Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

We will need to see what else white gets, but right now, I don't think Narset is justification to switch off black into white.

Holding out for a 1 mana spell with rebound that puts a 0/1 token with prowess into play. Hell, I'd pay 1W for that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

To clarify, I mean if she stayed at $50, all the value of the set would be on her. Just like Khans, if you have a set where the EV of a pack is much higher than the MSRP of the pack, everyone opens boxes until prices go down. This is why fetches are no longer $15-20 + all the other cards have settled a good bit. If narset stays at $50 then other cards have to be worthless. If Narset is $50 and other cards have value people will crack boxes until she is lower than $50. TL;DR she won't stick at $50. But she may be at $50 until sometime after gameday when people seem to get their fill and prices start cooling off.

Khans had 50-60 dollars of value in 5 lands which DTK probably won't have.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Realistically tho that R/W deck running SFGM and a bunch of token makers and stokes seems like a fun place to try to place narset form the get go. It makes chains shittier to cast which is a huge downside but goddamn I wanna go big.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 4, 2015

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Chamale posted:

What will she double? I think she'll be good in every format where either Dig Through Time or Treasure Cruise is legal, but Modern is not on that list.

I'm giddy thinking about running Narset in Vintage. Imagine: -2 Narset, cast Demonic Tutor, find Time Walk. On your extra turn, Demonic Tutor rebounds for Yawgmoth's Will, letting you recast Time Walk.

I'm not sure it honestly even matters what you give rebound in vintage, you're winning if it resolves.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Scroll Rack reprint? :v:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Cernunnos posted:

Scroll Rack reprint?

Oh my god what a terrible idea that would be, Sultai control matches that end 1-0 every single time. I don't think they will ever print a card that durdly again (lol jeskai ascendancy whups)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I like how Ojutai in the end doesn't really care that Narset found out the truth

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

I Love You! posted:

Oh my god what a terrible idea that would be, Sultai control matches that end 1-0 every single time.
I will happily lose every FNM 0-4 until summer 2016 if it gets me affordable Scroll Racks for EDH/TL/modern burn.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I Love You! posted:

Holding out for a 1 mana spell with rebound that puts a 0/1 token with prowess into play. Hell, I'd pay 1W for that poo poo.

The mana is too lovely to be Esper and Narset is not a good reason to do it.

gently caress it, run both Narset in a Jeskai counterburn, is what I'm saying.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Khans also had 50-60 dollars of value in 5 lands which DTK probably won't have.

Yes correct, and most of the value of that set is in those 5 lands. That is why Siege Rhino is $5-8 instead of $10-15. It is why Sorin and Sarkhan are $8-10 instead of $15-20. The value of all the cards in the set when averaged out can not be greater than the price of a pack, if it is, everyone will open packs until the price is less than the price of a pack. Khans EV is $2.96. For a good while it was well over $4 when Sarkhan was $25, sorin was $20+ and fetches were $15-20 not $9-15. So stores and players opened many many many boxes and now the prices are lower.

I'm not saying Narset couldn't stay $50. If she does for her standard lifetime though, she will kill the price of all other cards in Dragons. Given 5 commands, a zillion dragons, another planeswalker to come, etc. the likelyhood she holds at $50 vs. coming down to a more sane $20-25 is really really unlikely.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Anyway, let's talk about some of the new cards that aren't Narset, shall we?

This guy seems good to me with the new 2RR dragon and Stormbreath in some sort of RG aggro shell.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

jassi007 posted:

Yes correct, and most of the value of that set is in those 5 lands. That is why Siege Rhino is $5-8 instead of $10-15. It is why Sorin and Sarkhan are $8-10 instead of $15-20. The value of all the cards in the set when averaged out can not be greater than the price of a pack, if it is, everyone will open packs until the price is less than the price of a pack. Khans EV is $2.96. For a good while it was well over $4 when Sarkhan was $25, sorin was $20+ and fetches were $15-20 not $9-15. So stores and players opened many many many boxes and now the prices are lower.

