Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Son of a goddamn bitch, what the gently caress is with their loving blue boner? Be this good to red mages EVER.
Origins better have a playable 1RR Chandra. Or RRR, it's not like I'm gonna play a different color unless someone gives me $1000 SCG store credit.

Fake edit: Jesus Christ, that would get me a set of Goyf and 2 Liliveil, gently caress this game.

vvv: How about just a way to beat ANT that comes into play with a divinity counter if a spell or ability an opponent controls would cause it to be put into graveyard or exile from anywhere? At mythic. Doesn't break any format, just takes away ANT's free bye vs burn.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^^ what the hell are you even talking about have you SEEN the red cards in standard right now?

uggy posted:

So you're running four of them and 16 lands then for your dice analogy to work?

Narset is pretty good with scry lands at least

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not quite sure Narset is a control card.

Counter/burn.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Yawgmoth posted:

Holy jesus, Narset is insane. If people start playing more UW in my area I'm gonna have to hold a hero's downfall in hand forever just to deal with her asap. That ult is murder. Wonder if you could do an esper control thing with Sorin?

I think it'd be more of Narset and Ashiok dream team given that he'd be the supply of men that keeps your Superfriends safe from things marching over your islands.

Tubgoat posted:

Son of a goddamn bitch, what the gently caress is with their loving blue boner? Be this good to red mages EVER.
Origins better have a playable 1RR Chandra. Or RRR, it's not like I'm gonna play a different color unless someone gives me $1000 SCG store credit.

Fake edit: Jesus Christ, that would get me a set of Goyf and 2 Liliveil, gently caress this game.

But, Pyromaster is going on it's 3rd year in standard???

Also Ablaze is perfectly fine in EDH.

I'm in your boat too friend I'm just trying to make light of the situation.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Narset can be used a lot. Tokens, control. Lots of fun stuff.

I really want to make a Jeskai control with her. Use Soulfire as the only critters. Commands, Strikes, Stokes, Counters, Wraths and LOTS OF PLANESWALKERS! WHEE

So expensive

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Narset is like the moral version of Domri Rade.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

I think it'd be more of Narset and Ashiok dream team given that he'd be the supply of men that keeps your Superfriends safe from things marching over your islands

I'm anticipating Sultai control adding white for Narset possibly. Sultai charm is the cleanest rebound target of all since it basically does whatever you need it to do in addition to having a digmode and there's not a better shell for superfriends right now than Sultai.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not quite sure Narset is a control card.

Narset wins control mirrors in the very least, but also is just valuetown

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

En Fuego posted:

I was hoping that she would be tri-color, but I am really okay with this card. Narset is so awesome.

I need to read the Uncharted Realms, but it seems like not accessing the R mana that is inherently within her causes the spark? That would be a neat reason.

This song is literally what happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bG6PPQyxyI

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
With Dragon Fodder being reprinted, I wonder how many decks will either substitute Hordeling Outburst for it or run them alongside one another. My current Mardu Warrior Tokens rogue deck thing can probably use it but depending on what else gets spoiled I may just play some BR aggro deck instead. rip wedges

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I Love You! posted:

I'm anticipating Sultai control adding white for Narset possibly. Sultai charm is the cleanest rebound target of all since it basically does whatever you need it to do in addition to having a digmode and there's not a better shell for superfriends right now than Sultai.

I'm currently working on assembling Sultai Superfriends just because I have the walkers minus an Apex Predator and I could see splashing white for Narset.

There's also the fact that the deck has access to the best 0/3 with hexproof ramper in standard, too.

I really need to finish P4G..

Mercury Crusader posted:

With Dragon Fodder being reprinted, I wonder how many decks will either substitute Hordeling Outburst for it or run them alongside one another. My current Mardu Warrior Tokens rogue deck thing can probably use it but depending on what else gets spoiled I may just play some BR aggro deck instead. rip wedges

I could see the decks that run outburst also run Dragon Fodder.

