poison Mushroom posted:

Or to put it another way, she's asking Alison why this one particular event of violence is getting so much more press than the ones we let slide every day.

It's not just that. She's saying that this isn't a big deal because these types of crimes are going to become a lot more common in the near future, and as biodynamics come into their own, someone like Moonshadow is going to become much more "dog bites man" than it currently is.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Anders Breivik is an atheist, watch out for atheist terrorism!!! Timothy McVeigh considered himself christian, as do all those folks who threaten to attack abortion clinics...lots of christian terrorism there. Many references to 'islamic' terrorism are mostly dogwhistle.

Crazy people gonna do crazy things regardless of what they use to justify it.

Moonshadow is both a biodynamic and a murderer/terrorist. The only thing connecting the two is her methods.

Those methods are pretty drat important, actually. It's one thing for someone to want to kill rapists and accused rapists to deliver the justice the system can't or won't deal out. It's another to be able to, and it is yet another to be able to and get away with it. Someone can want to kill someone, and have the means to kill someone, but not to it because of the fear of reprisal. Moonshadow, meanwhile has a very low fear of reprisal; there are others like her who the blame can be pinned on, she's got the 'benefit of the doubt' as one of the Good Guys, and if all else fails, it seems the powers that be aren't doing anything to actually stop her (we're going to assume that between Patrick's conspiricy data and actual above the table government forces have the ability to pretty handily Worf someone like Moonshadow).

Add a shot of righteousness and shake with ice, and you've got the doctor's revolution martini.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Warmachine posted:

Those methods are pretty drat important, actually. It's one thing for someone to want to kill rapists and accused rapists to deliver the justice the system can't or won't deal out. It's another to be able to, and it is yet another to be able to and get away with it. Someone can want to kill someone, and have the means to kill someone, but not to it because of the fear of reprisal. Moonshadow, meanwhile has a very low fear of reprisal; there are others like her who the blame can be pinned on, she's got the 'benefit of the doubt' as one of the Good Guys, and if all else fails, it seems the powers that be aren't doing anything to actually stop her (we're going to assume that between Patrick's conspiricy data and actual above the table government forces have the ability to pretty handily Worf someone like Moonshadow).

Add a shot of righteousness and shake with ice, and you've got the doctor's revolution martini.

I agree, methods and opportunity do count (I phrased that wrong originally), it's more that any belief a terrorist espouses is pretty much just wallpaper to justify their actions. All my examples had more in common with each other, than any of them have with others who share their 'beliefs'.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

God drat 70 times more likely, that's hosed up!

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Warmachine posted:

The big question is: why hasn't this happened before now? There's all sorts of causes to go vigilante for once you become certain you're untouchable, why is this sort of thing only becoming newsworthy now? I mean, if Ferguson had happened in this universe you'd have protesters throwing not just rocks and spent teargas canisters but fireballs and bubbles of distorted space.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

God drat 70 times more likely, that's hosed up!

70 times what though? I mean, 70 times nil is still nil.
It's not nil, obviously, but numbers like that without context don't really tell you anything. I tried looking up the reference statistic, but only found unsourced quotes.

Also, the doctor's 1 out of 4 statistic is a little out of date: It's actually closer to 1 in 6 women as of 2014.
(Unless you're native american, then the rate is closer to 1 in 3.)

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Error 404 posted:

I agree, methods and opportunity do count (I phrased that wrong originally), it's more that any belief a terrorist espouses is pretty much just wallpaper to justify their actions. All my examples had more in common with each other, than any of them have with others who share their 'beliefs'.

People carry out violence based on sincerely held ideological beliefs all the time. In fact many people we consider hero's have carried out ideologically motivated violence that is in line with our own cultural beliefs and therefor not considered "crazy". They are not just people who murder and then justify it, they are carrying their sincerely held beliefs to their logical endpoint in confrontation with another viewpoint. Something that characterizes the entirety of history.

Timothy McVeigh might not be a "christian terrorist" but his actions were the direct result of his ideology which was certainly Christian, certainly sincere, and meant as a direct statement against a competing worldview.

Anyway I just read this comic and it's p. dope.

A Gnarlacious Bro fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 25, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

People carry out violence based on sincerely held ideological beliefs all the time. In fact many people we consider hero's have carried out ideologically motivated violence that is in line with our own cultural beliefs and therefor not considered "crazy". They are not just people who murder and then justify it, they are carrying their sincerely held beliefs to their logical endpoint in confrontation with another viewpoint. Something that characterizes the entirety of history.