I'm not saying Narset couldn't stay $50. If she does for her standard lifetime though, she will kill the price of all other cards in Dragons. Given 5 commands, a zillion dragons, another planeswalker to come, etc. the likelyhood she holds at $50 vs. coming down to a more sane $20-25 is really really unlikely.

This is all assuming Narset is even particularly good. Narset can't win the game on her own and requires you to draw into something else that's good enough to win the game, and I don't think her abilities lend themselves well to a control deck.

New decks will emerge, of course, but right now, the only deck where I think she'd really shine is Tokens, or some kind of slow version of U/W Heroic.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 4, 2015

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

The mana is too lovely to be Esper and Narset is not a good reason to do it.

gently caress it, run both Narset in a Jeskai counterburn, is what I'm saying.

Why would I ever be esper, Jeskai tokens 4 lyfe

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I Love You! posted:

I'm not sure it honestly even matters what you give rebound in vintage, you're winning if it resolves.

Not necessarily - if you draw 6 cards, but none of those cards interacts with a Blightsteel Colossus or a storm-10 Tendrils of Agony, you might lose. Although Vintage has some deadly two-card combos like Voltaic Key + Time Vault or Time Walk + Tinker, so rebounding a Demonic Tutor with Narset means you are likely to win on the next turn.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Pay 2W and get a 2/2 body with prowess to go with it. :getin:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Elyv posted:

This guy seems good to me with the new 2RR dragon and Stormbreath in some sort of RG aggro shell.

He can actually do a pretty good Goyf impression but the setup is steep. Seems like he'd be best as a deterrent but without a dragon in hand he's just a wasted slot so ehh.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
He's a much better template than Talara's Buttalion for a big ole fat green 2-drop, that's for sure.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I Love You! posted:

He can actually do a pretty good Goyf impression but the setup is steep. Seems like he'd be best as a deterrent but without a dragon in hand he's just a wasted slot so ehh.

The biggest problem is that I have no reason to believe green dragons will ever be good since they break color pie just by being big flying dragons - the green regent is the worst one.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

This is all assuming Narset is even particularly good. Narset can't win the game on her own and requires you to draw into something else that's good enough to win the game, and I don't think her abilities lend themselves well to a control deck.

New decks will emerge, of course, but right now, the only deck where I think she'd really shine is Tokens, or some kind of slow version of U/W Heroic.

Absolutely. If she is a staple in standard control shells, those cards typically are worth top standard dollar. If she turns out to be a big fat red herring, then her price tanks accordingly. If she also doesn't end up having modern or legacy play, farther. I think she seems powerful enough to see play in at least one constructed format though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Elyv posted:

It's bad. The RG aggro deck wants to play a Rabblemaster or a Flamewake Phoenix on T2 and if not that, it wants Heir which attacks through alot of the good stuff in the format. That card is also pretty weak off the top later in the game.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Buy-a-box Promo:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Scrylands make it not a 50/50 chance?

This is the same argument people used for Domri Rade

Really, though. Scrylands are only going to be in standard for another 6 months.

I like her. She is going to soak up a lot of damage from aggro decks. She really is a noncreature-leaning version of Ashiok; a card I love anyway. So, I'm definitely going to try an Esper Walker brew after she comes out. I can see a slightly more mid-rangy Jeskai deck come out of the works with her, too, since she can dig for Ascendancy, and works well with a curve of Soulfire -> Hordeling Outburst -> Narset + convoke Stoke.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

Absolutely. If she is a staple in standard control shells, those cards typically are worth top standard dollar. If she turns out to be a big fat red herring, then her price tanks accordingly. If she also doesn't end up having modern or legacy play, farther. I think she seems powerful enough to see play in at least one constructed format though.

Probably a $15 card. I think she's about as good as Ashiok.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Angry Grimace posted:

I think she may be a bit more than that due to other formats, in particular EDH. The ultimate is absurd in a multiplayer format and it is a great draw engine for commanders in those colors. Not to mention the battlecruiser nature leading to lots of mana ready to be abused in the form of copying draw cards or extra turns.

Deofuta fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 4, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

It's bad. The RG aggro deck wants to play a Rabblemaster or a Flamewake Phoenix on T2 and if not that, it wants Heir which attacks through alot of the good stuff in the format. That card is also pretty weak off the top later in the game.