All this does is give me a reason to buy the old verion with the better art.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Any planeswalker that sticks wins a control mirror, Narset doesn't do this especially well compared to any other really.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
So that is two cards I want to mess around with in standard, perhaps it will push UW over the edge? Only thing I really want to see now is a decent three mana counterspell to replace dissolve as it is rotating out. Unless Wizards wants to bring back an old favorite for MTG Origins standard legal reprint of counterspell confirmed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So who thinks Narset is gonna end up at like 50 bucks...

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

I'm currently working on assembling Sultai Superfriends just because I have the walkers minus an Apex Predator and I could see splashing white for Narset.

There's also the fact that the deck has access to the best 0/3 with hexproof ramper in standard, too.

Well sultai superfriends typically doesn't run Carytid since Satyr Wayfinder is just so much better in that shell, but I guess that could change (don't cut wayfinder)

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

mcmagic posted:

Counter/burn.

Yeah she's best with burn spells, and token makers now that I think about it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Count Bleck posted:

In standard right now you could Rebound Crux of Fate if you really felt like it, which guarantees your opponent doesn't won't reload their board after you cast it.

Control likes when the opponent doesn't re-play poo poo after their wipe, right? Then there's also the Jeskai Control deck which would be throwing around charms, stokes, and the like. All of those seem like perfectly good targets.

I think Narset is a solid enough card in standard but only because of treasure cruise and DTT. Minus those 2 cards being in standard I couldn't imagine anyone opting to use Narset over Ugin or Elspeth or even some mix.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
May as well splash for Ojutai's Command at that point, bring back a wayfinder or Carytid at instant speed.

The Value.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Terrible Horse posted:

Yeah she's best with burn spells, and token makers now that I think about it.

She's very good in superfriends and very good in tokens, though if she makes the Tokens cut at 4cmc with all the other options is up in the air.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

Outpost Siege, Wild Slash, Goblin Rabblemaster, Hordeling Outburst, Stormbreath Dragon, Sarkhan.......oh and Stoke the Flames

Red is pretty drat amazing right now, Narset is badass but its not like red is hurting.

Hell Chandra Pyromaster was seeing play until Outpost Siege ended up being her, but better. Red is at the best it has been in a long time.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

So who thinks Narset is gonna end up at like 50 bucks...

All the value in the set will be on her. I think she sill settle at 20-30 I'll get my set then some later time she'll go up.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I don't know that "you have a 50/50 chance to draw a card" is a great use of 4 mana, and in control her -2 is basically just double-Treasure Cruise. I just don't know that the kind of control deck you guys are thinking about really wants to tap out on turn 4 to cast something that has a 50% chance of doing anything.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 4, 2015

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

jassi007 posted:

All the value in the set will be on her. I think she sill settle at 20-30 I'll get my set then some later time she'll go up.

She prolly will stay high, because she's a powerful planeswalker across STD and EDH.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Failboattootoot posted:

I think Narset is a solid enough card in standard but only because of treasure cruise and DTT. Minus those 2 cards being in standard I couldn't imagine anyone opting to use Narset over Ugin or Elspeth or even some mix.

She costs 4 mana and has 6 loyalty. Decks without black in them can't kill her.

jassi007 posted:

They are printing a command cycle if you don't think at least one of those aren't going to be format breakers somewhere you cray

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

jassi007 posted:

You say that, and then watch, we're getting Zendikar fetches.

I want to believe.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Narset is good with Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time, which is a bad sign for her future in Modern. She's terrible with Sphinx's Revelation and Blue Sun's Zenith. I think there's a nonzero chance we see her in Vintage, because control decks in that format run only about 17 lands and tons of creatures. Her advantages in Vintage are:

- 7 starting loyalty if you plus her, 4 if you minus her, so she's immortal against a lot of decks in the format.
- First ability is about a 2/3 chance of drawing a card, although not quite as much value as Jace.
- Second ability can double very powerful Vintage spells like Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, and Treasure Cruise.
- Ultimate completely locks out every deck except Shops and Null Rod aggro, whereas Dack Fayden sees play despite an ultimate that doesn't do anything.