Timothy McVeigh might not be a "christian terrorist" but his actions were the direct result of his ideology which was certainly Christian, certainly sincere, and meant as a direct statement against a competing worldview.

Anyway I just read this comic and it's p. dope.

He was a terrorist who happened to be christian. The point I was making is that people sort of blithely spout out 'muslim terrorist' like that actually means anything.
McVeigh has a lot more in common with those dudes in a bomb vest, than either of them have with the tenets of islam or christianity.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Error 404 posted:

He was a terrorist who happened to be christian. The point I was making is that people sort of blithely spout out 'muslim terrorist' like that actually means anything.
McVeigh has a lot more in common with those dudes in a bomb vest, than either of them have with the tenets of islam or christianity.

I can agree that that's a dogwhistle phrase, but the Idea that terrorism is some identity detached from the beliefs of the person is pretty wierd. The tenets of islam, christianity, atheism, ect are significantly more subjective than it might seem and both McVeigh and your average suicide bomber are both connected to very real reactionary ideological traditions. Saying "crazy people gonna kill" seems like the exact same reductive wishful thinking that everybody repeats nauseam after a school shooting to avoid dealing with the real beliefs of the persons that carried it out.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I can agree that that's a dogwhistle phrase, but the Idea that terrorism is some identity detached from the beliefs of the person is pretty wierd. The tenets of islam, christianity, atheism, ect are significantly more subjective than it might seem and both McVeigh and your average suicide bomber are both connected to very real reactionary ideological traditions. Saying "crazy people gonna kill" seems like the exact same reductive wishful thinking that everybody repeats nauseam after a school shooting to avoid dealing with the real beliefs of the persons that carried it out.

That's a fair point.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cryophage posted:

The big question is: why hasn't this happened before now? There's all sorts of causes to go vigilante for once you become certain you're untouchable, why is this sort of thing only becoming newsworthy now? I mean, if Ferguson had happened in this universe you'd have protesters throwing not just rocks and spent teargas canisters but fireballs and bubbles of distorted space.

70 times what though? I mean, 70 times nil is still nil.
It's not nil, obviously, but numbers like that without context don't really tell you anything. I tried looking up the reference statistic, but only found unsourced quotes.

Also, the doctor's 1 out of 4 statistic is a little out of date: It's actually closer to 1 in 6 women as of 2014.
(Unless you're native american, then the rate is closer to 1 in 3.)

I'm Native Alaskan, the proceeds from our first state lottery went to a battered woman's shelter and it was won by a guy convicted of multiple sexual assaults.

Fun fact: In order to cut down on the costs of investigating rape claims Alaska started charging rape victims and their insurers pay for processing evidence. :downs:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
god exists and it hates us all

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tollymain posted:

god exists and it hates us all

It's not all bad, Native Alaskans and veterans get free health care in Alaska. Seriously it's really god drat good, I walked in without an appointment and saw a dentist within 20 minutes got some xrays done had a few dentists look at it and consult over the results.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's not all bad, Native Alaskans and veterans get free health care in Alaska. Seriously it's really god drat good, I walked in without an appointment and saw a dentist within 20 minutes got some xrays done had a few dentists look at it and consult over the results.
It's really good, just don't get raped!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm Native Alaskan, the proceeds from our first state lottery went to a battered woman's shelter and it was won by a guy convicted of multiple sexual assaults.

Fun fact: In order to cut down on the costs of investigating rape claims Alaska started charging rape victims and their insurers pay for processing evidence. :downs:

Wasn't it Sarah Palin who started charging women for their own rape kits?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Alison is such a liar, she doesn't look fine at all.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Her inability to track down a serial killer was almost as vexing as her maybe boyfriend not texting her enough!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Mary and Allison are going to have an epic in costume show down.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

nimby posted:

Alison is such a liar, she doesn't look fine at all.

Cool haircut though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's really good, just don't get raped!

Did I mention weed is legal up there, just don't get raped!

Atmus posted:

Her inability to track down a serial killer was almost as vexing as her maybe boyfriend not texting her enough!

Well he knows she's thinking about him, he seriously needs to reciprocate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I would probably be extremely difficult for someone like him to get into a relationship.

For one, he knows how every person he's ever met's relationships have gone. He would also have to give up some of his control and I just can't see that happening.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Speaking of Patrick, Allison has finally decided to call in the big guns now.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wasn't it Sarah Palin who started charging women for their own rape kits?

