Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Orv posted:

I haven't played the second or third one because the concept is admittedly a little thin for three games, but the first one was good as a puzzle game where a jump scare was your failure state rather than Window Zombie Dogs or what have you. Despite the jump scares the mechanics manged a tenseness thanks to their excellent coupling with the sound design.

The second and third game change up the formula but not the core gameplay, which I can appreciate. There is a new gimmick each time but the stuff that is the same is basically all premise-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I thought the first one was a creepy enough game, there was some tension if suddenly a robot couldn't be seen on camera and you frantically look around to find it. There is also some of the environment changing on you which was pretty creepy.

Then you got the second game where you pretty much cannot actually look around and get some atmosphere, its just this:

Look at the right vent, look at the left vent, flash your light down the the hall, the only reason you'll access your camera is to wind up the toybox. Taking any time to look around the other rooms will just result in you getting killed because the animatronics are insanely aggressive.

Leal fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 4, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The second and third game change up the formula but not the core gameplay, which I can appreciate. There is a new gimmick each time but the stuff that is the same is basically all premise-related.

The hell happened to your avatar man?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I played Kentucky Route Zero and it's a great game so I got a new avatar! I only wish I could've made the animation as smooth as it is in the game but 100kbs is not a lot of kbs to work with for an animation with that many frames.

(If you like surreal, artsy games with great soundtracks and style, play Kentucky Route Zero, it's fantastic; my avatar and the link are from my favorite moment in it so far)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 4, 2015

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Marketing to furries, brah. Cash. Money.
Furries? Most of the initial cash came from Puedepie and the obnoxious yelling Superstar LP youtube crowd with all the 12 year olds that would jump off a bridge if they did.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I played Kentucky Route Zero and it's a great game so I got a new avatar! I only wish I could've made the animation as smooth as it is in the game but 100kbs is not a lot of kbs to work with for an animation with that many frames.

(If you like surreal, artsy games with great soundtracks and style, play Kentucky Route Zero, it's fantastic; my avatar and the link are from my favorite moment in it so far)

I will forever miss your Gertsmann avatar but that does remind me I should probably play the second episode.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You should! Eps 2 and 3 are where the game's personality, if you could call it that, really starts to shine. I can't wait for the next one. (I miss Jeff a bit too :()

edit: Realized my quote marks kinda made it look like I'm saying that in a detrimental way. I'm really not! Describing Kentucky Route Zero is just drat hard!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 4, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Phantom Pain is apparently coming out on Steam two weeks after the console versions. I guess that's not so big a delay...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What's more parkor than Shadow The Hedgehog and a Pistol? Everything?

More importantly how is Death Skid Marks?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv posted:

The hell happened to your avatar man?

It's one of the best parts in KRZ

Cjacobs it's also worth looking up The Entertainment. Oculus rift compatible companion story to KRZ

frank.club fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 4, 2015

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

L4D3 and Portal 3. They'll start the trailer announcing both with a big 3 logo and a countdown.

This just in!
Valve has finally mastered the art of counting to three.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Junkie Disease posted:

More importantly how is Death Skid Marks?

Pretty alright. Here's a write-up I did on it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

snipermonkey posted:

This just in!
Valve has finally mastered the art of counting to three.

they've been waiting for gaben to manage his third situp

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

they've been waiting for gaben to manage his third situp

http://cms.springboardplatform.com/embed_iframe/2653/video/829761/what003/whatculture.com/5

Replace Burns with Valve and Homer with Gaben.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

I honestly don't understand what people see in the FNAF series. I tried the first one and it was the most boring poo poo imaginable. The entire game seems centered around jump scares, which is like the lowest form of horror.

Jump scares are basically the fart jokes of the horror genre. You can get away with one, maybe two if you space them out, but after that you're just a lovely hack.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Leal posted:

I thought the first one was a creepy enough game, there was some tension if suddenly a robot couldn't be seen on camera and you frantically look around to find it. There is also some of the environment changing on you which was pretty creepy.