I feel like it's more conditional than bad; if there are enough cheap, efficient dragons to make this guy consistently a 3/4 for 2 then I think it's fine. Will there be? Still too early to tell.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Deofuta posted:

I think she may be a bit more than that due to other formats, in particular EDH. The ultimate is absurd in a multiplayer format and it is a great draw engine for commanders in those colors.

Oh she is going to be ridiculous in EDH, Doubling Season into Narset Ultimate is going to end a lot of Commander Friendships.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Elyv posted:

I feel like it's more conditional than bad; if there are enough cheap, efficient dragons to make this guy consistently a 3/4 for 2 then I think it's fine. Will there be? Still too early to tell.

Best case scenario you get a vanilla creature that can't get past Courser

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

I think there will be modern interst in her. Whether or not she pans out, people are looking for something to boost a control build in modern, and this card at first glance looks good. Heck I want to try her in both Jeskai and Esper control shells.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Has anyone commented on how loving awful the Narset art is? It looks like some deviant art comic book fan drawing. Especially after that art they posted and took down that looked planeswalkery and way better. Guess we know what the grand prize will be for getting the most dragon dice points at prerelease.

E: I looked up the artist and all of his other cards are great. I don't know why he seems to have lost his sense of perspective/anatomy for Narset. Those arms.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 4, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, yeah, Narset. I'm surprised at the strictly better drudge skeletons! I thought we didn't get regeneration that efficient any more.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Has anyone commented on how loving awful the Narset art is? It looks like some deviant art comic book fan drawing. Especially after that art they posted and took down that looked planeswalkery and way better. Guess we know what the grand prize will be for getting the most dragon dice points at prerelease.
The prize was supposedly rare dragons, ie probably the intro pack dragons.

I agree that the other art looked better but I don't super-hate this art given how bad it could get.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

The prize was supposedly rare dragons, ie probably the intro pack dragons.

I agree that the other art looked better but I don't super-hate this art given how bad it could get.

It could be way worse, I agree. Just going to call her Narset T-rexin'. And I was (mostly) joking about the prerelease.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
e:fb but Narset is really cool.

I Love You! posted:

Check off one more box for my unbeatable Goblinslide/Scroll of the Masters powerhouse deck, we're in Rebound City folks

:lol: I didn't think you'd still be butthurt about me mentioning Goblinslide a whole day later, but here we are.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Narsets fluff in RU reads like she's Azami but in a different setting.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bhsman posted:

:lol: I didn't think you'd still be butthurt about me mentioning Goblinslide a whole day later, but here we are.

you might think that guy was trolling you, but really, he was trolling angry grimace

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zoness posted:

Narsets fluff in RU reads like she's Azami but in a different setting.

Was Azami dealing with compulsive issues? This is a legitimate question, because Narset is ridiculously twitchy throughout the story.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

bhsman posted:

Considering I've posted multiple times that I'm actually going to have fun brewing with these dumb cards I wish you'd give it a rest.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

forbidden lesbian posted:

you might think that guy was trolling you, but really, he was trolling angry grimace

There was an entire spat yesterday where he assured me he wasn't making a personal attack and then called me mad for people insulting a pet card that I already admitted wasn't great, so yeah.

I Love You! posted:

Considering I've posted multiple times that I'm actually going to have fun brewing with these dumb cards I wish you'd give it a rest.

I think Goblinslide is decent as a 1 or 2-of in a Jeskai Tokens deck running Narset.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It could be way worse, I agree. Just going to call her Narset T-rexin'. And I was (mostly) joking about the prerelease.
Oh yeah, I just wanted to mention it since it's going to be pretty funny trying to rack up 18 points to ... Get a 6/6 flier for seven to give to THE smallest child in the building

Little Trevor, eight years old gonna be so excited with the dragons he's given

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ramos posted:

Was Azami dealing with compulsive issues? This is a legitimate question, because Narset is ridiculously twitchy throughout the story.
Sounds like she should try meditation.

• Locked thread