Yes, but that was a mayor of a town of 7,000 people, not as governor of the state.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

Yes, but that was a mayor of a town of 7,000 people, not as governor of the state.
Which is somehow better than her charging women for their own rape kits, then getting elected governor?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Which is somehow better than her charging women for their own rape kits, then getting elected governor?

Makes her better qualified than Barack HUSSEIN Obama to be president according to the republican party.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Makes her better qualified than Barack HUSSEIN Obama to be president according to the republican party.
Don't you mean IRAQ HUSSEIN OSAMA? :smugbert:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Don't you mean IRAQ HUSSEIN OSAMA? :smugbert:

Afghanistan and Iraq are Obummer's wars!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
This dude is probably going to get his throat cut on live TV then right?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

thebardyspoon posted:

This dude is probably going to get his throat cut on live TV then right?

Only if he abused women. Maybe that is what's driving Moonshadow, fire-guy raped her and she's building up to a live television execution.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Welcome our new long-term cast regular, That Fire Dick who's talking to the news all the time.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm a little concerned about where the Patrick and Alison bit is going to go from here; the shady dealings by the waterfront from earlier comics makes me think he's playing her which in turn makes me think that there's going to be some kind of uproar about a woman being lied to and used by a man because the man in question can read her mind and uses that to trick her.

Honestly I don't find that offensive myself but lately all the crap about video games and Anita Sarkeesian and finding excuses to call virtually anything sexist has been making me double-think and triple-think everything I see.

khy fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 6, 2015

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If that's your main takeaway from what's been happening recently you really haven't done enough thinking about it

khy
Aug 15, 2005

flatluigi posted:

what's been happening recently

I just sat down and read the entire comic from beginning to end and so it all feels 'recent' to me. Also I'm not good with this stuff.

I was recently talking with some people in a thread over on Games. In the game in question, a very strong female protagonist is captured as a plot hook to lure the main character into a trap. The female is never portrayed as weak, in fact she saves the MC's life on more than one occasion. She's depicted as having struggled in life and become a badass due to nothing but sheer guts and willpower. So I was confused why everyone called it sexist.

This feels sort of similar. Strong female protagonist who is suddenly being depicted as (possibly) being manipulated by a male. And I find myself wondering whether or not it's sexist or not because I see similarities between the two situations.

I don't think I should be reading this webcomic at all; it's got good art and interesting characters and a decent story but I get the feeling that I'm overthinking or underthinking the subtext to it all and I might not be properly understanding the issues the webcomic author is trying to address because i'm looking at it from the wrong angles.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

khy posted:

This feels sort of similar.

The only similarity between these two situations is that there is a man and a woman. Being (potentially) manipulated isn't the same as having her agency taken away from her. She's not being portrayed as weak, and it's not being used to A. compare her unfavorably to a man, B. Motivate a man, or C. Undermine her character.

There you go there is your problem.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Well the good news is, if the burning people alive thing doesn't work out for Furnace, he can easily find a well paying position as a Contributor for Fox News.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Not for much longer

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Holy poo poo shut up about gamergate you obsessive weirdo

This is super-defensive "gotta call something not-sexist before it's called sexist" schtick is so played out, and if that's the tone you're getting from this comic then I'm not sure if you're mature enough to handle the material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Tender Child Loins posted:

Holy poo poo shut up about gamergate you obsessive weirdo

This is super-defensive "gotta call something not-sexist before it's called sexist" schtick is so played out, and if that's the tone you're getting from this comic then I'm not sure if you're mature enough to handle the material.

TCL you're making me even more confused because I don't know how gamergate even comes in to play with this conversation at all.

I was trying to apply a recent conversation I had about sexism and the loss of agency towards this comic where the main character is (seemingly) being psychologically manipulated, which I also saw as being somewhat of a loss of agency until Vonnie added some clarification.

In the past I always thought that sexist was just 'portraying women as weak and men as strong', and I thought a situation where a lady was being psychologically manipulated also fell into this category.

Recent conversations made in other threads (The dying light thread) brought up the possibility of a SFP losing agency and it being sexist and all that poo poo so when I see this manipulation I didn't know whether or not it was considered 'losing agency'.

However Vonnie's 3 points were extremely helpful. I didn't know to apply those 3 points to determine if it's really a loss of agency or not.

• Locked thread