Then you got the second game where you pretty much cannot actually look around and get some atmosphere, its just this:

Look at the right vent, look at the left vent, flash your light down the the hall, the only reason you'll access your camera is to wind up the toybox. Taking any time to look around the other rooms will just result in you getting killed because the animatronics are insanely aggressive.

The third game seems to be a bit better about this, since there's only the one guy to deal with more or less.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVEpo_35sA

Get 'in'

quote:

The first trailer for Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - a standalone prequel to Machine Games' first-person shooter Wolfenstein: The New Order. It's out 5th May 2015 digitally and in boxed form for PlayStation 4 and PC, and digital only for Xbox One, priced £14.99. You don't need Wolfenstein: The New Order to play.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That's 23$ for those of you who care.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm glad more developers are taking to the idea of a Blood Dragon sized game using the same engine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

corn in the bible posted:

i'd buy an opfor 2

this unironically

what happened to Sheppard was mad messed up yo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

HGH posted:

That's 23$ for those of you who care.
I guarantee you its Europeans who are getting hosed and it will be $15 here too, it's the way of gaming.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm glad more developers are taking to the idea of a Blood Dragon sized game using the same engine.

Too bad they think the word blood is what made Blood Dragon popular.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

I guarantee you its Europeans who are getting hosed and it will be $15 here too, it's the way of gaming.

I forget how bad they get screwed and just instantly did the conversion unconsciously. At least it's not Australia?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The FPS genre had some really great games released in recent years that didn't get AAA+ advertisement money but were superfun and developed with a lot of heart: Gunslinger, Shadow Warrior, Blood Dragon, Wolfenstein TNO and now its prequel. It's a pretty cool trend.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Palpek posted:

The FPS genre had some really great games released in recent years that didn't get AAA+ advertisement money but were superfun and developed with a lot of heart: Gunslinger, Shadow Warrior, Blood Dragon, Wolfenstein TNO and now its prequel. It's a pretty cool trend.

People remembered that once upon a time FPSs were fun, and decided to step away from "realistic" army poo poo back into arcade shooters. As someone that's poo poo at multiplayer FPSs but likes to headshot fools on occasion, I welcome that trend.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I also love shooting things :hellyeah:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

More GDC game announcements, on the indie side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF22UuL-UXA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAzTKDslDDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN4fTKGrqQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGwz4ovskx4

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

I love the little gag at the end, where BJ slowly starts sawing the barrels off the shotgun, then after some flaming debris/people fall down, he starts to saw much faster. :allears:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is Cry of Fear worth a buy?

Orv
May 4, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Non.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Seeing as how it's free...

...no, still not worth it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Worth it just for the Where Eagles Dare gondola setpiece.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm so ready for more New Wolfenstein.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Apparently the US price is $20, so £15 is a pretty good conversion.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also hopefully this one ends up being good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So basically a shorter but prettier version of RTCW. I can dig it.

I just hope there's more than just a couple hours of shooting there, padded out by some lovely wave mode or something. Although I guess maybe wave mode could be fun in Wolfenstein TNO, as the shooting was certainly fantastic in it, for me it was the characters and pulp story that really elevated TNO above its contemporaries. Still, for $20 CDN or whatever I would think that pretty much anything will be worth that.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I love the little gag at the end, where BJ slowly starts sawing the barrels off the shotgun, then after some flaming debris/people fall down, he starts to saw much faster. :allears:

Willing to bet that isn't just a regular person on fire.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 4, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

Also hopefully this one ends up being good.
It's by ex-Telltale people, so, hopefully? Also who even is left at Telltale at this point

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

It's by ex-Telltale people, so, hopefully? Also who even is left at Telltale at this point

Not the guys that made the first Walking Dead good, that's for sure.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Since it's apparently my week to blather about things, one of the Banner Saga guys is doing a solo-ish game called Killers and Thieves. It basically doesn't exist right now, but hey, maybe one of you jerks is the programmer he's looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jeez yeah, it really shows when you compare TWD Season 1 to everything after. Though Game of Thrones is pretty good.

• Locked thread