Downsides:
- 2WU mana cost. The only 4+ mana planeswalkers in Vintage are Jace TMS and Tezzeret the Seeker, the latter of whom is a one-card "You win the game next turn".
- She competes with Jace to be placed in the same kind of deck.
- Vintage decks don't have many cards that support her -2, though the ones they have are very good.

Forget Modern, I so want to play Narset in a deck with one-ofs Ancestral Recall, Time Walk, Treasure Cruise, and Demonic Tutor.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know that "you have a 50/50 chance to draw a card" is a great use of 4 mana, and in control her -2 is basically just double-Treasure Cruise. I just don't know that the kind of control deck you guys are thinking about really wants to tap out on turn 4 to cast something that has a 50% chance of doing anything.

To be fair it's impossible to lose a control mirror* after double treasure cruise.

*or any game

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 4, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jassi007 posted:

We've seen a small part of the set, and none of the other walkers in it, not to mention the rest of the command cycle (I Love You! mentioned them), other mythics, and who knows what else...

I like her, don't get me wrong, but "all the value will be on her" is a pretty huge statement, especially for a large set.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know that "you have a 50/50 chance to draw a card" is a great use of 4 mana, and in control her -2 is basically just double-Treasure Cruise.

Do you think Double Treasure Cruise is bad?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

En Fuego posted:

She prolly will stay high, because she's a powerful planeswalker across STD and EDH.

She will be a 3-4 of in Modern too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Scrylands make it not a 50/50 chance?

This is the same argument people used for Domri Rade

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Count Bleck posted:

I want to believe.

Anyone else think the land art from the Narset article could be Scalding Tarn??

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Scrylands make it not a 50/50 chance?

This is the same argument people used for Domri Rade

Domri Rade cost 3 and that is a big difference, to be honest. No one disagrees that an unanswered Courser is something you are likely to come back from just because it whiffs around half the turns.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Failboattootoot posted:

You wouldn't. Narset is a custom built Prowess enabler.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Tibalt could LOSE a control mirror under the best circumstances. Alright, ya know what? Just a public apology for Tibalt along with an MPR-style mailing of Tibalt-the-not-a-permanent-reminder-of-R&D's-contempt-for-eternal-red-value. Was REALLY hoping for Koth reprint in Origins but that can't happen now (as Chandra is their red 'walker (and is in her second year, not third)).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

Print one cool blue card and it's Urza Block all over again.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

You wouldn't. Narset is a custom built Prowess enabler.

Check off one more box for my unbeatable Goblinslide/Scroll of the Masters powerhouse deck, we're in Rebound City folks

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

I want to believe.

To clarify, I mean if she stayed at $50, all the value of the set would be on her. Just like Khans, if you have a set where the EV of a pack is much higher than the MSRP of the pack, everyone opens boxes until prices go down. This is why fetches are no longer $15-20 + all the other cards have settled a good bit. If narset stays at $50 then other cards have to be worthless. If Narset is $50 and other cards have value people will crack boxes until she is lower than $50. TL;DR she won't stick at $50. But she may be at $50 until sometime after gameday when people seem to get their fill and prices start cooling off.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I Love You! posted:

Check off one more box for my unbeatable Goblinslide/Scroll of the Masters powerhouse deck

We will need to see what else white gets, but right now, I don't think Narset is justification to switch off black into white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mcmagic posted:

She will be a 3-4 of in Modern too.

What will she double? I think she'll be good in every format where either Dig Through Time or Treasure Cruise is legal, but Modern is not on that list.

I'm giddy thinking about running Narset in Vintage. Imagine: -2 Narset, cast Demonic Tutor, find Time Walk. On your extra turn, Demonic Tutor rebounds for Yawgmoth's Will, letting you recast Time Walk.

• Locked thread